[Megathread] Leviathan Release Problems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
more or less historical than Lucca reforging the Roman Empire complete with enforcing classical latin on everyone while 15 lone prussians beat 30k saxons in battle and the Mughal Empire under a timurid seizes the mandate of heaven
Except these crazy things can be achieved by player only, not the AI

Reactions:
i hope this castrophic release will start a mind change towards more quality, bug fixing and integration of mechanics instead of churning out meme stuff nobody asked for and unfitting one button mechanics for the quick money.

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Did they fix 1.30 Emperor bugs before releasing the new bugs?

I hope that answers your question.

Reactions:
I was at least looking forward to updating and implementing new features for my mods this week, but this release completely deflated even that.
I don't think I'll be touching this game for a good month now at least.

Man, I have to wonder just what arcane magic the CK2 team managed to do with their last DLC, managing to leave the game on such a high note and on a quite good place overall.
Meanwhile, EU4, being as old as CK2 was then, is just a plain trainwreck...
It's truly sad to see.

No answer is a good answer when you find yourself in this situation. But I still wanted to let you know that your concerns are heard.
I do not envy your position today.
I'm sure being a community manager at PDX is a gratifying experience most of the time, but not today.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Theory on why Tech Group icons are broke
I have a theory on why the Tech groups have broken sprites. They took the last two sprites for Aboriginal group and Polynesian group.

Only problem being that they didn't add anything to the actual dds file. This explains why Aboriginal group uses the High American icon and Polynesian is nonexistent.

1619546687157.png

I honestly don't know which is worse, calling for nonexistent graphics or calling purple square placeholder graphics.

EDIT: I didn't think they could mess this up, but they have somehow.
1620364704141.png

You can clearly see that the two new tech group icons have the background gear placed higher than in every other sprite. Seriously?

They are also lazy with the units because the Polynesian unit types are just a neutered version of Aboriginal, having their unit pips ripped straight out of the Aboriginal group and the only difference being the lack of choices and different localization. At this point you might as well pull an African tech groups and make them all share the same unit types.

Also, if you have not already heard, the new tech groups also have extreme bias.
Polynesians and Australians get 22 infantry pips at tech 26 (the same as Western at tech 30, and higher than all other tech groups until the end of the game).

Another thing: the Ming patch is super lazy. Celestial Empire gives +470 government cap. Why such an awkward number? Because it was blatantly hard coded in to avoid the issue, despite the balance issue this causes because now Ming states all their land and doesn't have 50k at game start (well, at least AI Ming is not as awful now).

Last edited:
  • 8Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
We're over a year in the pandemic, the correct move would have been to greatly reduce the scope of the expansion (why the hell is it an expansion anyway and not a smaller flavor pack? Especially since Pdx Tinto is a new studio??) and/or to delay the release by several weeks, at least.
Because if its an expansion they can sell it a higher price, and it doesn't matter how bad it is people buy it anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I genuinely think people are taking this out on the wrong people with this one. This is 100% a higher up decision rushing it.
The higher ups are also far more likely than the devs to be responsible for whatever is going wrong with QA, whether that's not allowing enough time to implement fixes after testing or keeping the budget too low or something else entirely

Reactions:
Leviathan has been a year of "work" of an entire dev team. This release doesn't make any sense, something bad is going on in the company.

EU4 changed almost its entire workforce, with the new workforce having 0 experience in development of PDS games, and they are immediately sent to develop a major DLC and with limited help of seniors due to Corona. Yeah, the new DLC has almost no new mechanics, but it has enough to cause a mess for an inexperienced team. How could this NOT end in an awkward product?
PI should have make Tinto work on some event packs or something first, not big updates. Leviathan was... well, to much of a Leviathan for them.

• 6Like
Reactions:
i hope this castrophic release will start a mind change towards more quality, bug fixing and integration of mechanics instead of churning out meme stuff nobody asked for and unfitting one button mechanics for the quick money.

• 12Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
lol

Reactions:
I dunno. I kinda like seeing the USA stuck in the top right hand corner all alone and hopeless.

• 1Like
Reactions:
EU4 changed almost its entire workforce, with the new workforce having 0 experience in development of PDS games, and they are immediately sent to develop a major DLC and with limited help of seniors due to Corona. Yeah, the new DLC has almost no new mechanics, but it has enough to cause a mess for an inexperienced team. How could this NOT end in an awkward product?
PI should have make Tinto work on some event packs or something first, not big updates. Leviathan was... well, to much of a Leviathan for them.
Certainly not a £15.49 'full' expansion.

Reactions:
Reactions: