Megacities viable or not , you be the judge . I say its harder at the begining but when you start to roll its more rewarding then ever before

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why is the first bold arbitrary and not the second? How would you put a satisfying number in that #? What's stopping me in putting forth a rationale of my own in the number of pop cap? I mean, now that I look closer to your proposal, it's really great for a "build and forget" approach. Since there is really no point in growing cities, then every city you conquer just need to make sure it conforms to one of the building templates and just forget about it.
Arbitrary isn't an insult, if there's a satisfying rationale for it go ahead and say so! There is already a very low limit for settlements, so changing what Aqueducts do, for example, would allow all cities to be flattened, so you never end up with actual cities. It doesnt seem as satisfying to me to go that route, I like having the option for larger cities to be viable, but not game-breaking though.

In terms of a satisfying number for the number of Pops a building can service, I'd just put that down to experimentation until the game balance feels about right, generally aiming for a # that means you can't have a Jack-of-all-trades city.

As for "build-and-forget", I'm mostly comfortable with that. This game has a ridiculous number of territories to manage, and as a GSG I would not expect experienced players to spend a ton of time deliberating for each. There's a reason macro-builders are popular.

I really think the building system needs to be overhauled before we see an end to mega cities.

Anyway im thinking of a band aid solution that would require just simple modding. Each aqueduct would reduce pop capacity by maybe 2.5%. And maybe increase capacity to 5 to make them still viable for small cities but really expensive for mega cities. Quite easy to mod. What do you guys think?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why is the first bold arbitrary and not the second? How would you put a satisfying number in that #? What's stopping me in putting forth a rationale of my own in the number of pop cap? I mean, now that I look closer to your proposal, it's really great for a "build and forget" approach. Since there is really no point in growing cities, then every city you conquer just need to make sure it conforms to one of the building templates and just forget about

In real life buildings work this way. A church, library, market have a limited capacity and they benefit a limited number of citizens.

one can argue that some buildings have an effect to the whole population, working as a % modifier. These buildings normally are great architechtural feats, ancient wonders, touristic areas, etc...

• 2Like
Reactions:
yes you can still form metropol's in the game

• 1Like
Reactions:
yes you can still form metropol's in the game
Thanks.
I didn't mean a metropolis, but a "megalopolis." In Sim City, your city got "Megalopolis" status if it reached 500,000 residents. I saw ambiguous references online to building a "megacity" and "megalopolis" in Imperator Rome, but based on your answer, they must just mean a "Metropolis."

Reactions:
Thanks.
I didn't mean a metropolis, but a "megalopolis." In Sim City, your city got "Megalopolis" status if it reached 500,000 residents. I saw ambiguous references online to building a "megacity" and "megalopolis" in Imperator Rome, but based on your answer, they must just mean a "Metropolis."
if your definition of "megalopolis" is if you smack the city to the max then yeah that works too, look here:

1676751257543.png

here you can read the whole post:

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
if your definition of "megalopolis" is if you smack the city to the max then yeah that works too, look here...
In the classic game "Sim City," there were multiple officially named city size levels:
Town, City, Metropolis, Megalopolis. You got the Megalopolis achievement when your population reached 500,000.

In Imperator Rome, the residence levels are:
Settlement, City, Metropolis.

When I saw posts online about Imperator Rome, mentioning a Megalopolis or a Megacity, I imagined that the same situation applied, and your residence changed to a new official category in Imperator Rome called "Megalopolis."

if your definition of "megalopolis" is if you smack the city to the max then yeah that works too, look here:

View attachment 948599

here you can read the whole post:

This is just hilarious if you think about it, the city is basically a urban sprawl of aqueducts. People probably have houses in aqueducts and they use aqueducts to move.
I can only imagine a spaghetti mess of aqueducts all bending and wrapping in several height layers, basically a spaghetti Coruscant.

• 1Haha
Reactions: