• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 1, 2007
12345asdf.jpg

Last edited:
Since the other thread (of the same name) has turned into a big discussion on organising the game, this is where we post our AAR's and replys to the AAR's only.

For the unknowing, this is a multiplayer AAR. Each player plays out the term of a leader (in the same game), then tells us about it, through pictures, eloquent writing :D , whatever. Periods where a leader is not being played are run hands off with the pirates.

If anyone would like to fill one of the last two positions, feel free to sign up in the other thread.

Last edited:
Congo said:
Any progress with this?

Looks as though it will be early next week.

Last edited:
Dai Viet 1419.

A nice small country in Asia commanded by Le Loi, who's also very able in the field (5-4-5)
daivietstartnu5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]The only problem was the vassalization with China, but that was taken care off very early. On the 20th of January "We went with Overthrow the Chinese oppressors! in The Vietnamese Rebellion." Vassalization was broken and war on China was declared.

Being aware we lacked strong navy; in fact no navy, a fleet of 40 galleys was ordered to achieve naval surpremacy. This would take many many years since only 2 ships at a time could be build.

Immediately after the DoW, Le Loi took 5k cavalry and rushed to the Chinese capital to secure valuable maps. By the end of March the Chinese capital was overrun and maps conquered.
chinesemapsvy4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] While several coast provs were being besieged by our forces, small armies were looting the chinese countryside; continuously playing a cat and mouse game with the enemy forces. During the war, in July of 1419, LT1 was reached. This proved to be invaluable in the many fights that were to come. As to the Chinese... they continuously sent peace offers, but we didn't even bother to respond. And who would when offered just 2 provs.
peaceofferxk9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Le Loi proved himself invaluable. Commanding the main army of 15k literally tens of thousands of enemy troops were slaughtered. Blood poured the lands while we suffered little losses.
battlemr2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] In March 1420, after annihilating 3 consequetive armies of some 15k each, Le Loi was forced to a strategical retreat, only to return the next month for pay back. It was one of the rare defeats Le Loi suffered.
On October the 13th 1420 China gave in and surrendered completely. Six provinces were added to our realm.
peacepq1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Two months later we were offered to enter an alliance
alliancefe3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]. After giving it some thought, the offer was accepted. We could only hope Myanmar wouldn't accept/offer peace as alliance leader that would deprive Dai Viet of some nice provs. In January 1421 Assam DoWed Myanmar. We of course joined our ally. By the looks of it, this alliance was starting to prove very beneficial. Still the war was a difficult one and lasted longer then expected. The following year Myanmar made peace with Taungu for a very small some of gold. Very depressing after all the effort we put into it. Still, in May we managed to conquer our first prov from Assam, reducing Assam to 1 prov. Finally our ally made a nice peace deal.

In November 1423 we managed to comquer all Arakan provs and quickly send a diplomat before our alliance leader did.
aarakanzj8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Santal and Chin joined the Dai Viet empire. The next 6 months were badly needed to bring the WE down. After this was done, it was decided to DoW Champa against whom we had a perm CB. And this time our alliance leader wasn't asked to join the war.
champapv4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I could only hope that having all these provs of different religions wouldn't prove to be too much to handle. Buddhist and Confucian were put at 100%, Hindu at 50% and the rest (Muslim & Christianity) at 0%

End of Part I

Nice update Nagel, I can't wait for the next update :)

Excellent early progress! You kept very busy during Le Loi's reign, didnt you :D :cool:

Dai Viet Part 2: 1424 onwards

Not very long after I had Dowed Champa and it's ally, Bengal decides to move against us. Most likely they want the recently conquered province of Santal since it's Hindu.
bengalaa8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Still this opens possibilities. It would be nice to conquer the CoT at Ganges. Unfortunately the lack of troops there is problematic but due to the constant building of ships, Dai Viet is starting to have a nice fleet. As to Champa... Le Loi came, saw and conquered.
champa2ga5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] A year later things aren't going too well in the west. It was only possible to siege Ganges for short amount of times and now the enemy is knocking at the door.
bengal2ou1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I'm pondering if I should just give up Santal. It would solve several probs due to its wrong religion, difficult accessability for my troops (no land connection) and of course the many DoWs I could expect in the future. Screw it. Le Loi will not accept defeats.
By the beginning of 1426 Champa has been conquered and I make my demands. Of course it's accepted.
champavictoryma3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Due to it's wrong religion and 50% success rate, a missionary is sent to convert Da Lat to our religion. But then things went slightly worse. Well, that may be an understatement. Things went downhill fast. Bengal enlisted the support of 2 nations in theire war against me and Cambodia (joined by Vientiane) decides to move against Dai Viet. I have no choice but to ask Myanmar to come to my aid.
morewarsdo8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
But 1427 appears to be a turning point. As WE is slowly going up, Bengal and it's allies are drawn into another war closer at home. Against Vijayanagar. By the midst of the year, Vientiane is totally conquered and a peace is quickly made before Champa (as alliance leader) spoils things. Laos and Sarakham are handed over leaving Vientiane with Mekong, their capital. And in September Cambodia suffers the same fate.
peace2vp5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
In the west however our provinces of Santal and Chin have fallen into Bengalese hands and of course they refused a WP.
Only in July 1429 do Bengal and it's allies accept peace after Le Loi conquered back the 2 provs. Unfortunately the high war exhaustion going through the nation forces Le Loi to make a WP instead of going for the CoT at Ganges. In May 1430 Ayutthaya has also been brought to its knees.
ayutthayazr7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
They're forced to give up Kwai and Phuket leaving them with Bangkok their capital.
Finally some peace. The +16 WE raging through the country is causing probs as provinces have begun to rebel. Peace is desperately needed.
But then... China (joined by Korea) DoWs. This is very bad news indeed. The question was just how bad...

End of Part 2

Nagel said:
Finally some peace. The +16 WE raging through the country is causing probs as provinces have begun to rebel. Peace is desperately needed.
But then... China (joined by Korea) DoWs. This is very bad news indeed. The question was just how bad...

End of Part 2

Things were going rather well, I'd say... until the dragon woke from its slumber :D

Nagel said:
This is very bad news indeed. The question was just how bad...

Im guessing very bad (its hard to comment after Ive already seen the final result tho)

Im abit surprised that you actually employed a missionary.

Ack! Buy the dragon some warm milk and cookies or something so it goes back to sleep!

I'm really not surprised though. Your BB must be through the roof. You're waking up ALL the AIs :)

Dai Viet Part 3: 1430 onwards

China declaring war on us poor Dai Viet was somewhat frustrating :( . The high WE at the start of the war forced Le Loi to quickly relocate forces. While small besieging troops and looting troops were left in many provs, the main army chased the Chinese to their deaths. Fortunately China DoWed without having too much troops on the field.
chinawc8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] As to Korea, they were content with sending 1k troops from time to time.
By April 1431 China was almost totally under Le Loi's control. Unfortunately the Koreans had conscripted two big armies in their two provs which prevented an attack on them. Pity. But our peasants were also starting to rebel more and more...
peasantsaq0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Two months later the dragon finally gave in. The offer wasn't spectacular but welcome nonetheless.
peaceoc4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Dai Viet was slowly turning into the biggest nation in Asia. All it lacked was a CoT.
expansionoh4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Now all that was needed was a quick peace with Korea. But they continuously refused our WP & money offers. And then the inevitable happened. On Sept 1st Chagatai Khanate, noticing they now have a land border with us, DoWs. And our ally Myanmar decides this is the time to dishonor our alliance.
Oh how those vultures are gathering for the final kill :mad: . I wonder if things could be even worse for Le Loi :( ...

End of Part 3

(Short update I know :rolleyes: :D )

EDIT: Badboy atm was 31/35

Chinas offer seemed spectacular enough to me :)

As for the vultures, well Id say you had your fill already - time for somebody else to eat.

Capt Janszoon said:
As for the vultures, well Id say you had your fill already - time for somebody else to eat.
E tu, Brute!? :D

Nagel said:
E tu, Brute!? :D

Who me? :D, of course not, I am just sympathetic to others needs :D

Dai Viet Part 4: 1431 onwards

Peace was the number one priority at this moment. Warexhaustion was taring the empire apart. In October 1431 a small some of money (50d) was sent to Korea and the Chagatai Khanate. And to our relief both accepted the offer. Finally some well needed peace. The peace lasted until the midst of 1432. In July 1432 the province of Da Lat embraced the state religion. Enjoyed by this, Le Loi decided it was time for another war. Even though there were still rebels roaming the empire. Champa was Dowed and their ally Ayutthaya joined against Le Loi. But without a garrison, they're capitals were ripe for the taking.
war3si9.jpg
[/IMG]
At the same time Le Loi pondered what to do with the tens of thousands of soldiers and the 40 galley fleet. Why get warexhaustion when fighting 2 defenseless nations when there was another one much more challenging and full of wealth. Le Loi boarded the fleet commanding the main army of 40k and the fleet headed east. On November 1432 the shores of the enemy were reached and war was declared.
japankf2.jpg
[/IMG]
The plan was to invade Nippon from the south and destroy all Japanese armies before starting the siege. A small covering force was left behind in each prov to ensure the enemy couldn't build troops. Slowly but steadily Le Loi made his way north.
In July 1433 the Champa capital fell to our forces and they were assimilated into the Dai Viet empire.
annexchampajy2.jpg
[/IMG]
And in December of that year Ayutthaya suffered the same fate as Bangkok became Dai Viet territory. But the rebels had still not been subdued and were becoming a slight nuisance as provinces in the south and north were taken over.
annexbangkokgh7.jpg
[/IMG]
Just two weeks later our former allies, Myanmar, decided the time was ripe and Dowed us. What Le Loi had expected a long time ago had happened. But soon they would know what the price for treason was.
myanmarfr7.jpg
[/IMG]
The war on the eastern front progressed slowly. Most Japanese forces had been annihilated but Le Loi lacked the forces to besiege all Japanese provs. This caused the conquest of Japan to progress very slowly. Encouraged by this, the enemy even dared to attack our homeland and managed to take one unfortified province.
homeconquestxm0.jpg
[/IMG]
But still our confidence was very high. Depite the amount of wars, low stability, rising war exhaustion and having 3 religions. It was so high that war was declared yet again. This time on Vientiane and their ally Cambodia. But later on some doubts arose. Maybe this wasn't a very good move as Bengal responded by DoWing us in September 1434. They were backed up by Hyderabad, Malwa and Delhi. And since we lacked troops on our western borders, the provinces of Santal and Chin were totally defenseless.

But by the end of 1434 some hope rose as Nippon was totally conquered. This would allow Le Loi and tens of thousands of troops to board for India. After they declined our peace offer, Nippon made the same offer we had made. They gave up all provs except their capital.
japanpeacebj4.jpg
[/IMG]
The only problem that hampered out expansion was the number of diplomats. Being at war, Dai Viet gained a mere 2 diplomats a year. The Cambodian capital had been conquered in January 1435 but lacking diplomats, it took some time before they could be annexed. A decision was made to try and delay any annexations so that the diplomats could be used on more needed areas. Still it didn't take long before Cambodia was annexed
cambodiapeaceok1.jpg
[/IMG]
The continuous victories boosted Le Loi's confidence and ego and in August 1435 another DoW was issued. This time against Malacca and their ally Pegu. There was no limit to Le Loi's expansion dreams. We were much enjoyed when the small nation of Taungu joined Vientiane against us. Another easy prey. Meanwhile to the east China was gathering forces at our border. At the same time Nippon joined their alliance with Korea. It wouldn't be before long that a war would start.
Myanmar had almost been subdued but they had, as expected, managed to conquer Santal and CHin. It would take a lot more time and troops to liberate those cities.
worldwardb6.jpg
[/IMG]
On March the 24th 1436 Vientiane was finally subdued. Their capital had been captured and the province of Loa Cai liberated from their claws. Another annexation had been accomplished. But slowly things started to become more and more precarious. The wars were harder than expected and rebellions throughout the empire were becoming more and more frequent.
Then the expected happened. China, joined by Korea and Nippon decided to strike at us. The first world war was now a fact.
worldwar1qn5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
As asian tensions reached its peak, the outcome of this world war would decide which nation would be the new major power in Asia. Would the dragon become victorious and reclaim some of its lost territory? Or was it just the last breath of a sick and dying empire and would Le Loi prevail to the glory of Dai Viet?

The final act had started.

EDIT: I hope ppl can open this page due to the amount and size of the pics... Only 1 more part to go.

The scene is set and the time of reckoning is at hand.

Go, China, go China, go China, oooh oooh :p

Seriously though, you went like a bull at a gate, smashing all comers :D

I should have known you'd be for the opposite side. Yet again :D .
As to all the wars. Well I figured, taken Le Loi's life span, it was time to start an all out campaign. Most likely this campaign would destroy Dai Viet in 10 years or so. But as long as it didn't happened before Le Loi's death, I couldn't care less :D .

Still, this campaign made me wonder. Accustomed to play on the hardest levels, I was surprised at the easy things were going thus far. It even made me wonder if a WC wasn't possible right from the start. It would be harder, but definately more challenging.

Last edited:
Capt Janszoon said:
The scene is set and the time of reckoning is at hand.

Go, China, go China, go China, oooh oooh :p

Seriously though, you went like a bull at a gate, smashing all comers :D

i wonder who will you be cheering for when Babur comes.