MEGA THREAD: For all Imperator Rome status discussions and latest news

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We just shouldn't let anything go to companies. Have too long let these companies do what they want by lying openly. If you accept that they do not keep their commitments without having clear communication, they will continue to do so. I have nothing against you, but I'm tired of seeing people accept what is unacceptable and try to make others accept it. If today you go back on imperator tomorrow you can forget all criticism if they stop CK3 when we haven't even reached the level of the 2nd or if victoria 3 turns out to be a disaster (which I don't want) and that they do the same to us. And I'm not talking about what could happen in the future on video games.
This is why monopolies are such a cancer for consumers.
You may call it "be taken for an idiot", but in reality it is "being taken for granted", because PDX holds us hostage, and there's effectively nothing we can do to get the message across besides whine or walk away from an entire genre of games we love.

Jesus, I hope Grey Eminence turns out to be a great success, so if anyone gets too fed up with this bs, they can just walk away from here.
Maybe then PDX might consider listening to their consumers from time to time.
Edit: and if you're not aware of what I'm talking about, you might like to check this, and maybe go to these youtube channels, maybe even the reddit page. Yes, I'll do free advertisement if that means PDX is getting some competition in this business.

PS. I do not speak of devs here, PDX has, in most cases, one of the most transparent developer teams in this industry, which is fantastic, but this issue in particular is above them in the corporate chain.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
In case you missed it, although it just in the thread above!!!

Official Word: Once a game goes into Legacy, it usually stays there unless a third party publisher either picks up the rights or there is a huge demand for the game that generates enough attention to get the Devs back into the mix. These are unlikely edge cases, but not impossible.

Reactions:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
It’s even disconcerting that the mega thread got massively ignored, and this little new thread finally got the official reply we had been waiting for (with the words we didn’t want to have to hear).

RIP Imperator :(

Reactions:
It’s even disconcerting that the mega thread got massively ignored, and this little new thread finally got the official reply we had been waiting for (with the words we didn’t want to have to hear).

RIP Imperator :(
Do you also find this suspicious? The big question is will he still answer us?

A game not being actively developed or legacy game is not a dead game.

Like Vic2 the game can enjoy a strong player base for many years with the help of mods (today Invictus published its latest DD).

I enjoy very much the game but I cannot make it commercially successful by my own. None of us can bring the thousands of players that will make PDS resume development.

I share the frustration but I will keep playing and enjoying the game. Who knows what the future will bring.

• 2Like
Reactions:

Like Vic2 the game can enjoy a strong player base for many years with the help of mods (today Invictus published its latest DD).

I enjoy very much the game but I cannot make it commercially successful by my own. None of us can bring the thousands of players that will make PDS resume development.

I share the frustration but I will keep playing and enjoying the game. Who knows what the future will bring.
Let me help you out - it's like that lesson in life where you have to "let it go" and if it was Love, it will come back one day.
However, don't spend the next 5 years checking this message to see if anyone has responded yet. "She is not answering the phone, and not calling you back."

There's plenty of fish in the sea....

• 1Like
Reactions:

That's very much true. The game will live on, even if it isn't with much of a playerbase. Hopefully, that'll convince the devs to come back, but even if they don't, I think it will still be a fun game to come back to if one wishes.

Reactions:
Let me help you out - it's like that lesson in life where you have to "let it go" and if it was Love, it will come back one day.
However, don't spend the next 5 years checking this message to see if anyone has responded yet. "She is not answering the phone, and not calling you back."

There's plenty of fish in the sea....
I get what you're saying, but paradox has a strangle hold on these type of games so it doesn't work.

Reactions:
I get what you're saying, but paradox has a strangle hold on these type of games so it doesn't work.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. In regards to brand loyalty we are what they call trapped customers/consumers. There are few developers creating "historical based grand strategy games" and even fewer of them that have the resources PDX has in their disposal.
I am not aware of any GSG set in antiquity that I could play as an alternative to Imperator (being better than IR that is). I know just of Field of Glory Empires that seems worst than I:R and two 4X types of games in the time period Imperium Greek wars and Old World. The former is from a small inde company and the later from a bigger one but is more akin to Civ (Babylonians, Assyrian, Persian, Egyptians, Carthaginian Greek and Roman empires all coexisting at the same time).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So, here's my very last comment on this thread (I promise, this is the LAST time I comment here in this specific message).

Buy at least one share of Paradox stock, especially if you reside in the United States.

With at least one share of stock registered in your name, you are then a "part owner" of Paradox Interactive, and per the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) you must be communicated with to receive proxies, and the ability to vote your shares for annual decisions tabled by the Board of Directors who make the really big decisions for Paradox.

And then what can you do, each year; year after year until you are no longer a shareholder?
- You can formally request that a Question is tabled at each Annual Meeting of shareholders, to ask whether further development for Imperator: Rome will be part of the upcoming fiscal year for the company.
Each Annual Meeting has this accommodation in the fine print that no one hardly ever reads, and there is a process to ensure your Question(s) are submitted for consideration to come up at the Annual Meeting. Some public companies even go as far as to hold an open Q&A from shareholders, but I highly doubt Paradox allows that to occur in the USA.

If you want even more control of what's tabled for the Board of Directors, or even to leverage your way into the Board itself, you need to have enough capitol to buy over 5% of the company. Per SEC rules in USA, any owner of a public company of 5% or more of the public stock, must be declared with an SEC form. It reveals to the public of such an amount of interest held in a public company. Some activist investors out there use their money and leverage to change companies, get the CEO fired, remove all Board members and take over everything, but unless you're a Billionaire this is probably not happening.

One problem with my advice here, is that Paradox exists on our US Stock Market but is headquartered outside the USA, so some or all of my advice here may be superseded by Sweden's laws for Public Companies. However, for US-based investors, there may be an angle to play for a US located subsidiary of the company.

Good luck out there. I will exit here and only rarely come into the I:R forum, and won't at all revisit this specific MEGA THREAD again (which in itself does sound a bit corporate, don't you think?).

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
i still believe there are plans about it when those are the official words then why telling the 2 dudes which were playing ck3 something completly different they dont say that this game will be developed but they dont even say that this game will not be developed again
I wouldn't read too much into that "statement" of said streamers. They were confronted unexpected with a topic neither being their area of responsibility nor inside their compentences to say something about...while streaming a different game. I agree that their answer can be perceived as not being very respectful in the ears of the IR fan community - but I don't believe that this was their intention. They tried to say something (in their perception in that moment) "funny" without going into deep or making a statement then aren't qualified/allowed to...as there only other option would have been probably just ignoring the question bringing the topic on table in that stream (which could have been received as "rude" as well)

Reactions:
I would also like to believe that it is not so but since they have said it officially we should be not expecting anything. They mentioned that only in very very rare instances would a legacy game (and unfortunately imperator is considered so) get new content.

Reactions:
The management style of Fredrik Wester and PDX Is not one to stick their head in the sand.
Lost. Everyone at Paradox has been aware of Imperator's discontinued development (for a while), yet no one has seen fit to tell players about it in over a year.
The COVID-19 has once again been very useful to carry the responsibility.
It remains to be seen now, without COVID-19, who would bear the responsibility for justifying the cessation of development.

At least that has the merit of demonstrating that paradox is as cowardly as other companies when it comes to facing up to its mistakes. But there's always a good culprit, and COVID-19 came at exactly the right time. Luck, no?

Reactions:
if they would at least throw out a final bugfix so that you can play the game without any problems, then they would at least restore a part of their honor even if it wasn't enough to get me back into a pdx game

in the current status there are still many culture bugs and you can't even reach all the steam achievements because for a few the AI has to react before you can do anything

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lost. Everyone at Paradox has been aware of Imperator's discontinued development (for a while), yet no one has seen fit to tell players about it in over a year.
The COVID-19 has once again been very useful to carry the responsibility.
It remains to be seen now, without COVID-19, who would bear the responsibility for justifying the cessation of development.

At least that has the merit of demonstrating that paradox is as cowardly as other companies when it comes to facing up to its mistakes. But there's always a good culprit, and COVID-19 came at exactly the right time. Luck, no?
My sentence was more a taunt than anything else. As everyone here, I wanted to know what the company intentions were. I do not think their decision is wrong, even if I do not like it.

I do agree that their communication about I:R's fate has been lacking. I:R being shelved is not a mistake, but It could have been explained much better.

EDIT: without being written, the agreement that a game would be developed years after release has been changed. Now, we all know that PDS will at least develop the game for 2 years before shelving it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
if they would at least throw out a final bugfix so that you can play the game without any problems, then they would at least restore a part of their honor even if it wasn't enough to get me back into a pdx game

in the current status there are still many culture bugs and you can't even reach all the steam achievements because for a few the AI has to react before you can do anything
Expect nothing more paradox on imperator. There will never be a bug fix. They are already unable to recognize that they could have warned us long before, so from there to put money to correct the bugs of a game that they have buried I think you can dream.

Now after this nice paradox scam, I think we have to worry about other games. Victoria 3 is coming, what will be her level? CK3 still doesn't have half of the content of CK2 after 2 years (non-existent nomads, non-existent secret society, no different gameplay between catholic, muslim, indian, no diseases, no merchant republics and I must forget some.)

In any case, we can thank the COVID which has helped crooks of all kinds.

• 1Like
Reactions:
without being written, the agreement that a game would be developed years after release has been changed. Now, we all know that PDS will at least develop the game for 2 years before shelving it.
This. I didn't blink at the early state of Imperator because I expected there would be years of patches to polish it. 2.0 seemed to indicate it would be so. And then there was a year of silence before Paradox finally announced there is no plan for more.

Last edited:
Reactions: