[Megathread] Warfare Discussion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For example, I haven't seen @Secret Master talking about orders and manouvers and how are they linked to units!! Is he hidding this to avoid losing in MP games?

Umm, I just assumed we all knew that. The 30% for Rapid advance is great in the early game. My bad. :cool:

But you missed my favorite order:

1706547639839.png

I don't get a lot of artillery guys, but I do make use of them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Umm, I just assumed we all knew that. The 30% for Rapid advance is great in the early game. My bad. :cool:

But you missed my favorite order:

View attachment 1078018

I miss regular artillery units requirement to use that order (excluding heavy tanks).

There are no orders that have a % of artillery units as requirement, and this one certainly qualifies.

Also, the effect of terrain for manouvers is not apparent.

Mud, camouflaged, broken supply line, exhausted and rapid advance are dependent on terrain but the game tooltip does not tell you. It would be great for each state or battle to show them somehow.

Furthemore, good or poor visibility could be tied to terrain and weather conditions.

Like a battle forecast presented to the player that shows the probable battle conditions that the army will face:
  • sunny day with a high chance of a rapid advance
  • poor visibility with high altitude that will mud our troops.
  • jungle environment that favours our general jungle combat expertise
Anyway, now that we are discussing in the warfare mega thread, the technological and economic factors that you portrayed will most of the times be achievable by players with similar size/powerful nations. However, the edge should come from knowing your generals, the terrain and giving good orders with clever unit composition.

• 2Like
Reactions:

Perusing through the wikipedia I have found the following. Maybe you did not get a lot of artillery guys because they do not come with the trait! you need to put a character in the army with artillery tech unlocked and using more than 20% artillery in the army EDITED:thanks to @CaesarVincens , and eventually they will get the trait. A trait that can get upgraded! Fantastic, CK3 in Victoria3.

1706721635188.png

1706721771305.png

Last edited:
Perusing through the wikipedia I have found the following. Maybe you did not get a lot of artillery guys because they do not come with the trait! you need to put a character in the army with artillery and eventually they will get the trait. A trait that can get upgraded! Fantastic, CK3 in Victoria3.

View attachment 1078837
View attachment 1078839
That's Artillery the technology, not artillery the unit type, just so it's clear. I'll have to review the trait file to see if artillery units affect the weight of the trait.

Edit: Reviewing the files, there is an increased weight to gain the trait if using 20% or more artillery (with increasing weight the more advanced it is).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Heyo!

I hope this is the right place to ask this question:

Is there a way to 'consolidate' or 'merge' weak battalions?

I get that there's a whole 'building/employment' thing going on, but it seems weird that the only way to consolidate troops would be to demolish and rebuild barracks.

Am I missing something obvious?

Reactions:
Heyo!

I hope this is the right place to ask this question:

Is there a way to 'consolidate' or 'merge' weak battalions?

I get that there's a whole 'building/employment' thing going on, but it seems weird that the only way to consolidate troops would be to demolish and rebuild barracks.

Am I missing something obvious?
I also miss the consolidate option.

Meanwhile, I recommend moving the depleted unit back to HQ to replenish.

As you cannot detach depleted units first, your only option is to send the whole army back. One trick is to divide the army in four/five armies and only retreat the ones with more depleted units. This way you may keep some of the full units in the front line.

Cycling is very important, do not engage with half full units.

Reactions:

As you cannot detach depleted units first, your only option is to send the whole army back. One trick is to divide the army in four/five armies and only retreat the ones with more depleted units. This way you may keep some of the full units in the front line.

Yeah, one army basically serves as a sick bay.

Thanks for replying, now I can rest easy now that I didn't just overlook a button or smth ^^

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looking at mobilization options at the wiki I have found that reconnaissance can greatly increase battle occupation.

1707212032002.png

Has anyone used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg in the game before Hitler did? How rapid is the advance compared to not using them?

PS: sometimes I feel we need 10 years more of ingame to play with the late tech toys

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I am like: OH come on !!

What happened: I had an army south to defend, I bring an army north by naval invasion to attack, its a huge success, whole north is taken because undefended, then the north front break the south front in 2 piece in the amazonian, then my south army have to somewhat do a loop to go back to south-est front, and my north army have to take the sea to go all around to the west front...

I am sorry, but my feeling is this front warfare system is still not... up to standard quality.

Suggestion: have the fronts stay where they are originally at their creation, as a "logistic front", and only have the region occupation mechanics move the real site of the battle.

1707735417857.png

• 3Like
Reactions:

I hate how micro we have to do this in a system that's not supposed to have micro.

Reactions:
How location(sate) for combat is selected? Like i advance over a long single front, half of it being in low-infa rough terrain states and half in good infa state on the plains. I expect more combat on the plains side, yet it's not happening?