• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pompan

Colonel
53 Badges
Dec 9, 2010
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
As far as I have noticed, migration speed affects how fast the population of a territory moves away from that territory. Does it also affect how fast populations from other territories migrate into that territory?

Is a territory's migration speed listed somewhere?

Migration speed is shown in the population tab in the territory view (view pop info).

Migration speed is different from migration attraction. POPs decide where to go using migration attraction not migration speed.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thanks, didn't come to think of hovering "outgoing migration".
Read the wiki before posting. I take it as how fast a pop moves between two territories is only detemined by the migration speed of the territory they're leaving.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is one thing that is wrong in the wiki, slaves will migrate albeit a very slow speed. This will stall your migration in that territory because it takes a lot of time for one slave to finish migrating:

1645881113591.png

At 0.30%/month in this case it will take 333 months for this slave to migrate, almost 28 years.

1645881266452.png

In this other case, the slave will take 0.06%/month = 138.9 years to migrate.

Last edited:
Something else that I have no answer and has been puzzling me forever is what triggers a POP to start migrating. I have done many experiments to try to establish when a POP decides to migrate.

For example, I have starved a territory to make its migration attraction very negative but POPs will not start migrating. So you can have a territory with very low or negative migration attraction but no outgoing migration for many years.

I have asked around and no one seems to know when and why a POP decides to start migrating.

Reactions:
I also had this problem that only one POP migrated and then a break was taken.

When a territory is overpopulated, the POPs travel relatively quickly away from that territory potentially to the next most attractive port city, capital, or just the nearest territory

But then every time a POP migrated it stopped and the remaining POPs in the territory then died either from lack of food or from occupation...

Reactions:
The wiki says:

‘Free pops will migrate of their own volition to nearby territories in pursuit of economic opportunities, or to escape deteriorating circumstances in their current home.’

This should make POPs start migrating right away when a territory has lower migration attraction than neighbouring territories. However, this is not the case. It could be that they restricted the number of checks for migration of POPs to increase game performance.

I would like to have many more mechanics linked to migration. I have made many suggestions about this:
  • Migrating POPs away when there is an occupation will favour the concentration of POPs in the occupied nation
  • Slaves should migrate with increased speed to not stall migration. They do it already.
  • Migration attraction should work between nations and Ports should attract POPs from all nations that share the same sea (as it was in previous versions)
All of these could decrease performance of the game and make for a strange situation with nations with low migration attraction (economic opportunities). To avoid that we could decrease migration speed across the board but not nerf it as it is now.

Reactions:
How about instead of increasing migration speed of slaves, adding another, separate que for slaves that's really slow?

I really like the idea of migration between nations. Nations that are badly loosing a war could've a nationwide decrease of migration attraction and increased migration speed.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I really like the idea of migration between nations. Nations that are badly loosing a war could've a nationwide decrease of migration attraction and increased migration speed.
That is already the case. A siege gives -30 migration attraction and occupied -10.

On migration speed there is a whoping +10 if the territory is starving and +10% in a defensive war. I would increase the speed when the territory is occupied.

The problem is that they do not trigger migration of POPs and you can have a territory occupied with no outgoing migration.

Last edited:
Reactions:
A POP handed over treaty in a peace treaty would have been cool too

So even as a small nation you would have chances to upgrade your economy (even if only slightly due to different cultures, religions, etc. pp.) in order to later become a challenge for the larger nations

• 3Like
Reactions:
Seems to me each level of pop, noble, citizen, freeman, tribal and slave, should have their own migration stream since each is attracted to different conditions in the places they're going to. And in bad situations where just moving to get away, each has its own level of resources to make that move.

• 2Like
Reactions: