[Megathread] Leviathan Release Problems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm glad i decided to check on the forum before buying it. Saved me the hassle of refunding it.
Regarding Paradox, it seens that the more these companies grow, the worse it gets regarding QA and the respect for the customer, as if the community owned the company something. I'm getting disapointed in Pradox by the day...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't understand why they didn't learn from their mistakes during Emperor's release.

Probably because people keep preordering new DLCs. While most devs take great pride in their work, upper management sets the release time table. And as long as the money keeps flowing they have little incentive to change their DLC release policy.

Reactions:
Does anyone happen to know if the removal of favor/trust mechanics for alliances is a WAD feature or a bug?

Btw, aren't people overreacting a bit? I get that it's not okay to charge money for something that is obviously not finished, but if they claim to have a patch in a week that seems like a satisfying solution? I mean jeez guys, just refund and wait a week. I don't get why you are getting barricades up :x

Reactions:
Update: I got my money back.
refund.png

• 15Like
Reactions:
We hope to have 1.31.1 out next week

^ this - I just confirmed that the fixes are in the 1.31.1 build. It doesn't excuse the assets missing in 1.30.0 however.
Respectfully, WHY was Leviathan released at 1.31.0 with *known* bugs being fixed in 1.31.1? Is management not willing to back the release date by a mere week to allow for fixing some *really* notable bugs? I mean, I get it if the bugs weren't known aforehand, but it sounds like they were known, and rather than waiting to launch until truly ready, Paradox decided to release broken code anyways.

Reactions:
We hope to have 1.31.1 out next week

^ this - I just confirmed that the fixes are in the 1.31.1 build. It doesn't excuse the assets missing in 1.30.0 however.
Hey BjornB, i am a software developer myself. In company where i work when we are having "an incident" on production, and our customers are not getting thier financial statements on time, we are working overtime until it gets fixed. (that can even mean that we would work all night) Usually that means a fixed and stable version within hours, not days or weeks. Unfortunetlly there are different standards in banking sector than in game development. You take us for granted, i belive that is a big mistake.

Some of those bugs can be fixed within literally minutes, asking all the players that just bought your game to wait for days or weeks is insulting. I am aware that some of the bugs need deeper code analsysis, but for the love of god, those missing assets, broken mission trees and null pointer exceptions can be fixed even today.

• 7Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Looking at some of the posts, it is disgusting that some of you guys are attacking the devs and calling them names. Yes they produced the product, but it is not an excuse to attack the devs personally.

If there is an issue with the product - highlight it, speak in a respectful manner, and if need be, throw it in the bug forum located here : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forums/euiv-bug-reports.813/

If there is an issue with a mod - highlight, speak in a respectful manner, speak to the mod developer, and address with them on Steam or Forums

What I can't stress enough from a Project manager and former software engineer point of view....the development team work their asses off, and there are bound to be bugs, it happens with all software. Testing happens with a QA team, but even they can't find everything. 10000 users in 1 hour, will find more bugs than 10 QA in 1000 hours will. So what might seem obvious to you, may not have even hit the QA or otherwise. I get your irked with the product, but it isn't an excuse to fire shots directly at the dev team. Please play nice.

If you release exceptionally poor quality products at exorbitant prices without fixing the mess you made before, then perhaps you should expect to receive some flak. I haven't seen the devs attacked personally; but the quality of the product, the ridiculous DLC policy and so on is completely fine to attack. When the Devs then finally emerges to us mortal beings, and they completely ignore the criticism leveled, then people get toxic. I don't condone toxicity, but I do understand it.

Now I understand Johan's post.. Now I get it.

But I think EU 4 is FUBAR. It's impossible. The problem with territories and debt, and now this. Good luck fixing everything.

Amazing how PDX is getting worst and worst as it gets bigger and bigger...

They've become increasingly distant to their customers. Whether because of hubris or because they don't care, I don't know. I still, I try to believe that individual devs do care, but the stakeholders don't give a damn. To them, we and the product is nothing but numbers in an excel ark.

Reactions:
If you release exceptionally poor quality products at exorbitant prices without fixing the mess you made before, then perhaps you should expect to receive some flak. I haven't seen the devs attacked personally; but the quality of the product, the ridiculous DLC policy and so on is completely fine to attack. When the Devs then finally emerges to us mortal beings, and they completely ignore the criticism leveled, then people get toxic. I don't condone toxicity, but I do understand it.

