• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, as some of you who read the CKII portion of this mega-campaign will know, when I feel like writing but can't fit it in to the ongoing narratives I'm doing right now (since I just posted a Contevilles update and I don't feel like doing a main history-book update for this), I do what I call a tale of the 'Norseoverse', which is my term for the alternate-history universe of this AAR.
The tales 'zoom in' on the Norseoverse and illustrate, if somewhat poorly (by my own estimation) what daily life is like at the point in time and space I choose to set each tale in.
Since the last main update for this ended around 1543, this tale shall be set there in a place I imagine will be quite interesting.
Where?
You'll find out!

In His Name
A Tale of the Norseoverse

The armed caravan arrived at Thorvaldstad just as the winter rains started. Clearly the timing of their departure had been misjudged, thought Sevewulf as he got off the now-soaked wagon.
Or perhaps we should never have left Markaborg? he questioned. Nevertheless, at the entrance they met Father Peder, a priest at the Church of St. Olaf and a man with a rather rat-like face.
Father Peder said: "Welcome, welcome, to our humble little bygden. Please, make yourselves at home, don't be afraid to ask for anything, just be careful not to show your weapons in public: it scares the villagers."
Sevewulf, a middle-aged soldier, looked down at his shoulder holster containing his personal pulversky, a rather large and awkward gunpowder weapon that fired miniature Brahnjulen balls. Despite its weight and awkwardness, Sevewulf knew it would do the job he had come to Thorvaldstad for.
He walked into the town, and was not surprised with what he saw.
ar131594075482612_zps333fc6f6.jpg

Thorvaldstad was a pathetic dump, especially to a man like Sevewulf, who had seen the great cities of Europe.
Nordhamptaborg! Uppsala! Paris! Lecce!
Even compared to Eiriksfjord or Markaborg, Thorvaldstad was pathetic: A clutch of huts and other such ramshackle dwellings and a small church whose only virtue was a view to the Gulf of St. Olaf, after which it was named.
But he was not here to gawk at the scenery. He fingered his pulver.
He was here for defense.
In the forty-two years since Folke Leifsson planted the Lion of Norway on the shores of Markland the colonists of what was already beginning to be called 'Folkesland' had learned the hard way what their heroic ancestors in the Saga of Erik the Red had known:
There is no negotiating with a Skraeling.
Oh, sure, once in a while a chief would come to Quimper in Nåva Penthiev, a colony of Catholic Bretons fleeing the Reformation, or to Eriksborg in Simonsen to make a truce or buy some ale or 'fire-water' as they termed it in their incomprehensible tongues, but mostly it was kill or be killed thousands of miles away from the organized armies and diplomacy of Europe.
Sevewulf continued on, to St. Olaf's for Mass. It was Sunday, the most torturing day in Sevewulf's week. He knew that non-Catholics had zero chance of promotion in the Norwegian military thanks to Harald V and his son Håkon VIII's Counter-Reformation which although did not wholly ban non-Catholic religions it discriminated against and persecuted them nonetheless.
I should count myself lucky, he thought as he opened the pitiful wooden door and entered the log church. I didn't have to face the Inquisition. At least, not yet.
He cracked a grim smile that only someone with a mirror could see.

Since Protestants and Reform Churchmen were still Christians despite their heretical beliefs, they could not be outright killed or their religion banned, since you could not in good conscience ban any worship that revered Jesus? Plus, there were so many followers of either breakaway church in the realm that they could not be all killed.
Instead, the Inquisition was set up by Pope Johann I to purify Catholicism from within, instead of destroying its external enemies. If you were a heretic and had never pretended to be a Catholic you simply endured the many restrictions and discrimination Protestants and Reform Churchmen were subjected to, but it was not an actual crime.
But, if (like many did) you decided to pretend to be Catholic but you were discovered to be secretly performing heretical rituals, you faced your friendly neighborhood inquisitor.
If you didn't tell him the names of other crypto-heretics, well, then, you would have to burn.
The Leifsson Clan who ran most of the Norwegian colonies in Folkesland in the name of the Crown (and indeed helped the twin western continents be named after their patriarch) jokingly called Håkon 'our dear and most beloved friend'.

