• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sesqui

Captain
25 Badges
Feb 13, 2005
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Metternich's Faint Shadow: An Austrian AAR by a mediochre player

Before I begin...I'm not one of those expert players that set their game to very hard/ furious and conquer the world starting with Anhalt or Krakow. But that should add interest, right...neither you nor I know whether Austria will come out on top in 1920, or end up smaller than it is on today's map.

I have the game set to Normal/Normal and the version is 1.03. I promise not to use the cheat screen but I should tell you I have made some modifications just because I like modding the game as much as playing it. The important modifications are:
(1) all factory outputs are increased by 50%. I started with 1.00 and when I patched the game to 1.03 I got tired of waiting for enough money to do anything.
(2) I changed the double monarchy event to allow for a triple monarchy (German/Hungarian/Austroslav). The ai_chance is only 1% but *_I_ plan to use it in this game.

EDIT: I forgot to say that Czech and Slovene are not accepted cultures unless and until the Triple Monarchy is chosen. This seemed a good compromise between Vanilla and VIP Vicky.

Well, here goes...

Last edited:
Metternich’s Faint Shadow:

January 1, 1836. After a bizarre series of accidents and fatal illnesses, I, Sesqui, have become chief advisor to the Hapsburg throne. I come to this job with much trepidation. I’ve had little training and most of those I looked to for advice are no longer in this world. How can I fill the shoes of the great Metternich? I fear that I am but Herr Metternich’s faint shadow.

I shall start with a hard look at Austria’s current situation. Our nation borders three other Great Powers, and one thing I *have* learned about diplomacy is you can’t please everyone. We have good relations with Prussia, but there has been friction with our other two Great Power neighbors, Russia and Turkey. Conventional wisdom has it that Turkey is on the decline: they’ve already lost hold of Egypt and much of the Eastern Mediterranean, and it is well known that Russia wants control of the Straits. Perhaps we should improve relations with Russia, and when the time comes partition Turkey as we did Poland in the last century.

One thing is definite: Austria needs a larger army. We are not an aggressive nation but our two “rhyming” neighbors are known as builders of armies and we must do what we can to keep up, good relations or (especially!) no.

January 11, 1837. My first year as chief advisor has gone better than I’d feared. We have largely solved the “manpower” problem by scouring the countryside, identifying the least productive farming villages, and encouraging the inhabitants to consider a career in the military. Now we just have to find money to pay their salaries! Balancing the nation’s budget is more difficult than I’d realized. We have avoided going into debt so far, but just barely.

We have just opened a luxury clothes factory in Lombardia, although some have questioned my using all our machine parts on a single factory. That at least should generate some revenue. We even seem to have improved our relations with Russia slightly. We’ll see what this new year brings.

November 13, 1838. We’ve had several revolts in the past months. Strangely enough it’s not the liberals which are behind this, but some reactionaries that detest the idea of progress. They want to return things to the 18th century, before factories and railroads came to our realm. I’m proud to say that we have dealt with these rebels in exactly the same way we would have 100 years ago.

November 3, 1840. As if we didn’t have enough things to spend our treasury on! A faction in my department is now asking that we build colonies! It seems the other European powers are building outposts all along the African coast. If we don’t get into this game now, we may be shut out entirely. I’m not convinced that we need to be in this game, but I have authorized them to construct a few missions in Kamerun. That ought to keep them occupied and out of my hair anyway.

June 15, 1843. I haven’t been able to write in my diary for awhile, so much has happened. Our esteemed Kaiser Franz has passed on, and let’s just say our new Kaiser Ferdinand could use good advisors even more than the last. I recently read the recent “Ranking of the Great Powers” done by some British professor, those English names are always so difficult to remember! It appears Austria is not even considered to be a Great Power anymore. The professor ranked us 13th, after Sweden and Belgium. Belgium!

June 1, 1845. I hope I’m not jinxing things by saying that 1845 has gone well so far. Our rail network is expanding rapidly, and our colonial bureau recently celebrated the construction of their first colonial mission.

(Long break in story where just about all I do is fight rebels).

December 13, 1851. It seems that the craziness which has characterized the past several years is finally subsiding. Our armies have suffered heavy casualties, and we haven’t even had a proper war, just rebellion after rebellion. Occasionally the rebels were strong enough to temporarily take over a province, but we’ve managed to come out intact. Hopefully everyone with an -ISM has finally been shot. One change we have made is to remove the requirement of landownership for voting. This has been tried in other nations and it really does seem to prevent the lower classes from revolting. Although it may take some time for the upper classes to get used to peasants voting.

Despite the rebellions, we have made considerable progress in building our railroads and expanding our Kamerun colony. The coastal part of Kamerun is now officially Austrian territory, and progress has been made in colonizing the interior. I had been skeptical of the colonialism earlier, but Kamerun has some interesting resources we’d have to import otherwise. Vienna coffeehouses are now selling Kamerun grown coffee, and there’s this remarkable substance called rubber. Not exactly sure what its use is, other than removing pencil marks. But some say its unique properties make it a potential major commodity, like steel or cement.

Our industrial growth has been hampered by the difficulty of obtaining machine parts from the world market. Our science director has started a project to research Precision Work and Interchangeable Parts, which are key technologies needed for building our own machine parts factory. Unfortunately many of our skilled laborers have already left our realm in search of employment. If only we could lure them back somehow…

May 29, 1853. Well, we’ve done it. Austria has declared war on Oman. Our colonization efforts in Kamerun are proceeding according to schedule, but further expansion into the center of Africa is blocked by France. We have sent two divisions to capture Oman’s territory on the east coast of Africa, and two more are preparing to attack Oman itself.

October 15, 1853. I can’t believe it. Oman has actually dared to land an army onto Austrian soil. Nothing we can’t handle, but they’re in a remote part of Dalmatia and it may take awhile to get troops there. The rest of Europe is embroiled in an unrelated war. Russia finally declared war on Turkey, and the rest of Europe has rallied to one side or the other. Austria has managed to stay neutral so far, despite diplomatic offers from both sides, but we do have an alliance with Greece and they may drag us into the war.

November 17, 1854. The war with Oman has come to a stalemate. Their landing force in Dalmatia was soundly defeated, but the small fleet that brought them there managed to keep our transports bottled up in the Adriatic. They couldn’t sink our ships, but we couldn’t sink any of theirs either. Our two divisions in East Africa took possession of Oman’s territories and claims there (except Zanzibar) but there was nothing else they could take without the transports. Our prestige took a significant net loss from this war, as it is being said that we were bested by an uncivilized nation. It’s not a fair statement as we gained 4 provinces and lost none, but people are saying it anyway. But we have what we wanted: territory on the east coast of Africa where there is little competition from the other European powers.

November 18, 1854. The peace treaty with Oman was officially signed today. For some reason they insisted on keeping the province of Lindi, giving us Zanzibar and Sokotra instead.

February 2, 1855. Yesterday our great nation declared war on Walachia. With the Turks distracted in the Great War with Russia, it seems like a good time to attack.

ausgc0218558gj.jpg

February 13, 1855. The Ottomans did declare war, as we thought they might. What surprised us was that Spain declared war on us also. This could be bad. Apparently they had given Walachia a guarantee of independence which we had forgotten about. Oooooooops. Strangely enough, the United States declared war on Mexico on the same day as our declaration of war. This war has embroiled several of the American nations. Hardly any nation in the civilized world remains at peace.

April 19, 1856. Walachia is now an Austrian dominion, but we had to give up some territory to keep the Turks, having accepted last month a white peace with Russia, from invading. The Ottomans were willing to accept peace in exchange for Kotor in Dalmatia, plus Zanzibar and Sokotra in the Indian Ocean. Strangely enough, we seem to have the respect of Europe again. We still have to pacify Spain, however.

June 13, 1856. We had to give up more of the Dalmatian coast, but we now have a peace treaty with Spain. Also, we finally have a machine parts factory!

December 13, 1856. Apparently we did better in the war with Turkey than we realized. Our two divisions were still in Dar es Salaam when they found out about the war and took the initiative to capture the Ottoman claims in Somalia. Adding these to our own claims, we announced to the world that Somalia is an Austrian territory.

December 31, 1863. It’s happened to us again. We became embroiled in the Schleswig question against Denmark and with Prussia. Prussia cuts a deal with Denmark (taking Schleswig for themselves) leaving Austria to face Denmark’s wrath. That’s right, our nation has sunk so low that we have to fear Denmark. There’s no way we can face their navy: our only hope is to send troops through the German states to Holstein, try to capture it, and then if possible invade Jutland by land. There’s no way we can reach Copenhagen. Meanwhile, Sardinia-Piedmont is attempting to unite Italy. So far they have only attacked minor states like Tuscany, but I’m sure they intend to take over Lombadia and Venetia as well and there’s little we can do to stop them.

ausgc021864italy9tp.jpg

February 1, 1864. Apparently Denmark found out about our plan and have instructed their satellite Holstein to make a separate peace. Of course this conveniently blocks any invasion of Jutland by land. I’m not falling for it.

April 5, 1864. Now that Austrian troops have actually arrived in Holstein, Denmark is much less eager to continue this war. We have agreed to return to the status quo ante.

I’ve been thinking a lot about our navy. Currently it consists of three transport vessels—we don’t have any true warships. Our experience in the Oman and Denmark wars suggests that we could use a warship or two to accompany the transports. Apparently we can’t just build a steam-powered warship though, even if we bought the ship itself from the international market…I suppose we need certain technologies for that. We could buy a sail ship and build an old-fashioned warship of the frigate or manowar type but these are rapidly becoming obsolete. I’ve asked Britain for a technology trade, but it seems we only have one technology to offer that they don’t already have, and they’re not interested in trading that for any of the naval technologies. I suppose we’ll have to research these technologies ourselves.

January 13, 1866. Prussia has claimed “leadership” in Germany, and I’m afraid we’re in no position to contest them, even though it will make Austria the laughingstock of Europe.

November 16, 1866. Tomorrow we declare war on Nejd. With any luck we can build back some prestige. We already sent our transport fleet towards the Arabian peninsula.

February 1, 1867. We may have found a way to satisfy at least some of our nationalists. Today Austrian Empire becomes the Triple Monarchy of Austria, Hungary, and Slavland (AHS), with seven official languages. I’m afraid Italian nationalism cannot be solved in this manner though. No matter what we offer, they still look to Sardinia-Piedmont, which has by now taken over about 2/3 of the peninsula.

October 12, 1867. Nejd has accepted our peace terms. We will take over Faris and Al Qatif, and the remainder of Nejd will be our satellite. Next victim: Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately Portugal has already taken over Oman; Aden and Hedjaz have fallen to the Ottomans.

March 30, 1868. The Austro-Arabian war is over, and Abu Dhabi has been annexed. The Arabian peninsula is now divided between Portugal, the Ottomans, and the Triple Monarchy. Our nation now has a railroad in every European province, and literacy has reached 45%--nothing to brag about in comparison with the other civilized countries, but it’s a vast improvement from 25% literacy 30 years ago. 11% of our population now works in a factory, as a clerk or craftsman. But we are dead last in prestige (except for a dozen or so uncivilized nations). AHS is ranked 9th in industrial power, and tied with Sardinia-Piedmont for 14th place in military strength.

ausgc0218684tm.jpg

This seems like a good place to stop and consider my options. Game playing advice from the Anhaltian and Krakovian World Emperors is of course welcome. :)

As of 1868 the Great Powers are (in order) UK, Russia, USA, France, Prussia, Spain, Bavaria, and the Ottoman Empire. (Incidentally, the green area in the Upper Congo and Uganda is not Portugal, but Russia!) My prestige score is -127 so now I can't make technological trades even if I had anything the other nation wanted. It's only a matter of time before I can claim Kenya and Tanzania, which will improve my prestige but probably not enough to bring it above zero.

I would very much like to keep north Italy. There has already been one event-sparked Italian unification war, but is another one coming? As I mentioned AHS is tied militarily with SP.

I've thought about taking Sicily, but the current owners keep renewing their alliance with Spain. Taking Serbia or Bosnia is of course out of the question, and even Krakow is allied with a great power every time I look. I suppose I should continue to play a conservative game in Europe?

Last edited:
Sesqui said:
Their landing force in Dalmatia was soundly defeated, but the small fleet that brought them there managed to keep our transports bottled up in the Adriatic. They couldn’t sink our ships, but we couldn’t sink any of theirs either.
I just had this bizarre mental image of two ship crews splashing water on each other with oars in an attempt to capsize the other... Something entirely too "reality-TV-ish" to be real. Sorry! :rofl:

I'm noticing that Egypt seems to have interposed itself between you and your imperial possessions. Do you have the cavalry to take them? Maybe if you could take Cyprus and Crete, plus the Sinai, you could settle for just the Sinai.

Ultimately, I think you must come to blows with the Ottomans, since they're also in the way.

Just some musings... You need to beef up your army, I think. And navy, if you can get the tech.

Keep it up!

Rensslaer

May 11, 1870. I had a bizarre dream last night. In it I was shown various Austrian Empires that might have been…some were wildly successful, others completely disappeared from the map.

First I saw an Austria that had in 1836 discovered some mysterious technology, called phylettiding or something like that, giving them almost unlimited cash. Their choice to use this technology was highly controversial, but it definitely got results! They had money to educate their citizens, fund technological research, build dozens of factories, and amass the world’s largest army and second largest navy, which they used to take colonies from Oman, France, and Denmark. By the end of the 1870s Austria was the undisputed master of all of Germany and almost all of Africa.

Next I saw an Austria that had been taken over by a clandestine cabal of cartographers. (An ambiance of alliteration added to the allure of this alternative Austria.) Their mission: to make Austria’s shape more esthetically pleasing. But every time they fixed one lump, they created another. They ended up with a Europe-shaped Austria, which I’ll have to admit looked very nice on the map.

Then came an Austria which had been taken over by communists in 1848. The new government taxed away the aristocrats’ and capitalists’ wealth and forcibly converted the clergy into soldiers and laborers. But every neighboring nation, from Prussia to the Papal States, allied against the red menace, and the proletarian dictator committed suicide in 1858.

Later in the dream I saw a version of Austria which started off modestly with a 1836 war with Krakow. Krakow was handily defeated, but due to some technicality Austria was unable to annex any territory. Nonetheless, by 1860 they were able to accumulate a colonial empire (including taking Denmark’s colonies in the Austro-Danish war) and take Bosnia from Turkey. Next came a war against Russia, with Britain and Prussia as Austrian allies. Although Austria et al. won this war, the great loss of life for the gain of a single province was a severe blow for the national psyche. Within a decade, Austria had abandoned all her colonies, created a dozen new states for the various ethnic groups, and reinvented itself as a “great but small country.”

Then I saw an Austria which lost Lombardia in 1859 to a Franco-Sardinian alliance and Venetia in 1866 to a Prussia-Sardinian alliance, but otherwise remained intact, and even managed to take control of Bosnia-Herzegovina. Bordering Austria was Serbia, no longer an Ottoman satellite, and full of hostile Serb and “Yugoslav” nationalists. One of these nationalists assassinated the heir to the dual monarchy (only Austria and Hungary were included, perhaps that’s why the Yugoslavs were so upset), and this one gunshot escalated into a huge war that killed millions. Austria-Hungary ended up on the losing side of this war, and was dismantled by the victors.

Then I saw a new Austrian emperor in 1836 making preparations to invade Italy, then joining a war against the Ottomans and allied with Russia and Greece. The war was going well but the Montenegrins ended the war early with a “status quo ante” peace deal. This looked like a promising start, but unfortunately that’s when I woke.

June 2, 1870. Austria is at war once again…against France this time. Despite having no allies, France has declared war on Prussia, which has many allies, including Russia. Russia is allied with Greece, and Greece is allied with our realm. I’d say the odds are overwhelmingly on our side...we might even get a few more colonies out of this.

June 14, 1870. France now has allies…sort of. Denmark, Holstein, and Sweden have declared war on Prussia. There is no formal alliance between France and Denmark: I suspect the Danes thought this was a good time to take back Schleswig. The new combatants are not at war with AHS: the chain of alliances must have had a weak link.

May 30, 1871. The Ottoman Empire has allied with France, so now we have to fight them. Fortunately they also have to fight Russia.

August 17, 1871. Most of our units have been sent to the Balkans. We have very little with which to defend our holdings in Arabia. A three-division company is fighting the French in Central Africa. The Balkans are teeming with rebels which are supposedly on our side but they keep getting in our way.

April 17, 1872. We’ve repaid the Russian Empire for 1856, i.e. AHS has made a separate peace with the Ottomans. Bihac, Banjaluka, Tuzla, and Livno are now ours—which is probably more than we’d get from a peace treaty negotiated by France and Prussia. The Ottomans still don’t stand a chance against the Russian army.

France remains to be dealt with.

June 4, 1872. Austria-Hungary-Slavland has signed a peace treaty requested by France, and is now at peace. No territory will be exchanged, but French missions in the Congo and Central Africa will remain under AHS control. The war has left us $23 Mio in debt and has forced us to almost double our standing army.

October 17, 1873. The Ottomans have made peace with Russia but they now have a new enemy: Great Britain. Greece has actually switched sides and is now allied with France.

The war debt is mostly paid off now, and I can start thinking again about long-term projects such as the navy. We still lack a key technology to build ironclads, and I can’t get any of our scientists interested in research.

April 7, 1874. Sardinia-Piedmont declared war on the Two Sicilies earlier this year, and this might be our last opportunity to take the island of Sicily with its sulfur deposits. I would ask to join Sardinia-Piedmont’s alliance but our relations are extremely poor; yet again we’ll have to strike on our own. For some reason Spain has invoked its guarantee of independence and declared war on AHS even though they haven’t declared war on SP. It’s just as well: I think Austria is strong enough now to take back the Dalmatian coast.

May 11, 1874. Spain has sent two transport fleets into the Adriatic, to land troops on our coast. I think I know how to keep those transports occupied indefinitely!

November 9, 1874. There are only two provinces on the Adriatic that Spain can attack, with the North Adriatic effectively closed to transport ships. Apparently that’s all that Spain has either, though they do have three fleets of transports to our one. Spain can only continue the war by landing amphibious attacks on these two now very heavily occupied provinces. But they keep doing it. Unfortunately the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies won’t give in to our demands even though AHS controls not only the island but two provinces on the “toe” of the peninsula.

Nice review of all them Austrian AARs there.

Give those silly, stubborn Sicilians and those shrewd, sly, scheming Spaniards what-for!

April 17, 1876. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies is about to fall to Sardinia-Piedmont and their allies the Papal States. We have signed a separate peace treaty which gives us the two sulfur-producing provinces of Sicily, while they retain the western portion so that they won’t have to call themselves the Kingdom of the One Sicily. The treaty does not end our war with Spain, and I still have hope that our secret plan to break the stalemate and take back Dalmatia will work. Spain has not tried another amphibious attack recently…perhaps they are working on some scheme of their own.

October 16, 1876. Work has begun on our first “ironclad” ship: the beginning of our modern navy. The idea is to have it escort our transport fleet so it can leave the Adriatic where they continue to “battle” with the Spanish 1st Transport Squadron, and bring troops into Iberia.

August 18, 1878. The Great War that started between France and Prussia and ended as a war between Russia and the UK is finally over. Russia has signed a peace treaty yielding to the British a vast area of Asian territory from Alma-Alta to the Strait of Hormuz, including frontage on the Aral and Caspian seas. Austria gained some territory as a result of this war recently, despite having exited the war in 1872. The province of Kigali (in Africa) has revolted against Russian rule and has asked to join our empire.

Our ironclad should be ready soon. Dang these things take a long time to build!

March 18, 1880. The war with Spain is over. After sinking the Spanish Navy, a force was landed in Granada. This was a decoy, luring the Spanish forces to the south. A second force was landed in Valencia with orders to march to Madrid. Once the Spanish capital was occupied, peace terms were dictated. Austria-Hungary-Slavland regains the three Dalmatian provinces, nothing more. There are revolts in Africa and Arabia which we need to squelch, but that should be no problem now that we have mobility again.

August 11, 1884. Russia has signed an important deal with AHS today. In exchange for some technologies and 12 Mio cash, Russia and AHS will adjust several colonial claims in Central Africa.

"What's that red country?" you may be asking. That's another customization: I created five states in Africa which didn't exist in the 19th century but existed earlier in African history and might be remembered by rebellious Africans. These are Kongo (the red country on the map), Kanem, Mali, Mwana Mtapa, and Swahili Confederation.

(I added a few non-African revolt-countries also, including a Revolutionary China to model those times when there were two rival regimes in China, but these haven't affected this game as of yet)

Ignorant newbie question: Is there any way to shrink the screenshots slighlty to make them fit the screen better? As it is, any post with an illustration requires horizontal scrolling, which is annoying. I was never convinced to buy a digital camera, so I don't know these things.

March 13, 1888. What is now being called the Second Great War started on November 20, 1886 with a Russian declaration of war on France. Prussia soon joined on Russia’s side, and Sardinia-Piedmont on the side of France. The Ottoman Empire joined the war on France’s side in 1887. Today AHS has joined the war, *this* time with a proper alliance! The plan is to hold our forts on the Sardinian border, and invade the Ottoman Empire in the Balkans, Arabia, and Africa. It seems the latter two areas are being evacuated to fight on the Russian front. I’m sure France will try to take our colonies but defending these is a lower priority.

July 15, 1888. The Ottoman Empire made peace with Russia, giving them several provinces in Mesopotamia. Austria gained the province of Rashid, in Arabia. We might have obtained more, but most of our troops were still en route or had not completely taken over the province they were sent to invade. France is still our enemy. They have taken most of Kamerun but once our troops are redirected to West Africa things will change. The native cavalry we recruited to take Libya can easily be redirected to the French colonial claims.

July 29, 1892. Austria has signed a peace deal with France. It feels bad somehow to let down Prussia and Russia, which continue to fight the war, but our country is exhausted and we were offered excellent terms. We gain several of their colonies: not only Djibouti and Gabon but also Puerto Rico, the South Leeward Islands, and some islands in the Philippines. Niger was claimed using French-constructed but Austrian-occupied trade posts and missions.

The British like to say that the sun never sets on their empire. I’ll have to check with the astronomers but with Puerto Rico at 18°N 66°W and Cebu at 10°N 124°E our empire must at least be close to having that status!

Coming next: 1893 World Atlas and a digest of non-Austrian history

WORLD ATLAS, 1893

Europe. Denmark lost Jutland to Prussia in 1871; Sweden ceded northern Scandinavia to Russia in the same year. Germany has made no progress towards unification. Sardinia-Piedmont controls about 60% of Italy but remains “Sardinia-Piedmont.”

Africa. AHS annexed Kongo in 1887. Egypt was annexed by the Ottoman Empire in 1885, during the five-year peace treaty with AHS.

West African claims
Dark yellow = owned by AHS
Light yellow = having AHS claim building
Dark blue = owned by France
Light blue = having French claim building
Dark purple = owned by Spain
Light purple = having Spanish claim building
Dark green = owned by other colonial powers (Turkey, Portugal)
White = having claim buildings of other colonial powers (Russia, Sweden)
Black = African nations (Sokoto, Liberia)

SW Asia. There were Russo-Persian wars in 1840, 1847, 1861, and 1868; also an Ottoman-Persian war in 1863. The last Russo-Persian war ended with the annexation of Persia in 1869. Oman was annexed by Portugal, Aden was annexed by the Ottoman Empire, and Afghanistan was annexed by the UK…all in 1863! The 1878 treaty in which Russia cedes western Iran to the UK has been mentioned.

SE Asia. Eastern New Guinea, Alaska, and the Kuril Islands were originally Russian colonies but France gained them in a treaty of 1856.

North America. Mexico lost wars to the USA in 1843-50 (also involving Britain and nominally Austria though no Austrian forces were involved), 1855-58, 1863-64, 1884-85, and 1890-91. Britain also gained some territories from the Mexican Crisis War of 1861-63.

South America. Peru declared war on Argentina in 1855. Peru was joined by Colombia, Venezuela, and Brazil, but the UK was allied with Argentina. Brazil ceded territory to Argentina in 1857 to end this war (for them); Peru ceded additional territory in 1858. Argentina has not been able to colonize Patagonia—there are no conflicting claims, so I suppose they simply didn’t have the resources

Holy Bejeezus! The big white blob of Europe is now the big white blob of Africa. :wacko:

Just finished reading this AAR. Nicely done, will continue reading it. :)