• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, that does make sense.

I wonder if he gives the AI events to improve quality and offensive? (then later have it switch back to defensive) That'd be a good idea I think.

Actually, I agree. I'm not bothered at all by moving sliders around to make AIs better opponents, but I cannot tolerate extra cash, manus, etc. that he grants to make them tougher.

Probably so, but Portugal's trading empire was actually quite weak and only lasted as long as it did because of a lack of peer competitors during the 1500s. Once the English, Dutch, Omanis and Mughals got their acts together during the 1600s the Portuguese were pretty quickly marginalized, other than Brazil, as they simply couldn't compete. Portugal's Indian Ocean possessions were a net drain on the empire since most revenues were siphoned off by various governors and general corruption.

Well as far as I know, he does then simulate all the aggressors (except for perhaps Oman) to help attack the Portuguese empire. I certainly know that he beefs up the Dutch and the Mughals.

Probably so, but Portugal's trading empire was actually quite weak and only lasted as long as it did because of a lack of peer competitors during the 1500s. Once the English, Dutch, Omanis and Mughals got their acts together during the 1600s the Portuguese were pretty quickly marginalized, other than Brazil, as they simply couldn't compete. Portugal's Indian Ocean possessions were a net drain on the empire since most revenues were siphoned off by various governors and general corruption.

Quite weak...? -_- Portugal had tremendous advantagous in terms of logistics and knowledge, not without mentioning a superior geographical position, as well as initial financing of expeditions by the burgher community which was good enough to fund initial expeditions and was quickly reinforced. Talking about carving an Empire in a location previously completely unknown to the nation (India and the Indian Sea) and inhabitted mostly by hostile States, demonstrated great wile and resolve. Furthermore, the Portuguese fleet was vastly superior to the Dutch and English fleets and could very well maintain a thalassocracy over the Indian Seas, were it not for the Iberian union and consequent loss of most of the Portuguese fleet in the Spanish Invicible Armada. Truth is, Portugal only started getting threats to its Empire after the collapse of the Spanish Armada (And thusly) the Portuguese fleet.

Anyways, sticking to the topic, I myself as a Portuguese don't feel offended in any way by the implementation of indian cultures in Portugal, since it influences the AI in such a way that the Portuguese A.I. has a more historical decision making, in terms of enemies than without those cultures.

One thing I wish to add though is that AGCEEP was the result of a merger between AGC and EEP. Merging the best of both worlds to create something even better would not be unheard of for this mod. ; )

Others may have a different opinion...;)

A Portuguese huh? That's cool, used to play Portugal all the time.

So as a Portuguese what is your goal as Portugal when you play it?

In AGCEEP, I normally follow the historical colonial path, and build upon it, as events there give me free lands, which are much welcome.

In vanilla, I normally rush for the Americas.

One thing I do gotta say, AGCEEP is all about historical inaccuracy but it's not accurate for Spain to have trouble annexing the Incas and Aztecs for nearly a century in most of the game, or other A.I. eras. There have to be some ways to beef up the A.I. in an acceptable manner.

Lol, yeah a slip.

I don't know, I guess I'm just trying to think of ways to make the game more difficult.

you can only find that possible in mp play; after all ai can not possiblly be difficult no matter how it might look at first sight.ONLY a human can be unpredictable:) and THAT is what makes a game , ANY game "harder".

True. Although, that doesn't mean that we can't try to make the A.I. more intelligent. :D

Still, my life is so busy right now with all my work that I don't really have time for MP.

How would one do MP anyway? It sounds like it'd very difficult. Does the game keep going nonstop at a slow speed or fast speed? Who or how do people decide on how to stop the speed? And do people actually play through roughly 400 years together? It's hard enough finishing the game just by yourself. I find myself having to impose some restrictions to make it more interesting.

True. Although, that doesn't mean that we can't try to make the A.I. more intelligent. :D

Still, my life is so busy right now with all my work that I don't really have time for MP.

How would one do MP anyway? It sounds like it'd very difficult. Does the game keep going nonstop at a slow speed or fast speed? Who or how do people decide on how to stop the speed? And do people actually play through roughly 400 years together? It's hard enough finishing the game just by yourself. I find myself having to impose some restrictions to make it more interesting.

a "typical" session would last about 5 hours more or less, 1 day/week(SAME starting hours) spanning over a few months.yes the campaigns are fully played unless a "balance" is lost = a nation becomes way too powerfull as compared to others=loss of interst for players in general

generally speed is on bellow normal(above 8 people) or normal( 8 players or less) or above normal is less the 3-4 people. while a HUMAN vs HUMAN war the speed is kept on bellow normal or even "slow".

the mp play is diffrent from sp not just becouse human unpredictibility but also becouse the diplomatic aspect (objectives differ, alliances, you name it...)

read the mp section for more in detail and certain "particulars" information.

Quite weak...? -_- Portugal had tremendous advantagous in terms of logistics and knowledge, not without mentioning a superior geographical position, as well as initial financing of expeditions by the burgher community which was good enough to fund initial expeditions and was quickly reinforced. Talking about carving an Empire in a location previously completely unknown to the nation (India and the Indian Sea) and inhabitted mostly by hostile States, demonstrated great wile and resolve. Furthermore, the Portuguese fleet was vastly superior to the Dutch and English fleets and could very well maintain a thalassocracy over the Indian Seas, were it not for the Iberian union and consequent loss of most of the Portuguese fleet in the Spanish Invicible Armada. Truth is, Portugal only started getting threats to its Empire after the collapse of the Spanish Armada (And thusly) the Portuguese fleet.

Anyways, sticking to the topic, I myself as a Portuguese don't feel offended in any way by the implementation of indian cultures in Portugal, since it influences the AI in such a way that the Portuguese A.I. has a more historical decision making, in terms of enemies than without those cultures.

I do think that I said that Portugal was in relatively good shape during the 1500s in the Indian Ocean, although, again, she was really only challenged by the short-lived Ottoman/Gujarati alliances during the entire period since neither the Dutch nor the English did anything significant therein.

And if the Mughals had ever thought it necessary they could have evicted the Portuguese from India entirely pretty much at any time without the Portuguese being able to do much about it. But the Portuguese were extremely fortunate that they provided much that the Mughals wanted and were no threat to their empire so the Mughals had no real incentive to attack them in any serious manner.

First - Indian posessions, and mostly importantly, the spice trade, was what contributed vastly to the portuguese economy. Things like Sugar or Slave trade werent really important before we lost most of our asian trade. I wonder why the hell you say they were a drain on our resources because it was exactly the oposite. Yes corruption was vast during Spanish governance of Portugal, but even so most of the income came from the spice trade.

And quite frankly, our empire in asia collapsed only due to pure negligence from our Spanish "brothers". After Filipe II of Spain (Filipe I of Portugal), died, his heirs decided to put all their power into their servants. Guys like Duke of Lerma didnt care much for Portuguese possessions.

Actually they totaly dishonored what the Cortes in Portugal had decreed. Things like apointing spanish governors to portuguese jobs, or sending our men to fight for spanish interests, are just 2 out of many dishonorable acts.

The dutch conquests during Spanish control of Portugal, were, for the most part, unchallenged. They just had to beat the garrisons, because our great rulers didnt bother sending forces to reconquer the lost provinces. And except for that little aid against the dutch fleet near Brazil, Spain didnt do much.

As for considering Portugal quite weak... Laughable. Check Afonso de Albuquerque - the Portuguese Mars - and subquent ass kicking at Battle of Diu by Francisco Almeida. More then 100 enemy ships against little more then 20 portuguese ships. Not even a combined fleet of the Ottoman Empire/Venice/Mameluks/Gujarat/Ragusa/Calicut could beat us. Not bad, for weaklings i would say. ;)

You seem to know a lot about about Portugal.

What can you tell about the history between it and Ethiopia? I do know that they saved Ethiopia from being completely raped, pillaged and forced to convert and submit to an Ottoman vassal. That's their most positive example of colonial history.

Also, why didn't the Portuguese move their throne to Brazil earlier and why did they leave after Napoleon was defeated? Had they stayed there then their empire probably would have become 2nd to the British at the time.

On another note, how do they feel about America electing a black guy to be Prez?

And on a gaming note, I remember that over a year ago I commented on these boards about how if Portugal already owns all the provinces of Morocco (notably Fez) that the battle still takes place where Sebast gets killed. Someone mentioned putting in an event that puts in an alternate timeline to account for that, was that ever put in?

Last edited:
You seem to know a lot about about Portugal.

What can you tell about the history between it and Ethiopia? I do know that they saved Ethiopia from being completely raped, pillaged and forced to convert and submit to an Ottoman vassal. That's their most positive example of colonial history.

I see the opposite. Poor Adal was eventually doomed.:(

And on a gaming note, I remember that over a year ago I commented on these boards about how if Portugal already owns all the provinces of Morocco (notably Fez) that the battle still takes place where Sebast gets killed. Someone mentioned putting in an event that puts in an alternate timeline to account for that, was that ever put in?

As far as I know, I fixed that. Now if Morocco or Sus (FEZ tag) exists, the crusade can still take place. Note though that Sebastião will still die. You'll just get this event instead...

Code:
#(1580) Catarina Bragança
event = {
	id = 260097
	random = no
	trigger = {
		OR = {
			NOT = { exists = SPA }
			NOT = { event = 3272 } #POR: King Sebastião's Expedition to North Africa
		}
	}
	country = POR
	name = "EVENTNAME260097" #Catarina Bragança
	desc = "EVENTHIST260097"
	#-#

date = { day = 29 month = january year = 1580 }
	offset = 0
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = february year = 1580 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME260097A" #Our Queen!
		command = { type = revoltrisk which = 12 value = 5 }
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 0110522 } #Catarina I °
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 0110523 } #Teodosio I °
		command = { type = stability value = -1 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 3274 } #POR: Filipe II's Claim to the Throne
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 260091 } #POR: Filipe II's Claim to the Throne - alternate
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 260071 } #POR: The Regency
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 260073 } #POR: The House of Bragança #1580 version
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 260088 } #POR: The House of Bragança #1581 version
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 18105 } #POR: Triumph of Aviz
	}
}
In January of 1580, King Sebastião died quite unexpectedly in his sleep. Predeceased by his uncle, Henrique, the royal house of Aviz had officially died out. Catarina Bragança, as daughter of Prince Duarte (son of Manuel I), had the strongest claim of any of the nobles, although some were displeased with the idea of a female monarch. Facing little opposition, Catarina became Queen of Portugal.

Also, why didn't the Portuguese move their throne to Brazil earlier and why did they leave after Napoleon was defeated? Had they stayed there then their empire probably would have become 2nd to the British at the time.

Why should they have moved earlier? They only went to Brazil because of Napoleon's army. And well, it seems they didnt have any idea of coming back, but after Napoleon was gone, and Beresford was still taking care of things in Portugal (causing unhapiness amongst everyone), the population demanded the return of the king - otherwise they would form up a government of their own. Everyone was simply tired of Beresford Dictatorship. It is said that during his government, tremendous amounts of gold, either from pillaging Churches or from Taxation, were sent to England.

The king obviously returned but then commited his biggest mistake - left his son in Brazil.

Should the king have stood in Brazil, only God knows what problems might have occured. Most likely rebelions in continental Portugal.

That's their most positive example of colonial history.

Nah, most positive example of colonial history was bringing civilization to the 4 corners of the world, specially to these areas where all the natives did was dance naked around fire. ;)