• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(717611)

First Lieutenant
3 Badges
Mar 25, 2013
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
bannARA.png

Ray: Good Evening everyone! Welcome to the kick-off of BIG RULER Season 2: Aragon. I am Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe to make you live this event.

George: Good Evening Ray.

Ray: First of all, a few precision. YES, Season 1 of Big Ruler will continue, until its end in 1856. We went a long way from the Comté de Savoie, to the Heilige Römische Reich, and there is still more to come. In season 1, the rulers of Savoy are also Kings of Aragon since 1408, and with Aragon doing a tremendous work in the Americas, Aragon has a center place in the world domination of Italy then the HRE, so season 2 will be a tribute to its role in season 1.

George: This is true. Then, a Big Ruler featuring Aragon should be way too easy... Are we going to world domination?

Ray: Well, when we announced Season 2 back in July, we didn't know yet which reality alternator we would use. In Season 1, we used the EU3DW5.1 - MEIOU5.5 simulator. This is the one we are using in the French version of Big Ruler. But a new simulator, named EU4, is on the market.

George: How is it related to Aragon?

Ray: Well, choosing the new simulator might be tricky, so we would have needed an easier start. On the other hand, how to give the old simulator the farewell it deserves? Giving it a real chance of world conquest, something we won't see in season 1, is one.

George: Still... I have the feeling it is going to be too easy...

Ray: This is why we will control the Senate to add new house rules to the existing ones, respected in Season 1.

George: The ruler is in charge, not the simulator; all missions given by the senate should be honored -excepted if there is a good reason not to; no wars should be started without a good reason; truces and alliances should be honored... what else?

Ray: Exploration should only be started if another nation has at least one viable colony, or if no territory gain has been seen in the last 10-years round. The new rules concern the "Minimum Illicit occupation of lands" chapter we used to had.

George: The first rule of the "Minimum Illicit occupation of lands" state that all lands should be directly connected to the capital.

Ray: This rule will still be effective. Moreover, this area is also the only one where vassals, or claims on foreign thrones, could be added.

George: Isn't it too restrictive?

Ray: It is. This is why we will use a second, additional rule. Aragon is a naval nation. Therefore, it is legit to gain new lands, vassals or unions on littorals.

George: This... has major flaws. First of all, the number of purely littoral nations is limited, so new vassals or unions are impossible to get... With these rules, Aragon will never recover its cores on Forcalquier, and it will create enclaves or near-enclaves everywhere.

Ray: Well, to become a vassal or union, a nation does not need to be purely littoral. England or Portugal are not purely littoral for instance, but still qualify as littoral nations. Austria, Serbia or Novgorod on the other hand, do not qualify. As for the cores and the near-enclaves, these are two of the exceptions where Aragon will be allowed to annex non-littoral provinces non-connected to its mainland. But there are others:
  • Full annexation of a littoral nation
  • Full annexation of an enemy, as part of a defensive war
  • Conquest or Vassalage mission given by the Senate, or corresponding to huge strategical interest, Jerusalem or a center of trade for instance.
I would add that these rules also extend to colonization.

George: This seems challenging. I hope we'll have some fun!

List of Rulers

Pere IV d'Aragó "el General'Joan I d'Aragó, son of the previousFerran I d'Aragó, son of the previous
  • Round V (1383-13XX)
Ferran II d'Aragó, son of the previous

Chronology of the arms of the Rulers of Aragon
XIVth Century
Rei d'Aragó, Kung av Sverige (1368), King of England (1371), Rìghrean na h-Alba (1372)
initial.png

swede.png

EU3_8b.png

EU3_21b.png

Last edited:
Ah! A fresh start! Can you promise this one won't get too global? :p

I await the AAR itself with interest.

I can't promise anything :)
I am a little worried that this "littoral or mainland only" rule might be bothering me after 10-15 rounds when a bunch of muslims will DOW me without any way for me to arm them... However at Pere IV's death (where I stopped playing right now) I still only have lands in the Mediterranean sea, and only one PU going... We'll see how it goes, but it should not become too large... Progress in Persia, Balkans, Africa, Scandinavia, Siberia, in the British Islands or against the Hordes will be limited for a while... I'll probably have to dismantle the HRE and form Spain BEFORE doing any other expansion than Spain+France+Colonies in the Mediterranean sea... Then I expect the first century to be tough, large nations to form in Europe during the second one... This extra rule actually makes everything more challenging..

Round I (1356-1366): Base our strength on our fleet

bannARA.png

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to this Season Premiere of "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we will follow Aragon, starting January 10, 1356 with Rei Pere IV d'Aragó.

initial.png

George: Good Evening Ray.

Ray: George, Aragon initial situation is strong, moreover with its Sicily vassal, who has holdings in Greece. It has a large navy, and a center of trade, so it is in a very nice starting position. But with Castille and France as neighbors, its expansion is limited...

George: You forgot the "coastal provinces" rule... Aragon has a powerful navy, and in the early rounds, between the reconquista in South of Spain, and the offensive of the Ottomans in Europe, Aragon will have the opportunities to do more than just recovering its cores in Sardinia, Corsica and Provence. With Pere IV being a "tough leader", I am sure we will see a lot of action in these early rounds.

Ray: I am sure. And with France stuck in the 100 years war, doesn't it offer a possibility of expansion North?

George: If France looses, yes. Otherwise there will be plenty of time to expand in France...

Ray: Let's see if you are right. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Pere IV d'Aragó!

Pere: Good Evening Ray.

Ray: Pere... A lot of opportunities for you for this round... Which line would you follow? Try to unite Spain, invade France, recover your cores, fight holy wars... ?

Pere: Well... The senate asked me to get involved in a royal marriage with Portugal. I think the early years of this round, I'll have to keep quiet, forge alliances, royal marriages. There are a lot of dynasties with a lack of heir, and if we can be recognized as potential heir, this is a nice way to reinforce our strength. We have to be seen as legitimate and peaceful, so I don't plan anything else than recovering our cores. If we follow this strategy, smaller nations might want to become our vassals...

Ray: This is... not what we thought you would do. Aren't you interested in pushing the Muslims away from Europe?

Pere: I am. May it be Granada or the Ottomans. But to face the Ottomans, we would need a stronger military. We need time, both to build armies and fleets, and to secure alliances and vassals to fight them. But as soon as we are strong enough, they will pay for their crimes.

Ray: Well, Thanks Pere. And Good Luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George: I am not sure about his strategy... As we saw in season 1, the infamy is the main problem. But it is not in round I, as everyone is supposed to be nice and all... And the most infamy you burn in the early rounds, the less you'll have to burn later!

Ray: But it might make sense... Imagine that thanks to this policy, Aragon inherits France, England, Portugal or Naples in the first rounds, as Pere seems to wish... It will boost Aragon's power, at nearly no infamy cost.

George: This is the only reason why I am not screaming everywhere that this guy is doomed !

Ray: ... well ... let's play. In the first weeks of 1356, Castille offers Aragon an alliance, and Portugal accepts the Aragonese offer for a royal marriage. The senate asks for a new mission: to recover Sardinia, which Aragon already controls, if we except the Aristanis area.

George: Well, Castille is quickly calling for help against Granada, and with the large peasants revolts that occurred in Aragon when Pere ordered more centralization, I am not sure Sardinia will be attacked soon.

Ray: War is declared in August, but should not last long.

12.png

George: Sardinia will not last long. The war, I am not sure. Quickly, Naples support Sardinia. Then Provence, Poland, Halych-Volhyna, and Plock... Here is the situation in October. Even if most enemies are landlocked, this might be tricky.

18.png

Ray: This is why Pere negotiates with France, so its troops can reach Provence quickly.

George: This will open a second front, while Sardinia is annexed in April 1357. The senate now asks Pere to annex Sicily, its own vassal.

Ray: Not sure Pere will want to do that. He'll have to defend Sicily with his own troops, which is not good. meanwhile, in summer, Provence is entirely occupied and a second front is open at the Naples-Pope border, while relations with the pope are growing, and Milan joins the Aragonese alliance.

25.png

George: With Sicilian resistance, and the new front North, Naples is forced to a peace in November, simply renouncing to a few Southern cores

26.png

Ray: As soon as the peace is signed between Castille and Grenada in April 1358, Pere declares a new war on Genoa, as he wants Corsica to be reunified with Aragon. Ottomans-occupied Roman Empire, distant Georgia, and Switzerland join the war.

George: Switzerland is the only one with tough troops. Genoa and Georgia are engaged on the Black Sea against the Hordes, then the Switzerland-Milan front will decide the fate of this war, while the Aragonese navy is having its first engagements.

32.png

Ray: Other battles will follow, with Genes losing a total of 14 ships. During the first six months of 1360, Switzerland ang Georgia withdraw from the war. And a few days before the Roman Empire is annexed by the Ottomans, Aragon win another battle against Genoa, destroying its fleet and landing troops on Genoa holdings in Greece.

37.png

George: This basically dooms Genoa, and they know it. They buy Milan out of the war in August, but in December, there is little chance for Genoa to win. Their holdings in the black sea are under siege, may it be by rebels, or the Aragonese alliance.

42.png

Ray: In these conditions, Pere terms are hard, and you will be pleased with them, George. In addition to Corsica, Genoa will renounce to its Sardinian cores, and give away its Greek islands, and half its Italian land.

44.png

George: Genoa now is made of Genoa itself, plus some Ottomans and Hordes baits around the Black Sea... This will be hard for them to recover.

Ray: Moreover, the prestige Aragon got from this war now places it in an ideal position to peacefully grab some vassals. 1361 is the year for that: Achaia, leading the union with Arbanon, goes first, in January. Albania in march, Hum in July. Meanwhile, in June, Karl VIII of Sweden dies with no heir... Pere IV is recognized by the Swedish senate as their new king.

swede.png

George: This is probably the only vassals Pere will be able to grab, as in January 1362, the Ottomans are going to war against the Knights. Aragon, as a protector of the Knights, takes the lead of the defensive alliance. Big boys like Venice, Castille, England, Epirus, Genoa and of course Sicily and Sweden also join.

Ray: The Ottomans only have the Tunisian Hafsids on their side...

George: Something that Pere will exploit. He takes 15,000 men with him and land in Tripoli

57.png

Ray: What about the navy?

George: After destroying a small 7-ships enemy fleet, the Aragonese navy will occupy the sea of Maramara, destroying another 10 ships on its way.

61.png

Ray: The Ottomans navy is slightly smaller, this is why they don't attack?

George: The two navies were about the same size, but with 17 lost ships in the Sicilian straits or in the Aegean sea, now the Aragonese fleet is slightly larger. This is enough to block the straits, and with all the Greek nations in the alliance, the Ottomans armies in Europe are if not pushed back, at least slowed down.

63.png

Ray: But it will take a lot of time before the Ottomans actually suffer a loss?

George: Yes of course. Which is not the case of Hafsid. Here is the situation in August 1362.

67.png

Ray: This goes slowly indeed, and with the Ottomans armies finally kicked out of Europe, time is on the European side. On September 63 Hafsid then the Ottomans are given peace terms by Pere, leading to new coastal conquests by Aragon.

73.png

George: Yes. This will build Pere a bad reputation, but he can afford it. In October 63, Castille attacks Grenada again. Fez joins the defense, and Aragon si called in November. Pere anticipated though and already had his armies moved to the Grenada borders, or embarked on ships to land in Algeria.

Ray: A few small Granada fleets are caught by the Aragon fleet, losing 18, while a troop lands on Algiers.

George: And after the fall of Almeria after a year of siege, Pere IV crosses the straits to land on Sabta, where the Swedish army is fighting Fez

82.png

Ray: 1365 looks like a bad year for the muslim fleet.

George: Indeed. 12 ships sunked in March, 4 other in June, 2 more in October... this makes a total of 36 sunk ships in two years. But the army is also making good progresses, pushing the enemy back in Algiers and el Rif.

Ray: In December 65, tired by two years of fight and affraid of the Aragon army, Tlemcen and Tuareg leaders sign white peaces with Castille.

George: Tuaregs are not that tired. They now attack Fez. With its army now in a terrible shape, Castille, Aragon, Sweden, Achaea, Albania, Hum and Sicily are now joined by Mali, the Canaries, Tuaregs, Hejaz, Tripoli, Norway and Bremen against the Moroccan sultanate.

Ray: This looks hard for Fez indeed. I am sure they will try to opt out of this war as soon as they can.

George: Indeed. This is why Pere prefers negotiate its own treaty first, even if its vassals and Sweden stay engaged besides Castille. The treaty of Algiers is signed in February 1366, ending this round.

94.png

Ray: Aragon captures new coastal lands, both sides of the Gulf of Almeria. But isn't it too much infamy-wise?

George: It might. But lately Aragon gained cheap holy war casus belli against Granada, Fez, the Ottomans, Hafsid and Tripoli. This might be the key for future, cheap and fast expansion against the Muslims.

EU3_MAP_ARA_final.png

Ray: We will see George... And this is why you should not miss the next episode of BIG RULER!

Last edited:
What's going on with Sweden in that last map? Did you secure a PU that I managed to miss in the update?

In any case, a good start to series two. Pere seems a solid ruler – though his foreign policy seems questionable at best...

Yes, you did miss it in the Update.

Well, mostly because I screwed up my copy pastes :)

Thanks for noticing, I've updated the post :) (look down if you just want to read the 2 lines I've missed)

As for Pere, I will try to pay more attention to MEIOU's traits, to avoid for instance having a peaceful 'strong soldier', or a religious 'doubtful mind'.... This is why Pere is more offensive.
The full control (Ancient Roman - style) of the Mediterranean sea is very important, and this round gives me the pieces to be able to do it before 1500 and the colonization :)

Ray: In these conditions, Pere terms are hard, and you will be pleased with them, George. In addition to Corsica, Genoa will renounce to its Sardinian cores, and give away its Greek islands, and half its Italian land.

44.png

missingPart said:
George: Genoa now is made of Genoa itself, plus some Ottomans and Hordes baits around the Black Sea... This will be hard for them to recover.

Ray: Moreover, the prestige Aragon got from this war now places it in an ideal position to peacefully grab some vassals. 1361 is the year for that: Achaia, leading the union with Arbanon, goes first, in January. Albania in march, Hum in July. Meanwhile, in June, Karl VIII of Sweden dies with no heir... Pere IV is recognized by the Swedish senate as their new king.

swede.png

George: This is probably the only vassals Pere will be able to grab, as in January 1362, the Ottomans are going to war against the Knights. Aragon, as a protector of the Knights, takes the lead of the defensive alliance. Big boys like Venice, Castille, England, Epirus, Genoa and of course Sicily and Sweden also join.

Ray: The Ottomans only have the Tunisian Hafsids on their side...

Round II (1366-1370): Bis Repetita Placent

bannARA.png

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to this Season Premiere of "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we will follow Aragon. Last time, Pere IV recovered the Aragonese cores on Sardinia and Corsica, expand its sphere of influence in the Balkans, and grabbed a few coastal provinces from the Muslims. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Pere IV d'Aragó, Rei d'Aragó, Kung av Sverige.

swede.png

Pere: Good evening Ray.

Ray: Last time, your fleet showed its supremacy, may it be against Genoa and the Ottomans... did it help you secure the victories you had?

Pere: Of course it did. Genoa's army was stuck in Crimea, the Ottomans' in Asia... We were able to land troops in North Africa and Greece... Our vassals were able to do so because the seas were safe for them... But I need to keep credit for the land troops. Even if they had less to do, they did their job. The troops I lead to Provence then Napoli have been very strong.

George: What about mercenaries? You used some against Naples, but none against the Muslims?

Pere: This is true. We had some -large- peasants revolts when we did increase centralization. Mercenaries were the only way to face it quickly. But we then built our own military, and shortly after the war against Naples, we disbanded the survivors. They have been very useful, and if we need troops in a short notice, I will not hesitate hiring some again, but they are very expensive and I don't want them to cripple our economy.

Ray: Last thing... At the end of the round, you signed a peace with Fez and Grenada, but your vassals and Sweden still are engaged... What is your strategy here?

Pere: Well, we were only at war because Castille was. And with the war won already, if we wanted anything from a peace, we had to negotiate it ourselves. The enemy has no army and no navy anymore. I am not afraid of my vassals being threatened.

Ray: I see. Then, what are your objectives for this round?

Pere: Well, we have now a few provinces in hostile Muslim territory. We'll have to defend them. Granada, Hafsid, Tripoli, Fez, the Ottomans... They have to go.

Ray: This is ambitious... We'll look forward to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George: As soon as we start this round, Pere shows he was right. Sweden goes out of the war against Fez before Castille does, and grab a small province for itself. The Melila enclave was created by the annexation of El Rif by Aragon. This is now Swedish territory.

EU3_1.png

Ray: Castille then quickly ends its own war, grabbing as well land in Africa, and in Granada. And after a year of peace, the Roman Empire is revolting from Epirus, Aragon's ally. Aragon goes to war again, and lead the defense. Epirus and Sicily quickly besiege Angeloksatron

EU3_5.png

George: Meanwhile, in April Aragon troops lands in Theodoro, the capital of the Roman Empire. They are quickly reinforced with Sicilian troops.

EU3_4.png

Ray: Theodoro quickly falls, and the Roman Empire is vassalized while renouncing to all its cores on Aragonese land. We are in May 1368 and Aragon controls most of Greece.

EU3_6.png

George: And Aragon will quickly have another opportunity to expand. In March 69, the Ottomans are attacking the Knights again. Just as he did in 62, Pere defends his Catholic brothers and goes to war. Moreover, as he is already at war with the Ottomans, defenders of the Muslim faith, Pere takes the opportunity to declare a crusade on Hafsid, his Tunisian neighbor.

Ray: Tunis being the capital of Hafsid, Pere can grab either Beja only, or the entire Hafsid territory.

George: Just like the war of 1362, the Catholic powers all grouped against the Ottomans in this war. With the support of Venitian and Sicilian navies, the Aragonese fleet quickly sink the Ottomans'. The Hafsid navy is also sent deep under water.

EU3_9.png

Ray: However, Pere has no interest in such war yet. The Knights have been defended, the Ottomans are hurt and can't cross the straits... After twelve months of -mostly naval- war, the Ottomans accept a light peace, giving away cores on the Aragonese world.

George: The best chance for Aragon to quickly push the Ottomans away from Europe is through its Roman vassal. Hurting the Ottomans again and again will generate a wave of sympathy in occupied Europe. Revolts could occur there... Let's arm the Ottomans in Asia, not in Europe.

Ray: Anyway... This will have to be a short round, since in April 1370, Pere IV is killed at the siege of Tunis.

EU3_15.png

George: His son Joan I will have to rule the Kingdoms of Aragon and Sweden. With wars on in Africa, he'll probably try to unite his holdings in North Africa, reconquer Provence, or diplo-annex Sicily, as asked by its senate.

EU3_MAP_ARA_final.png

Ray: Yes... Or he may be dragged into the 100 years war, or face more threats in Turkey or against Naples... Only round III knows its truth. This is why you should not miss the next episode of BIG RULER!

Last edited:
Ray: Anyway... This will have to be a short round, since in April 1670, Pere IV is killed at the siege of Tunis.

I think you're 300 years ahead there. ;)

You're getting quite the empire in the Mediterranean. I'm liking developments here much better than with Savoie. Much neater thus far. ;)

Looking forward to more.

Round III (1370-1377): The Great Defensive Wars

bannARA.png

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to this Season Premiere of "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we will follow Aragon. Last time, Pere IV grabbed a new vassal as the Byzantine Empire, and went another time to war against the muslims, only to die besieging Tunis. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome his son, Joan I d'Aragó, Rei d'Aragó, Kung av Sverige.

swede.png

Joan: Good Evening Ray.

Ray: Joan, your nation is currently at war with Hafsid. We all hope for a rapid and total annexation. What's next on your list? Recover Montpellier?

Joan: No... End the Reconquista. Granada is still alive and should be annexed before Castille does. This is my only aim for this round. Then we need to focus on our reputation. The easiest way for us to expand is through diplomacy. May it be to acquire new vassals or new unions. I will not use wars unless forced.

Ray: Another question...

Joan: I am sorry but my fellow men are fighting in Tunis right now, and I feel my place is with them on the battlefield, not in this salon. See you next round.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray: Stunned! I am stunned! How can he?

George: Don't blame him, Ray. He is a king and behave as such. And he's right. We are in a middle of a war that he needs to end.

Ray: Which is done quickly, as in May 1370, Hafsids are annexed.

George: And in February 71, as the truce with Granada ends, war is back on in Spain.

Ray: Tlemcen and Fez dishonored their alliance with the Spanish emirate, while Castille attacks as soon as their ownt ruce ends, in April.

George: They beat Aragon in the run to Gibraltar, but Aragon controls the rest of the emirate.

EU3_8.png

Ray: During this war, Henry IV of England died. His only daughter, the late Mary, was Pere IV's spouse. As a result, her son Joan inherits the throne of England

EU3_8b.png

George: This is good for Aragon, isn't it? The fleets of Aragon, Sweden and now England will be unbeatable, even against a Genoa-Venice-Castille alliance!

Ray: This is true. But see, England is not in a very good shape right now. Decades of wars against France or Scotland ruined the nation, and their vassals seems vulnerable. In October, Navarra attacks Albret, England's vassal. Aragon for the English alliance, Burgundy for Navarra, both join the war. This create a weird situation as England still is the war leader, but can't negociate any peace while Aragon is at war...

George: One war at a time, Ray. In December, Castille annexes Gibraltar, leaving the rest of Granada for Aragon.

Ray: Then the Reconquista is achieved, as early as 1371.

George: Right now.... This might change everything...

Ray: Oh my... Castille and its ally Portugal attack Albret as well! Spain is becoming a huge battlefield!

George: Yes, and Aragon does not have the upper hand. Joan avoids any frontal fight as long as he can and spread its troops through the Spanish peninsula, allowing Castille and rebels to advance in Aragon itself, and on the British Isles.

EU3_17.png

Ray: This might be dramatic for the moral of Aragonese families, besieged in their home towns!

George: Yes, but this situation is only temporary. Once the invading armies have suffered exhaustion from the sieges, the armies of Africa are brought back. Spring 1372 is when the counter-offensive is started.

EU3_18.png

Ray: This looks effective.

George. It is. Here is the situation in May 1372. Sweden and England are landing through Calais to attack Burgundy's settlements in Flanders, while the Aragon-Sicily armies are spreading from Navarra and Andalusia down the Atlantic Ocean. Castillian settlements in Africa also are under siege.

EU3_21.png

Ray: And in August 1372, Alexander IV of Scotland died with no heir. After hesitations, the Scottish senate decide to give the crown to the King of England, thus uniting the British isles.

EU3_21b.png

George: In September 1372 the combats are starting again. Aragon looses some men, but pushes Castille and Portugal back.

EU3_25.png

Ray: Castille situation should be pretty bad now, isn't it?

George: It is. Here is the situation in December 1372. Castille and Portugal are entirely under siege. Meanwhile, against Navarra and Burgundy, the alliance is making good progress as except from the Dijon area, and Albret besieged by Burgundy, the enemy territory is under Swedish or Aragonese control.

EU3_33.png

Ray: Now it is only a matter of time before forts are falling.

George: Yes, but it may take time. Nothing happen through 1373, but here is the situation in January 74, with Burgundy pushed back from Albret to Zaragoza, and all English channel settlements under Aragonese or Swedish control.

EU3_37.png

Ray: But thinks might worsen in October 1374. Montenegro is attacking Arbanon because of border frictions.

George: I don't see how it can change the Spanish wars.

Ray: But it does! The ruler of Arbanon is no one else than Achaea's, Aragon's vassal. Aragon quickly join this third defensive conflict.

George: Again, I don't see how it could impact Aragon. Balsza Balsic's army is beaten in Kastrioti, in January 75

Ray: You are right, it won't change a thing. In April 75, Aragon negociates a peace with Castille after its African settlement defected. Aragon is to unite its Spanish lands. England will hurry to negotiate a separate peace with Castille a few days later, releasing Granada as an independent nation.

EU3_42.png

George: Thus starting the Reconquista again.

Ray: Indeed. You were right George. How are we against Navarra and Montenegro?

George: Well, everything is under control, as seen here in July 1375. Only the Dijon area is not under siege yet, but the Aragonese army is going for it.

EU3_45.png

Ray: This forces Navarra to accept a peace, signed in early August. Having no right in this war, Joan I keep its captures to the minimum, only capturing the littoral province of Guiness, South of Calais, to reinforce the presence of its commonwealth in the area.

EU3_49.png

George: This presence will ever increase at the end of September, since Sweden signs its own peace, keeping the Normandy area of Contentin.

Ray: And the commonwealth will be at peace only at the end of October, while England and Navarra ends this with a white peace.

George: Well, you forgot the war with Montenegro. Here is the situation in December 1375, with nearly the entire area under control.

EU3_53.png

Ray: Aragon will force a hard peace treaty in May 1376, forcing Montenegro to convert to Catholicism, and even grabbing a province, to support its vassals in the area.

EU3_54.png

George: Yes... He now have to be very cautious about his infamy, but this round is turning on nicely...

Ray: Yes it is. In July 1376, the King of Cyprus bows allegiance to Joan.

George: This will allow Aragon to have an outpost to liberate Jerusalem, or back stab the Ottomans.

Ray: The fate of Aragon will be challenged another time in February 1377 though when... oh... I am sorry, I am being told in the earpiece that I can't say more, and that we have to interrupt this round right now.

George: What?

Ray: A war, George, a war. Or more precisely, a bunch of them. Since we already played 8 years in this round, we'll keep it for the next one.

George: But.. with who?

Ray: You'll know it if you watch the next episode of BIG RULER! But trust me, it is going to be BIG!

Round IV (1377-1383): The Wars of Infamy

Do you think so?

I must say I am a bit ashamed of breaking the BB limit so early in the game but :unsure: it's not me... I've been attacked! :happy:

An Aragonese British Isles?! It can't be!

That said, an excuse to see some more heraldry is always welcome. ;)

With the Reconquista done (or almost done) maybe you should add the Granada pomegranate to the coat of arms. Since you can't give it a full quarter maybe a small bit at the bottom or somewhere like the coat of arms of Spain? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Spain

Yes... Historically, Spain added Grenada en point to symbolize the unification of Spain. IRL, Castille and Aragon already "merged", as seen here:

http://www.heraldique-europeenne.org/Regions/Iberique/Espagne.htm

Spain was the union of (Castille + Leon) and (Aragon + Sicily) when Granada was reconquered. This is a situation I've never seen in any of my EU3 games, MEIOU or vanilla, as Granada often goes quickly. I won't be adding any real spoiler when I'll say that this game will not be different. Castille or Aragon will annex Granada before they are a single entity.

I would say that the addition of Granada on the Spain shield, historically, was what really created "Spain" as an entity: This was not the simple "PU of Castille and Aragon" anymore, but Spain, as a whole.

This had a very strong meaning. But which won't mean anything in this particular game. When Portugal ended the Portuguese reconquista in 1249, they did not add the Algarve shield on theirs... When Anne de Bretagne died and Britanny was inherited by France, France did not add Britanny to its shield, and so on.

As said by Enewald, I will have a bunch of heraldry updates in the next century (the first century is always the more prolific in terms of PU). All the shields on the CoA will represent all the active PUs, nothing more, nothing less :)