• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(81979)

Cisár všetkých Slovákov
5 Badges
Aug 10, 2007
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Pillars of Eternity
Hello all! After my self-imploding, file-exploding, and utterly failed AAR previous to this one, I must redeem my credit and give a strong new AAR! Thus is born: Men of Carpathia: A Wallachia AAR

Chapter 1, 1419-1423 Page One
Chapter 2, 1423-1428 " "
Chapter 3, 1428-1435 " "
Chapter 4, 1435-1439 " "
Chapter 5, 1439-1445 Page Two
Chapter 6, 1445-1446 " "
Chapter 7, 1446-1450 " "
Chapter 8, 1450-1452 " "
Chapter 9, 1452-1459 Page Three
Chapter 10, 1459-1462 " "
Chapter 11, 1462-1465 " "
Chapter 12, 1465-1467 Page Four
Chapter 13, 1467-1469 " "
Chapter 14, 1469-1473 " "
Chapter 15, 1473-1477 Page Five
Chapter 16, 1477-1483 " "
Chapter 17, 1483-1485 " "
Chapter 18, 1485-1493 Page Six
Chapter 19, 1493-1496 " "
Chapter 20, 1496-1500 " "
Chapter 21, 1500 Page Seven *Special Edition*
Chapter 22, 1500-1504 " "
Chapter 23, 1504-1510 " "
Chapter 24, 1510-1514 Page Eight
Chapter 25, 1514-1521 " "
Chapter 26, 1521-1525 Page Nine
Chapter 27, 1525-1532 " "
Chapter 28, 1532-1536 " "
Chapter 29, 1536-1538 Page Ten
Chapter 30, 1538-1542 " "
Chapter 31, 1542-1544 " " *Colonization Edition*

Last edited:
Wallachia, great choice! I may start following my first EU2 AAR with this one

Capibara said:
Wallachia, great choice! I may start following my first EU2 AAR with this one

I'm honored! I have enjoyed reading your all island AAR quite well, my friend! The start is coming in just a few minutes...

Chapter 1, 1419-1423

The dawn of an era! The lazy Arges river wound slowly through the high mountains and cliffs of the Carpathians, and the Wallachian people were awkening to a new era of prosperity.

1.jpg

Europe, 1419.

The hundred years war was winding down, but no one knew or cared for that matter in the small Carpathian Duchy. Having staved off the Hungarians and Ottomas for so long brought them pride enough!

2.jpg

A look at Wallachia and her neighbors, 1419.

The first year and nine months went uneventful, with only some grumblings about the new tax collector stationed in Tirgoviste. The calm was shaken on July 15, 1420 when thier Orthodox brothers in the Duchy of Moldovia declared war, without any casus belli!

3.jpg

Those evil Moravians!

The march was declared and the mighty 20,000 Wallachian men of war lurched into action and met the Moldovians in battle on the 29thf August, and continued to mid September. The Wallachians commanded a 2:1 ratio against the Moldovians, and were able to push them out of the province quite handily. In no time Iasi was besiged by the arms of Wallachia!

4.jpg

The Moldovian flight from Iasi.

The siege continued with near constant interruptions from the pesky Moldovians who inhibited the progress of the siege. A suprise Herald from the Knights of the Order of St. John offered Wallachia an Alliance , which was readilyy accepted, as the Mamelukes were part of that alliance, and would be useful in wars against the Ottomans in the distant future.

5.jpg

The offer of 1421.

The garrison of Iasi finally surrenderd on August 10, 1422, and the march was quickly declared toward Bujak prrovince. The token Moldovian resistance was put to rest quickly and the city was put under siege.

6.jpg

The siege of Bujak province.

The siege ended on the 30th of July, 1423, and peace was declared some weeks later. Bujak province was to go to Wallachia, 240 Ducats to Wallachia, and Moldovia was to be Vassalized. A stiff punishment, but those who trifle with Wallachia deserve that and more.

7.jpg

The new Wallachia!

All hail Wallachia! Join me next time as I tell the tale of the might warriors, the Men of Carpathia, a Wallachia AAR!

Last edited:
Chapter 2, 1423-1428

The peace lasted less than a year, whence the Knights asked most graciously for help in their war against Ragusa and Albania. Being a good Ally, I happily accepted.

8.jpg

The start of the Albanian War.

War was officially declared on July 17, 1424, and troops marched to the border with Serbia, when they suddenly rembered that they have no Military access. After a long persuasive argument, access was granted May 1, 1425.

9.jpg

Finally!

After brushing aside a small Ragusan regiment, Albania was occupied and the siege of Durres began in earnest in September of 1425.

10.jpg

After several months alone, many armies of the Knights, Aragon, Castille, and the Knights joined the siege.

11.jpg

The coalition grows.

While the siege was going on, the Ottomas made an offer that was pure gold. With military acess, that would be a basic guarantee that they would not attack.

12.jpg

Excellent!

Durres fell in late 1426, whence the depleted Wallachian army limped back to Tirgoviste to pick up reinforcements. During this time, a loan taken in the previous war came due, which hurt the coffers of the small state severely.

13.jpg

Ouch!

After the army reinforced, they were redeployed to siege Northern Albania, and began the siege of Sarajevo in earnest in mid June of 1427.

14.jpg

Siege of Sarajevo, 1427.

Being good allies, we accepted the call of Aragon in 1427 of its attack on Granada, it probably won't affect us anyway.

15.jpg

You want our help to attack who?

After the fall of Zagreb in February of 1428, a peace was signed several weeks later which dealt a vassilization charge to Albania, and the giving of Bosnia to Wallachia.

16.jpg

The diplomatic view of Wallachia, 1428.

And...

17.jpg

The political view of Wallachia in 1428.

An excellent half-decade if you ask me! Join me next time as I conquer the world (not really) on the next chapter of Men of Carpathia: A Wallachia AAR!

Right ho, I'm onboard for this AAR - who knows I might even dust off EU2 when I finish my current EU3 GC!

Excellent start, Serbia next?

Thanks for the PM!

PrawnStar said:
Right ho, I'm onboard for this AAR - who knows I might even dust off EU2 when I finish my current EU3 GC!

Excellent start, Serbia next?

Thanks for the PM!

Good to see you on board! I doubt Serbia will be next, although their growing power does concern me. Right now they're fighting a war with Hungary, and when that's over I might take off a chunk for myself!

Nice, haven't seen a Wallachian AAR for quite some time, I think. If there even was any, actually :). I will be following this.
You seem to be using some older version of EU2, aren't you? Graphics (shields/flags, to be exact) look like quite a lot before 1.07...
Do I see correctly that the Byzantines annexed Ragusa? Good :cool:. Always happy to see an AI Byz succeed.

Emperor_krk said:
Nice, haven't seen a Wallachian AAR for quite some time, I think. If there even was any, actually :). I will be following this.
You seem to be using some older version of EU2, aren't you? Graphics (shields/flags, to be exact) look like quite a lot before 1.07...
Do I see correctly that the Byzantines annexed Ragusa? Good :cool:. Always happy to see an AI Byz succeed.

Welcome! If you look in the EU2 library, there is an excellent Wallachian AAR by Director if you are interested in reading it. Yes, the Byzantines did annex Ragusa. I might be looking to them for an alliance after my one with the Europeans and the Knights ends.

Update later today, but probably tomorrow!

Last edited:
Wow! The Byzantine Moving about! That might prove to worsen the situation for the turks :) Stalling them for quiet some time or even hampering their moment forever!

Lord Skane- I hope so. Perhaps a new Wallachian-Byzantine Alliance in the distant future? :cool:

chefkoch- Thank you! The Turks have been pre-occupied with several wars in Asia Minor which suprisingly ended without any true closure. I hope they stay focused on their Eastern frontier for at least a while longer

All- Update within an hour!

Chapter 3, 1428-1435

The city of Sarajevo and the rest of Wallachia spent 1428-30 resting and relaxing, enjoying a temporary 'Pax Wallachia' with only a few notable vents happening.

18.jpg

For instance, the land technology went to two. When, out of the blue, the citizens of Sarajevo and the surrounding communites declared themselves in open rebellion!

19.jpg

The revolt was put down, but with some difficulty.

20.jpg

Far to many men were lost, so the army returned to Tirgoviste to replenish their flanks. The Army stayed on in the wake of the death of King Alexandru, to maintain order. The absense from Bosnia province caused another rebellion.

21.jpg

Again!

This time, it was put down with minimal casualties. Col. Calafat wisel decided not to leave Bosnia for the time being.

22.jpg

Whew!

The peace continued with only occasional flare-ups that Calafat easily put down. That is, until 1434 when Moldovia had the audacity to seperate herself from our mighty clutches!

23.jpg

On August 10, war was declared and Calafat using his brilliant tactical mind ensured us a victory with this cunning plan:

24.jpg

Brilliant!

Within days, the mighty sons of Carpathia were besieging Iasi for the second time in their lives. The city fared well, and held out until August 5th, 1435. Peace was signed the same day it fell, and Moldovia was returned to the flock, in a more brutal way...

25.jpg

...as in they were completely annexed.

Here is the political make-up after the war:

26.jpg

Lookin' good!

And the diplo make-up:

27.jpg

Excellent!

And that does it for this epsiode! Join me, your humble servent, as I attempt to catalouge the great sucess of Wallachia in the next amazingly powerful and provokative episode of Men of Carpathia, A Wallachia AAR!

Last edited:
If I were you I would consider releasing Bosnia - they are cut away, wrong culture and wrong religion, hampering your development rather then helping in it.

And then take on the Turks! :D

Don't cut away Bosnia - size matters!

I would suggest keeping it until at least after a war with the Ottos - if that war goes badly offer to cut away Bosnia for peace.

Chapter 4, 1435-1439

As the sun beat down on the city of of Bucharest, King Alexandru had to reach a decision. The Bosnian crisis had reaced a turning point, and he felt that there was the easy ay, and the hard way. The hard way was to release Bosnia as a seperate state and lose that valuable province. The easy way would be to keep her and just smash the incessant rebellions.

28.jpg

Eventually he reached a decision, and on August 8, 1435 the new nation of Bosnia was born.

29.jpg

The new Bosnia.

30.jpg

With the nobleman Hracovec on the throne, the puppet state was ready for anything! (Right...)

As the days wound though Winter and then into spring, an interestin oppertunity presented itself. Although not allied, Byzantium had taklen the initiative and had attacked the Ottomans.

31.jpg

King Alexandru seized the golden oppertunity and declared war on April 5, 1436.

32.jpg

Now, the Ottomas had a one-two punch coming.

33.jpg

With the Byzantines easily keeping the Ottomans at bay in Anatolia, the mighty Wallachian army marched onto the plains of Rumelia province and set up a siege. The city finally fell after the very long siege of 3 years on May 13, 1439. (Sorry, forgot to take a screenshot!)

Whilst the city was busy falling, and Alexandru busy dying, the alliance expired with the Europeans and Wallachia was again free to pick up allies. The new King Vlad Tepes met with representatives from Crimea, Byzantium, Austria, and Georgia in Constantinople on June 20, 1439. They were very receptive to Vlad's ideas and admitted him to the alliance the next day.

34.jpg

So, what of the war? What happened? Well, you'll have to find out in the next spine-tingling episode of Men of Carpathia: A Wallachia AAR!

Glad to hear that.
I think releasing Bosnia was a good move - like I said, the province gave you much more troubles than wealth, while also hampering your technological development.
A nice alliance you have there. I'd try to get as much as possible from it - take Rumelia and/or Dobrudja and get a common border with the Byzantines - you might then be able to vassalize (I know common border isn't needed for vassalization, but might be helpful when another war comes - you can send troops to help them, which they will probably do in return themselves should e.g. Poland/Hungary attack you) and perhaps annex them later.
Vlad Tepes is a leader as well, right?