• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KanaX

ಠ_ರೃ
4 Badges
Jul 15, 2006
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • 500k Club
This is my first AAR. I didn't think I would write an AAR of my current game with Finland, hence the lack of screenies until 1939, but let's see what I can make of this.

Chapters:

1.The Expansion(no link, since it's in this post.)
2.Succes & Defeat
3.The Push
4.Perikato
5.Power Projection
6.Invasion Ireland
7.Stretching too thin
8.Suddenly, the world catches fire
9.The threat from the East
10.Stabilizing the front
11.All quiet on the Far-East front
12.New rule
13.When you go to war, you better be ready to lose as well
14.Great victories are often followed by great defeats
15.More lands, more worries
16.Retaking the seas
17.New power
18.Daring moves are rarely victorious ones
19.Retribution
20.Plans for the future
21.Vision of Invasion
22.The Day of Days
23.V-E Day
24.Oceanus Indicus
25.Comeback in the Pacific
26.Pushing through the Philippines
27.Nearing Downfall
28.The Heart of the Empire
29.At the Far Side of the World
30.Death Struggle
31.End of an Empire
32.The New World
33.Midnight Sun

The settings:
Doomsday 1.3 with Kaiserreich mod
SKIF Icons pack.
Added cores for Finland in various locations.
Jusas' Sprites

1. The expansion

In 1936 His Royal Highness King Friedrich Karl I of Finland had ruled Finland for 18 years, and saw fit that it was time for a change.(some people know him by the name Väinö I, but this was just a humorous presumption for the name of the king by Väinö Nuorteva, a much read political satirist. )

Friedrich Karl I (Fredrik Kaarle in Finnish), King of Finland and Karelia, duke of Åland, grand duke of Lapland and the lord of Kaleva and Pohjola.

Finland was a highly authoritarian state and as such, the King held a lot of power. With the help of German investors and engineers, he started the fast industrialisation of Finland, followed by a naval program, to ensure the crediblity of his small country in the north. This progress was not taken well in the neighbouring countries and the relations between Finland and her neighbours declined steadily.
Sweden was, perhaps a little surpirisingly, the foremost critic of the new Finnish expansion policy. The question of Åland was still a bitter feud between the two countries. The criticism turned to violence in the 9th of February, when a Finnish coast guard boat was sunk by the Swedish Royal Navy. The explanation from the Swedish government was that the boat had trespassed the national waters of Sweden and was moving threateningly towards a Swedish passenger ship. The relations between Finland and Sweden plummeted and the non-agression pact between the two nations was dissolved.

In the 20th of February the king adressed the nation.

"Finland shall not remain as a second-rate world power. The ever unstable conditions of Russia, the terrorism of Sweden and the discontent of rest of the world, leave us little choice but to expand for the sake of others. The survival of the Finnish Nation is my ultimate goal as your King and I shall fight for that cause 'til death takes me. The history of Finland is a history of wars and it that history has taught you and me to fight for what we believe in. Our neighbours have opressed us for hundreds of years, but no more! This land has been my homeland for 18 years and it shall remain so for 18 years more!
FINLAND PREVAILS!"

Six days later, the Parliament and the King announced that a state of war existed between the Kingdoms of Finland and Sweden.

Last edited:
Hyvältä näyttää... :)

I'll be watching.

Good luck, and be sure to give those swedes a good trashing! :p

The war against Sweden begun with the massive gathering of troops in the Åland island. About 170 000 troops were getting ready for the invasion of Stockholm. In Lapland, 30 000 Finnish troops assaulted Luleå for two days. The city fell and the following counter-attack was repulsed.
The Royal Finnish Navy was a key factor in this war, since the invasion of Sweden would have to happen from Åland. The attempts to claim the mastery of the sea resulted to the Battle of Åland.

In the end, the result was a decisive victory for the RFN, since they lost only two destroyers and destroyed the light cruiser HMS Clas Fleming and the battlecruiser HMS Drottning Victoria. But the Royal Swedish Navy wasn't finished yet.

Good luck with that! Rule the Baltic, march on St-Petersburg... hum. Be opportunist for that: Russia will probably show sign of weakness and then the Finns wil get what is reighfully their.

P.S. Cool naval battle map!

This looks nice.

Just be careful about recieving exp. forces if you join the German alliance. It really spoiled my game to get 20-30 divisions that I can't send back (a bug makes them my divisions, not exp. anymore), and 20-30 more that they just keep sending all the time. Even Germany kept sending while the French were 150km from Berlin.

Thank you all for your comments, now lets get the update going.

2. Succes & defeat

The invasion of Stockholm begun on the 29th of May, with the Finnish fleet bombarding the Swedish capital with their long-range guns. The commander of the invasion was Field Marshal C.G.E. von Mannerheim. The invasion was a risky move, since the Royal Swedish Navy wasn't completely defeated. After the Battle of Åland, the RSN retreated to Malmö, since they would be sitting ducks in Stockholm.
The invasion begun with the initial landing near Norrtälje. There the army was divided into two invasion forces, whose prime goals would be Malmö and Falun. Stockholm was taken on the 11th of April, after 3 days of heavy fighting. The Stockholm Invasion Force moved southward towards Västeräs and Göteborg and the Uppsala invasion force, having completed the invasion of Uppsala two days earlier, begun to move towards Västeräs.

The Swedish Royal Family had fled to Malmö after the news of the landing, and the de facto capital of Sweden was currently Malmö. Meanwhile, the Swedish Royal Navy had repaired the damage it had sustained in the battle of Åland and it was ready to sail at the open sea. Even with the losses it had sustained, it was still bigger than the Royal Finnish Navy. The RSN steamed out of Malmö and targeted the Finnish supply convoys. The RFN was patrolling near Åland, when they were ordered to move south to intercept the RSN and protect the supply convoys to the southern front.

The two navies clashed near Gotland.

The battle ended in a defeat for the RFN, with the loss of light cruiser Aino and the heavy cruiser 'Väinämöinen'. The RSN lost only the heavy cruiser HMS Oscar II. King Friedrich Karl was furious after the defeat, but the victories on land soothed his mind. Still, that loss was not one to be easily forgotten.

Last edited:
It´s a sad fact that the Åland ownership dispute and the question of the position of the Swedish language in Finland pretty much ruined the relations between Finland and Sweden. Narrow-minded nationalism prevented the two sides from reaching a reasonable deal that would have been mutually beneficial for the overall security situation in the Baltic Sea.

In a reasonable solution Finland would have ceded the archipelago to Sweden, and Sweden would haven given the Finnish-inhabitated areas of Haparanda, Övertorneå and Pajala as a compensation, thus ending the border disputes between the two countries.

And as for this AAR: Kauan eläköön kuningas!

I want more naval action, personally. But then again, you can conquer them and pick on somebody else later.

RGB said:
I want more naval action, personally. But then again, you can conquer them and pick on somebody else later.
And that you shall have. In not-so-far future.

3. The Push

Even though the navy had lost a significant battle, the army was performing better. Most of the industrialized east coast was in Finnish hands, but the south was still to be subdued. The new strategy was to cut Sweden effectively in half. This meant a major offensive on the central front. The primary target was the city of Karlstad, through which the supplies flowed to the northern front.
The offensive started in the 5th of May, led by Gen.Talvela. The assault was initially succesful, but the main target wasn't reached and the Swedish Army deflected all attempts to claim the city. The Swedes lost large amount of men in the defense and finally, only about 12 000 of the initial 36 000 remained. Even though the Finns held a numerical superiority, the Swedes were dug in so well that the siege of Karlstad was lifted and the pressure was placed on the souther front.
There the 2. Army led by Field Marshal von Mannerheim reached the shores of the Lake Vättern and the front line was drawn from the southern tip of the lake to the city of Kalmar in the coast.
2w2r1uh.jpg

The front in the 14th of May. Red areas are occupied by Finland.

Last edited:
Wake up Denmark, now is the time to join in and reclaim Skåne Halland and Blekinge!!! - oh and dont forget Gotland :D

like your maps - nice

onwards Finland!

oh - and how about estonia - the language is quite like finnish right?

Good evening Admiral. Nice work so far. Glad to see you doing your own AAR. Like the maps and descriptions of the naval battles.

Thank you and welcome, new readers. Time for another update.

4. Perikato

The summer started with the complete elimination of I. Fördelingen by 1st Army. The new strategy for the assault on Karlstad was agreed upon on the 19th of May. The new plan consisted of heavy artillery shelling of the western part of the city, a feint attack by the 1st Royal Guards and the flanking manouvre of the 9th and 6th Infantry Divisions. The Swedish defenders were caught on a crossfire and the division surrendered after 5 hours of heavy fighting. The losses in the Finnish side were 3000 dead or wounded and 500 missing. The Swedes lost about 5000 men dead or wounded.
After the battle, the 1st Army was divided in to two groups. The other consisted of four divisions and it's objective was to move south between the lakes Vänern and Vättern and take the town of Göteborg. The other one, consisting two divisions, was tasked to advance towards Charlottenberg, thus effectively cutting Sweden in to two.

The defeat of the I. Fördelingen forced the Södra Armén to divide it's forces, or else Göteborg would fall without any resistance. This eventually led to the battle of the Great Lakes.
3178rhh.jpg

The force distribution in the Battle of the Great Lakes

The battle was a major defeat for Sweden, since the Södra Armén was fighting on two fronts and it was low on supply. The Finnish 2. Army lost a lot of men because of the failed attempts of a breakthrough near Jönnköping. The Göteborg Taskforce on the other hand, achieved a breakthrough near Lidköping and advanced swiftly towards Göteborg.
After the battle, the Swedish government realized that the war is lost. They started negotiating for peace, but there was little to negotiate. King Friedrich Karl demanded an unconditional surrender. Sweden had no choice but to accept. On the 7th of June, Finnish flags were hoisted all around Sweden. Sweden was now completely and fully a part of Finland.
330z683.png

Finland after the war

Last edited:
you said it brother - unite the north under your banner - and then the baltic if germany doesnt mind :D