• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trashed

Major
48 Badges
Nov 15, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Knights of Honor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • King Arthur II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
Memento Mori Modpack for CKII 2.04

Memento Mori is a mod born out of a simple ambition. To bring back a little bit of the uncertainty and excitement that came with managing a dynasty in the original Crusader Kings with the excellent DVIP mod. While Crusader Kings II is in almost every aspect an improvement on the original game, Paradox hasdrastically lowered the difficulties and dangers that your characters run into during their life in themiddle ages. Diseases back then were deadly, medical care was more apt to kill you than heal you, giving birth was like playing Russian roulette and violence maimed and killed as often as it gave prestige. This mod attempts to emulate the hardships that people endured in those times. Mind you, this is not made to make life for your nobles impossible or the game a whole lot more difficult. This is designed to make you stop taking easy births, easy sickbeds and long lifespans for granted and to make you be a lot more invested in the succession of your lineage. In short, to make the Medieval Dynasty Simulator part of this amazing game a little more exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

Diseases are more virulent and deadly.
Wounds are more serious.
Battles have become slightly more dangerous for the participants.
More prestige gained for participants in battle.
Traveling over the sea has become a bit more like the dangerous thing it used to be.
Assassination attempts have more serious consequences.
Children can now be stillborn.
Sieges can now lead to buildings become ruined.

This is a modpack that along with Memento Mori also containts the excellent traits, ambitions and events from VIET, the amazing map update from NBRT+, the varied cities found in Culturally Different Cities and the excellent interface and armoiries updates found in ARKOpack interface and, well, armoiries. After a lot of tinkering and experimentation I must conclude that this is the closest I've come to the original vision I had with CK2 and my own mod. An exciting feudal simulator in which the whole dynasty management part is as important as the whole realm running business.

Many thanks to Wiz, Vaarne Aarne, Cybrxkhan, apg, fawr, avee, GAGA extrem, rafek, the_chancellor and all those other people whom I bothered with endless questions and from whose mods I both learned and burrowed. This thing wouldn't exist without you!

Download the Memento Mori modpack here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/n9h4nipc5w92x19/Memento Mori Modpack 2.04.rar
Unrar the mod into your mod folder (C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\)
Select the mod in your launcher
Voila

Ofcourse there is also my good old Memento Mori stand-alone mod. For those who simply want to make vanilla more interesting or have their own preferred other mods in place.
Download Memento Mori here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lfagot5p5l7mxgc/Memento Mori 2.04.rar

Last edited:
sounds great! +1 especially to having childbirth being much more perilous.

speaking of perilous, if I may entice you into feature creep already :), one thing that's always bothered me is how safe naval travel is in CK2. In real life, even just a trip across the English Channel was a fraught undertaking, whereas in CK2 you can load 'em up in Oslo and disembark in Cairo without a problem. Any chance something could be added to address that?

Yeah, that's the thing I really miss in vanilla. Must admit that I took the childbirth events almost 1-1 from CKII+ since I couldn't get it to work by myself. The way Wiz fixed it really is quite elegant. Anyway, while I'm very much learning as I go I don't really see a way to make seafaring perilous in any way. Which is indeed silly as it was indeed incredibly dangerous in those days. Perhaps something could be done with supply limits? I'll give it a look.

Anyway, do let me know how (and if) you enjoy the mod! Cheers.

take a look at CK DV for some ideas, maybe. (I know I say that a lot, but that crew turned out a great mod.)

Anyway, there was an at_sea trigger in CK1 that might be in CK2. Just an idea.

So you're going high birth rate, high infant mortality, eh? That is missing from CK2. I remember in CK1 actually praying in one or two cases that this baby makes it out of the dead zone (age 0-5) so that I can unite Castile and Aquitaine. ;) Inheritance is pretty much assured in CK2 presently if you can produce one heir.

Inheritance is pretty much assured in CK2 presently if you can produce one heir.

That is the exact reason why I decided to try my hand at modding. In CKI you had to stay on your toes and even then the game could suddenly turn on you. Inheritence was never a given and even with multiple heirs one could run into a streak of bad luck and go down under. When I started noticing that this element of chance was missing I really felt cheapened. Personally I feel that Paradox wanted to reach a wider audience and thus made the game a bit more friendly but for me it really took away one of the things that made the original so fresh and exciting. The mod isn't supposed to be a big gameplay enhancer, it's merely aimed at bringing back a little of that old feel.

So you're going high birth rate, high infant mortality, eh?

That and an overall higher mortality so characters don't all reach a save old age anymore. I'm actually aiming for the historical numbers of about ten pregnancies per female with a child mortality of 50% and a life expectancy for those that make it of about 45-50. It's historical and should also spice things up. Bit of a balancing act but the current version comes close. Or did so in my test games.

Anyway, there was an at_sea trigger in CK1 that might be in CK2. Just an idea.

They used it in DVIP to keep the muslims away from Ireland, right? I'll check it out.

Well, that's going to be checked out for the next version. Base value seems to be 0,05 though. Perhaps unused? I'll up it dramatically to see if it actually works.

Also saw those unused values for mild, normal and severe winters there? Fascinating, eh? Seasons that were cut? DLC in the making? Dunno.

Cut or alternatively residual from rome, maybe? (there's other stuff left over from rome in the directories too). I thought the original value was blank, maybe I just upped it slightly lol. Smack it up to 50 and see if your troops die after a day at sea to test if it works?

Seems there actually is a supply limit in sea and ocean zones of 7 or 8k with attrition rates for both types. Might be fun to check out. I'll give it a better look tomorrow.

Been finding lots of interesting stuff in the txt files. Not to mention fun little comments here and there. :)

Well, that's going to be checked out for the next version. Base value seems to be 0,05 though. Perhaps unused? I'll up it dramatically to see if it actually works.

Also saw those unused values for mild, normal and severe winters there? Fascinating, eh? Seasons that were cut? DLC in the making? Dunno.

Good ideas.

Not to derail the thread... but check out the naval combat settings in static_modifiers.txt and in the gfx folder a naval background AND an event graphic for a KRAKEN. Doomdark is a nautical sort of fellow (scuba diver and all that), so I have uncovered a plot to institute naval combat in Crusader Kings II! :D

Good ideas.

Not to derail the thread... but check out the naval combat settings in static_modifiers.txt and in the gfx folder a naval background AND an event graphic for a KRAKEN. Doomdark is a nautical sort of fellow (scuba diver and all that), so I have uncovered a plot to institute naval combat in Crusader Kings II! :D

A Kraken? Haha, awesome. Now that would make a fun event. 'Complaining there is no naval combat or naval attrition? Well, say goobye to your heir and his troops on this fleet because here is a HOTDAMN KRAKEN.' One can only hope they put it in a later patch or dlc. :happy:

Good ideas.

There are also sounds for naval combat using the CK2 combat sound system. The seasons and the like are probably holdovers from previous games, but hopefully naval combat is on its way. Most likely its due to the sound guy/team creating those sounds long before it was cut, but one can hope. What's the point of even having Scandanavia on the map if there isn't naval combat?