• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XXXV - The Emperor Converts

@GreatUberGeek: I got a good laugh at seeing an Orthodox Venice! And we are on a path towards Italian domination, only power in Italy that really rivals us now is Urbino. Treviso was a really great victory, probably due to me being a bit ahead in military tech more than anything else.

@Derahan: I'm wondering if Venice may lean Orthodox sometimes due to the lands it usually acquires in the Balkans. It'd make sense that they convert if the bulk of their population is Orthodox.

~~~~~
Chapter XXXV - The Emperor Converts

A few months would pass by with little of consequence happening in Milan. Until December of 1507, when word from the Sforza’s that ruled France would enter the Ducal Court. Giovanni sat in council alongside his son Sforza Maria Sforza who was for the first time in attendance at council, along with Vittorio Bargnani, and the usual councilors. The mood was rather high at the beginning of this session, for Milan had conquered Treviso, and had survived the Sweat. Tensions with the peasants had died down temporarily after Archbishop Ippolito d’Este’s purge of suspected heretics. In fact there hadn’t been a public burning in almost two months now.

There were two things, however, that would destroy the victorious mood in that room. Both were items that Vittorio had on the agenda. “Lords,” the statesman began, “it has come to our attention that the Habsburgs are laying claim to our newly acquired lands of Treviso.”

“Why would our dear Archduke of Austria want that bastion of heresy?” Archbishop Ippolito asked, more to himself than to anyone in particular.

220px-Cardinal_Ippolito_d%E2%80%99Este%2C_by_Bartolomeo_Veneto_%281502-1531%29.jpg

Portrait of Cardinal Ippolito d'Este, Archbishop of Milan and Ezstergom, by Bartolomeo Veneto

“Ancestral rights, I’d imagine,” the Captain-General of Milan mused. “Surely they wouldn’t risk war, though, due to our alliance with their one and only friend Castille.”

“They’re not prepared for a war, but even so, it is worrisome,” Vittorio replied. “I’d imagine the Kings of Castille, would side with the Habsburgs if it came down to it. They’re not very happy with our previous expedition against Venice.”

“We’d be left to once again rely solely on the power of the Italian Princes if Austria attacks. I doubt our cousins of Italy would have the stomach to face down the Habsburgs,” Giovanni stated. “We would be well served if we send one of our diplomats to Vienna to begin repairing relations with the Archduke. That way we may save ourselves from destruction through diplomatic mean rather than those of war.”

Vittorio nodded in agreement, for the first time in a while he actually agreed with Giovanni’s ideas, which pleased him immensely. “I will send one of our diplomats immediately.”

Sforza Maria shifted in his seat, “I say we have our Captain-General train more men, another ten thousand and we would be able to match man for man with the Habsburgs. And then let them attack us if they wish, we will show them the might of Italy.”

Giovanni shook his head realizing his son had yet a lot to learn, “Even with ten thousand more men in the Armata di Lombardia we would be hard pressed to defend our lands, Sforza Maria. And should Castille side with their long-time friend Austria we’d be outnumbered two-to-one again. Then, we would get attacked by Venice for they would see their chance to lay claim to Verona. And the deathblow would come from our cousins in France who would see their chance to capture Milan itself. We would be swamped by enemies with nowhere to turn, no friends, no allies of note to save us from destruction. Sometimes war is not the answer. Sometimes we must be patient and send sweet little lies to our foes so that they think we respect them and their power.”

Sforza Maria shook his head, not really understanding his father’s brief lesson, yet embarrassed enough not to open his mouth again. Instead, he sat and watched as the meeting returned to its usual discussions of relations between this prince and that prince, and what to do with the Protestants. All Sforza really wanted was a war to prove himself in. And thus he sat quietly, waiting.

“Which brings us once again to another issue in regards to your cousins in France, my lords,” Vittorio began again. “The King of France is even unhappier with our conquest of Treviso than are the Habsburgs.”

“What do you mean?” Giovanni asked slightly worried.

Vittorio pulled the parchment out and looked at for a brief moment and coughed before he began to highlight the main points of the lengthy French complaint. The French wrote that a subject such as Milan should not declare wars without their sovereign’s approval, and continued onwards listing the reasons why Milan was rightfully a possession and vassal of France and therefore unable to declare war on its own accord. In closing, the French King levied a warning against his “beloved” Giovanni, stating that he would hate to have to invade beautiful Lombardi just to put down a disobedient dog.

2013-09-17_00070_zpsc264ab0c.jpg

“What was father thinking when he hatched the plot to install a Sforza on the French Throne?” Giovanni moaned. “It’s created a catastrophe that I have to deal with every-time I wake.”

“Perhaps we should claim France for ourselves then, father,” Sforza Maria spoke up at last, knowing this would be laughed at and ridiculed but it was an idea that had to be spoken. “By rights we could take his crown as our own and rule France from Milan.”

Giovanni shook his head, and Vittorio just looked down at the table unsure of what to say to the heir to Milan. “Son, the French would never accept our rule. They barely accept his rule. They only deal with it because he is a descendant of the former ruling house, and the nobility stays too busy with the minor wars he plans and occupies their time with.”

“So we placate the French as well?” Sforza Maria asked. “Before long all Milan will be known for is bending our knees to the powerful. When will we stand up to them and let them know they cannot dictate terms to us?”

“When we are ready, son,” Giovanni answered exasperated. “For now we bow, and placate our enemies. And one day perhaps when you are Duke you can stand-up and fight the apocalyptic war you so desire.”

The council meeting drew to a close then, with the lords of Milan leaving the room feeling slightly more pessimistic about the future of their beloved duchy than they had upon the commencement of the meeting. Dark clouds loomed overhead, and the future would revolve around diplomatic niceties rather than Milanese arms. The wrong step by a diplomat in Vienne or Paris, could spell the destruction of Milan. Thus, the money Giovanni had gained from the war with Venice and placed into constructing new star forts throughout Lombardia was a godsend, as it would make everyone in Milan feel a bit safer should the great powers of Europe come calling.

1508 would begin with the dark clouds of threats looming on the horizon. There was no assurance from the Habsburgs or Sforza’s of France that war would not be waged. The Armata di Lombardia sat on constant alert ready to march East or West dependent upon which power declared war first. The populace would begin to grow weary of the imminent threat as new taxes were levied to support the army. Rumors of heresy once again began to sprout, if true no one knew where their secret meetings were held or who was sponsoring the Protestants. This time not even Ippolito d’Este could find the source to pull the weed from the ground.

The University of Parma, however, continued with their studies to further the power of Milanese arms. This time they announced improvements to the ships and encouraged Duke Giovanni to spend lavishly upon ensuring the fleet was equipped with the new ideas. And by August of that year the star fort outside of Milan was completed.

2013-09-17_00073_zpsc5bc5aa7.jpg

One day in November Giovanni and Sforza Maria were out inspecting the new fortifications, when Archbishop Ippolito d’Este would ride up to them.

“Lords,” the Archbishop greeted looking dour, “News from the Imperial Court.”

“What tidings, your eminence?” Giovanni asked as he looked up at the daunting fortifications.

“Emperor Vladimir, King of Bohemia, has forsaken the true religion and has taken communion with the Protestants!” Ippolito exclaimed. “The Prince of Luneburg also has sworn to follow the Emperor’s path of heresy.”

2013-09-17_00075_zps6b558ff9.jpg

Father and son exchanged looks of apprehension. The Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire forsaking the Catholic beliefs and becoming a heretic was worrisome. But, it could be an opportunity as well.

“Perhaps this is what we need to bring Austria and even France back to our side,” Giovanni said as he continued to inspect the star fort.

“Form a Catholic League to destroy the upstart religion?” Sforza Maria said quietly to his father. “Use it to depose Vladimir and install the Habsburgs upon the throne, they would owe everything to us then.”

Giovanni shook his head, “No, instead we shall begin negotiations on forming a Catholic League, headed by us, to do our bidding. Your eminence, go to Bologna and inform the Pope of our unwavering loyalty to the Holy Church, and whisper in the ears of your fellow Cardinals about our desires.”

“Yes, your grace,” Ippolito answered as he turned his horse around and rode off. This turn of events would commence an era of turbulence within the Empire that would see religious wars erupt between former friends and family members, as two opposing creeds began to vie for supremacy.

~~~~~

2013-10-21_00001_zps9613598c.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter XXXVI - Protestantism Goes on the Offensive

@Derahan: It is and it shall grow ever bigger! Well hopefully anyway... And the religious wars are only just beginning, I'm disappointed that the Emperor decided to embrace Protestantism but eh oh well I suppose.

~~~~~
Chapter XXXVI - Protestantism Goes on the Offensive

The end of 1509 saw an embarrassing crisis regarding the newly acquired wineries of Tuscany, of which had fallen under Pisan-Milanese control. The Sforza King in France, wrote rather scathingly of the disgusting taste of the latest vintage that had been shipped to him. The end result was several leaders looking unfavorably upon Duke Giovanni II Maria Sforza for his inability to establish the same kind of quality control of which the Florentine princes had established. The scandal, however, truly had nothing to do with Giovanni’s control over the vineyards, but rather with the unhappiness of the land-owners with regard to the taxes levied upon them by Marchese Gherardo d’Ivrea of Pisa. The taxes had increased so that the Marchese could pass funds up to Sforza for protection as part of the contract of vassalage. Of course Milan’s rivals in Austria and in France did not wish to hear of such excuses.

2013-10-21_00004_zpsb50f71f0.jpg

The scandal would eventually die down by the Spring of 1510, when other more worrisome news began spread throughout Italy.

“These Protestants are proving to be rather troublesome,” Giovanni murmured after listening to Vittorio Bargnani’s report about Luneburg declaring war upon Brandenburg merely to force Brandenburg to part with Rome.

2013-10-21_00005_zps8b618893.jpg

“The Protestants aren’t the only problem,” Archbishop Ippolito stated. “Our Catholic counter-parts have no desire to join with us in the making of a Catholic League.”

Giovanni shook his head slowly. Ippolito’s overtures in Bologna before the College of Cardinals had failed, and failed miserably. France and Austria found the Protestant threat to be a mere annoyance and were more concerned with their Catholic rivals. “Well perhaps this war in Germany will make them realize the error in their judgment,” Giovanni said.

“I would have thought the Emperor becoming Protestant would be enough,” Ippolito said sullenly. “Now, there are rumors circulating that Bohemia is going to attempt to enforce their heresy down the throat of the electors and force the entire Empire to break with Rome.”

“Well, lords, there are more problems in the world than just heresy,” Vittorio said wanting to change the subject. He had grown tired of the persecutions, and hatred towards the heretics. He didn’t agree with their dogma but he also didn’t feel it necessary to fight and burn men over what they chose to believe. “Castille, has sent word that they wish us to join them in their war against Aragon and Provence.”

2013-10-21_00007_zps9e4df111.jpg

“We should help them,” Sforza Maria Sforza said speaking for the first time in this session. “They’re our only powerful ally, Aragon still wishes to reclaim their lands in Sicily. Father, let’s call up the Armata di Lombardia, and let me march with you.”

Giovanni looked at his son, who had grown into manhood quickly. He sighed and nodded, “Very well, Vittorio, inform Castille that we will help them in their cause. And let them know the Armata di Lombardia shall march on Provence within the fortnight.”

Within two weeks the Armata di Lombardia set off from Milan once again, although this time it would march West, through Cuneo, where Captain-General Fabrizio was still stationed manning the western approaches to Milan. They would camp in Cuneo for several days restocking on supplies before setting out to Provence, to lay siege to Duke Rene III de Valois of Provence’s capital.

Sforza Maria Sforza rode alongside his father Giovanni II the whole way, learning the names of the lieutenants and captains of the army. By July of 1510, Giovani and Sforza Maria had reached Provence, and began laying siege. There was bad news once they arrived in the province, as it appeared the Provencal military had gathered all the provisions needed for a siege and once they finished had burnt their fields. This made it near impossible to keep the forces of Milan fed as there was little to scavenge outside the walls. Which would ultimately lead to many dying of starvation after the first few months of the siege.

With the fields of Provence charred and barren, men from the Armata di Lombardia would ride out far and wide to steal food. Some of them went so far as into Savoyard territory of Nice, and some ventured into Dauphine raiding farms along the borders to bring food to their brothers that were laying siege. This caused a diplomatic nightmare of course, upsetting both the Duke of Savoy and the King of France, both of which were demanding recompense for the victims.

Giovanni, however, did not see the point in paying but rather wrote a letter to Vittorio Bargnani to hire a new corps of diplomats and send them straight away to the affected territories to try and calm tensions.

2013-10-21_00011_zpsb419d5c0.jpg

Meanwhile, the siege dragged on, the amount of starvation slowly dwindled as supply trains picked up their pace from Milan. And by January of 1511, Provence opened its gates to Giovanni and his son Sforza Maria.

Shortly after taking the city of Aix-en-Provence, Giovanni wrote a letter to the King of Castille informing him of the victory. When, a message from Ippolito came in announcing that Ragusa had ended its time of Religious Turbulence with their King announcing his formal conversion to the Protestant faith.

2013-10-21_00014_zps6c260055.jpg

After a few weeks of waiting Giovanni received word from the King of Castille to march on Avignon, so once more he gathered the Armata di Lombardia and began the march. They would engage the small remaining forces of Rene III de Valois outside Avignon in April, where the Duke of Provence’s small force of 2,000 men were slaughtered and routed almost immediately upon entering the field.

As the Armata di Lombardia began laying siege to Avignon, Rene III de Valois sued for peace with Castille, offering his terms of surrender which included him ending all treaties with Aragon as well as paying Castille 22 ducats. With Provence knocked out of the war, Giovanni and his son Sforza Maria saw no point in marching their men through the Pyrenees to attack Aragon, so they called it quits, and marched back to Milan where they would receive more disturbing news about the spread of the heretical Protestants.

2013-10-21_00017_zpsa7402c40.jpg

Last edited:
Disturbing news from Germany indeed! :( The heretics must surely be rooted out! How big is Luneburg? Either BR is very small, they are very big, or they are suicidal maniacs. :p

@GreatUberGeek: Very disturbing. Luneburg actually is only 3 provinces around this time, and Brandenburg is only 2 so it isn't that lopsided of a battle. Although one that Luneburg will probably win.

~~~~~​

So I was going to post an update today, but I got to writing it and realized I needed a visual to see how certain people are connected in my game. At least the major players so far in the AAR. I ended up combing through save game files, screenshots, notes, and a few history sites, to develop a small family tree of sorts. EUIV makes making one of these rather difficult.

So there's a mix of fictional/game peoples and historic people like Alessandro Sforza's line that ruled in Pesaro. I only included two of Ludovico's kids, since he really was of little importance in this timeline, mostly due to Giovanni being an adult, had there been a regency like in real life Milan Ludovico may have come out on top.

OfficialSforzaFamilyTree_zps4ec26a13.jpg

Over there on the far right was the only way I could reconcile King Nicolas Henri Sforza of France's claim to the throne. His father Bosio was one of Muzio Sforza's few true legitimate children, so I picked a random princess out on wikipedia who seemed to be suited decently to give birth to Nicolas Henri around he right time. Which is why Yolande de Valois is here as Bosio's wife, in real life she was married to the Duke of Savoy if I remember right.

Now I put the CoA's of the realms that the Duke or Kings ruled over. The one that tends to be in the middle is Urbino's, which is another realm I sort of messed with history's strings. I decided that Francesco's daughter married old man Federigo and hence the reason why the Duke's of Urbino enjoy the name Francesco Maria.

The date's beneath the CoAs denote the years in which the ruler ruled that realm.

Like I said I was going to be mentioning Matteo and Galeazzo Maria in this next update so instead of leaving everyone to scratch their heads I figured I would do this so that you guys could see the relations a little. Plus it helps me keep things a little bit more stable come the narrative and who is who.

Wow tnick! I have to say that I really enjoy your work on CKII AARs so this one had been on my list to read for a while now and I was definitely not disappointed. It's probably my favorite of yours to date!

As far as the gameplay goes, if France and Austria don't change their stances via a potential catholic league then it appears that Milan may be forced to play the waiting game.

Personally, I'd love to see you stay part of the HRE and drive the protestant scum back to Ragusa where the belong!

Also, any chance you'll give us an overview of what the rest of the world looks like?

Good work with the time line, very interesting to see a visualisation of the family connections in your game, and I can imagine it was no fun task trawling through the save games to compile this!

Chapter XXXVII – Protestantism Spreads to Verona

@ScribleScrable: Glad you have gotten the chance to come by and check this one out! It's definitely more challenging to write and develop a narrative for. The updates usually take a long time to write, where as with CKII I can get an update done in about an hour.

And you are right, if France or Austria don't change their attitude towards me I'll definitely have to sit back and wait. Only thing that helps me with France is an alliance with Castille, which would probably help me potentially win a war should France invade, or at least give me a fighting chance. But Austria is the wild card, because they have better relations with Castille and a strong alliance with that Spanish superpower, so if Austria declares war on me, it'll be me and Urbino trying to save Italy from invasion. I'd like to see an Imperial Milan as well, but the Germans are prone to Protestantism so I don't know if I'll get a chance to ever even be elected as Kaiser.

As far as a map of what the known world looks like, I don't have one at the moment I can look for one, but the world hasn't changed a whole lot. I hate to say it in this game I've been more focused on the happenings of Italy and our neighbors, and rarely ever look at the rest of Europe accept when I start the game back up.

@Seelmeister: Thank you! I felt having a visual would help in preventing me from screwing up how people are related when I write. And also to help the reader see how some of the key characters are connected. I actually had no idea whether Nicolas Henri was still King of France so the research into this helped out a lot as it showed that France is now ruled by Louis XII Sforza after a four year Regency Council. But it was kind of interesting to make that family tree, I'm a bit of a geneology fan, what wasn't fun was actually formatting the tree so I could post it here. That took a lot of work!

Also I discovered that Galeazzo's regnal number should have been the III not the I, but the game counts Galeazzo Maria all as one name and therefore didn't register that there had been two other Galeazzos. So I put the correct regnal number for him in the family tree.

~~~~~
Chapter XXXVII – Protestantism Spreads to Verona

Upon entering the Castello Sforzesco Duke Giovanni II and Sforza Maria were met by an obviously distraught Archbishop Ippolito d’Este, who stood near the entryway to the council chambers resting his hand upon little Matteo Sforza’s head. Matteo Sforza was Giovanni’s second son and all of 4 years old; his youngest son was Galeazzo Sforza who was 2 years old and being cared for by the nurses still. When Giovanni saw the look on Ippolito’s face he stopped, knowing that there was going to be some emergency or calamitous tidings come from the Archbishop’s mouth.

“Your majesty,” Ippolito d’Este said bowing, “I am pleased to see you return from your campaign in Provence. And not a moment too soon, we have urgent matters to discuss with regards to Verona.”

Giovanni’s head felt like spinning, had the Venetians launched an attack? Or was it Austria? “What urgent matters?” Sforza Maria grumbled.

Ippolito sighed and bent down and whispered to Matteo to run a long upstairs to his chamber, to which the young prince resisted and complained. But he would be swept up in his older brother’s arms and carried away to his room, “It is time for the grouchy Condotierre to take his nap, little brother,” Sforza Maria could be heard saying as he walked down the hall leaving his father and the Archbishop of Milan alone.

Giovanni and Ippolito walked into the council chambers and had a seat. Wine was poured for the Duke as he had grown thirsty, “So what of Verona?” Giovanni said after taking a large gulp of wine.

“The Protestants have ransacked the churches, torn the idols down and thrown the priests out of town,” Ippolito answered. “There are widespread rumors that they may even rise up in rebellion.”

Giovanni was shocked by this report, “I thought you had stamped out the Protestants.”

Ippolito looked down at his hands, and said, “In Milan, and Parma, and Cremona, yes I had. But Verona I found no traces of heresy, your majesty, I imagine the Protestants immigrated there after the sack of Treviso, fleeing for safety. They probably laid low and held secret meetings, persuaded others to join them.”

2013-10-21_00019_zps59096c19.jpg

“This is highly unacceptable, your eminence,” Giovanni said shaking his head. “You have failed in preventing its spread, and now they have taken up root in one of our most important possessions.”

The two fell silent as Ippolito decided it was in his best interest to tread carefully. Angering a sovereign, especially a Sforza was known to be a quick way to end one’s life. Surely Giovanni would not kill a Prince of the Church, though, or at least Ippolito hoped. As the Archbishop of Milan tried to find the correct words to diffuse the situation the doors swung open and the aging statesman Vittorio Bargnani walked in.

“Welcome home your majesty,” the old man said smiling as he strode towards the table and took his seat. “I bring the good news that Aragon has surrendered to Castille, handing over the provinces of Barcelona and Navarre.”

2013-10-21_00022_zpsb5ce850e.jpg

Ippolito sighed thankful for Vittorio’s interruption and hoping that his good news would help calm the anger he had seen rising in Giovanni’s face. But the news didn’t seem to take Giovanni’s mind off of the recent disaster in Verona, “Vittorio, did you know of this calamity in Verona?”

The diplomat leaned forward obviously aware of the tension between his sovereign and the Archbishop, he stared long and hard at Ippolito thinking, before he answered, “Yes, I am aware of the situation. The Protestants of Treviso had fled the city, and some of them settled in Verona. It should be noted my lord that the Papacy has not been all that willing to confront the spreading heresy. The Pope’s have been demoralized sitting in exile in Bologna. And I imagine this is why every attempt Ippolito has made to form a Catholic League has fallen on deaf ears. The Austrians and French would agree to it if the Pope blessed it.”

“I do not care of what the Pope feels nor wants,” Giovanni growled. “You, your eminence, have burned many at the stake, and it has led to the spread of this noxious weed instead of ridding the world of it. Your failures weaken me and my lands, sowing disunity amongst my people.”

Ippolito looked down at his hands frightened that he may very well end up on the stake before this meeting reached its conclusion, “They are my failures, your majesty, and I desire to rectify them immediately.”

“I imagine the populace was none too happy about seeing their fellow friends burnt alive,” Vittorio mused. “Discontent is a weed, and I daresay that the people of Verona have seen it fit to embark on the path of heresy in revolt to the Archbishops pogrom of burning all heretics.”

“Your eminence,” Giovanni started, “I think it is time you go to Bologna to take your place there in the College of Cardinals as is your right. Your failures and inability act as a shepherd of our people’s souls makes your presence here no longer needed. I will appoint a Vicar for you in your stead. And hope that you will be of more use in Bologna than you were here.”

Ippolito stood slowly pushing himself away from the table and stepped away slowly and carefully.

“And, your eminence, be sure to continue to act in our favor when you arrive in Bologna. For, if you do anything to upset us…” Giovanni trailed off for a minute and then continued, “…we will see your life follow the same end as those you burned.”

Vittorio watched as the Archbishop left the chambers, the last time he would see the man. The head diplomat of Milan thought that Ippolito would avoid Bologna and head to diocese in Esztergom and seek protection from the Hungarian King. But there would be quarter for the Archbishop there either. The Hungarians were in a state of continual civil war between pretenders, Ottomons, the Emperor, and lately bands of Protestant rebels. Perhaps, Ippolito, would return to Bologna and serve the remainder of his life as Cardinal and working for the Pope.

After the Archbishop left, Giovanni drank some more wine, sitting there obviously brooding and deep in thought. Vittorio began to wonder if he should leave, but there was still some more news he had to inform his majesty of, “Duke Francesco Maria of Urbino is requesting we join him in his war of conquest against the Kingdom of Naples, my lord.”

2013-10-21_00023_zpsf9cfe105.jpg

Giovanni grunted and threw his now empty cup across the room. His anger over Verona was obviously not extinguished. “So be it,” was all he said as he stood and left the chambers, leaving Vittorio alone to interpret what those three words had meant.

Glad to say I've caught up here. Very good stuff, as ever – plenty of drama and intrigue. :)

Liking the family tree a lot, too. Hopefully we'll some more graphics like this in the future – though I can imagine the time it took to make. Very nicely done indeed.

Looking forward to more!

Chapter XXXVIII - The Second Urbino-Neapolitan War

@sansastark: Glad you are enjoying and thank you for the praises! Hopefully I can unite Italy soon, still have some hurdles that need to jumped through though.

@DensleyBlair: Glad you have caught up! I'll definitely be keeping the family tree up to date, and post a new one every so often when their are changes that need to be made, but this one should be good for the time being, at least for the next 20 years or so. And future ones will be way easier to develop now that I have the formatting down. Any other kind of graphics you (or anyone else) would like to see developed? I recently attempted to make my own map of Italy and surrounding regions but that turned out fairly horrible!

~~~~~
Chapter XXXVIII - The Second Urbino-Neapolitan War

Vittorio Bargnani had decided that his Duke’s outburst had meant Milan would support Urbino’s war of aggression against the King of Naples. He sent word out to Duke Francesco Maria da Montefeltro ensuring that the arms of Milan would arrive within a few weeks. However, Giovanni and his son Sforza Maria would not march south immediately, but rather would march upon Naples northern Italian ally Ferrara.

After the Armata di Lombardia left Milan to lend aid in Urbino’s cause against the Neapolitans, he would receive word from Bologna that the Pope had called a Crusade via the request of the Castillians against Algiers. He decided he need not write to Giovanni informing him of this news however, for Castille had not requested Milanese assistance in the Crusade, and the answer would probably have been no anyway or at least Vittorio had concluded as much.

2013-10-21_00026_zps65fb32fb.jpg

Vittorio acted more or less as de facto Regent in Giovanni’s absence, running the day to day administration of the duchy. He also occasionally checked in on Matteo and Galeazzo Maria, the two young brothers of Sforza Maria. The Regent was growing old and frail though, in fact Vittorio even began realizing his own mortality and that his life was in its twilight.

As he went about his business he would receive news from Ferrara that Giovannia and Sforza Maria had taken it for Urbino, and forced the Ferrarans into a peace in which they severed all ties with Naples. As well as profusely apologizing to the Sforza’s for rising up against the very family that had rescued their principality from fair Florence’s domination.

2013-10-21_00031_zpsb9777cf3.jpg

Unfortunately the victory over Ferrara was not all well and good as Vittorio began hearing whispers that the Gonzaga family in Mantua was clamoring to swallow the now weakened principality. The news worried Vittorio, who attempted to write a message to his lord, but found his hands incapable of holding steady. He was brought to tears by his weakness, realizing just how quickly his body was giving up its fight against time. He brought in his secretary Geronimo Lamberti, and informed him to write a message to his lord and sovereign Duke Giovanni Maria Sforza.

~~~~~​
“What is it, father?” Sforza Maria asked as they sat around a table in the command pavilion along with a young lieutenant named Luchino Testi. Giovanni remained silent, brooding over the document in his hands. “Father?”

The Armata di Lombardia had yet to invade the Neapolitan King’s sovereign lands, for after Giovanni’s swift occupation of Ferrara they had made their way south to Naples other friend and ally Siena. Both Siena and Ferrara had had Visconti men placed upon their thrones, distant relatives of the Giovanni’s by way of his grandmother Bianca Maria Visconti. Both Dukes had sworn allegiances with the crown of Naples and the Trastamara family in hopes of one day having the strength to reclaim Milan.

Giovanni shook his head as he let go of the parchment. “Our most trusted confidant Vittorio Bargnani seems to be dying,” the Duke of Milan replied finally. “He was unable to write us, and had his secretary Geronimo Lamberti write in his stead.”

“What does Lamberti say?” Sforza Maria asked.

“The Gonzagas of Mantua are assembling an army. It seems they see they’re chance to sack and claim Ferrara in the name of the duke’s d’Este wife.”

“And?”

“They’d easily win their war,” Giovanni breathed in heavily. It was hard to decipher for those sitting around the table if their Duke troubled by the Mantua’s designs on Ferrara or if it was in the possibility of losing a man that had advised him through most of his reign.

“Ferrara is an enemy, though, or was until we brought them to heal just as we are with their cousins here in Siena,” Sforza Maria thought allowed. “Why should we care if Mantua takes Ferrara?”

“It would mean Mantua gaining access to the Adriatic as well as expanding directly upon our southern border, and it only being a matter of time before they decide to attack the Pope in Bologna,” Giovanni explained. Sforza Maria looked at his father still not understanding, and sat looking at his father trying to discover which way the Duke would decide to turn. “Luchino, how long do you think until Siena will surrender?”

“A few days, perhaps two weeks at the most,” the young lieutenant answered. “They had no time to gather supplies before we fell upon them.”

Giovanni nodded, “After the city falls we will march south and take Naples itself. In the meantime I will write to Geronimo and Vittorio and inform them to watch Mantua carefully and send word with all due haste should they march on Ferrara.”

Luchino stood and nodded and left the pavilion, Sforza Maria stood as well still looking at his father. “Do you plan to attack Mantua then?” Sforza Maria asked.

“I haven’t decided. But I do think Monsigneur Lamberti may be a fine replacement for Vittorio should our right hand not recover.”

A week later much as Luchino had promised the lord of Siena surrendered. The Armata di Lombardia would then march on Naples. Once there they had laid out their siege Geronimo Lamberti wrote another letter to Giovanni, informing him of Vittorio’s death. Giovanni was stricken with sadness, although he didn’t show it in front of his son or his men, many times late in the evening or whenever he was alone he would feel that flood of sadness and loss. He continued on however, walking the lines of his men, ensuring their duties were being carried out, teaching Sforza Maria things to look for and how to discipline the men and also gain and keep their respect.

2013-10-21_00038_zps388f0137.jpg

The siege would last through the winter months of 1513-14 when in March of 1514, Naples would through open its gates and allow the Armata di Lombardia to occupy it while their King was away fighting the main Urbino Armies in Bari. Giovanni and Sforza Maria would spend about a month in Naples allowing their men to rest and enjoy the pleasures that fare city had to offer. The populace of course was not pleased by the Lombard army’s desires.

In April, as Luchino Testi, Sforza Maria, and Duke Giovanni II sat in the Castel Nuovo in Naples, another letter from Lamberti would reach them.

“Mantua has marched on Ferrara finally,” Giovanni said reading the letter. He had decided during the siege of Naples that should Gonzaga go to war, he would turn the Armata di Lombardia north and conquer Mantua. The Duke sipped some wine letting his words sink in a moment before ordering, “Luchino, prepare the men outside the walls. We will be marching north within a week.”

“Rescuing Ferrara?” the lieutenant asked.

“I suppose in a way,” Giovanni snapped. “More like expanding our lands, and ridding ourselves of a nuisance that should have been rid of a generation ago.”

2013-10-21_00042_zpsb71e5482.jpg

“If Vittorio were here he’d counsel you caution,” Sforza Maria said standing, “France, Austria, they’ll not look kindly upon this act of aggression.”

“Who gives a damn what our French cousins think, or the fallen Habsburgs that lost their dearly loved Imperial Crown to the Bohemian swine that have forsaken the holy mother church for heresy?”

Sforza Maria was concerned. His father was not acting as rationally as before, and he had no idea why. The fact that this one minor war, could have implications that would end all of their lives was just a catalyst for Sforza’s fears. If Austria and France held back and didn’t invade due to the Milanese invasion of Mantua, then surely the da Montefeltros of Urbino would be irate about Milan’s abandonment of the war. Losing such a stalwart ally as Urbino due to some small folly as invading a principality of such little consequence almost seemed insane in the mind of Sforza Maria.

Instead of stating his worries any further he walked out of the room, left to worry and wonder if the one thing he’d been waiting for his entire life may be stripped from him upon the whim of his father’s ill-advised plans.

I really like the pace and style of this AAR. Still very enjoyable.

Will troubled with Mantova prove the start of further unrest on the peninsula, I wonder? It's not often that trouble stays away from Italy for long...

As for graphics, I always love seeing heraldry incorporated into AARs, so that would be nice should you ever wish to experiment with making coats of arms. :)

Chapter XXXIX - Taking Mantua

@Marco Dandolo: Thank you, I've slowed the rate of updates down a bit, to give myself time to focus more on the narrative, and hope it helps in allowing people to stay up to date with it. But very glad to hear you've been enjoying it! Hope it continues to be enjoyable for you.

@DensleyBlair: Trouble is never too far away in Italy. Got to admit its been a fun place to play so far, with all the squabbling principalities and some majors that get involved. As far as making coat of arms I can give it a shot, my artistic abilities are pretty diminutive though! lol...but I may try and make one for the Sforza's that sit upon the French Throne.

*As a note, this update is a tad bit longer, the ending feels a bit rushed to me but posting it anyway as its been a while since I updated last.

~~~~~
Chapter XXXIX - Taking Mantua

Two weeks after deciding to abandon Urbino and the war with Naples, Giovanni marched north with the Armata di Lombardia leaving Marchese d’Ivrea of Pisa in charge of Milanese occupied Naples as they left. The soldiers were pleased to march North, Mantua was close to home, and they knew they’d soon be reunited with their families at the conclusion of the war. Spirits and morale were high as they marched through Latium and Pisa and Florence, on their way to Mantua. By June they reached the Gonzaga fortress at first the Duke ordered the siege be laid, when reports from scouts announced that Mantuan forces were already laying siege to Ferrara.

Duke Giovanni, seeing his chance to deliver a death blow quickly and decisively marched east to destroy Gonzaga’s men. Upon hearing the news of the Armata di Lombardia’s movements, Mantua raised their siege and marched north into the Milanese lands of Verona, with Sforza hot on their trail. Late in the afternoon on the 13 of July 1514, the Armata di Lombardia would catch the Mantuan forces unaware as they settled down to camp for the night. A slaughter soon followed utterly decimating Duke Federico II Gonzaga’s 5,000 man army, with only a mere 235 casualties suffered by Milan.

2013-10-21_00044_zps5acffad8.jpg

Giovanni, knowing he had delivered a devastating defeat and more or less ended any ambition that Duke Federico II of Mantua may have had in capturing Ferrara, marched once more upon Mantua, and began laying siege to the Gonzaga stronghold. As he sat in camp alongside his lieutenant Testi he wondered what his son Sforza Maria was doing and whether he should have listened to his son. Only time would tell, he reminded himself during the night when he was alone and brooding, unsure of which direction the wind would take, as he awaited the surrender of Duke Federico II Gonzaga.

~~~~~​
Sforza Maria Sforza arrived in Milan shortly after news of his father’s great victory over Duke Federico’s army in Verona. The people of Milan were once again in a celebratory mood, feeling that their land would one day reign supreme across the whole of Italy. The name Sforza was said with love at times as the people drank, even though on occasion it was said with vile in regards to the leniency that had been granted to Archbishop Ippolito d’Este before his exile from the city.

When he returned to the Castello he found his younger brother Matteo, of whom was 6 years old now, had taken a liking to poetry and had a tendency to follow a few of the court poets about begging for more stories. His youngest brother Galeazzo was only 4 at the time, and was always swinging sticks around pretending they were swords. He spent several days watching over his brothers wondering where fate would lead them.

Eventually towards the end of July, Sforza Maria, would meet with Geronimo Lamberti, the new statesman who had been acting as Regent before Sforza entered Milan. “Your father has a thing for wars, young lord,” Lamberti said smiling as they met in the courtyard.

“Ambition,” Sforza snorted, “blind ambition without regard to the consequences.”

Lamberti saw obvious distaste in Sforza’s retort, which built a sense of dread. A son that is carrying on a feud with his father always leads to disaster. “All men have blind ambition, lord,” Lamberti said quietly. “Take me for example, I wished to serve, and watched and waited for my turn to be elevated. I may not have made any hasty decisions like creating a war to gain favor, but my ambition to rise was always blind and consuming.”

Sforza Maria shook his head, as his gaze fell upon his little brother Galeazzo who was beating another kid with a stick.

“Lord if I may,” Lamberti said taking a slightly different tact, “what is your ambition?”

Sforza grumbled again and then sighed, “To make Milan great, to make Sforza great, to unify the principalities under one sovereign. Make it so we don’t need to cower under a French threat as we do now, to rival the power of Habsburg Austria…”

As Sforza Maria fell silent Lamberti looked at him with a slight smile, “I imagine your father’s ambition is quite similar.”

“He’s going about it wrong. All he is going to do is stir up a wrath of our French cousins and the Habsburgs.”

“Ahhh,” Lamberti sighed again, “But is it? The French have said they care little of Mantua but more for Ferrara so in a way are pleased with your father’s incursion. The Habsburgs well, they’re worried about which side Castille would side under. And therefore are quite hesitant to move forward.”

Sforza Maria remained silent as he listened to the wails of Galeazzo’s victim. Some maids tried to grab the little boy to prevent him from causing any more damage, when Galeazzo proceeded to slap both of the maids with the stick. They scurried off and a few guards soon appeared and the wild four year old took off running from the courtyard stick in hand, off on another adventure.

“He has the devil in him doesn’t he?” Lamberti said watching Sforza Maria’s gaze.

“I hear he’s much like grandfather,” Sforza answered.

“How do you envision your reign, my lord?” Lamberti asked.

“War.”

Lamberti nodded and stood up, “Well, my lord, if you’re going to make your future reign about war and conquering, you should perhaps first learn how to make peace. And that is what I am here for. I think perhaps we should start by making peace with your father and bringing you both together again. And from there maybe we can begin working together on building the foundations of our future together.”

Lamberti then bowed, and left Sforza Maria to dwell upon the proposition.

A few weeks would pass and rumors that the Swiss had crossed the Alps and had begun laying siege to Brescia soon had the populace of Milan in an uproar. People began fearing that a siege was imminent on Milan itself. Sforza Maria, and Lamberti, hoping to assuage the fears of the populace took measures to begin stockpiling supplies in the event that the Swiss marched on Milan, and recalled Captain-General Fabrizio from his outpost in Cuneo to keep the peace in the capital.

All the while, everyone awaited news of Mantua’s fall.

~~~~~
2013-10-21_00048_zpsb5123ea3.jpg

Duke Giovanni was disturbed as 1515 began with news that Brescia had been occupied by the Swiss. He was tempted to lift the siege of Mantua and march upon the Swiss soldiers. But, Testi, assured him that Duke Federico II would surrender come the spring, long before Milan would have to open its gates to the Swiss. Giovanni was in a bad predicament allow Milan to go through a siege for the first time in the reign of the Sforza’s while he finished conquering Mantua, or give up his hopes of a quick war to send the Swiss back across the Alps.

After much debate mostly just with himself, the Duke of Milan decided to wait. Just as Testi had promised Duke Federico II Gonzaga of Mantua would surrender Mantua in March. Instead of enforcing peace and the annexation of the principality into the Duchy of Milan, Giovanni would order the Armata di Lombardia to march to Milan to engage the Swiss.

2013-10-21_00050_zps2059fb21.jpg

The Battle of Milan would take place in April; Giovanni had hoped to catch the Swiss forces under the command of Charles Helberingen off guard. That hope was squandered however, as Charles was prepared for the Armata di Lombardia. The Swiss cannon were moved into position and battered the Milanese army. Eventually, however, due to sheer numbers Giovanni and the Armata di Lombardia would prove victorious, even though it was a pyrrhic victory as the Milanese army sustained more losses.

With the Swiss in retreat and Duke Federico II Gonzaga as prisoner, Giovanni would enter Milan at long last. His wars concluded. He was met by the councilors of Milan and shocked to find Fabrizio within the city once again. The people, however, were not as celebratory as they had been in the past. They were still shaking off the fear that the Swiss siege had placed upon them.

2013-10-21_00052_zps9bbd04f3.jpg

A week after lifting the siege, Duke Federico Gonzaga, would forfeit his titles and land to Giovanni, adding the principality of Mantua as yet another jewel to Milan’s growing realm.

2013-10-21_00053_zps162e24d8.jpg

~~~~~

2013-10-21_00054_zps2e15fb9b.jpg

Great update, interesting dynamic between the Duke and his son. The battle of Milan may well have long lasting repercussions if it leaves the populace less enthusiastic about further Milanese conquests. The borders to the east and west are firming up - unless an opportunity presents itself for a favourable war against Austria or France then Milan must turn south in the future.

Well, I had some downtime while away and found myself passing away some of time time to read through this! (Maybe I should have been doing that for your "other" CK2 AAR :p )

Needless to say, I find your AAR with Milan to be fascinatingly brilliant. The intertwining of narrative and historical narrative is superb!

Chapter XL - Rebellion

@ScribleScrable: It did indeed pay off, but the repercussions are yet to be felt.

@Seelmeister: Yeah figured I should start bringing Sforza Maria into the forefront a little as we are nearing a transition. And you are quite right only direction to really go is South, I have entertained the idea of mopping up Savoy so I can take over Nice and Liguria and Piedmont, but I decided that may antagonize the French a wee bit too much. Only issue with going south will be after Siena is captured I'd have to face-off against the monster of Urbino that I've helped create, and that will not be a pleasant war.

@volksmarschall: Glad you've gotten to read this one as well! And thank you very much for the praise! Definitely hope you will continue to enjoy this, I need to go get caught back up in a few of yours.

~~~~~
Chapter XL - Rebellion

“We need to end our part in Urbino’s war with Naples,” Geronimo Lamberti stated. “The Armata di Lombardia is happy to be home, the men have no desire to march south once more, and all we are doing is helping the Montefeltros grow ever more powerful.”

“Does it matter if we end the war?” Sforza Maria asked. “I mean the Neapolitan army is destroyed even if we have Marchese d’Ivrea of Pisa hand the lands we occupied back to the Neapolitan King, it would be rather simple for Urbino to fill our void.”

“The Armata will go wherever our lord Giovanni orders us to march,” Testi said, he had recently received a promotion to Captain and was sitting in on his first council session at the behest of Duke Giovanni. His presence was meant to irk that of Captain-General Fabrizio who also sat at the table sullenly staring at the man he knew would one day be his replacement.

“The French would be very happy if we end our war,” Lamberti mused.

“To hell with the French,” Giovanni bellowed. “They threaten me every chance they get, us ending our war and upsetting Urbino will only serve to further isolate us.”

“King Louis says otherwise,” Lamberti drove on. “His ambassador has sworn a possible alliance should we leave Naples and forsake our alliance with your southern brethren.”

“Pleasing the French would end the decades long storm that has been brewing, father,” Sforza Maria said. “It would give us leverage against the Habsburgs, leverage that we would need since Archbishop Ippolito’s incompetence at forming a Catholic League on your behalf.”

Lamberti looked at Sforza Maria and smiled. The young man was proving to be a valuable ally, an ally that he planned to continue to groom into a leader that could reshape Italy for good.

Giovanni groaned, “If we do this what terms should we ask of the Neapolitan King? We can’t take his lands, as they’d be too far away to govern from Milan and would only serve to upset the Montefeltros more.”

“A dear confidant of mine, a merchant, Demetrio Moscati, said we may see an influx to your treasury should we require Naples to hand over trade power, and charge them a fee for returning the lands that are now held by Marchese d’Ivrea.”

Giovanni thought for a moment and then answered, “Do it.”

“Yes, your grace,” Lamberti said and nodded.

“We should bring this Demetrio Moscati into the council as well I would think,” Sforza Maria suggested, “Seems he has some knowledge that would be useful for all to hear.”

Lamberti once again smiled at the young future Duke, he stuck to the script better than most men.

“Very well, Lamberti bring Moscati to us at his earliest convenience,” Giovanni said unknowing of the manipulation and strings that were being pulled behind his back.

The council would adjourn and the Neapolitan King would sign the peace offered by Marchese Gherardo d’Ivrea of Pisa in February of 1516, which would send the Duke of Urbino into an uproar at the fact that his relations in Milan would turn their back on him. This fit of rage would become even more pronounced as his son Francesco da Montefeltro (the heir apparent of Urbino) would be slain while trying to occupy Naples itself after the Milanese peace. Duke Francesco would become so disheartened and stressed that he would end up dying not too long after his son’s funeral, passing the Duchy of Urbino onto his youngest son Giulio da Montefeltro.

2013-10-21_00057_zpsa8d54d69.jpg

The rest of the year would pass with little to note, with the exception that Duke Giovanni’s martial policies and conquest of Mantua was causing some issues. The people were still unsure of the future having witnessed the siege of Milan by the Swiss. And in the outlying provinces such as Verona the people were beginning to whisper that the Sforza’s may indeed not be invisible. As the duchy’s policies continued to target the Protestants, the population of Verona was growing ripe for rebellion.

2013-10-21_00059_zpsb7adc101.jpg

~~~~~​
A man named Karel z Otradovic arrived in Verona in the summer of 1516, he was a humble man in a monk’s garb. Although his garments would betray him as a mere peasant, he had been a leading force in persuading the Emperor to leave the Catholic fold. In fact, he hailed from a moderately wealthy family in Prague, and had studied humanism and other such arts at the universities. It had been planned that he enter the priesthood, and could have easily become a Cardinal or more had he not fallen out with the Church. Instead he preached and derided the excesses of the clergy, with all their false idols and worship of money. He saw no point to it all.

He arrived in Verona to little fanfare, and lived with a small reformist minded family that his contacts had put him in touch with on the outskirts of Verona. He spent his days wandering the city listening to news and watching the people. He attended a few meetings of Reformers as well, listening taking stock of the overall feeling of this Milanese city that was under persecution.

As he watched and listened most people including the garrison that occasionally raided known reformer’s hovels viewed him as a simple man from a foreign land of little consequence. What no one knew is he had come at the behest of the Emperor, who wished the Sforza’s be brought low, or at least shown the error of their ways with regards to faith. It was his job, his mission, to rally the men and women of the protestant lands of Milan into an organized unit that would rattle the Sforza’s into a more tolerant tone.

He knew his mission was dangerous, that its end may land him upon a burning stake. Martyrdom worried Karel little, in a way he would welcome it so he could enter the Kingdom of God that much sooner. As the months passed by he began speaking up here and there, conversing with the locals, even talking at the secret meetings of the Reformers. He slowly gained access to local leaders as they learned who he was and what his mission was meant to accomplish.

After being in Verona for a year, Karel was without a doubt becoming one of the central figures of the reformation in Verona and throughout the Duchy of Milan. He was outspoken and growing a large following uniting different gatherings of the Reformers and uniting them under his and the Emperor’s cause. In September of 1517, he would receive a correspondence from the Emperor stating that the time for action was now, and to host a public gathering at the Duomo di Verona.

At noon the Cathedral’s bells would ring and hundreds of people began filling the streets, they came slowly trickling in in small groups. They appeared scared, worried at what this gathering would cause. Would the Armata di Lombardia descend like Satan’s own minions slaughtering them all for their treasons? Karel z Otradovic knew they would be concerned, and scared, but he also knew that they would be safe and that no such harm would come from the hands of Giovanni’s Armata on this day. Even the guard of the Podesta of Verona would not dare show up to large gathering of his mob.

The trickle of people would eventually turn into a rush as more and more people wished to gather if only to see what the loud commotion was. Which is when Karel lifted his arms and proclaimed, “People of Verona, fair citizens of the Holy Roman Empire, I bring word from the Imperial Court. Good tidings shall be heard this day.”

The people began to hush, whispers amongst the peasants began were uttered wondering what this spectacle would unveil. “There has been a new Pope in Bologna elected, a man who has burned many of us,” he continued, mentioning the election of Pope Innocent VIII which had occurred several months prior. “The Emperor, has seen that his close proximity to Verona causes much worry, and sends word that he shall protect you all if you act against the crimes his church has wrought upon the world.”

The hundreds at this point had turned into almost two thousand and the silence that emanated from the crowd sent shivers up Karel’s spine. He knew he had the people where he needed them. He had gained their respect over the past year, and they all viewed him knowledgeable, perhaps even saintly for the promises he bore.

“Our Emperor has invoked the Reichsreform, taking more privileges so that he may further the cause of our Reformation! To do this, however, he needs the populaces help. He asks that we make such a scene as to instill fear into the princes of the Empire, especially that of Sforza!”

2013-10-21_00068_zpsc806ddb7.jpg

The people’s murmur grew loud some turned away and left but overall they all stayed to finish listening. “Our gracious Imperial Majesty has sworn to help arm us if we can make Verona an example of our might. Even today as we gather there are soldiers from Bohemia gathering like-minded men in Treviso to march here to rendezvous with us so that we may force Sforza’s hand. He will have one of two options, fair people of Verona, to attack us and put us all to the stake and therefore commit an unwarranted act of aggression against the Emperor, or to cede to our demands, and quit his pogrom of murder and unjust persecution of our congregation.”

A cheer that started out nervous and grew into happiness as the people began to feel that Karel was their liberator, sent to free them from the Sforza tyranny. Down one street some guards from the Podesta of Verona could be seen turning and fleeing the scene knowing they would be targeted by the mob. As the cheering died down, Karel delivered his order, “We will march upon the Castello San Pietro wherein lies the Sforza’s Podesta. We will take his abode and thereby take control of Verona in the name of his Imperial Majesty Emperor Jiri!”

2013-10-21_00073_zpse7618c84.jpg

The cheering erupted again as the crowd parted and Karel walked through the crowd, as they showered blessings upon him. He led them through the streets, as more people filed out of their abodes no longer scared, knowing this Bohemian would see to their protection. They made their way across the Ponte Pietra which linked East and West banks of the River Adige. Once on the eastern banks, the mob marched to the Castello San Pietro’s gates and tore them down, they were met by the Podesta’s small retinue of guards of which were no match for the thousands that flooded in through the gateway. With the guards disarmed and slaughtered the mob flooded into the castle and beat the Podesta bloody taking him into custody as a prisoner.

Afterwards the mob gathered in the courtyard, at least those that could fit within its limited confines wit torches lit now that dusk had settled, Karel once again addressed his mob. “Good people,” he said, “the Emperor shall smile on this day, and the Pope shall weep. The Sforza’s shall tuck their tail and run away at this ignominious defeat. We have made a spectacle and we shall remain united to await our congregation’s union with those from Treviso of which shall be here within the fortnight! Take today’s victories home and sleep well, for tonight you will not fear those that would take you away at the Sforza’s behest!”

The crowd cheered once more, knowing victory was theirs and that Duke Giovanni would surely view this uprising as a sign that staying loyal to the Pope and the Catholic Church would rip his realm asunder. They would retire ignorant of the repercussions they had just set in motion.

2013-10-21_00071_zps9b408afb.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter XLI – Karel’s War

Chapter XLI – Karel’s War​

“What?” Duke Giovanni Sforza bellowed, after Lamberti had informed him of the dire news from Verona. “The Bohemians?”

“It would appear that way, your grace,” Lamberti said matter-of-factly. “Some man by the name of Karel z Otradovic, he served on the Emperor’s council.”

“If rumors are to be listened to, it would seem he is part of an organization called: Ordinis Reformatis illustrata religio1,” Demetrio Moscati reported.

“It has been a long time since the Emperors delved into local affairs,” Giovanni said, looking about his councilors. “This Order of Reformed Enlighted Religion, what’s its purpose?”

“To spread the Reformation, in essence,” Moscati answered. “Several of its members came from Ragusa, and spread the word amongst the Imperial Court in Prague. They were formed into an organization at the behest of Emperor Jiri, and have organized into a financial and militant wing rather quickly. The Emperor loans Bohemian soldiers out to them, in a way like our Italian Condottiere to help local rebellions to help pressure local princes into breaking with Rome.

“They also helped swell the forces of Luneburg in their war to force Brandenburg to break with Rome. It could be said, your grace, that this order has grown astronomically in power. It could very well totally undermine the power of the Pope, and sow generations of religious discontent.”

Giovanni sat there, not enjoying what he was hearing. A shadowy religious movement born out from a weak Emperor’s dream of unifying the Holy Roman Empire under one banner broken away from the Pope. Such a thing would be grave, its repercussions obvious. As he sat there thinking of what to do, the anger over the rebellion in Verona, led by some foreigner, gave way to dread. Fear that his power in Milan was on the verge of being usurped by this organization that until now had not officially seen the light of day.

“Demetrio,” Sforza Maria said interrupting his father’s silence and thoughts, “could we not deal with this situation by ending the life of Jiri? I hear his brother Premysl Otakar, isn’t exactly fervent in his support of the Reformation.”

“It is true that the Emperor’s brother isn’t a fervent supporter, in fact he is not much of a religious man at all,” Lamberti agreed.

Moscati leaned back in his seat, deep in thought. “I could, if your grace wishes,” he said slowly looking to Duke Giovanni. “Begin speaking with my connections about the possibilities of an assassination.”

Giovanni once again began to think about what was being offered to him. The only problem would be in knowing whether or not Premysl Otakar, brother of Emperor Jiri would truly be a more tolerant, and accepting ruler. It was a question that could prove import. “Before we make a move, would it not be prudent to reach out to the brother of our Emperor? Possibly take his temperature on whether or not he would be grateful for his elevation should some sad fate befall Jiri?”

“A wise decision,” Lamberti answered. “I will write to one of my contacts in Prague to seek out his feelings.”

As Giovanni nodded, Demetrio Moscati began to speak, “And I will begin laying the foundations for Jiri’s demise.”

“Will you lead the Armata di Lombardia against the rebels, father?” Sforza Maria asked. He was curious as Giovanni was getting older and frailer with the passing years. Surely his body was tiring of marches and war.

“Yes, Captain Testi and I will march to Verona within the fortnight, to quell and deliver righteous justice to this Karel z Otradovic.”

~~~~~​
Three weeks had passed since Karel had raised the populace of Verona up against their Podesta, and dissolved their allegiances to Milan. The number of militants had swelled to nearly six thousand men, all of which were armed now. Not armed well enough to make them appear a frightening force, but still armed to the point where he was confident he could hold the city. The number of armed civilians was swelled with another one thousand Bohemian men-at-arms, and two thousand knights that had freshly arrived in service to the Emperor.

Rumor, however, was striking fear in the population once again. They had heard that Duke Giovanni was on his way to end this futile rebellion before it gained any more local support in other cities. Karel’s order had informed him to give Giovanni battle, and he intended to do just that.

With news that the Armata di Lombardia was merely a few days away he mustered his militants together and marched out to the countryside, promising the people of Verona that he would not suffer them a long siege. But would instead save them by showing his force’s ferocity on the field of battle, it would prove to be a horrible mistake.

The army of Duke Giovanni nearly outnumbered them two to one, and the militant’s morale was defeated at the first thundering roar of Milanese cannon. The ranks broke almost immediately, as cannon balls rampaged through the flanks and center column. Knights were thrown from their horses as chaos engulfed. Thankfully, due to quick thinking Karel was able to order a slightly well-organized retreat forcing his militia in a march to Mantua. A city he felt that would be happy with his presence.

2013-10-21_00074_zpsf881426b.jpg

As his men regrouped outside Mantua, he would seek an audience with several influential Mantuans all of whom denied his requests. Confused as to why the newly conquered Milanese province was so fearful of betraying their new prince, Karel began to see the end of his short rebellion begin to be written. The Armata di Lombardia was not too far behind, and on November 18, 1517, the Milanese cannon would once more be unleashed upon the Protestant militia of Emperor Jiri.

His lines would splinter once again as the peasants that had been armed broke and fled. The Bohemians were sprinkled throughout the ranks and began slashing at those that retreated to try and bring fear into the militia at the fate that awaited the rest should they turn and run. Soon, the cannon would die down and the Armata would advance, as Giovanni’s cavalry maneuvered to charge Karel’s right flank.

The Protestant leader sat astride his steed, watching in horror as the citizens of Verona and Treviso were put to the sword alongside their Bohemian allies. The Armata was determined to completely and totally destroy the rebellion there on the fields of Mantua. As more and more men turned tail and ran they were caught by the Milanese garrison of Mantua, a total of some 500 men and 250 knights that swung open the gates to the blare of trumpets as they rode swiftly capturing and slaying all those that tried to flee the main rebel lines.

Within three hours the battle was over, Karel was in custody, horrified at the blood and screams of the wounded he had witnessed. He had not been prepared for this. He had felt his God was on his side, to help bring the idol worshiping Pope and the fat clergy to their knees. Instead what he learned was that God had no favorite when it came to battle.

2013-10-21_00076_zps9a991298.jpg

In chains, Karel was drug before his opponent Duke Giovanni Sforza to face his punishment. “I take it this is Karel z Otradovic, a member of the Ordinis Reformatis illustrata religio?” Giovanni asked Captain Testi looking at the beaten and bloody Karel.

“Yes, your grace,” Testi answered bowing.

“Dearest Karel, what on God’s Earth was our lord Emperor Jiri thinking by sending you here?” Giovanni asked. “I would have hated to be given your mission. A suicidal one for sure. Pouring sweet promises into those too ignorant to understand, promising victory to the masses when defeat is destined. And what you did to my Podesta in Verona that was unfortunate.”

Karel looked up, his vision blurry from a mixture of blood and sweat. He was admittedly surprised he felt little pain in that moment. His forehead was split open, his ribs cracked, not to mention several other wounds. “The Emperor will continue to send our Order to force you to break with Bolognan Pope,” Karel mustered.

“Testi, remind me what his rabble did to our Podesta,” Giovanni asked, pretending not to have even heard Karel’s promise.

“I believe Lamberti said they beat him to an inch of his life and then hung him from the Castello San Pietro’s ramparts,” Testi answered smiling at his trophy of a captive.

“Ahh,” Giovanni sighed. “I see you’ve already beaten our beloved Karel.” The Duke of Milan stepped forward and lifted Karel’s head looking at the bloody wound upon the heretic’s head. “How many of his supporters do we hold?”

“Five hundred captives, who are not wounded, four hundred are severely wounded and won’t survive, and another one thousand with mild wounds,” Testi replied.

“Hmm…” Giovanni dropped his hand from Karel’s chin and turned his back on the beaten foe. “Let us hang all of them from Mantua’s ramparts then. And while we are stringing them up we shall place Karel upon the stake facing them. After he has watched his compatriots hang, we will take his honey tongue and right hand as souvenirs for our dearest majesty Emperor Jiri, to show him the fate that will befall any other’s he sends in Karel’s footsteps.”

Karel began to struggle but it was futile indeed. He was taken away. The next day ropes were laid out for all 1,900 rebels that had been captured. Even the ones that were sure to die within a day or two or a week from their wounds were carried, and nooses placed around their necks. Karel’s tongue was then ripped out and as he flailed and screamed, it was put in a box, as the guards tied his torso and legs to the stake. They then stretched his right arm out and sliced his hand off from the forearm down.

They then tied his head to the stake so that he had to watch the horror upon the walls of Mantua take place. One by one, each of the 1,900 rebels were flung from the wall, as the ropes snapped their necks. The spectacle took nearly an hour to complete and at which point Karel was growing faint from blood loss. He barely noticed the torches that were lit and the warmth from the flames as the pitch caught fire as the flames rose up engulfing him. Fire should have caused more agony, but to Karel it brought welcome respite as his body was burned.

Duke Giovanni and Captain Testi looked on, both pleased at the result. The Duke of Milan would take one last look at the horror upon Mantua’s wall, and said as he strode away, “Your showing of the price of rebellion, Captain Testi, will surely remind our people to never rebel again in the future.”

Testi smiled, knowing he had secured yet even more favor with his lord and sovereign. He watched as Giovanni walked away his shadow being cast larger than life from the flames.

~~~~~​
1Ordinis Reformatis illustrata religio (Latin) ~ The Order of Reformed Enlightened Religion ~ Founded and supported by Emperor Jiri in Prague, Bohemia. Used as a tool to spread Protestant thoughts and doctrines throughout the Empire and at times rallying the masses in opposition to their local prince.

Not sure if that would be a proper Latin translation, if you may know of a better or more appropriate translation please by all means let me know so I may edit it!

Last edited:
As is the case with translating Latin and Ancient (Koine Greek), the individual words are not always translated singularly from left-right. Although I am by no means a Latinist akin to Fr. Reginald Foster, as a lay Latinist for Seminary purposes, I would have translated the Latin into "Reformed Order of Enlightenment Religion" rather than the other way around. (nothing like trying to read the great classics like the Aeneid or Roman historians like Livy or Polybius in Latin :ninja: ... I'll preferably keep to my English translations)

On that note, a nice update again. Of course, looks like Karel came out on the wrong end - but one cannot escape the sixteenth and first half of the seventeenth century not expecting religious wars.

Fantastic yet again tnick! :)