• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Micutio

Second Lieutenant
55 Badges
Apr 24, 2012
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
Introduction

Welcome fellow adventurers! Let us embark on a journey to the other side of the world.
The far islands on the outmost southern edge of the world were deemed worthless for the British colonists. Until the year 1835 only a handful Europeans set foot on the lands inhabited by the mysterious Maori people. The soil seemed bereft of any valuable minerals, few fishermen could live off the shores but only sheep and cattle seemed to really thrive thereabouts.

Still... one could find peace here. One could elude his sorrows, Europe was a whole world away after all. So it came that some of the british settlers did not return home but remained there and established a new nation for all those who seek a new beginning.

About the AAR:

This is my first attempt at both writing an AAR and playing New Zealand as well. Since I read quite a lot awesome AARs about Vicky 2 I figured to make my own humble contribution. Any feedback/help is greatly appreciated since I am far from being a decent player. Accordingly my goals are as humble:
1. Stay independent until 1936
2. Build up a decent (or even strong) presence in the pacific theatre, colonize as much as possible
3. Become great power
This round will be played in AHD, version 2.31, without any mods, at normal difficulty.

Chapter One - Meet the Maori (1836 - 1846)

We start off January 1836 in New Zealand and a handful of british settlers are establishing a new nation. It is set out to be an open minded home home for everyone willing to risk the long journey to the end of the world. A small census is conducted to gain a little overview about our two islands:

drkf5.jpg

We have 3 prestige points, no military and no industry whatsoever. Which is no surprise since we just got there. The only available resources are cattle and sheep which even had to be brought here from Europe. A literacy rate of 10% is pretty low but at least tiny NZ is considered a "civilized nation". We have no soldiers which is okay because we also have nothing to fear at the moment. Now lets take a closer look at the people:

xvjCr.jpg

About 98% of our people are Maori, unfortunately unaccepted culture, and only 250 are British. This will have to change. The vast majority of our people are farmers, expectedly, with a bit of artisans to produce some useful goods. There are also some local warriors who suffice to keep some wild animals away but not nearly enough to fit out a whole brigade. First thing to do is bringing the clergymen up to 4% via NF to ensure constant growth in research. After that the NF is used to get enough bureaucrats for 100% administration effciency. First field to conduct research in is Medicine which benefits pop growth and may bring us grood prestige through the "Pressure Chamber" invention. After that the prestige yielding techs seem appropriate for some particular reasons:

- we have neither military nor fleet nor industry to boost
- our economy-techs are already above average since we inherited all techs from the UK
- early prestige is needed to become secondary power and being able to colonize the rest

of our islands which of course is top priority by now

TwkMK.png

Interestingly the conservative party portion of the 250 British is more liberal than the liberals themselves. But as in need of high tax rates open minded as our country is destined to be, only the liberals are suited for government. Everything seems to be set for a rather slow and fragile developmentas all of a sudden ships appear at our shores!

zBgnG.jpg

Word of our freedom loving nation spread throughout europe which is full of unsatisfied, unemployed or persecuted people. There is a constant massive influx of immigrants which in the best times even makes the USA(!) jealous of our tiny two islands. Thanks to that and to an amazingly fast assimilation the literacy climbs up rapidly. (I did really not see that coming after my previous games with Texas and the USCA were very disappointing in those aspects.)

D5p8u.png

Ironically the wisest men in New Zealand are still the natives themselves who teach the Maori way of life to the new arrived immigrants. A few British clergy however managed to sneak into the sacred tribal initiation rite conducted every summer to prepare the new Maori clergy priests for their duty in local schools. After the first year much has changed. The working population has increased by 2000, literacy went up from 10% to 17% and now 15% of our NZ's people are British thanks to a thoroughly oiled assimilation machinery.

I0NAJ.jpg

New Years Eve is celebrated with numerous Haka dances.

In the following years most things continue the way they started. The NF was used alternately to keep up clergymen or promote farmers and soldiers. Mid 1837 the first officers are sworn into duty, chosen only by their skill so that even forein immigrants can rise to highest ranks. As did our german fellow Reginald of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. The newly promoted are still waiting for regiments to command.

4MNmm.png

(I noticed that even after 10 officers my military score is still 0. Do I miss some game mechanics here or has their influence on the score been nerfed since vanilla?)

In early 1844 due to its immense popularity among immigrants New Zealand is considered equal to the secondary powers in the world, thus enabeling the opportunity to claim more land in the name of liberty. Hastily outfitted expeditions are sent to all corners of the islands to make more land accessible for the growing nation. On September 1844 however all Nation is in shock!

TlJyM.png

The colonizing operations failed, several colonists are missing. Unconfirmed reports spoke of little whirlwinds racing throught the forests, called "tasmanian devils", mauling everything that stands in their way. Surely this was just an exaggeration.
A few weeks after the incident New Zealand had fallen to rank 17 which deemed further expeditions impossible for now. Surprisingly some published reports about the incident were rated rather popular in old Europe and considered "Realist Literature" which not only repaired but even improved the reputation of our beloved country. Ranked 12th now colonizing expeditions were immediately carried out again.

As the first 10 years of New Zealands existence come to an end, endless streams of immigrants have left their mark on this young nation.

5q5qr.jpg

aHmOg.png

Literacy has been brought to 55% of its inhabitants whereas only 17% of them still are of true Maori origin. Two reforms have been enacted in short time to attract even more immigrants to the edge of the world. The working population has more than doubled over the last decade, still there are not enough men to fit out an army division. Soon to be tested prototypes of muzzle-loaded rifles may find application in putting down cows in local slaughterhouses.

On a side note: switching to the colonize NF as soon as New Zealand hit secondary power status was too rash of me since I cant be sure to stay sp all the way through colonizing. But still, after the first interruption NZ was still ranked 16th for at least a week. That means it was either that Argentina visited rank 16 for just one day or some other unknown reason.

Not only New Zealand has changed but other countries did too.

XoArW.png

Austria attempted to liberate Holstein but managed to only free Danish Ghana instead. Apparently their ships took the wrong turn after passing Gibraltar :D Following that almost disaster Prussia took its turn and succeeded. Just to return 5 years later to also liberate Iceland. Meanwhile, exhausted from constant warfare Denmark went bankrupt - only to be stumped on even more. Surprisingly, Prussia considered Denmark its own private property by then and sphered it, just so to intervene and chase some other attacker away from its precious playground.
On the other side of the great pond Mexico maximized its territorial gains and rises up to GP status. This could be relevant for us since the more Mexico and USA fight each other the less they have time to care about NZ messing around in the Pacific. But only future will tell.

VFAjg.jpg

Utterly unimpressed by European and American affairs, the people of New Zealand are happily celebrating New Years Eve 1845 with several festive Hakas.

Last edited:
And impressive effort so far. New Zealand's... cloud (?) is rising quickly in the world. But I wonder how much longer it can last before intervention.

First New Zealand AAR I've ever seen -- should be good!

This'll be interesting, though I do wonder how you'll get anywhere if you can't stay a secondary power long enough to finish colonizing NZ.

Very interesting choice of nation and a well-written start, I'll be following.

Thank you for all the kind words and the input, I greatly appreciate this. A new update is already incoming.

Xenophon13 said:
Looks good! Have you considered conquering Hawaii?
Vaya con Queso said:
Is there still a chance for you to claim Hawaii before the US spheres it? It would be nice to block them from the Pacific, so you can colonize uncontested.
Unfortunately the USA already sphered Hawaii by 1845. And to my astonishment Hawaii managed to already civilize by then.

Prince of Savoy said:
This'll be interesting, though I do wonder how you'll get anywhere if you can't stay a secondary power long enough to finish colonizing NZ.
That depends on whether the prestige techs can keep NZ up top long enough.

Stiefler said:
I am really curious what you can make out of this. The demgraphics look quite interesting so far.
I'm curious myself how far I can get with this. Hopefully it won't end too soon or get too boring ;)

Chapter Two - More Maori Military (1846 - 1856)

After the first ten years of its aspiring beginnings many things had become routine. Day after day new settlements and villages were erected, settlers sent to unexplored parts of both islands. Embassadors were sent to some Pacific bordering nations to build up a friendly neighborhood. Also every month new immigrants arrived from the old world and brought all kinds of news with them.

News of how Belgium and Denmark had ceased to exist, now officially parts of Netherlands respectively France. Other news spoke of a country which had recently emerged in the heart of Europe: the North German Federation. Rumors spread that more and more American gentlemen were seen in the streets of Peking and Mexico City, a sign of growing influence. In contrast to that, all over Asia and Africa progressive aspirations had been brought to an abrupt end. Only the Persian reform movements were strong enough to withstand the reactionary uprisings whereas Egypt, Afghanistan, Panjab, Korea and even Japan fell back into dark times of regression.

Besides all that our brave colonists advanced deeper and deeper into New Zealands hills and forests until July 23rd 1848 Slope Point was reached - New Zealands most southern place. Beyond its rough shore would be nothing more but only the frosty barren lands of Antarctica.

vvOQf.png

The prestige won by this undertaking strengthened New Zealands reputation as colonial power so that another settlement expedition on the northern island was conducted without further ado. And finally on August 28th 1849 the first important waypoint, gaining control over all New Zealand, was achieved.

Side Note: Sadly I can't make both colonies to states yet because no British person has moved there yet and Maori bureaucrats don't count.

9Pm19.png

TIL: The solider pops on North Island were enough to get the troops presence bonus. It did not even require actual brigades.

4AGbe.png

At the same time more and more capitalists arrived in Wellington finding ideal financial conditions for building up an industry there. The administration received numerous enquiries for building railways and factories. Although the offers were gladly accepted, more capitalists were needed to fund those projects.
Also the hard working people of New Zealand were celebrated in July 28th 1851 and in their honor a new reform, the 8 hour work day, was enacted. Such formidable working conditions would be a great increase for their happiness and productivity it was presumed.

UJthn.png

Meanwhile the government in Wellington decided that it was time to raise a brigade of armed forces. The young nation needed be able to defend it self against internal and external opposition.

K85WR.png

There were in fact groups who openly denounced the government and questioned its authority. It was imperative to guarantee the nations security!
Finally, on January 17th, 1855 enough men were gathered to form a brigade of marines.

2JeCP.png

After four months of hard training the fist New Zealand's Army Marines were born.

9s1pK.jpg

Also there were potential opponents outside the borders. Belgium and Denmark gave a frightening example what were to happen to a country unable to stand up for its cause. In fact, the next step on New Zealands agenda was to enter the international stage. An often discussed issue within the ministry of foreign affairs was to drive the american influence out of Hawaii.
The USA was clearly aiming at establishing a permanent presence in Honululu to gain access to the Pacific and all its riches. Upon arriving the Maori envoy discovered that this was already the case. The streets looked modern, english speaking people in quality clothing. The streets were paved and all kinds of goods available in the stores. Under the heavy american sphere of influence Hawaii had become a civilized nation and it would be only a question of time until they were to apply for statehood. There was also British and minor Russian influence noticed but setting a limit to the US presence seemed unreal.

kVzqb.png

On the other side of the Pacific things looked quite different. Brunei was weak and welcome to join the idea of New Zealandian liberalism. Siam was prone to fail after the UK had constantly dismembered it on its and Cambodias behalf.

Hdj7c.png

Such war mongering was seen with disgust and offering to bring Siam under Maori protection would benefit both. The exhausted and disfigured country still had over 1 million inhabitants and rich sources of lumber and tropical woods that outshined Brunei by quite a bit. However keeping it save and under control would be a much greater task.

While discussions about internal and external affairs continued, the year 1855 approached its final days.

euXIP.jpg

People of protestant, catholic, orthodox, animist, jewish and sunnite beliefs had come to New Zealand. About 83% of its population had accepted or been granted New Zealandic (alas British) citizenship. Over 60.000 working people (~220k total) were living now on these two islands. Its literacy was steadily climbing as was its prestige. A number of craftsmen were eagerly awaiting the construction of factories. They will have to wait some more it seems.

By its successful example of colonization and its popularity among immigrants, New Zealand has reached a high rank even among Secondary Powers. If it can continue expanding its influence over the Pacific it may even one day be seen as Great Power.

BAtYm.png

Mexico on the other hand is on the verge of losing its GP status to its former overlord Spain.

The sun set on December 31st 1855 and soon the new year will be greeted. With it, a decision will come. It will be Siam or Brunei.

m6WQc.jpg

Glad to see that this AAR is moving ahead and that you've accomplished the colonisation of both your home islands. I also like the way how you presented some latest news from all around the world at the beginning of this update. And I would definitelly go after Brunei if I were in your place at this point in the game. But then it's your game and I'll be glad to read about the outcome of any action you decide to make.

Thanks again for your input :)
The next episode should be up towards the end of the week.

robou said:
Nice work. Outward expansion is going to be necessary to stand up to the brutes.

Very true. It would also be very boring ;) Not many countries can do significant things without waging wars.

Vaya con Queso said:
Siam or Brunei, eh? Why choose just one? =P
To be serious, though, I would say go for Brunei; Siam might be a little too much to swallow right now.

Hoosier_Jedi said:
I'd go Brunai as well. It's closer and has very nice resources.

I realized that would be the appropriate decision. Ever since completing the colonizations the NF has been used to encourage soldiers. It seems very difficult to raise many brigades so the first war has to be made against a fairly easy opponent.

Stiefler said:
Glad to see that this AAR is moving ahead and that you've accomplished the colonisation of both your home islands. I also like the way how you presented some latest news from all around the world at the beginning of this update. And I would definitelly go after Brunei if I were in your place at this point in the game. But then it's your game and I'll be glad to read about the outcome of any action you decide to make.

Good to hear that my writing style appeals to you :) I'll try to refine it more in the following episodes. As I mentioned, Brunei would be the best option indeed. But Siam won't go unnoticed. You will see in the next episode.

Very true. It would also be very boring ;) Not many countries can do significant things without waging wars.

One of the worse things about V2 over the original in my opinion.

Last edited:
Chapter Three - Maori without Money (1856 - 1866)

January 1st 1856 came upon the Maori and the general staff had decided to include Brunei into our nation of liberty (Codename: Operation "Messiah"). Siam with its constant rebellions made its situation difficult to assess. Whereas Brunei could be taken with much less risks. Even though our Maori people had only the best intentions in mind, it was clear that the reigning elite in Brunei would not accept foreign administration without resistance.

Meanwhile news came to New Zealand that North Germany had declared war upon France to restore the legitimate german rule in Alsace-Lorraine. Austria and all its allies came to aid France.

Back in the Pacific the NZA Marines embarked for a transport to Malaysia. The NZN steamer made a stopover at Australia and a little detour for the siamese coast to gather a quick grasp of what had been talked about the last months.

R9kBL.jpg

After the Marines were given a short rest in Singapore and all preparations were completed, Operation 'Messiah' was launched.

1oWvh.png

The intial battle had been won quickly but a notable amount of buneian soldiers managed to escape into the jungle. Those guerillas however hesitated to wage attacks on the occupying forces. This was actively supported by the soldiers friendliness towards the locals. Unecassary bloodshed was reduced as much as possible and all of Brunei was occupied by Maori-British forces without attacking remaining Bruneian forces in the Muraleve jungle.

iCwof.png

x1uPf.jpg

When first news about the successful start of Operation "Messiah" reached the homelands the Maori Marines became national heroes and thousands of young New Zealanders poured into the drafting offices, willing to follow their examples. Within four weeks two more brigades were able to be raised.

QG2Ia.png

Simultanously two new transport vessels for the NZ Navy were commissioned.

According to international policy "New Zealandian Brunei" was treated as regular colony where all non-british people were granted limited citizenship of NZ. Immediately after the peace treaty was signed resistance against the new administration was formed. But thanks to the generosity of Maori rule no militant outbreak occured and in the following months the opposition shrunk steadily without vanishing completely though. In fact the colonies were handeled with such care that NZ's reputation on the international stage increased notably.

aw9u3.png

Even more so, New Zealand was now known all over the world. Its influence over the pacific nations grew steadily, thousands arrived at its gates every month and now its first military operation was successfully concluded. Following this success all the greatest Nations now had permanent embassies in Wellington. New Zealand was now even considered a Great Power.

CpFql.png

Shortly after that, Spain entered war against Modena who called Austria to its help. During the war Spain replaced NZ as Great Power #8 impressing the world with its strong (mobilized) military. Towards the end of the war however things turned around again and war exhausted Spain was listed Secondary Power again.

To further improve the situation of its citizens the last possible political reforms were enacted making New Zealand the most progressive country, politic-wise. As a result new records of immigration were achieved and the new won influence was used to establish a Maori presence in Hawaii. Maybe there was a way after all to limit american colonization of the pacific.

BoGuy.png

CuX1W.png

RZE6N.png

Meanwhile Japan had - according to western measure - become civilized. Actually it had been a remarkably cultivated country for 1000 years already. The ancient nation opened its gates to the world and not few of its citizens stepped through to leave the country for Maori lands.
Mid 1861 the Maori embassy in Mexico reported a widespread civil war in North America. Beyond the Rio Grande a so called 'Confederacy' which consisted of the southern states of the USA fought for its independency. Eventually in late 1963 the confederates succeeded against the far superior US Army and maintained the status quo. Mexico, still an ally of the USA, did not conceal its anti-american sentiments. Still it was impossible to determine how long the alliance could be further maintained.

QNNIZ.jpg

As of 1965 New Zealand had now a working population of 184k men and about 820k people in total. Raising a standing army and navy had taken its toll on the treasury but all taken loans could be paid back within a year. The New Zealandian people did their part at the home front. In summer 1865 a military operation was outfitted to bring Siam under Maori rule to finally put an end to the repeating reactionary uprisings. The rebels were put down with ease and until December 31st almost all of the provinces came under Maori control. Only Pakche was still out of reach through its isolated location between Dai Nam, Cambodia and Luang Prabang. Cambodia, as a satellite of Dai Nam could not be negotiated with. The other two uncivilized countries denied military access because of its weak relations with New Zealand. The future will show the true value of this little piece of landscape.

mWhbj.jpg

Last edited: