• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
At the very least they should not have a level that is equal to pacifist AI.

And yes there are wars that aren't coded into the system, but we also don't make them complete pacifists. That's completely unhistoric and in this case the end of borders does not justify the means.

Here is the current AGCEEP 1.38 peacful AI. I'm posting this because there are some things that we really should be dividing into to make multiple peaceful AIs.
Code:
#
# No preferred areas at all. Default AI does not colonize.
continent = { }
region = { }

# The amount of provinces we try to colonize at the same time
expansion = 0

# % of the time we prefer to establish a tradingpost if both are good.
tradingpost = 20

# Bonus for areas to establish colonies adjacent to previous ones.
neighbour = 10

# Bonus/Penalty for establish colonies adjacent to other countries.
enemies = -1
Since for most part the majors are the only ones colonizing this is okay, but maybe later on we might need to make a seperate peaceful colonizing AI incase one of the majors fails to form (and while i think we should strive to have them form often, having them ocasionally not is imo a good thing because no one wants to play a game where there are never any surprises.
Code:
# 100 = max trader rate, lesser means slower focus on sending a trader.
traders = 100

# 100 = Total monopolist, will refuse trade as much as possible.
monopoly = 25
These two are probably the most signigant that need to be made seperate. There are some countries that just suck at sending out merchants and will always get gobbled up. Others not so. FE: Rejputana with all land. aristocratic, completely decentralized, mercantilist, narrowminded nation. Everyrhing they can to actually hurt them at trading, and much to hurt them on technology gain so they can be more trade competative. There are other similar nations and having those settings hurts them and isn't historic. Our idea is after all to make the AI better while still being historic and within certain realms of limitations. Making all peaceful ones send out merchants like crazy is bad if they'll just be competed out (and India's COT have a lot of competition).

Generally though peaceful colonizers are also good a trade.
Code:
# 100 = Total warmonger, 0 = absolute pacifist
war = 0
ferocity = no
Well if your pacifist, this doesn't need to be changed.
Code:
#if possible we WILL go counter reform
counterreform = no
Not sure. In some cases I think it might be appropriate.
Code:
#Which countries to conquer if possible. (to guide nation historically)
combat = { }

#How important is it to gather troops close to base
base = 5.9
#How important is it to be as close to target position when gathering troops.
front = 0.1

#Evaluation factors for conquer plans 
conquer = 
{ 
	# multiply enemy province value 
	enemy = 0.5 
	# multiplying supply factor 
	supply = 0.1 
	# factor for distance to not owner provinces 
	distance = 0.1 
	# factor for owned provines 
	owner = 5.9 
	# Multiplier for provinces not in supply. 
	notsupply = 1.0 
	# Multiplying the base constant for conquer. 
	base = 1.0 
} 

# Modifiers for garrison plans 
garrison = 
{ 
	fortress = 5.9 
	strategic = 0.1 
	size = 5.9 
	supply = 9.0 
	war = 0.1 
}
This can also be the same.

Bottom line is there should be atleast 3 different peaceful AIs, peaceful merchants, peaceful non-merchants and peaceful colonizers.

Ok it seems that setting owner to -100, atleast when you have allies, will always give your allies the province rather than yourself, even if your army is much larger, assuming of course they do not have a -100 owner rating either.

3 tests with the war = 100 and under conquer, owner = -100. Everything else was the same as peaceful.ai for Rajputana.

2 tests with warmonger =100 and everything else like peaceful.ai for Rajputana.

In all cases war was declared within just over 1 year by Rajputana and Malwa, its ally always jumped in. In the first case, Malwa occupied all provinces, in the second, Rejputana did.

Last edited:
Jinnai said:
In all cases war was declared within just over 1 year by Rajputana and Malwa, its ally always jumped in. In the first case, Malwa occupied all provinces, in the second, Rejputana did.

Side note but I'm for removing this alliance, it doesn't make sense and Rajputana rarely needs an ally to ensure its survival.

Jinnai said:
Ok it seems that setting owner to -100, atleast when you have allies, will always give your allies the province rather than yourself, even if your army is much larger, assuming of course they do not have a -100 owner rating either.
Have you read IDLF AI Bible? Owner means how worried a country should be by the enemy occupiying his provinces. This value should be low for big countries and higher but not very high for small countries. If you think that it does something different or that it works opposite to that you will have to prove it rather conclusively.
Other than that could you specify what you are actually saying? That both armies are besieging the same province and this decides who leads the siege? or that at the peace deal the decision about who gets the provinces is changed? or that one of the armies abandons the siege before it is completed?
You are also aware that the size of the army has nothing to do with who leads the siege.

Fodoron said:
Other than that could you specify what you are actually saying? That both armies are besieging the same province and this decides who leads the siege? or that at the peace deal the decision about who gets the provinces is changed? or that one of the armies abandons the siege before it is completed?
It means that those with higher, especially signifigantly higher owner always get the seiges, that they rarely start seiging other provinces unless someone else is there already who can already take the province otherwise, and if they do, it will essentially be handed over to anyone who comes along. They also are not ones to press for provinces in peace deals.

They still will beseige their own provinces that are taken and will battle the troops. They will also fight enemy troops more. They also seem to keep troops in an enemy province if they are too small to beseige it.

I will have to check at least what happens when there are no allies.

Jinnai said:
It means that those with higher, especially signifigantly higher owner always get the seiges, that they rarely start seiging other provinces unless someone else is there already who can already take the province otherwise, and if they do, it will essentially be handed over to anyone who comes along. They also are not ones to press for provinces in peace deals.
That is exactly the opposite of what everybody (Daywalker, IDLF, AI explanations by Paradox) have told us. High value should make a nation turn back home when one of her provinces is under siege. Before you can convince me of that you are going to need a lot more evidence than a few observations over a perticular set-up. Perhaps a controlled scenario with several nations of the same size and power, starting with all of them with the same AI and same owner value, and then variations of that, and big enough numbers to rule out statistical bias.
IDLF and Daywalker have tested AIs extensively, and their conclusions are that drastic values for most of the items in the AI can be very damaging to nations.
I am also concerned about having nations starting wars that they cannot possibly win, if you are right in this owner thing.

Fodoron said:
That is exactly the opposite of what everybody (Daywalker, IDLF, AI explanations by Paradox) have told us. High value should make a nation turn back home when one of her provinces is under siege. Before you can convince me of that you are going to need a lot more evidence than a few observations over a perticular set-up. Perhaps a controlled scenario with several nations of the same size and power, starting with all of them with the same AI and same owner value, and then variations of that, and big enough numbers to rule out statistical bias.
IDLF and Daywalker have tested AIs extensively, and their conclusions are that drastic values for most of the items in the AI can be very damaging to nations.
I am also concerned about having nations starting wars that they cannot possibly win, if you are right in this owner thing.
Damn stupid me...

I just went back to ai i modified...it was enemy i modified. And yes, owner would make sense as to what you mentioned.

Sorry for that. I know it can make things confusing. By setting enemy to that level it is what does that kind of situation.

Jinnai said:
Here is the current AGCEEP 1.38 peacful AI. I'm posting this because there are some things that we really should be dividing into to make multiple peaceful AIs.
Code:
#
# No preferred areas at all. Default AI does not colonize.
continent = { }
region = { }
[/QUOTE]

settings you should be using for:
peaceful merchants (PM)
peaceful non merchants (PNM)
peaceful colonists (PC)

PM and PNM, leave above as is, PC depends on if they are european.

[QUOTE]# The amount of provinces we try to colonize at the same time
expansion = 0[/QUOTE]

PM= 0
PNM = 0
PC = 3

[QUOTE]
# % of the time we prefer to establish a tradingpost if both are good.
tradingpost = 20[/QUOTE]
PM = 0
pnm = 0
pC = 10

[QUOTE]# Bonus for areas to establish colonies adjacent to previous ones.
neighbour = 10

# Bonus/Penalty for establish colonies adjacent to other countries.
enemies = -1
Since for most part the majors are the only ones colonizing this is okay, but maybe later on we might need to make a seperate peaceful colonizing AI incase one of the majors fails to form (and while i think we should strive to have them form often, having them ocasionally not is imo a good thing because no one wants to play a game where there are never any surprises.

zero for all 3

Code:
# 100 = max trader rate, lesser means slower focus on sending a trader.
traders = 100[/QUOTE]

PM = 100
PNM = 0
PC = 50

[QUOTE]# 100 = Total monopolist, will refuse trade as much as possible.
monopoly = 25
These two are probably the most signigant that need to be made seperate. There are some countries that just suck at sending out merchants and will always get gobbled up. Others not so. FE: Rejputana with all land. aristocratic, completely decentralized, mercantilist, narrowminded nation. Everyrhing they can to actually hurt them at trading, and much to hurt them on technology gain so they can be more trade competative. There are other similar nations and having those settings hurts them and isn't historic. Our idea is after all to make the AI better while still being historic and within certain realms of limitations. Making all peaceful ones send out merchants like crazy is bad if they'll just be competed out (and India's COT have a lot of competition).

Generally though peaceful colonizers are also good a trade.

zero for all, as you do not want embargo's during peacetimes.

Code:
# 100 = Total warmonger, 0 = absolute pacifist
war = 0
ferocity = no
Well if your pacifist, this doesn't need to be changed.
Code:
#if possible we WILL go counter reform
counterreform = no
Not sure. In some cases I think it might be appropriate.

zero for all

Code:
#Which countries to conquer if possible. (to guide nation historically)
combat = { }[/QUOTE]

depends on nation, you need to have a concensus on this.

[QUOTE]#How important is it to gather troops close to base
base = 5.9
#How important is it to be as close to target position when gathering troops.
front = 0.1[/QUOTE]

these 2 figues divided into each other to give a percentage of which trrops remain home and which % go to the front .
the above reads as 2% go to the front.

[QUOTE]#Evaluation factors for conquer plans 
conquer = 
{ 
	# multiply enemy province value 
	enemy = 0.5 [/QUOTE]

pm = 1.0
pnm = 1.0 
pc = 9.0

[QUOTE]# multiplying supply factor 
	supply = 0.1 [/QUOTE]

as is for all 3 

[QUOTE]# factor for distance to not owner provinces 
	distance = 0.1 [/QUOTE]

pm = 1.0
pnm = 1.0
pc = 9.0

[QUOTE]# factor for owned provines 
	owner = 5.9 [/QUOTE]

i prefer a low setting as it keeps the ai seigeing theenemy province and not be concerned while the enemy is seiging its provinces, basically a speed seige, if they are first the nation survives if not annexation.
I do not like high numbers due to the fact that the seige will be lifted so that troops can go home to releive its base province. this never gives minors a chance to survive.

[QUOTE]# Multiplier for provinces not in supply. 
	notsupply = 1.0 [/QUOTE]

as is 

[QUOTE]# Multiplying the base constant for conquer. 
	base = 1.0 
} [/QUOTE]

15.0 for all 3

[QUOTE]# Modifiers for garrison plans 
garrison = 
{ 
	fortress = 5.9 
	strategic = 0.1 
	size = 5.9 
	supply = 9.0 
	war = 0.1 
}
This can also be the same.

remain as is

Bottom line is there should be atleast 3 different peaceful AIs, peaceful merchants, peaceful non-merchants and peaceful colonizers.

these above are the best settings although a list of nations for each category above would have been useful.

I appreciate your suggestions Toio, and coincide with most of them. But I think we are going to need more categories.
small/medium countries, large countries and transoceanic countries are going to need different values for distance. With a low value colonial wars suck, while small/medium countries are better off fighting close to home.
However I am curious as why would you recommend such a high value (15) for conquer = { base = 15.0 }

Ai modding is tedious, but there are some quick obvious fixes we could apply. As pointed out above, the revolt file entries often lack specified AI entries. Small states that are released then get the default AI, which has war 10. If they are released or have revolted, they are weak and small, and should get the peaceful.ai file.