In the meantime, Sevewulf walked into the church and sat down on a pew next to an acquaintance of his that had also come on the caravan, a young recruit by the name of Simon.
Father Peder followed him in, got behind the stand, and produced a Bible and set it on the stand.
"Before I perform the Mass," he said, "I would like to say a few words concerning our actions in the immediate future."
Translation of the Bible into various vernacular languages such as Norwegian or Angorse or Eirannian or Frankish had been one of the major points of the Reformation, so in the instant between the production of Peder's bible and its setting on the stand Sevewulf was able to see that the book proudly and pointedly bore the single, golden word 'VULGATA' on its cover.

Peder opened the bible a hundred and fifty or so pages in and began to read.
"The Book of Numbers, Chapter Ten" he boomed.
Sevewulf's ears pricked up. He had always preferred the earlier, Jewish Scriptures over the Christian additions.
"Verse Nine," Peder continued, and read: "When you go into battle in your own land against your enemies, sound a blast on the trumpets and you will be remembered by the Lord your God and He shall rescue you from your enemies."
Peder closed the book and looked up, directly into the gaze of the hundred or so people gathered in the small church, composed mainly of colonists and newly-arrived soldiers like Sevewulf.
Then, he said in a loud, confident voice: "Is this not our land, grant to us by Divine Providence? And are not those heathen and primitive savages we call Skraelings our enemies? And do they not seek to destroy us and overturn God's will?"
The congregation nodded as they began talking among themselves.
Peder spoke over the din, gradually overpowering it: "So if we are presented with such a threat, shall we not use the solution prescribed by God in His Scripture?"
The congregation said as one: "Of course we shall!"
So Peder continued: "Njal! Bring them out now!"
A short but muscular-seeming boy stood up from his pew and seemed to be dragging something as he made his way up to the stand, but until he reached it Sevewulf was unable to see what it was.

Peder now boomed: "These are the Trumpets of Jericho that will throw down the evil and heathen Skraelings!" as Njal held up a bunch of straight, wooden objects that took Sevewulf a few moments to realize what they were: trumpets.
6615jn_27_zps555c9cbf.jpg

Although they were recognizable trumpets, they did not look to Sevewulf like anything that had summoned him to advance or retreat in all his long years in the army.
Peder motioned to Njal, who put down all but two of the trumpets and gave one to the priest.
Then, they gave a mighty blow on the trumpets that stunned Sevewulf into almost collapsing onto the floor.
After regaining his breath, Peder cried: "Now, after the Mass, we shall march out to utterly destroy God's primitive enemies!"
**************************************************************************************
After Father Peder finished his rushed-through but yet interminable-seeming service, the entire congregation which was most of the current population of Thorvaldstad rushed out of the church of St. Olaf to their houses, except for the soldiers which had arrived with Sevewulf on the caravan.
Sevewulf drew his pulver. At crazed times like these you needed all the protection you could get.

After a few rushed minutes Sevewulf was set upon by a horde of colonists and soldiers that seemed to be led by a certain blond man who shouted: "I, Arnbjorn av Eiriksfjord, shall lead you all to destroy those Skraeling heathens! I was gathering intelligence at their camp yesterday, I know where they are! Follow me to victory!"
The undersized horde shouted various racist slurs as they rushed out of their now-deserted village with Arnbjorn at their head, and Sevewulf, caught up in the excitement followed them out.
The Skraelings were a paper threat, reflected Sevewulf after a few hours of fruitless searching.
The initial excitement from Father Peder's trumpets and Arnbjorn's demagoguery had faded after an hour or so out of Thorvaldstad with no savages in sight, dead or alive.
Now, what was once an excited mob was just a dejected collection of individuals, futilely wandering the barren landscape of the Crown Colony of Kaspia, which consisted of little other than Thorvaldstad and its mean houses and church.
Sevewulf holstered his pulver. He remembered what route they had taken despite the madness of the futile chase, and so began walking south-east, back to Thorvaldstad.

His second sight of the capital of Kaspia did surprise him.
2455627910_595492db96_zps10d651d2.jpg

Frantic thoughts raced through the military man's mind. Who did this? How? Of course it was the Skraelings, but how did they know we weren't going to be there to stop them? They couldn't have done this if they didn't know we'd be away, they are aware of our superior weapons and that they wouldn't have a chance against us!
Against all reason, an unknown gravity pulled him towards the burning village.
**********************************************************************************
The flames had mostly died down when Sevewulf arrived back at Thorvaldstad.
The church of St. Olaf seemed to be the only building still standing, so he headed there for some clues.

He was not prepared for the second surprise of the day that struck him as he entered Peder's pathetic little chapel.

He saw the ratty-faced priest, with short Njal, talking animatedly in a strange language with a feather-wearing person whom Sevewulf assumed to be a Skraeling chief like the one he had seen a prisoner back in Markaborg.
He drew the pulversky once more, then approached the conversants in slow, measured steps weighed down by disbelief.
It didn't take long for the Skraeling to spot him, but the native hadn't considered something:
Gunpowder weapons. Before the chief could do anything of importance Sevewulf had cocked his weapons and squeezed the trigger hard. In a flash of lightening and deafening noise the Skraeling's head exploded in a fireball of blood.

Shocked, both the priest and the boy went on their knees next to the downed native, as Sevewulf approached them.
It took only a moment for Sevewulf's brain to work out just what Peder had done.
He whispered a word: "Why?"
Peder, too terrified to stand up replied in a quivering tone: "It was for him."
He indicated Njal.
Somehow, he found the courage to continue and said: "They threatened to take him as a slave. He.. he was mine."
Sevewulf understood. Nevertheless, the image of burning Thorvaldstad along with all the other burned innocents flashed into his head, replacing the live one of the kneeling priest and boy, and he squeezed the trigger once, downing Peder, then aimed his weapon to the right and fired again, obliterating any living remain of Njal's stomach.

But then he realized the true cause of his killings, and knelt away from the cross at the altar and whispered:" Lord God, what have I done in Your name and the name of Your slain servants?"

Just as blond Arnbjorn rushed into the church and ran towards him, he raised the pulversky to his head, and muttered six words in an ancient tongue alien to all in the area, Skraeling and Norwegian alike except for him, then pulled the trigger, emptying the stock and his body of life.
But, fortunately, Arnbjorn survived the burning of Thorvaldstad and, after it was rebuilt ten years later, wrote an anti-Skraeling pamphlet entitled: The Martyr of Thorvaldstad in whose second-to-last paragraph he recorded Sevewulf's last words: "Shema Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Echad."
It was the eternal cry of a tortured people, the people that would, as Arnbjorn prophetically wrote: "Return to their rightful land, the Holy Land that God Himself promised to them unto eternity."

Great update. Sevewulf met with a tragic end, but at least his deeds are recorded for posterity. Really enjoyed the change of pace, and the details of ordinary life in the game really add some depth.

Great update. Sevewulf met with a tragic end, but at least his deeds are recorded for posterity. Really enjoyed the change of pace, and the details of ordinary life in the game really add some depth.
Thank you! I do these updates because I like to think of the Norseoverse as a real place where real people live (and die, in Sevewulf's case).

Really good to see the Norseoverse continuing into EU3 - and a cracking way to begin. In these 'larger scale' games, if you will, it's especially nice to see the focus shifted to the smaller people every now and then - reminds you that, even if the game is of nations, the nations are of people.

Really good to see the Norseoverse continuing into EU3 - and a cracking way to begin. In these 'larger scale' games, if you will, it's especially nice to see the focus shifted to the smaller people every now and then - reminds you that, even if the game is of nations, the nations are of people.
100% with you, Densley! Thanks to a sprained ankle and a non-learning day at school tomorrow, I think there's a good chance the next main update for this will arrive tomorrow, stay tuned as we 'zoom out' to the larger history (if equally depressing) history of a not-so-Norwegian country between 1543 and 1573!

Chapter 44:
De Magnus Ludum
Excerpted from A Saga Without Heroes Volume 2: The New Worlds by Erik Haraldsson, ©2013 Nidaros University Press.
Used with permission.

Or so it was thought.
Håkon was far from ready to give up the throne. When he was purported to 'have given up the ghost', he was actually in an incredibly deep coma, but the next day, as he was being prepared for burial, he unexpectedly (and miraculously, it must be added) arose and cried "Why seeketh ye the living among the dead? I live yet!"
And so he did.
Håkon VII reigned for another twenty-five years, long enough so the fifty-three year period from 1515 to 1568 in Norwegian history would be forever known as the 'Håkonian Era'.
The first seventeen years following Håkon's 'resurrection' seem, according to the Livet av Konger, (a history of all the kings of Norway and their deeds up to the composition of the book, probably around 1590 by one Arnbjorn Snorrisson), to have been rather uneventful compared to the turbulent years of Harald.

But in 1560 Snorrisson notes:
In his forty-sixth year the villanious heathen Skraeling tribes of the Huron and the southerly Zapotec connived to make war with the people of Folkesland and invaded the Crown Colonies of Kesseland and the southern colonies of Nåva Jorvik and its sister Nårke of which the latter two were lost for ever to the wicked Zapotec.
eu3game2013-02-0921-09-02-86_zpseb14349f.jpg

Woe unto them, enslaved by the Skraeling primitives!
But the following year the valiant warrior for the faith Edvard Leifsson, the grandson of famous Folke despoiled the sinful camps and cities of the Huron and forced them to surrender lands and claims and to break their ties with the Iroquois confederation of tribes.
eu3game2013-02-0921-11-48-31_zpsa9c3314a.jpg

Snorrisson goes on to describe the plunder taken from the Hurons and the savageries of the Zapotec occupation of Nåva Jorvik, but there were other events in 1561 of more importance to the student of general Norse history:
eu3game2013-02-0921-13-23-30_zps2fba0efd.jpg

In the chaos of the Reformation most of the actual Norwegian homelands of the Yngling dynasty had been lost to Protestant and Reform Churhc zealots who took over the provinces of Hålagoland, Trondelag (the ancestral capital of the Ynglings before their conquest of Angland and the site of the Nidaros National Heritage site today) and Rogaland, and when Harald and Håkon failed to assent to their demand of the Protesting or Reform Church becoming the state religion they defected to the Protestant realm of Svearike or Reformed Holstein.
In 1561, though, Bjarni Folkesson, a 'generally unsavory man' in Arnbjorn Snorrisson's words, hatched a plan to restore Norse control over the Norse homeland.

He dispatched a group known as the 'Secret Berserkers' to Rogaland, with the objective of stirring up antagonistic feeling against their Holsteinian overlords.
They succeeded, and one of the Berserkers, Peder Olavsson took command of a large rebel army of fourteen thousand angered Rogalanders, who spent the next four years rampaging up and down the western coast of Norway. Finally, after having forced the Holsteinian garrisons of Bergen and Hålagoland along with the Sveriger garrison in Nidaros to surrender, he issued the 'Prodigal Sons Declaration' in which he declared Rogaland, Trondelag and Hålagoland forever part and parcel of the Kingdom of Norge.
eu3game2013-02-0921-32-52-56_zps78504be6.jpg

OOC: Cue the fireworks (notice that date)!
And so, on the second of November, 1566, a now-wizened Håkon invited people from all across the realm, from frozen Hålagoland in the north to tropical Silves in the southern coast of Iberia, and from Wurrtemburg in the forests of Germany to the frontier colony of Valterstad to the half-millennial anniversary of the Battle of Jorvik, which transformed Norway from a middling player to a giant constant in European and now Folkeslander politics.
Field_of_the_cloth_of_gold_zps928aa10e.jpg

A contemporary depiction of the grand Halv Millenium av Jorvik festival in 1566.
It was Håkon's last major act.
Two years later, in May 1568, his son, Olav, having been denied the throne for so many years by the unexpected long-liveliness of his father, finally wore the Great Crown of Norway forged by his namesake Olaf the Wise four and a half centuries previously.
eu3game2013-02-0922-07-04-27_zps09a0b34c.jpg

It was a new era for Norway. Where Håkon had been close-minded and fervently Catholic and opposed to any dogmatic change, Olav, weary of the narrow thinking that had ruled Norway in the long years of his father's reign, 'opened the floodgates of thought'.
eu3game2013-02-0922-09-00-87_zps6b2b9cf3.jpg

From Byzantium, Frankerland, Skottland, thinkers and leaders flooded to Olav's court at Nordfalgborg, introducing new ideas such as the long-banned idea of humanism.
In the meantime, the tide of conquest and exploration of the New World went on, and now it was no longer limited to explorers who flew the Lion of Norway on their sterns or proclaimed that they claimed the virgin lands of Folkesland 'In Navenent Kongen av Norge'
Now, Skottsmenn, Frankermenn, and even Eirannians from the Kingdom of Munster set sail to claim the lands beyond the great Atlantic Ocean in the name of their 'Ri' or 'Roi'.

In 1572 a Skottish colony in an island located in the Karibean Sea south of the Shawnee Skraeling territories in North Folkesland that the Skotts named 'Kuba' was discovered by yet another expedition funded by the Norse crown to discover prospective lands for colonisation.
eu3game2013-02-0922-22-40-73_zps25db8cbd.jpg

This discovery triggered a new wave of colonist fleeing both the Catholic Inquisition and the numerous Protestant and Reform Church zealot revolts in Norway, and Frankermenn fleeing the av Poitiers dynasty's tyrannical rule and interminable wars.
The first fruits of this effort were Sigurd Arnesson's Norse colony in Moron, in central Kuba and the Frankish colony in Guantanamo in eastern Kuba, so Kuba became known as the 'Tripartite Island'.
eu3game2013-02-0922-27-01-15_zps1cbf4c91.jpg

In the meantime another expedition, this one headed by Mats Leifsson, grand-nephew of Folke , headed even south of Kuba. There had long been rumors that the southern Skraeling tribes had cities made entirely of gold just ready for Bjorn Norseman or Dougall Skottsman or Charles Frankermann from Agder or Stirling or Caux to arrive and be hailed as a god.
When no gold was found in Markland or Ikmass or Valterstad or even in Kuba, Mats decided to follow in his great-uncle's footsteps and seek out this gold.

When he arrived on the west coast of what he called South Folkesland in his famous relative's memory, in 1576 what he found was not gold but an entirely new civilization.
The Inca were a country very different from the scattered natives and occasional confederacy of the Skraelings of North Folkesland. They were an empire on the scale of Norway in the era of Alv Ossorsson in the early fourteenth century following his victory over the Skotts and Frankermenn.
They had fabulous pyramids on which they sacrificed prisoners to their gods and did have quite a lot of gold to Mats's delight.
They were suspicious, though, of the Norsemen who they called not 'gods' but 'interlopers', and what started as a quarrel between one of Mats's men and an Incan who wished to keep possession of a gold necklace erupted into full-scale war.

It was a disaster, of course. But not for the Norsemen. Despite their far superior numbers, the Inca were unable to resist the Norsemen's steel armor and horses and brahnnjulen, and so within weeks of the beginning of the war they surrendered, handing over most of their northern territories to Mats who declared them not Crown Colonies but 'Fagene av Kongen', subject to the King.
eu3game2013-02-0922-35-39-77_zpsf30effe3.jpg

And as more colonists arrived in the eastern shore of South Folkesland, founding the Crown Colonies of Arnsby, Olavsby, Mårisland anad others, Olav V, King of Norway and ruler of a realm that stretched from the northernmost beaches of the North Sea to the Leifsson Ocean west of Folkesland was about to undertake two decisions that would define the sixteenth century.

Could we get a map of the colonies, please?

I like the idea of a Scottish Cuba - and a Cuba ruled by three entities, for that matter. Very entertaining stuff.

Could we get a map of the colonies, please?

I like the idea of a Scottish Cuba - and a Cuba ruled by three entities, for that matter. Very entertaining stuff.
So do I! Ask and ye shall receive!
Political map please :)
You too shall receive!

THE WORLD IN THE YEAR 1581 OF THE COMMON ERA:

Political Map:
eu3game2013-02-1016-09-41-18_zpse072814c.jpg

As you can see, Norway is not the large empire I may have caused you to believe it is, but remember that Great Britain had little or no possessions in Europe and yet became the greatest empire in the world!
(I see Norway as the Norseoverse equivalent of Britain in our universe)
I now notice that Byzantium is a bloody monster!

As for the colonies:

North Folkesland:
eu3game2013-02-1016-09-58-71_zpscfa9e75b.jpg

Almost completely dominated by that glorious Norwegian light blue except for that marring dark blue stain of French Epewikitik (misspelled that)
South Folkesland and the Caribbean:
eu3game2013-02-1016-10-22-20_zpsbc6fc760.jpg

A very close race between Frankerland ,Skottland, and Norway with Frankerland having a narrow lead of six colonies in this region compared to Skottland's five, plus Norway with four colonies (not counting provinces conquered from the Inca and Zapotecs)

And our universe's Mexico and southern USA in what is more a political map of the various Skraeling nations:
eu3game2013-02-1016-10-30-18_zpsde663c8c.jpg

Shawnee is a definite power in North Folkesland and a huge stumbling block to expansion of the Norse settlement, but I figure that once I have cores on the provinces I conquered from the Inca I can outflank them and colonize the West Coast.
The Zapotecs seem to have wiped out the Aztecs but the Mayans are still holding on in Yucatan (but now that I think about them I think I'd like to crush them as my next conquest)!

Thanks for all the support and kind words, especially from you Densley!

Hang on, do my eyes deceive me, or is Granada ruled by an Yngling? I never thought I'd see a Muhammad Yngling, if that is indeed the case...

Hang on, do my eyes deceive me, or is Granada ruled by an Yngling? I never thought I'd see a Muhammad Yngling, if that is indeed the case...
No, they don't :)
EDIT: No, I don't have any idea how that happened, either; Granada started out ruled by an Yngling in the initial converted save for EU3. And yes, there were at least two Muhammad Ynglings...

Last edited:
NOt bad,but you have 19 years to take all British Isles,Baltic States,Finland,Sweden and Karelia :(

NOt bad,but you have 19 years to take all British Isles,Baltic States,Finland,Sweden and Karelia :(
Why 19? What's my deadline? Why do I have this deadline? What will happen if I don't meet it?

Why 19? What's my deadline? Why do I have this deadline? What will happen if I don't meet it?

Well...Some posts ago,I make this challenge to you:

You have to conquer all british islands,Sweden,Baltic States,Finland,Karelia an Denmark before the end of the Sixtenn century :D

it seems that the primitives are dangerous enough ....But you should concentrate more at ancestral alnds I think !

it seems that the primitives are dangerous enough ....But you should concentrate more at ancestral alnds I think !
What, where there are a billion other countries which are all allied and so it's impossible for me to conquer?

Chapter 45:
Imperium Renascentis
Excerpted from A Saga Without Heroes Volume 2: The New Worlds, by Erik Haraldsson, ©2013 Nidaros University Press.
Used with permission.

It was a parade of unending victories.
In 1576 a military expedition authorized by King Olav invaded the Skraeling empire of the Incas, and forced them to make devastating territorial concessions that broke their power in the region forever.
eu3game2013-02-0922-35-39-77_zpsf30effe3.jpg

Many, many new colonial ventures set out from the Old World in the final decades of the sixteenth century, which would forever be known to historians as the Colonial Century.
In fact, some villages in Angland were entirely depopulated by those ventures, so much that the province of Jorvik's population fell to just ten thousand in the census of 1600.
And just as colonialism had its dark side, so did the state of the realm in the latter decades of that century.
eu3game2013-02-0922-43-21-43_zps07ad4184.jpg

With all those people fleeing the Old World for the new, the kingdom of Norway was destabilized. Bureaucratic records were rendered completely inaccurate in just days, wanted persons disappeared entirely from the law, it was chaos.
And so, Olav, the fifth king of Norway to be called so, did what his namesake did:
Destroyed his crown. On the first day of the 1580s, Olav was crowned Emperor of Norway and Folkesland in the magnificent cathedral at Nordfalgborg built by his grandfather, King Harald V, to celebrate his accession.
imagesqtbnANd9GcTf4fu77sl75DTU3OJa6ziQ5-aLor2gCWJddKEE-ICmWe2ExdvH_zps7be6d7cd.jpg

Nordfalgborg Cathedral in 2012

At first, it did not have much of an effect. A new crown and a new name did not bring down the great enemies of Norway, such as the Skotts or the confederacy of Skraeling tribes known as the Shawnee that was the only major barrier to expansion of the Norse colonies in North Folkesland. But it was a matter of great prestige. The Holy Roman Empire had finally died completely around the time Iustitia Regis was instituted, and the so-called Roman Empire of the east had long ago, in the fourteenth century become a theocracy let by Metropolitans, or Orthodox Church leaders, so Olav was the first Emperor in Europe in many years.
A few historians who enjoy resisting orthodox views claim this was one of the causes of the Jorsalske Revolution of 1591, but it is not likely.

In the early 1590s the Mamluk Sultanate of Egypt was engaged in a bitter war with the Zagwe dynasty of the Swahilli Sultanate (OOC: Who ever said that the Zagwes have a certain, painful doom?), and the Christian Norse inhabitants of the three provinces that made up Jorsal-land, Tyrus, Jorsal and Darum saw this as an oppurtunity to rejoin their mother country. They rose up in armed rebellion against the Sultan (who would soon lose much of Egypt to a rival), and occupied Jorsalaborg. When no troops bearing the crescent moon of Islam arrived in a year, all those being tied up in conflict with their fellow Muslims, the Proclamation of Jorsalaborg was issued by the leader of the rebellion, a Jorsal resident by the name of Edvard Pedersson, which stated that Darum, Jorsal, and Tyrus were once more provinces of the Norwegian Empire.
eu3game2013-02-1008-51-46-68_zps17becb5a.jpg

The final years of Olav V, (or Olav I to some who go by the reckoning of Emperors only) were relatively peaceful compared to his warlike grandfather's, and in 1598 he died, leaving the throne to the first Yngling in history to inherit an imperial crown, Olav's son Erik.

Erik's reign, was also quite peaceful, lasting thirty-two years of vague and short royal chronicle entries, until he died along with the 1620s, allowing his son, Sigurd, to be crowned at Nordfalgborg, the old, old capital of the Empire.
eu3game2013-02-1017-49-05-07_zps7de5c884.jpg

Sigurd didn't last very long, reigning seven years, dying of a dagger in his back.
Until recently it was not known who had planted the dagger in Sigurd's back, or who had sent him to do so, but certain papers dating from the 1630s discovered in 2011 by workers building the new Althing Hall in Jorvik shed a floodlight on Sigurd's assassination.

The papers have been identified as being written by Sigurd himself, and the experts called in to analyze them say that the papers are a war plan aimed at the complete destruction of the Sultanate of Portugal and most importantly, the conquest its colonies in Central and South Folkesland.

What confirms those papers as a possible cause of the murder is a bloodstain near which is written in Arabic letters: Ahestres.
Beware.

The Great and Bountiful Norwegian Empire? Surely, your supremacy is now unchallenged? :)An interesting note on which to leave the chapter - I look forward to seeing where that takes us.

The Great and Bountiful Norwegian Empire? Surely, your supremacy is now unchallenged? :)An interesting note on which to leave the chapter - I look forward to seeing where that takes us.
Unchallenged? No. Just look at the next chapter:ninja:
Seriously, this chapter was a bit boring and short (maybe it's good it was short, since it was boring) since, well, not much happened in-game in those years.
But:
Next on A Saga Without Heroes:
War! Revolution! And cheats that ensure my world domination!
Coming soon to an AAR near you (namely this one)!

Perhaps that's a bit misleading because first I'll probably be doing another Tale of the Norseoverse before then- stay tuned!