• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stnylan

Compulsive CommentatAAR
128 Badges
Aug 1, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
I would dearly like to be able to better determine what messages I care about.

Personally in particular I would like to know what is happening in my family. Births especially. The game seems to tell me my brother died - who lives in a different realm - but not that I have a grand-child who may one day inherit. This seems ... odd.

• 45Like
Reactions:
It seems odd that a sequel running on the same engine Paradox has used for years, whose previous games in the same vein all had the option, removes an enormously useful QoL feature.

If making its function was deemed too costly or difficult it baffles me as to why, considering the complexity of CK3 is reduced compared to its predecessors (mechanically not visually). Not to mention that the studio is much larger now than when it made the previous games, it should not require too much effort especially since modders have managed to duct-tape together various mods to best replicate the feature.

• 2Like
Reactions:
how do we still not have this yet. three dlcs in, no notification settings

this should have been in the videogame at launch and we still dont have it nearly two years later. i bought the videogame for a friend a month or so ago and she refused to believe me when i said theres still precisely zero notification options, because its patently absurd. genuinely what the hell is going on backstage

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would dearly like to be able to better determine what messages I care about.

Personally in particular I would like to know what is happening in my family. Births especially. The game seems to tell me my brother died - who lives in a different realm - but not that I have a grand-child who may one day inherit. This seems ... odd.

I'd love to see this. There's just too many notifications, I'd like to be able to decide which ones I see. Especially the Iberian Struggle notifications, I thought I was going to drown in them. I couldn't clear them up fast enough.

Also, give us a hotkey to clear all notifications, so I can just quickly get rid of them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Honestly, the fact that we still haven't gotten this, despite it being the highest requested Suggestion, says just how much Paradox values our input

• 11Like
Reactions:
Honestly, the fact that we still haven't gotten this, despite it being the highest requested Suggestion, says just how much Paradox values our input

I suspect that it's not necessarily easy to work into the game design, which combined with a suspected different playstyle by many of the devs, creates a double barrier to implementation. That being said, it has been the top-rated suggestion for a while now (and is comfortably the biggest disincentive for me playing CK3 - CK3 gets less playtime than other similar-gen Paradox games almost entirely due to this, because the game makes itself harder to play than its predecessor, and barriers to gameplay = less gametime.

Stellaris doesn't suffer quite as badly, as it's possible to adjust playstyle to compensate for the limitations of the UI, although there's absolutely no doubt that of all the current gen of Paradox games, EU4 is the one with the least barriers as it does the best job of telling me what's going on - the others require much greater adaptation of playstyle to compensate for the shortcomings of the UI). HoI4 only does as well as it does because it's my favourite Paradox franchise, and UI-aside the rest of the game is streets ahead of HoI3 (some UI elements are also huge improvements, but it does a very poor job indeed of telling players what's happening off-screen, and its degree of customisation is minimal (although substantially greater than Stellaris')).

Sorry - I'm rambling - tl;dr - I expect the devs made adjusting the UI to inform players of what was going on as well as CK2 did difficult by (not-deliberate) design, which makes adjusting it now difficult, and I can understand this, but this understanding doesn't help make playing the game any easier!

• 5Like
Reactions:
A hotkey to just clear notifications would be easy to add. There's a mod I use now that uses "f" to clear message. It would take 10 seconds for the programmers to add it to the game and that would be a nice fix until the programmers have time to add an option to pick and choose notification.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Two and a half years since the release of the game I would like to say that this badly needed feature is still missing. Someone is plotting against a random prisoner or courtier? Pause the entire game and wait until I click the only button that says "We must stop the villain behind this!" About once every four months. Great.

Just go back and look at EU4. Now that's a game with a good amount of settings for all kinds of notifications. You could do it once, what happened?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Two and a half years since the release of the game I would like to say that this badly needed feature is still missing. Someone is plotting against a random prisoner or courtier? Pause the entire game and wait until I click the only button that says "We must stop the villain behind this!" About once every four months. Great.

Just go back and look at EU4. Now that's a game with a good amount of settings for all kinds of notifications. You could do it once, what happened?
No need to look at another series, Crusader Kings 2 alone has an extremely robust message options. Why they would remove completely optional quality of life features is beyond me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Checking in 942 days later to say this is still the most important suggestion on the board - please add this!

I know it's not as simple as "this game did it why can't you" but V3 heard this feedback and implemented it 127 days after launch.

Can someone please copy their homework? At least on the UX design side of things?

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm so glad I got a notification that the hybrid culture Byarmo-Vepsian formed thousands of miles from my realm but not that my son and heir rots in a dungeon. Cool!

• 9Haha
Reactions:
It seems message settings are now coming to Stellaris, as written here in Stellaris Dev Diary #295.

If both Victoria 3 and Stellaris both launched without message settings and have now gotten them, surely CK3 has no excuse not to add them now? At this point CK3 is the worst about quality-of-life out of all the Paradox GSGs.

It is probably more work to manually decide which events appears as messages than simply implementing message settings, which will become more and more of a time waster as the developers continue to add more expansions and features.

Adding message settings again seems like a no brainer, but the CK3 team has made decisions that have stumped the community before. Though, I am hopeful they will pivot in regards to message settings (to not be the odd game compared to the others).

• 3Like
Reactions:
It seems message settings are now coming to Stellaris, as written here in Stellaris Dev Diary #295.

If both Victoria 3 and Stellaris both launched without message settings and have now gotten them, surely CK3 has no excuse not to add them now? At this point CK3 is the worst about quality-of-life out of all the Paradox GSGs.

It is probably more work to manually decide which events appears as messages than simply implementing message settings, which will become more and more of a time waster as the developers continue to add more expansions and features.

Adding message settings again seems like a no brainer, but the CK3 team has made decisions that have stumped the community before. Though, I am hopeful they will pivot in regards to message settings (to not be the odd game compared to the others).
Yes and Victoria 3 has 3 teams working on it, Stellaris has 1 team for Expansions and 1 for Free Updates and Victoria 3 and Stellaris are both at their second incoming Update of this year, where CK3 has only their first not yet released Update and Expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Stellaris adding Message Settings in their recent update makes me hopeful. That was the one game where I was willing to accept the lack of notification customization since it was so different from their other games and there was never the big outcry for message settings there like there was for CK3/HOI4/VIC3. That and the VIC3 change might actually represent a cultural shift at paradox.

Just let me pick and choose where and how I want my my messages to show up Paradox!

Reactions:
Sometimes when I have nothing better to do I just speed 5 trough game because that’s what speed 5 is there for I assume. But in new DLC that increases the risk of missing out on tournaments, hunts, and suchlike. Unless I’m watching the feed like hawk by the time I manage to pause the game to check out invite there is a good chance I won't be able to travel there on time.

Yet another proof that not including message options in CK3 so players could choose to pause the game upon receiving activity notification was really bad design choice. And I suspect it will get ever more apparent the more stuff to which player need to react to in timely manner this game receives in future. Could you just admit you were wrong already Paradox and fix it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
In CK2 and EU4 I could comfortably play in Speed 5 and the game would pause whenever a siege or battle would start/end, allowing me to play the game at quick speeds while still letting me properly lead my armies. As it stands I have to lower it to Speed 3 during wars in order to be able to fight them properly, slowing the game to a painful crawl.

It's insane that despite the engine upgrade many quality of life features were abandoned for the sake of simplicity.

Reactions:
Sometimes when I have nothing better to do I just speed 5 trough game because that’s what speed 5 is there for I assume. But in new DLC that increases the risk of missing out on tournaments, hunts, and suchlike. Unless I’m watching the feed like hawk by the time I manage to pause the game to check out invite there is a good chance I won't be able to travel there on time.

Yet another proof that not including message options in CK3 so players could choose to pause the game upon receiving activity notification was really bad design choice. And I suspect it will get ever more apparent the more stuff to which player need to react to in timely manner this game receives in future. Could you just admit you were wrong already Paradox and fix it.

Oh yeah, the DLC adding timed events like available tournaments or invitations to events which can become unreachable in days is baffling without message settings. Is that another one of those cases where they design around multiplayer and assume speed 3 at all times is the standard?

Reactions:
I'd definitely love to see a 'notification log' that I can open up to find out what kind of toast notification I just missed because I was looking at another screen when it popped up.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Paradox is terrible at QoL - and the messages is a prime example.
Just look at the acclaimed message filters in Stellaris - there is no way to filter messages to the player from messages about 2 NPC realms - If you want to know if someone wants to make a migration treaty with you, then you will accept to see every single messge about migration treaties between everyone else too.

WWhy is this such a hard thing for Paradox to grasp? Different players value different kinds of information differently, just give us some options, it cannot be that hard.

• 6Like
Reactions: