• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DHenry

Sergeant
42 Badges
Sep 29, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
Hey, so I just downloaded the latest version of the mod and Arab/all middle eastern culture's portrait just don't work. Their eyes are all over the place and they have several noses. I'll try to attach an image later. I'm not using any other mods, I have all DLC and am running it on 3.2.1.
Would be grateful for any help
Edit: solved it. Also, is there any fix to the messed up religion icons?

Last edited:
We could not figure out a fix for the religion icons, sadly.

same problem as you can you please tell my or show how you fixed it ? thank you please
Well I don't know if your problem is the same as mine, but mine was caused by a former version of Lux Invicta which l installed long ago that I forgot to delete before getting the new version. So I would try deleting stuff from your mod folder. Also, check if it happens on vanilla too, it could be a corruption of your base game, not necessarily the mod.

We could not figure out a fix for the religion icons, sadly.
Oh that's too bad. It's not really game breaking, at least. It's because of low GPU, right?
Some user in an old post suggested a code that could supposedly fix it, is it feasible?

Well I don't know if your problem is the same as mine, but mine was caused by a former version of Lux Invicta which l installed long ago that I forgot to delete before getting the new version. So I would try deleting stuff from your mod folder. Also, check if it happens on vanilla too, it could be a corruption of your base game, not necessarily the mod.

ok thank you for your response

Actually i don't have that problem but does anybody know how to get the old arab portraits back or like is it called oldmuslimgfx or something? I seriously loved the old versions (both the old western and muslim portraits before holy fury) very very baadly! I miss it and don't like the new muslim look much, that and need to badly mod the berbers portraits real quick and a custom culture I'm gonna make.

I don't understand this either... weird stuff! Maybe you can try Better Looking Garbs? or some other portrait mod alongside LI?

I wish I knew how to portrait mod better, but I definitely do not :(

I don't understand this either... weird stuff! Maybe you can try Better Looking Garbs? or some other portrait mod alongside LI?

No, BLG mitigates the problems for non-Arabs (besides the messed up French) but not the Arabs, I am guessing because BLG only fixes clothes, not faces. Now, I'm a HoI4 modder and not a CK2 one, but if I remember correctly, the way the engine generates characters is that it generates new character IDs based on the IDs of the parents. The physical traits of the character in the portrait is generated based on the same seed (I think, at least I've never seen any other seeds in the files), the physical appearance of the parent being part of their character ID (e.g. dark skin) and therefore, presumably what causes the messed up faces is a conflict in the character IDs. My guess is that one of the previous coders on the mod (whether it be Shaytana with the Almaqah work or just some graphical submod that got integrated at some point) added new facial traits to reflect the more diverse look of Middle Easterners in LI. Then, when Old Gods released, Paradox accidentally added some new facial traits with the same IDs. Thus, presumably, to fix it, one would need to compare the gfx ids for LI Arabs and Vanilla Arabs, then delete one of the matching sets to resolve the conflicts.

EDIT: Hmm... Looking at it now I am not so certain character ID is the seed. There must be some sort of seed combining the various gfx files, but I don't know where it is.

Last edited:
LI uses the HF portraits?

I've found the problem. Somebody's accidentally deleted the portrait offsets under interface/portrait_offsets/muslim_offsets. You'll need to find an earlier version of LI (possibly pre-2019) and get the coordinates and gfx list from there.

Can someone try adding this file into the mod and see what it does? Blanking these lines in this file was part of the fix I did last July to get portraits fixed...

Attachments

• muslim_offsets.txt
    806 bytes · Views: 0
Can someone try adding this file into the mod and see what it does? Blanking these lines in this file was part of the fix I did last July to get portraits fixed...

It fixed the invisible and black portraits, but the offset still seems way off for many of them. You should probably have fiddled with the values rather than blanking the file.

EDIT: Tried changing all the values to 0x0, which lessened the problem on some portraits but worsened it on others (e.g. the ruler of Nabatea misses his jaw). Is it possible the error lies in what LI regards as the center of the Muslim portraits?

Last edited:
I don't know. I am not a portrait modder by far :)

I don't know. I am not a portrait modder by far :)

Ugh, this is frustrating, it really messes up the game in the mid east region. Okay, so I read through the portrait modding manual and it didn't really help much. So, the characters have a DNA that's a series of letters, and determines which corresponding facial trait applies to them, collecting the gfx from the gfx file. The offsets then adjust the positioning of the gfx relative to the center of the portrait. So it seems my understanding from earlier was more or less correct, and the problem does lie in the interpretation of the offsets after the dna loads in the gfx. I did a bit of searching on the subreddit and found this:

Which I suppose might be related?

EDIT: Stupid formatting. Well, see the replies to that guy.

Yeah, I have zero clue.