As said previously, I am not against criticism against the product - in fact I am all for it provided it is constructive and not just "raaaaaahhh, this is so OP, PLZ FIX" or "OMG Why didn't QA Pick this up" etc. Be constructive with the criticism.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Apparently they tried to fix that not by addressing a broken optimization, but instead by artificially constraining growth late in the game's existence.
Worse. They fixed performance issues (I can attest to this as an old 2.8 save with 6000+ pops became playable again in late game) and separately nerfed pop growth at the same time, which broke AI even further.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Probably because people keep preordering new DLCs. While most devs take great pride in their work, upper management sets the release time table. And as long as the money keeps flowing they have little incentive to change their DLC release policy.
I don’t understand the pre-order behavior. Are they offered the DLC at a discount? Is there some reason to pre-order software that can be replicated functionally infinitely?

Why with the last issues of this design studio would one pre-order anything but a refund?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I gotta say, reading the forums, big oof. Skipped Leviathan because the features just didn't seem very appealing or cohesive to me. Thought to myself: "this looks a £5 grab bag of random fluff, maybe I'll get it on sale a year or two down the line".

Boy am I glad I listened to my gut on this one.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah I got up and was planning on buying it. Saw the negative reviews on steam, so I decided to read if it was actual issues or whining, saw the horrific state it appears to be in and decided I am keeping my money. Amazing there is no statement from PDX. (is there?)

• 2Like
Reactions:
This patch is pretty much viable evidence that PDX does not load their game in 1444, let alone start the timer, use console commands, or run observer games. Disregarding all the balance and gameplay issues, the fundamentals are just broke.

Some absolutely egregious crap out of the many:

236850_20210427105006_1.png

Literal placeholder images and lack of localization in several areas, including Sikhism and government reforms.

unknown.png

Australian & Polynesian natives using westerngfx because they were not given proper graphics without the DLC (not even N.American native models)

eu4_17.png

Polynesian tech group not having any graphic assigned to it. I had to dig into the code to make sure that the group even existed. Also, Aboriginal tech group uses High American icon (are you that lazy).

1619531951059.png

Ayutthaya not getting Siam formable at all without the DLC, since their missions (along with other SEA majors) are locked behind the DLC. Totally legitimate to have a work in progress line in the official patch release!! (also, look at that file name, classic "portugese" move).

Screenshot_873.png

Missionary Strength +100% still in the game, despite being noticed by many people during the streams as a bug.

unknown_1.png

Governing Capacity can flow negative, making the Tribal polities in the Champa highlands some of the easiest tags to WC with.

eu4_8.png

Literally no PROV_ADJ localization for some of the new provinces.

eu4_19.png

No unit model definitions for many new tags, not even the "generic" Lan Xang units from the Buddhist pack that is given to literally everyone, even the Shan states and Champa.

There is so much more, but find it yourself. Maybe actually go in-game instead of just loading up the title screen to make sure it doesn't crash?

Also, this isn't a horrendous fundamental bug, but you know I have to complain about this:
eu4_20.png

"guys culture is not related to language anymore"

* proceeds to make patch that has culture with language more than logic, ruining the previously far superior monolithic SEA culture group

Obviously, Vietnamese in Chinese group is the first thing I'm removing, for the sake of sanity.

EDIT: Oh right, also:
ufuzgFp.png

Tibetan temple requires religion in Lhasa (you know, the province with the -5% strength religious center) to be Theravada, not Vajrayana. Why? Theravada's code name is "buddhism." Apparently they forgot there are 3 types of Buddhism in the game.

EDIT: You know there's a severe problem when tons of lone modders are uploading mods fixing 1.31 for Paradox.
1619549018244.png
1619549116300.png

Edit Edit:
Ah yes, I love when my post is megathreaded and merged into another post, thus making it impossible to find it and any replies to it, while simultaneously cluttering all other threads combined. I love how I cannot even threadmark this.

Here's more about the egregiousness of tech groups:

Last edited:
  • 18Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
I'm glad I backed up my 1.30.6 game folder before updating.

I've got all the expansions upto and including Emperor But from now on just put me down for just the free updates. Except the quality of the free updates...

Just abit sad to be honest.
You can always load back with steam for the latest official release of each patch you know right?

Reactions:
Hello,
What paradox is trying for people to buy DLC subscriptian stuff...

Its quite a low tactic from 2010's

And i belive the quality of the release is no councidence

Its delibrite for giving sub more value since they will sell the "fix" with smaller dlc release window

I see what you trying to do Paradox.

Reactions: