• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Round IX (1423 - 1426):This is not our war

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe and B. Rene Daid to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we are following Savoy. Last time, our guest Amédée VIII de Savoie did liberate Jerusalem from the Mamluks, and restored the Catholic Faith in Europe, against the Hussites. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Amédée VIII de Savoie, Roi des Arpitans, Rei d'Aragó, Rìghrean na h-Alba, Knjaže Bălgarija, Prince de Savoie, Δεσπότης της Ηπείρου, Duc de Lorraine, Graft von Hohenzollern

1414_6_ho_zpsacb072ec.png

Ray: Amédée, how are you doing?

Amédée: Fine Ray, Thanks!

Ray: Amédée, as a true defender of the faith, you achieved nice things last round, liberating Alexandria, and Jerusalem, pushing back the Ottomans and the Hussites... But right now the Ottomans are back attacking European nations... We are in the middle of the war here, so what to expect from you?

Amédée: Well, first of all, please note that the Hussites are not down yet. They do not have the support of any government, but this does not mean it will stay like that. So our European forces will remain alert, ready to attack any nation that would openly support the Hussites.

George: This is good talk boy!

Ray: What about the Ottomans?

Amédée: Well, right now our partners are taking care of the situation. Epirus, Bulgaria and Aragon are doing a good job, so we'll have to push back the Ottomans as far as we can, to stop that threat for good. We will stay alert, ready to deploy troops in Turkey if they need it, but the last reports I've received were optimistic enough, so we probably won't have to physically take part of the fight. We have to focus on Europe, as it would be a shame to have a Catholic Turkey with Hussites in our backyard.

George: About that... The few battles during the Hussites wars - I'm thinking of the ones in Brussels or Denmark - showed your troops being defeated. In my mind, it came from two factors: First of all, your stupid decision to reduce by a sixth the size of all armies. Savoyard troops have better generals, and better techniques, so they do not need the number advantage, but some battles might have been won with a couple more regiments. Second, the reduction of 25% of your armies. During the last days of the wars, some troops were exhausted because this involved less rotation. And again, more armies mean more reinforcement. Gaspard de Lornay or Philippe de la Palud asked for reinforcements, but there was just no army to back them up!

Amédée: You are entirely right. We did reduce our army force by more than a third, which are large numbers. We knew this would mean less power on the battlefield, and probably a few defeats. But we had to do this. But in the last days of the war, we did learn from our mistakes. First, we would use more troops in every conflict. It is better to oversize the enemy than to give him any hope. Moreover, we raised a 10-th defending army, and recruited 1000 knights for each army. This is a total of 15 additional regiments.

George: Only half of what you disbanded ! And we know that 10-th army will be disbanded after the war. It only came from your vassals and costed you nothing in recruitment!

Amédée: Indeed. But you'll have to understand that we are not as strong economically as we might want, and I fear our neighbor would modernize faster than we do. Get better techniques, better weapons. And I'm not only talking of military -since obviously we are ahead in military techniques-, but of everything. The center of trade of Firenze has been disbanded, Bar's is not doing that well, and our own center in Alexandria loses merchants every day. Why is that, while Lubeck, Paris and London are wealthy? How do you pay for an army without resources? Why do we produce less wheat than France, Austria or Castille? How are we going to feed our troops? I heard from the Aragon court that some Genoan sailors would like to follow Fez' banks to find a way to India. Right now no one wants to sponsor them, but what if someone do and these guys find something worthy? Will we explore with the transport ships we have right now?

Ray: So, expansions should be done through new vassals or annexation of existing ones?

Amédée: I wish it was so easy. Well, the hussites wars made a lot of small nations - vassals or not - strongly believe in us. You could say they are in our "sphere of influence" -whatever that means-, so we could think it will be easier to vassalize / annex them. Although, according to my councilors, I am not charismatic enough to offer that.

Ray: So, they agree to join Savoy, but not under your rule?

Amédée: this is exactly that...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George: So Amédée is not planning to help Epirus. Let see if they need help... There are still two reasonable Ottoman Armies over there. One is sieging Genoan Amasra, while the other one is occupying a small Malta Order Island. But they can't cross the straights with the Epirus navy patroling, so they are pretty much stuck there. Then a large Epirus army is taking cities one after the other, in Ottomans mainland...

1423_3_zpsd9e08247.png

Ray: Genoa and France leave the war though. It is going to be Epirus versus the Ottomans...

Georges: Not really, because Aragon and Armagnac are landing troops in captured Biga.

Ray: in Autumn 1423, and during the following winter, Genoa sends several spies to Savoy to destabilize the country. They are all killed, but in March, Amédée is really annoyed by this... He looks at the situation in Turkey...

1424_3_zpsdb091139.png

George: And he declares war on Genoa! Milan joins the fight against Savoy. This is a perfectly timed war, as the entire Savoyard army, from Denmark to Jerusalem, was already on Milan's boundaries, including the famous 10th and 11th armies of the Hussite war. This is no match for the defending troops.

1424_4_zps9fe6ba6e.png

Ray: This declaration of war against Genoa, for a trivial espionage reason, shows to the world how confident Amédée is of winning the war against Ottomans. As always, it brings vultures to the feast. Serbia, Venice, Karaman and Candar attack the Ottomans. On the other hand, Ulm is seized by Hussites rebels in July 1424

1424_5_zps57825484.png

George: By November though, the situation in Turkey and Italy is neat enough, so Amédée can attack and siege Ulm.

1424_11_zpsb3922b65.png

1424_11_ita_zps58066c6a.png

Ray: The city can hold a siege though. And in November, Denmark converts back to Hussite. Amédée will have to wait two years to attack, for the current truce to terminate.

George: How is that possible? They converted back, the truce should be broken?

Ray: This is not that simple George. If you remember, Denmark converted back willingly. A catholic Denmark was not the terms of the peace treaty.... They are free to convert back if they want. But to prevent the spreading of heresy on Savoyard territory, Amédée supports (and finances) the creation of an Inquisition delegation in Chambery, with prerogatives on all Savoyard provinces. I'm not sure how this will help the investments as this makes Savoy more narrow-minded, don't you think?

George: I do. But it also gives more power to the Church. You might say this will help the relations with the Pope, this will help fighting the heretics. The main advantage this gives is that when Savoy wants to go full war against infidels, and I'm thinking North Africa, no one will complain. Right now, the pope would have been upset that a rather secular country attacks other on behalf of God. Now on the contrary...

Ray: do you think it will happen? I mean: Amédée is not very violent. I will think his next move will be toward a banking system, or the navy, or....

George: I don't know. Anyway three wars are still on, and making good progress... look at the situation in February 1426

1426_2_zps1f1adc17.png

1426_2_tur_zps0d422eb3.png

Ray: This was a good time to look at the situation, as a few days later, Amédée passes away, assassinated by an Hussite. His widow fears for the life of François-Hyacinthe though, and refuses that he is crowned until an elite troop is setup to protect him against Hussite terrorists.

1426_3_zps8200df8b.png

B.: I think they found an elite troop. It took them two months, but François-Hyacinthe is ready to be crowned in July 1426, just a few days after his fifteenth birthday!

FY_zpsfb90ba82.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray: Back in studio for a state of the world report. Let's have a look at the lands under François-Hyacinthe's rule.

state_zpsf0d642cf.png

George: Little has been done in the last thirteen years by Amédée. His wars against the Hussites did not brought any new land, except that small holding in Denmark. His first crusade however - but this was initiated by his father - allowed him to grab some lands in the East, for Epirus, Bulgaria, Savoy and Trabzon.

religion_zpsba681159.png

George: He of course reduced the Hussite heresy -while it costed him his life -, but did not granted savoy any Land... This is logical because of his dumb army restructuring policies.

Ray: Well, this army size reduction was forced, because of two things. First of all, the need to spare money to invest into other fields. And this worked. Savoy is now one of the most advanced countries in the known world.

tech_zps4459635e.png

Ray: Secondary, remember what Amédée said before this round? While Savoy is doing fine overall, Savoy is doing very poor compared to what Savoy could be doing. Savoy is doing very bad in trade, and while this is not obvious, is doing very bad at production...

economics_zps6d152339.png

(HRP: I raised an eyebrown on that 0-infaltion column, but I've checked and indeed a couple nations do have inflation, but the highest one is Trier, at 3%)

George: Comm'on, you can't blame only the military for that!

Ray: Indeed. The high infamy, based on the previous conquest, slows down the Trade a lot. Amédée's stubborn attitude to refuse to trade with the Arabs did no good for the CoT of Alexandria. The huge mix of cultures, and the fact that only half of the Savoyard citizens consider the Savoy Prince as their ruler does not help...

pies_zps8f547735.png

George: But there are reasons to be optimistic though. While in Europe nothing has really changed under Amédée's reign, this is not the case in the East. The Savoy coalition is capturing the Ottomans lands, and the Mamluks have been attacked from everywhere for the last ten years...

europe_zps0129dbad.png

east_zps637592b8.png

Ray: Well, this opens a lot of possibilities for François-Hyacinthe's opening round.... Will he crush the Mamluks? Will he defend the Catholic Faith against Denmark? How will he deal with Ottomans, or with his vassals? Stay tuned, and don't miss the next episode of BIG RULER!

Last edited:
If you decide to go for the Latin/Italian route, you should detour through Sardinia-Piedmont for the extra base_tax bonuses that the decision provides. It also has a nice colour.
Alternatively you can go Occitania and then there's the horrible, unthinkable possibility after it. Either way you can get two tag changes no matter which way you go culturally.

(EDIT) And I missed the next page with an update on it. I guess I'll have to read it now.
(EDIT #2) England seems to be having some rebel troubles there. The 0% inflation stuff is because we give the AI some extra inflation reduction to compensate for the A's lack of I.

Last edited:
then there's the horrible, unthinkable possibility after it.

You mean... Austria??? :-D

England seems to be having some rebel troubles there.
Actually, not so much. England had several wars ongoing: France, Castille, Sweden, Austria, so not a lot of troops on the Island. A nationalist troop was chased away from Leinster to English Ireland, and the only revolt who actually popped in England captured all the undefended East coast, from Walles to Scotland, before being defeated by the Scottish Army when invading Scotland. Right now England brought back one army and is cleaning out.

Round X (1426 - 1437): Local business

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe and B. Rene Daid to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we are following Savoy. Last time, Amédée VIII was assassinated by a Hussite terrorist, leaving the throne to his fifteen years old son. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome François-Hyacinthe I de Savoie, Roi des Arpitans, Rei d'Aragó, Rìghrean na h-Alba, Knjaže Bălgarija, Prince de Savoie, Δεσπότης της Ηπείρου, Duc de Lorraine, Graft von Hohenzollern

1414_6_ho_zpsacb072ec.png

François-Hyacinthe: Wa'Sup' Bro'!

Ray: Fine, fine! François...

François-Hyacinthe: FH. Easier.

Ray: Fine, ... FH ... You take over the Savoy commonwealth while you are only fifteen... Are you scared?

FH: Not at all... See, my dad told me everything he knew. It's pretty simple to rule: Don't overspend, keep your people happy and your nation up-to-date, and kick the butts of all bad guys you can...

Ray: Still.. don't you think the country would stand better chances if you were older?

FH: I've been asked by my Dad to modernize Savoy. How do you want to modernize anything with old men? Place to the future! And I am the future.

George: What about the military? Do you plan on recruiting?

FH: Recruiting? Army is for old men, dude! We finish the current wars, we annex the Danish... and here we go, all these vets are going straight into history books. You don't make wars with regiments anymore. You make war with power. Vassals, Prestige, Modernity... That's all it is about.

George: But you don't know what you are doing! You are only going to make the situ
Ray: What George wants to say is that your neighbors might not be as modern as you, and try to attack you.. Anyway, you said annexing Denmark? Is this really an objective for this round?

FH: Well, not really... But no one really knew where this guy who killed my father came from... Don't you find it to be a huge coincidence that a few months before the truce ended, while Hussite Denmark was to be attacked by Savoy, an unknown Hussite killed the Savoy ruler?

Ray: Troubling, indeed. But it might be a spy from Ulm?

FH: donno. Anyway, anyone who support the Hussites will have to pay the price !

George: with the army you plan to disband?

FH: I won't disband all of it...

Ray: Well, let's see how you do!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George: I don't like that kid, he's a menace!

Ray: Now George, take it easy, he's just a kid! I'm sure his councilors will convince him to do the right things!

George: You are right...

Ray: See, Ulm is quickly coming back to the Catholic herd. And in march 1427, all of Milan is occupied.

1427_3_zpsc21a49b3.png

B.: Oh stunning! Guys! FH is doing a speech to the Milanese Senate!

FH: And so, we'll be the rulers of your land for twelve months, so you'll see who's the best ruler: a modern Prince like me, or that old guy you call Duke. See, I don't want to force anyone. You see, you make your mind... And if you're smart you join us. No problem if you don't.

George: What is he doing?

Ray: I think he just gave a year to the Lombardian provinces to voluntarily join Savoy before negotiating the peace... And this works, only a few days after this proposal, the province of Parma joins Savoy.

George: July. Castille annexes Grenada. This is how you should negotiate a peace.

Ray: This is good for Savoy because now the pope targets his efforts against the Ottomans. He calls for a crusade against them. The Savoyard armies are proud of it.

George: But the kid won't use it.

Ray: Indeed. In April 1428, FH invites the Genoan, Milanese and Ottomans rulers in Palermo, Sicily, to end the wars. Genoa and Milan have both to cede one province, while renouncing on all their Savoy-hold cores, and paying war reparations to Savoy.

1428_4_zpsf2a39f91.png

George: The Ottomans don't want to sign comparable treaty...

Ray: Indeed. It takes a few more days to convince the Turks to do the same, mostly because that province given means that Epirus now have Est-Dardannelles holdings... but they finally do sign it.

1428_4_tur_zps2ce6ec0b.png

George: I see that Savoy armies are moving toward the Danish boundaries...

Ray: This is probably why FH wanted to end up the other wars quickly...

George: Not sure why... He had way more to win in Italy than forcing Denmark back to Catholic?

Ray: Yes and no. Denmark not only tolerates Hussites, they encourage the Hussite Faith to spread, they finance assassinations... They are more trouble than Milan or the Turcs...

George: The armies stopped. What is it about?

B.: FH is meeting with the bishop of Chambery, Don Camillo, right now George.

FH: What do you mean excommunicated?

Don: Well, he was not behaving as a true Catholic, so the pope decided to excommunicate him... And he believes that should should attack him.

FH: But... We're allied, and he's fighting Serbia right now... We can't break this alliance

Don: Then do your war in Denmark, wait for Serbia to capitulate, and then... attack him

provence_zpsff787ef9.png

Ray: This would be interesting... The Pope asking Savoy to attack Provence....

George: Hard time for the kid. I don't know if his councilors will force him to honor his alliance, or on the contrary to exploit that situation and attack...

Ray: Anyway he attacks Denmark in May 1428.

George: This is going to be a very quick war, as Denmark has been struggling with religion civil wars for years...

1429_6_zpsf5cf49ef.png

Ray: This is another lost war for the Hussites...

1429_7_zps78187139.png

Ray: In the mean time, FH is going hard on the "small partners" of Savoy. In 1430, the Duke of Hainault give way to FH's style, and bow allegiance.

George: Quick war in summer 1430 against Bremen, recently converted to Hussites...

Ray: But what is he doing???

George: He annexes Bremen! I finally love that kid!

Ray: But why would he do that?

George: Well, This makes strategically no sense whatsoever...

B.: Guys! There is a fight betwen FH and Don Camillo about that...Do you want me to peek?

Ray: We sure do...

FH: And I would not tolerate a state, bordering our overseas holding, which could turn back to Hussites anytime!

Don: Be honest for once FH, you annexed it because you could, and it nearly doubled your Danish lands! His holiness strongly disagrees... I'm sorry to say that, but you'll have to attack Provence to make it even...

Ray: Well, I guess we are going to see Savoy attacking Provence

George: This would make sense. In the entire area, Provence is the only land who does not recognize Savoy's rule.

Ray: Here we go. We have the list of the members for this war. Napoli, Achaea, Hum and oh! England! joined Provence. On Savoy's side, Aragon, Epirus, Bulgaria and Scotland are called in.

George: Well... No tough fights in the early stages of the war. Both Scottish and British armies are disorganized, and provide little more than a few skirmishes, but England will prove to be the main battlefield for this war. Provence was quickly overrun by Savoy armies, so did the defending alliance holdings in Greece, Denmark and Navarra. Aragon blocks the Sicily straits, preventing Napoli's army to cross it to open a new front.... Here is the situation one year into the war, in September 31...

1431_9_zps4cc4f5f1.png

Ray: In January 1432, the Marquis de Montferrat is granted a seat into the Savoy senate. His lands are incorporated into Savoy, making it continuous to the Adriatic Sea. A few days later, FH announces a great reform...

George: What is it going to be? I would bet on the creation of a National Bank or, as we discussed it sooner, a new law against all infidels. I would try to improve the military but I doubt that's where he is going....

Ray: Indeed it's not. Surprisingly enough, FH decides to encourage naval recruitment. From now one, naval impressment is legal in Savoy and should be made a custom.

George: The war with Provence still goes slowly though. Provence itself is annexed in November. English holdings in Denmark and Navarra are quickly occupied by the alliance, which is the fate of Napoli's Greek holdings. No troop from the alliance attack Napoli, the main force provider in the English coalition, while Scotland slowly makes its way South through English land... Here is the situation in May 33, nearly 3 years into the war.

1433_5_zpsb3bf4e74.png

George: I don't understand why Savoy don't use some troops to cross the Pope's lands and attack Napoli from the North?

Ray: Probably to stay alert... Like... Look at what happens while we look at the situation. The same week, the Free City of Lubeck sends three spys to try to destabilize Savoy Danish Holdings... And center of trade of Lubeck is the wealthiest in the world....

George: That is why troops are moving North... Lubeck is allied with Hamburg and Oldenburg. That's a total of 36,000 Savoyard who are moved to the north for a winter attack, starting in September...

1433_9_zps93003091.png

George: And the defending armies are quickly defeated.

1433_10_zps706cd5a0.png

Ray: Summer 1434 brings great news to Savoy. The pope, Hungary and Croatia attacks Napoli, while France attacks England. Achaea is vassalized in August, Lubeck and its CoT annexed in November!

George: You know what Ray, that might open some new opportunities. Mostly against Napoli.

Ray: January... Hesse openly supports the Hussite heresy... attacked... converted...

George: These small wars brings some prestige to Savoy, but that's pretty much it. However, the English and Napolitan fronts are progressing... Look where we are in June 1436, after already 6 years of war. The Southern front looks very good, both in Greece and in Italy. The Hungaro-Croatian alliance progresses, creating a shield between the Napolitan forces, occuping Pontifical land, and Aragonese ones, who crossed the Sicilian straits.

1436_6_zps198b4838.png

Ray: what about the North front?

George: Well, this is even better. Scotland is going down South, while Aragon and Epirus, helped by France and Bulgaria, are seizing South of Britannia, and Calais. Savoy finally got involved, taking care of the Western holdings of England

1436_7_zps6c31883c.png

Ray: I hear that Hum is becoming a vassal. Hussite Mainz converts to the Hussite doctrine. Attacked, converted by the end of the summer. January 1437 and the Grishungs, who became an independent County after the war with Milan, becomes a vassal. In Mars 1437, Castille asks for an alliance. FH Gladly accepts... The next day, Castille declares war against England... But... WAIT A MINUTE!

George: What is it ray?

Ray: There is a war declaration against Savoy!

George: Who is dumb enough to do so?

1437_4_zps7661bdd9.png

George: Switzerland? So why are you so scared? France, I would have understood... They built back a pretty strong force there, they might be a nuisance... But Switzerland? Let me laugh....

Ray: Well... Switzerland's allies all join the war. The first one is Cyprus. The second one is.... France!

George: Arf. Though.

Ray: Well Ladies and Gentlemen, don't miss next episode of BIG RULER, as Savoy is taking a fight about England, Napoli and France, simultaneously!

I assume England has switched from Anglois, otherwise Scotland could get away with some interesting exploits. Wouldn't grabbing all that HRE territory you're grabbing in the north be considered unlawful?

Taking the fight to England? Nice stuff. Why not see if you can free Wales? Gaining all of this territory in the north is certainly unorthodox. François-Hyacinthe must have some odd ambitions.

I wonder what's going on if Switzerland are attacking. I'm looking forward to seeing how the war goes.

I assume England has switched from Anglois, otherwise Scotland could get away with some interesting exploits.

Indeed. Here is the situation in 1438. No Anglois left. Scotland is very slowly regaining its own cores.
culture_zps53879ec3.png

Gaining all of this territory in the north is certainly unorthodox. François-Hyacinthe must have some odd ambitions.
Wouldn't grabbing all that HRE territory you're grabbing in the north be considered unlawful?

The annexation of Lubeck was worth it, as it is a rich CoT. Bremen on the other hand was stupid to annex. I was able to afford it, as my councelors are helping a lot with Infamy reduction, but these unlawful territories are a pain, as they now equal my infamy reduction, so my infamy is stable, 6 points under the limit.... However, needless to say there will be very limited infamy gain... I am waiting for my unions to capture the land they can because I'm not going to give them any this time :(

Should these territories be considered "illegal" for my home rules? No because it is an oversea territory linked to a core (Holstein).

Taking the fight to England? Nice stuff. Why not see if you can free Wales?

This is probably the path I'll take (Liberate potential vassals), as there is no way, moreover against England as I'm attacker, to afford the infamy.

I wonder what's going on if Switzerland are attacking. I'm looking forward to seeing how the war goes.

Switzerland itself should not be an issue (Lorraine + Alsace) should take care of it quickly. I don't care about Cyprus, but France is going to be a pain, as they have around 100k troops

Round XI (1437 - 1447): After the rain comes the sun

r2_0_ban.png

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe and B. Rene Daid to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we are following Savoy. Last time, François-Hyacinthe -aka FH- took over his father throne, and avenged his death, winning another war of Heresy against Denmark. He then went to annex Excommunicated Provence, which created a war with Napoli and England, and while we were about to end this round, Switzerland and France attacked Savoy! Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome FH I de Savoie, Roi des Arpitans, Rei d'Aragó, Rìghrean na h-Alba, Knjaže Bălgarija, Prince de Savoie, Δεσπότης της Ηπείρου, Duc de Lorraine, Graft von Hohenzollern

r8_5.png

FH: I'd prefer that you call me François-Hyacinthe.

Ray: But last time...

François-Hyacinthe: Last time I was 15. I now am 26 and ask you to respect me.

Ray: Right, right.... François-Hyacinthe, you now are involved in wars against three powers: France, Napoli and England. What are your plans?

François-Hyacinthe: Well... Let's talk about England and Napoli first, as they are the two older wars. We are in control here, of both wars
George: In Napoli, Hungary is controlling the land, not you
François-Hyacinthe: Does not really matter. The land is under control. We would like both of these fronts to be peaced out quickly, so we could focus on the war with France.

George: I don't understand... Savoy is not really fighting, may it be in England or in Italy... Your vassals are.

François-Hyacinthe: Indeed, but the war in England made a lots of victims already, mostly Scottish ones. The Scottish Senate is asking me to bring peace to Scotland as soon as I can.

George: So you are going to leave with no territorial gain?

François-Hyacinthe: Well, we cannot afford any, anyway. We will wait. Scotland should be able to recover its legitimate provinces, and Epirus to seize Napoli holdings in Greece. England also have overseas provinces in Navarra - under Aragonese control - and Denmark - a province that we control. If such provinces revolt and join us, we will accept them.

Ray: So we should expect a quick peace with the English-Napolitan alliance, with no more territory gain than revolted provinces... What about France?

François-Hyacinthe: Well, France is another client... Right now, France force is about 120,000 men. They built a very offensive army, to expand against England, in the netherlands, and be able to push us back. So far, we are no match...

George: What do you mean? With all your vassals and unions....

François-Hyacinthe: They are spread out and we need strong coordination to match the 20-regiments stacks used by France. I've already ordered that all Savoyard armies, even the ones in Denmark, Egypte or Palestine, will be brought back to Montpellier. And we are recruiting as many men as we can right now, as we expect huge losses in the first months of the war.

Ray: So you expect a long war?

François-Hyacinthe: Indeed. Last time France fought us, they spread out their armies along the Border, and were defeated by a few armies. Right now, they are doing the opposite: Due to our vassals and unions being spread out, they stay in few but massive stacks and -from what my spies told me- plan to clear our armies one after the other. We will have to accept huge losses, to slow down their progress and wait for reinforcements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George: The situation is indeed tricky. Under Amédée VII then François-Hyacinthe, Savoy's army has been decimated. Moreover, France investments in war techniques has paid off. Savoy still is more advanced, but France is not that far.

Ray: The funny thing -if I may say- about this war is that France and Savoy are both fighting England, but are also fighting one each other...

George: This is true. Some English towns were besieged by joints Epirus-France armies, or by joint Aragon-France armies. As soon as the war started, besieged English defenders were able to see their attacking armies fighting one each other...

Ray: Must have been a joy for them...

George: Yes. Too bad for them, France armies were quickly overrun, and the sieges were still on... Anyway, the main battles in France are starting already. As expected, they are huge, and no one can predict the winner, as both sides are winning some...

r11_2.png

Ray: This is huge! Look at that battle in Angoulème! Nearly 90,000 men fought here! And more than 50,000 were killed, injured or captured!

George: This is the biggest battle in history so far. The Savoyard general leading the entire Savoy army died the day before the involvement.... This is a huge blow for Savoy.

Ray: It is. Can you tell us more about the strategy used?

George: Indeed. The two strategies are similar. Both France and Savoy have a small opponent in their back: Hainaut for France, Switzerland for Savoy. So a big army of each nation went to clear out that small opponent, while the rest of the armies focus on South-West France.

Ray: Why that?

George: France attacked first, and here. They needed to control Armagnac, Savoy's most powerful vassal, while connecting to their holdings and vassals in the Pyrenees. Their idea was probably to create a defending line in the Pyrenees, and wait for both Savoy (from the North) and Castille-Aragon (from the South).

Ray: But this is not what happened?

George: Indeed it was not. While taking huge losses, Savoy managed to keep France armies far from the Pyrenees, allowing the Spanish and Armagnac to organize. This is what happened in Angoulème: a first 12,000 men army attacked that 20-regiment stacks. A total of 5 other Savoyard armies slowly reinforced them, but Savoy never had the upper hand in numbers.

Ray: I see. But aren't they Pyrrhus victories?

George: They are not. Pyrrhus won an offensive battle with huge losses, while here the aim is to protect Savoy's territory, to give Savoy time to reorganize...

Ray: We'll see if it works... In the first weeks of the war, two bad news reach Chambery: France and England signed a truce, and the pope awards Castille the title of Defender of the faith.

George: Savoy has too much to do anyway...

Ray: Sure, but at the same time, the pope considers that Savoy's legitimacy on Jerusalem is no longer valid... And Oldenburg converts to Hussite, without any fear of being attacked by anyone!

George: This is something François-Hyacinthe will have to take care of... later... Oh, I told you that counter-offensive in South-west was worth it. In the summer of the year 1438, Savoy is collecting victories, both in France and Switzerland!

r11_3.png

Ray: But how long will it last?

George: Not long I'm afraid. While Savoy tried to enter France territory, their armies are pushed back. By the end of winter 38-39, the front is undecided again...

r11_4.png

Ray: It looks like France is taking the advantage, isn't?

George: It sure does. Savoy's alliance is progressing nicely, but strong French armies are besieging Nevers and Limoges. But what matters is the undecided aspect of the front. Here is a map with the front-line, as well as major battles, some were won by Savoy (in green), other by France (in Red). Spanish and Armagnac moves are in yellow.

r11_5.png

Ray: This indeed is localized South-West of France... Does this map include the French counter-offensive of May 1438?

George: It does.

r11_6.png

Ray: This should not be very satisfying for the Savoyard senate....

George: This should not. Fortunately, the situation in England and Italy looks good.

r11_7.png

r11_8.png

Ray: Too bad the alliance made of the pope, Hungary and Croatia withdraw from the Napolitan war... The pope captures some land though... and Cyprus does not want to fight Savoy anymore.

George: In July 1438, Savoy tries to open a second front, from Flandres. Here 24,000 men are trying to make a junction between Hainaut and Savoy. French resistance is higher than expected though.

r11_9.png

Ray: Can we consider this break as a failure?

George: From a purely numbers perspective, yes. However, it freed Hainaut from French occupation, connected the two fronts, and allowed for a Savoyard army to besiege Paris, France's capital. Facing such changes, some South-West French armies are retreating, which allows for a stabilization of the front.

Ray: This is good.... I can see that France holdings in Zadar and North Africa also are under siege?

George: Yes. The war with France is going smoothly, with Alsace-Lorraine occupying Switzerland. However, the situation in England is not progressing that much. In a last chance, a last English army pushed the attacking armies away from several fortress, while the Hungarian retreat in Italy allowed Napoli to reorganize and push the Aragonese army back to Sicily. Here is the situation in September.

r11_10.png

Ray: This is not good. In January 1439, some military adviser estimates than Savoy and its partners already saw 100,000 of their men being killed in the three wars. Savoy itself probably lost 70,000 men already. The war with England and Napoli started more than 8 years ago already...

George: And I'm not sure how they could ever progress in England and Italy. Scotland and Epirus recovered their cores already. England possessions in Denmark, Navarra and the Isle of Man revolted as well...

Ray: This is why François-Hyacinthe thinks it is time for a Peace. He has called the Kings of France, England and Napoli to meet him in Paris. The Holy Roman Emperor, King of Bohemia, is also invited, as well as the Pope, and the ruler of Switzerland..... They all have small signs in front of them, with their names and flags... This is nice.

Savoy : We are winning this war, but we suffered huge losses, so my terms will be clear. Take it or leave it. All provinces who revolted during this war will be kept by their respective rulers: Savoy, Aragon, Epirus, and Scotland. Moreover, all of you will have to renounce on the lands you consider yours but are owned by Savoy's alliance, and pay us war reparations. Moreover, France will give us Berry. This is something the Savoyard Senate has been asking for about 30 years now.

Napoli: I am fine with these conditions.

Switzerland: Me too.

England : I am not. The island of Man revolted to you, and I can't tolerate a Savoyard harbor so close to my territorial waters.

Savoy: Then the Island should be offered to Scotland. Or we can return you Man, but in return we expect Cornwall and Wales to be freed.

England: OK, Give Man to Scotland.

France: I will have to disagree. Land AND war reparations? The other only had to pay war reparations! We will not give you our land!

Savoy: You will give us Berry. And only pay us half of the war reparations.

France: Fine. If it is OK with the Pope...

Pope: This is not. This is just too much territorial gain for you, François-Hyacinthe. I will have to ask everyone to attack you.

Savoy: We can probably manage that, giving lands to a couple of vassals... What about Corsica?

Bohemia: I would rather that you liberate someone from the Empire.

Savoy: I am not going to do that. Not unless both of you crown me Emperor. I want to be called "Empereur de Savoie et des Arpitans".

Bohemia: No way. You are only a Prince, not even a King. And you need your entire nation to be prepared for an Empire... This is not small talks.

Savoy: Then let's say I liberate Bremen as a vassal, and you crown me King. And to prepare for my new crown, we will adopt imperial administration.

Ray: I think we are going to have a peace here. We are in January 1439, and the peace treaty of Paris is signed.

r11_11.png

r11_12.png

Ray: So François-Hyacinthe had to liberate Bremen, and as expected, the small nation quickly converts back to Hussite. Anyway, the Savoyard Senates asks for a new vassal. The small county of Hoya.

George: They ask for a war while the nation is begging for peace? I'm not a pacifist, but this is though....

Ray: Well, Hoya could be vassalized pacifically. Some alliance, some niece given to marry the old Count.... And here we go, slightly more than a year later, Hoya gladly accepts, as soon as François-Hyacinthe suggests it!

r11_13.png

Ray: The new request from the Senate is to convert Alexandria, which should take time....

George: But this is war time only a few weeks later...

Ray: Indeed. The edit of Mende forces every single Hussite on Savoy's territory to convert back to the Catholic Faith. This is seen as an ultimatum for the Hussite community.

George: "Convert back of I kill you" kinda is an ultimatum.... But a good one. Anyway, about 70,000 Hussites take up arms in a total of 36 provinces...

r11_14.png

Ray: This is going to be a huge civil war!

George: Not really. Excepted groups of 12,000 in Dijon and Gap, most of these Hussite rebels are just a few hundred farmers... By October the situation is back to normal.

r11_15.png

Ray: The efforts continue to restore the army size, and modernize the country.

George: In 1442, a new weapon named "cannon" is invented by the Savoyard army. This should help a lot with the sieges...

Ray: Anyway, no one is attacked right now, despite a few boundary frictions or discovered spies. François-Hyacinthe tries to give independence to Jerusalem, as Savoy is not seen as legitimate to keep it anymore, but his influence toward the Pope is not good enough. In November 1442, Bologna is annexed.

George: Not a lot of action... Oh, wait... in 1444, The Ottomans are attacking the Malta order again! The defender of the Catholic faith is Castille, an ally of Savoy! We are going to war....

Ray: Except that... we are not. Castille decides to let the Knights face the Ottomans by themselves.

George: What a poor defender of the faith! Can't Savoy claim that title back?

Ray: They sure could. The pope asks for 500 ecus to grand them the title though, and Savoy is not willing to pay that.

George: So, we are going to end that round like that? With more than 7 years of peace?

Ray: Yes George, we are.... but Savoy armies are strong again... and people start to forget about the illegal annexations Savoy did a few years ago... I am sure next round, we will see a lot of action. Thanks folks for following us... and don't miss the next episode of BIG RULER!

Last edited:
Very nicely played - it seems the war worked out in your favour after all.

Great to see Scotland is its normal shape - I imagine having large vassals/PU partners will be helpful for future 'liberation projects' ;)

Looking forward to the next update.

So many unions ... your coat of arms looks like a patchwork quilt now. But I figure that by this point you're essentially the strongest country in Europe, right?

According to your rules for allocating territory, wouldn't you have to release any non-HRE unions you inherited as vassals? Unless MEIOU changes the way in which you get cores when inheriting. In addition, what would happen if you needed to release some territory as a vassal, but some of that territory which has your prospective vassal's cores also has Savoyard cores? Again, unless MEIOU gave you some way of removing those cores other than the "Promote Cultural Unity" decision in vanilla.

Questions like these are the reasons why I often avoid AARs that use major overhaul mods (e.g. MEIOU, Magna Mundi, V2's Pop Demand Mod, and quite a few CK2 mods too...) as I often feel the need to badger the AAR writer about what changes have or have not been made in the mod. I tend to draw the line at about D&T levels of complexity. But the coat of arms drew me in, so I'm here to stay.

And on a side note, I'm inclined to question your decision to use Hohenzollern as the chief to the quarter containing Epirus, Bulgaria, and Lorraine, as it gives unnecessary significance to Hohenzollern (unless you are von Hohenzollern, which you're clearly not in this case). My personal preference would be to internally quarter the four minor arms, if you want to maintain the special importance of Scotland and Aragon, or to arrange all the arms 'Quarterly of six' ('quarter' in this case refers to a division of area rather than one fourth), with Scotland and Aragon in chief, and the escutcheon of Savoy overall. If that sounds too ostentatious, just take your most important arms (Scotland, Aragon, Bulgaria, and Epirus) quartered and Savoy overall.

Very nicely played - it seems the war worked out in your favour after all.

After the first months of the war (with so many battles), the situation paused a bit. France sieged (and occupied) Nevers, Limoges and Belac (the Armagnac province) while Savoy + vassals + Aragon to spread and occupy a nice strip of land. France reinforcements were wiped out 1 regiment after the other, then in September 38 when France had to retreat to break the siege of Paris, they were in a pretty bad shape -from a military perspective. I think that two things have been war changers here:
1- The huge sacrifice of Savoy at the beginning of the war, to prevent France's expansion South-West, while giving time to all minors partners of Savoy to deploy
2- Unexpectedly, Savoy's overload in Northern France, which forced France to redeploy

Still, while this war finally turned nicely, I can't be pleased with this war as I did way too many mistakes: battles without a general, retreats in insecure locations, useless army chases... But as I said in the intro of this AAR, I'm far from being the best EU3 player, so let's just not highlight this in the AAR :p

Great to see Scotland is its normal shape - I imagine having large vassals/PU partners will be helpful for future 'liberation projects' ;)

Scotland looks good now, this pleases me! While Scotland was involved in the Hundred Years War before being Union of Savoy, they had been pushed back to Antonine's Wall. My objectives for Scotland during this war was to see them going down to Hadrian's wall, to recover their cores. With the war with France going on, I paid less attention than I should to the English front, and it appears that Scotland did as well captured Northumberland. The England-Scotland boundary looked weird though, so I included Cumberland in the peace treaty.

Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks !

So many unions ... your coat of arms looks like a patchwork quilt now. But I figure that by this point you're essentially the strongest country in Europe, right?

From both Economics and Military perspectives, I am. Aragon and Epirus are not that far, so the three of us are pretty strong. But as we saw, France can still be a problem, I'm glad I'm allied to Castille instead of fighting it, and (I will put some screenshots of that area soon) in the East, Hungary, Muscovy, the Teutonic Order and Poland will be trouble.

According to your rules for allocating territory, wouldn't you have to release any non-HRE unions you inherited as vassals? Unless MEIOU changes the way in which you get cores when inheriting. In addition, what would happen if you needed to release some territory as a vassal, but some of that territory which has your prospective vassal's cores also has Savoyard cores? Again, unless MEIOU gave you some way of removing those cores other than the "Promote Cultural Unity" decision in vanilla.

I'll have to figure that out when that happens. And it will depends on who gets it.
-Lorraine: Probably the easier. HRE so I'll get cores, attached to the mainland: I'm looking for it.
-Hohenzollern: trouble. I'll get the cores but this probably will generate an enclave... Let's hope I'll get some "Get core on Wurtemberg" mission by then...
-Aragon: I should get cores on some of their lands as only half of Aragon has switched to Castillan culture group. The Aragonese culture group should grant me cores. Anyway, the non-cores would be attached to my mainland so no issue. I'll figure out what to do with Baleares and Sicily when the times come...
-Scotland, Epirus: trouble. They are big, so I'll have to see what Savoy looks like when/if I inherit, as right now they might trigger the Over-extension modifier, which would be problematic. We'll figure that out when this issue comes along. I admit I prefer not to bother yet...
-Bulgaria: Probably the easiest one. Assuming I haven't inherited Epirus, the Bulgarian provinces should probably just be given to my Greek partner :sleep:

Questions like these are the reasons why I often avoid AARs that use major overhaul mods (e.g. MEIOU, Magna Mundi, V2's Pop Demand Mod, and quite a few CK2 mods too...) as I often feel the need to badger the AAR writer about what changes have or have not been made in the mod. I tend to draw the line at about D&T levels of complexity. But the coat of arms drew me in, so I'm here to stay.

This is (partially) why I tried not to focus too much on the IG mechanisms in this AAR. Overall, I feel that the mechanism differences between MEIOU and vanilla DW are not that big, at least, in terms of "what is worth telling in an AAR". The main differences that I've used in this game -and that I mentioned- are:
1- Titles game: Asking (or waiting for) promotions from Count to Emperor instead of simply being King or Duke (vassal)
2- War Dynamism: A Province occupied for a very long time during a war can "switch owner"
3- Vassals not implied in a war would send troops (1 regiment in the capital) and recruits (+manpower, manpower limits).
4- Defender of the Faith can get a (temporary) core on Jerusalem

Otherwise, there is a lot of enhancements and what I could call "micro-management": events concerning one province only, which is not worth telling in an AAR.

And on a side note, I'm inclined to question your decision to use Hohenzollern as the chief to the quarter containing Epirus, Bulgaria, and Lorraine, as it gives unnecessary significance to Hohenzollern (unless you are von Hohenzollern, which you're clearly not in this case). My personal preference would be to internally quarter the four minor arms, if you want to maintain the special importance of Scotland and Aragon, or to arrange all the arms 'Quarterly of six' ('quarter' in this case refers to a division of area rather than one fourth), with Scotland and Aragon in chief, and the escutcheon of Savoy overall. If that sounds too ostentatious, just take your most important arms (Scotland, Aragon, Bulgaria, and Epirus) quartered and Savoy overall.

Well, I guess there are several heraldic schools of thoughts. I think that as long as you can, you should only enhance existing arms, without reshaping everything. This is what Spain followed. I then try not to redraw anything. Here, the easiest way to incorporate Hohenzollern, as it was the smallest of the unions both in titles (Count only) and seize/power was to put it with the Epirus-Bulgaria-Lorraine quartet, in Chief or in Point. Since it had a square geometry, I chose to do it in chief. I'll probably have to redraw the arms at the next inheritance though. I hope to inherit Lorraine so I could give Epirus a bigger size in Quarter 2, while Bulgaria+Hohenzollern might be a Party (per Fess?) in Quarter 3... We'll see...

France got a right royal kicking plus Scotland and Epirus look to have nice borders. I'll be watching extra closely to see how the Hussites pan out and whether your religious purge works since both mechanics might not be working right. Are you using my hotfixes because I adjusted the Jerusalem core issue fairly recently so it should be kept if you lose DotF but own the province. And unless you've modded the cultures, you shouldn't get any cores when Aragon inherits since Catalan is in the Neapolitan group (so Aragon can inherit Sicily and Naples properly).
I'll cover some of what aniuby asked too since I'm in a pretty good position to know about such matters. There are no changes to coring on inheritance since it's mostly a hard-coded thing (although I have given thought to a way of giving cores to non-culture non-HRE inheritances). We don't even have the Promote Cultural Unity decision so there's practically no way to remove cores apart from peace deals plus they last 300 years for non-culture ones. If you have any other questions feel free to 'badger' the AAR reader about them rather than the writer.

Some western aragon land (the aragon province itself for instance) is not catalan yet, so I might get core on that if I inherit quickly. I'll get a culture map of Aragon tonight but anyway by the time I inherit I don't think there will be much to core...

The Hussite purge did not seem to work properly, as it generated the three Hussite provinces you can see in Montferrat, Champagne and Gap, but it might be the design: it would seem logical that persecuted Hussites would tend to "group", so instead of fighting minor sects all over the nation, I only fight two big ones... dunno. Hussites still spread quickly, even with the persecutions, as long as at least one nation is officially Hussite.

I am not using your hotfixes (shame on me), therefore the loss of Jerusalem. It is a pain but we can understand a certain logic: Once liberated, Jerusalem is not seen only as a holy land, but as well as a bastion to Catholics... It would have been better if the core was only lost if the new DoF claims it for himself but it doesn't really matter since it is fixed in a new version. The only thing that bother me is when I got a message saying that one of my subjects feel bad about me not visiting, and... I don't know which one. But maybe this is fixed as well so I might just install the hotfixes at the end of round XII and/or try myself to modding, including a new event to get that core back...

This is (partially) why I tried not to focus too much on the IG mechanisms in this AAR. Overall, I feel that the mechanism differences between MEIOU and vanilla DW are not that big, at least, in terms of "what is worth telling in an AAR". The main differences that I've used in this game -and that I mentioned- are:
1- Titles game: Asking (or waiting for) promotions from Count to Emperor instead of simply being King or Duke (vassal)
2- War Dynamism: A Province occupied for a very long time during a war can "switch owner"
3- Vassals not implied in a war would send troops (1 regiment in the capital) and recruits (+manpower, manpower limits).
4- Defender of the Faith can get a (temporary) core on Jerusalem

And
5- NI can obly be taken if correlated with the sliders.
This is why I could afford to create/support inquisition, while it gives a -1 against innovative: because it also gives a +1 toward theocracy, which makes savoy +2 on theocracy, a pre-requisite to take "Unam Sanctum".
Then:
No inquisition: 1 slider move toward Theocracy
Inquisition: 1 auto move toward Theocracy, (-1 auto move + 1 slider move = 0) toward Innovative
Both options were similar in terms of slider moves, I just got the inquisition benefits for free...

OK, About Aragon culture:

Aragon itself and Terruel still appear Blue and Aragonese, but this is the Iberian group - not the Lenga d'Oc.

The only Aragon province I could get core on if I inherit is Xiberoa... :(

I'm taking the screenshots for the 1-century special.
Is there any region you would like to see? Or any particular point (religion, economy, culture...) ?

Spoiler: I'm not sure how spoiled I was before I force convert the Hussites, and/or how strongly they came back, but I only have 4 or 5 catholic provinces without them in the entire Empire (Savoie+Scotland+Aragon+vassals....)

I guys,

as I was going to post Round XII, I've just heard of this photobucket bandwidth limitation, which causes all my images to turn white.
I'm sorry about that.

I will upload round XII tonight using another provider, and slowly move all pictures away from photobucket to prevent this incident, and allow potential new readers to read this. I expect all of that to be done by sunday.

It happens to everyone writing an AAR for the first time...

If you predict that this AAR will go on for some time yet, my recommendation would be to just pay Photobucket the US$30 (it was somewhere >£25 for me) for a year's subscription. The bandwith problem won't recur, and Photobucket's a pretty nice and user-friendly host overall, so it will save on all the reorganisation you'll have to do.