• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(20873)

Official EBU Representative
Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
We should do a Lord of the Rings mod :)

Would be fun, but hard to do. We would have to come up with a whole lot of stuff.

It's been discussed before... and I think in the end the conclusion was that someone (presumably holding some copyright over the whole Middle Earth business) was being a general pain in the *** for mods based on Middle Earth...

Nevertheless, I still like the idea.

The question is, ofcourse, what part(s)/time(s) of Middle Earth one would want to portray.... since they're majorly different.

ForzaA said:
It's been discussed before... and I think in the end the conclusion was that someone (presumably holding some copyright over the whole Middle Earth business) was being a general pain in the *** for mods based on Middle Earth...

Nevertheless, I still like the idea.

The question is, ofcourse, what part(s)/time(s) of Middle Earth one would want to portray.... since they're majorly different.

I've always wondered this; why should they bother about a non-profit fan mod?

I personally feel they won't. I remember seeing several Middle-Earth maps for Warlords 2 Deluxe waaaaaay back and I'm quite sure there are a plenty of other Middle Earth mods for other games.

EDIT: Swift googling shows mods for Diablo 2 and Medieval Total War on first page. It also showed a Morrowind mod that actually got closed by legal action. Dunno.

Byakhiam said:
I personally feel they won't. I remember seeing several Middle-Earth maps for Warlords 2 Deluxe waaaaaay back and I'm quite sure there are a plenty of other Middle Earth mods for other games.

EDIT: Swift googling shows mods for Diablo 2 and Medieval Total War on first page. It also showed a Morrowind mod that actually got closed by legal action. Dunno.

Well, there must have been some reason why that MW mod was closed (I actually play Morrowind, so I've heard about it.) Maybe they did something wrong (like profetering), or maybe it was too close to what the movies/books looks like? If you look at the Civ3/Medieval/Diablo LotR mod, people 'protecting' the copyright maybe thought that they differed enough from the movies/books? I mean, who is going to care about a game where all action takes place on a map (because outsiders fal to see the joy of playing Paradox games:))? I also think that if we for example would have a website, filling it up with copyrighted images and such isn't a good idea.

The only time i recall this kind of problem was with a Morrowind mod, but i beleave it was because everything was going to look like the movies, if you guys are willing to make the mod based in the book you will probably don't have problem, there are a lot of projects for RTW and there's even a freeware game created by Wildfire Games (It's a group, they make games but don't get any money with that).

If you guys need any help with lore i can help.
It's even possible to make scenarios from different timelines as soon as soon as you stick to one of these

- From the arive of the Noldor to the sunking of Beleriand
- From the sunking of beleriand to the Fall of Numenor
- From the fall of Numenor to a hipotetical fourth age (the it would be fiction)

I say who cares what LOTR copywright holders say do one anyway its not like they are going to kill you or something i personally would like to see one but I cant commit to it since im already team leader of the Victoria MDS and am doing Terra Universalis and Age of Islam on the side

Tabris.BR said:
- From the arive of the Noldor to the sunking of Beleriand
- From the sunking of beleriand to the Fall of Numenor
- From the fall of Numenor to a hipotetical fourth age (the it would be fiction)

From the fall of Numenor to the end of the War of the Ring would be sufficent. It is about 3000 years or so. ;)

BasileiosII said:
From the fall of Numenor to the end of the War of the Ring would be sufficent. It is about 3000 years or so. ;)

It would rock. And so would a Beleriand scenario do.

The first task is defining the provinces for a new map, bearing in mind which nations will be created

Well, since 3,000 years in EUII is a long time a few suggestions are:

1) The GRAND campaign: from year 1 T.A. to either 3021 T.A. (that would be the easiest one, end of Sauron and so on) or a bit into the fourth age (wich would be hard, since the game clock won't tick over to 1 again).

2) War of the Last Alliance 3320 S.A - 2 T.A (123 years): From the founding of Gondor and Arnor to the death of Isildur on the Gladden Fields.

3) Three Kingdoms 861-1349: Mainly about the time when Arnor was split up in three different kingdoms that fought eachother.

4) The Kinstrife 1409-1636: A Gondorian civil war. Could be interesting.

5) Realm of the Wich-King 1856-1975: A short scenario where the wich-king Angmar is fought by Gondor.

6) Late Scenario 2741-3021: Begins when Helm Hammerhand is crowned King of Rohan and ends with the passing of Frodo to Valinor.

7) War of the Ring 3001-3021 (possibly longer): Short scenario, really. Just the war of the ring that we know from the movies.

8) Fourth Age Scenario 1-185: Starts when Frodo, Bilbo and Gandalf leave the Gray Havens and ends with the death of Harding of the Hill, Sam Gamgee's heir.

I've also drawn up some provinces on the Middle-Earth map.

http://img461.imageshack.us/my.php?image=centersmall9im.jpg
http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload7/south.JPG

Last edited:
klas_knas said:
Well, since 3,000 years in EUII is a long time a few suggestions are:

1) The GRAND campaign: from year 1 T.A. to either 3021 T.A. (that would be the easiest one, end of Sauron and so on) or a bit into the fourth age (wich would be hard, since the game clock won't tick over to 1 again).

2) War of the Last Alliance 3320 S.A - 2 T.A (123 years): From the founding of Gondor and Arnor to the death of Isildur on the Gladden Fields.

3) Three Kingdoms 861-1349: Mainly about the time when Arnor was split up in three different kingdoms that fought eachother.

4) The Kinstrife 1409-1636: A Gondorian civil war. Could be interesting.

5) Realm of the Wich-King 1856-1975: A short scenario where the wich-king Angmar is fought by Gondor.

6) Late Scenario 2741-3021: Begins when Helm Hammerhand is crowned King of Rohan and ends with the passing of Frodo to Valinor.

7) War of the Ring 3001-3021 (possibly longer): Short scenario, really. Just the war of the ring that we know from the movies.

8) Fourth Age Scenario 1-185: Starts when Frodo, Bilbo and Gandalf leave the Gray Havens and ends with the death of Harding of the Hill, Sam Gamgee's heir.

I've also drawn up some provinces on the Middle-Earth map.

http://img461.imageshack.us/my.php?image=centersmall9im.jpg
http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload7/south.JPG

The divisions could be much smaller. A 30 province Gondor would add some spice to the game. ;)

And 3000 years is way too long. Limit it to 400 or 500.

And one could utilise the whole Middle Earth map (not only the northwest). You could add states in the east then, maybe fictional states in Rhûn or Khand. And another dwarf city in the Orocarni (mountains of the east, only on the big world map) since there were 7 fathers of the dwars AFAIK, so there were some more in the east.

I have the full world map here at home in a book called "Historical Atlas of Middle-Earth" but I didn't find it on the internet.

scan it into the computer unless of course you lack a scanner

BasileiosII said:
The divisions could be much smaller. A 30 province Gondor would add some spice to the game. ;)

These provinces could be devided into more provinces at some places, yes. Take Hobbiton for example and devide it into four parts.

BasileiosII said:
And one could utilise the whole Middle Earth map (not only the northwest). You could add states in the east then, maybe fictional states in Rhûn or Khand. And another dwarf city in the Orocarni (mountains of the east, only on the big world map) since there were 7 fathers of the dwars AFAIK, so there were some more in the east.

I have the full world map here at home in a book called "Historical Atlas of Middle-Earth" but I didn't find it on the internet.

Nah, at least not fictional. Khand is a real Middle-Earth nation and is thus in. If they're in the official version they sould be in; if they've been inveted by fans or by us they should be out.

Yes, but that's only a map (wich is dead as a fish, since it was created almost a year ago and so far nothing). This is a mod, mind you.

I've also thought up a new use of the religions. We don't hear a lot about religion in LotR. But we could translate the religion names to others; make
Orthodox - Men
Catholic - Elves
Protestant - Dwarves
Shia Muslim - Orchs
Sunni Muslim - Southerlings
Pagans - Depopulated
Or something like that. Now we would have a nice demographic mode!

klas_knas said:
Yes, but that's only a map (wich is dead as a fish, since it was created almost a year ago and so far nothing). This is a mod, mind you.

I've also thought up a new use of the religions. We don't hear a lot about religion in LotR. But we could translate the religion names to others; make
Orthodox - Men
Catholic - Elves
Protestant - Dwarves
Shia Muslim - Orchs
Sunni Muslim - Southerlings
Pagans - Depopulated
Or something like that. Now we would have a nice demographic mode!

How about make two religions only. Catholic --> Light, Orthodox --> Dark

Making religions demografics is a bit far fetched IMO. ;)

BasileiosII said:
How about make two religions only. Catholic --> Light, Orthodox --> Dark

Making religions demografics is a bit far fetched IMO. ;)

I'd go for Sunni and Shia as light and dark, given the free CB you get.