• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MasterBLB

Captain
1 Badges
Apr 30, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
Greetings mates

I've just released v0.76 of Mech Designer. You can find the lates installer and changelog in my subforum - link in my subscription below.

Changes:
- Changed license for commercial use of the Mech Designer (is no longer free).
- Added donation link to the main window of the application.
- Added button in "Tags and Description" which allows to set mech part cost as percentage of total mech cost. If set to X%, the mech part cost is updated automatically when total cost is changed.
- Redesigned New Mech dialog, now allows to select and create several new mechs simultaneously. Check documentation for details.
- Completely overhauled look of Free Tonnage dialog, its functionality remained same.
- "Unit tags" in "Tags and Description" no longer warp words, instead shows horizontal scroll bar. Also, its width has been slightly increased.
- Added information about minimum, optimum and maximum range of a weapon both in add new equipment window and equipment tooltip.
- Added new installation option - Example mechs designs. These are put into <MD install dir>\Example designs, and contain few designs for new players for easier learning how to create own ones.
- Improved documentation: mentioned about possibility to switch to floating mode for new equipment window, and updated chapter about New Mech dialog.
- Fixed bug about asterisk not being cleared when a mech design was saved in .json format.
- Fixed bug about incorrect positioning of Free Tonnage dialog when "Tags and Description" was expanded.

KNOWN ISSUES:

Same as in 0.74.

EDIT:
@Havamal @stjobe pls move this thread into Mech Designer subforum, as I just released update 0.76.1

Last edited:
Thank you!

By the way, I have to add x0.125 armor (due to lower armor point weight) to all machs and viecles. And change dafault armor distribution weights for "auto armor" function.
Is it possible to "feed" MechStatisticsConstants.json to Mech Designer and automaticly fill empty tonnage with armor? (Sorry for mistakes man, I am doing my best :) )

Well, in fact I'm using MechStatisticConstants.json to read:
Code:
    "CBILLS_PER_ARMOR_POINT" : 625.0,
    "TONNAGE_PER_ARMOR_POINT" : 0.0125,
    "ARMOR_PER_STEP" : 5.0,
but I don't know what "auto armor" function you have in mind; there isn't such function in Mech Designer. Please explain?

Well, "auto-fill with armor" sounds better. Same function as in-game mech bay most right button. It fills all not used weight with armor. (Up to chassis maximum. Using these weight coefficients:
Code:
    "ArmorAllocationRatioHead" : 0.0953,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioCenterTorso" : 0.1461,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioCenterTorsoRear" : 0.0682,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioLeftTorso" : 0.1206,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioLeftTorsoRear" : 0.0309,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioRightTorso" : 0.1206,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioRightTorsoRear" : 0.0309,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioLeftArm" : 0.0868,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioRightArm" : 0.0868,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioLeftLeg" : 0.1059,
    "ArmorAllocationRatioRightLeg" : 0.1059

Poor name, "Use up tonnage" sounds better. Btw, what is order of granting armor? The code presented looks well, poor - I'd never increase rear armor before strengthening up front armor and legs.

Sticks and stones can break my bones... I mean: this function name is irrelevant. The shield symbol is enough.

Distribution weights values were produced by hit tables averaging. Keep in mind: hit tables were modified by my mod, and I am not sure what probability values for each side will be the best. (Probability of attack from the rear side, for example). Maybe you can give me advice about armor distribution weight coefficients?

Sticks and stones can break my bones... I mean: this function name is irrelevant. The shield symbol is enough.
Well, it starts to matter when you have to fit the inscription on a GUI button having limited space, and you don't have consistent icon set.

Distribution weights values were produced by hit tables averaging. Keep in mind: hit tables were modified by my mod, and I am not sure what probability values for each side will be the best. (Probability of attack from the rear side, for example). Maybe you can give me advice about armor distribution weight coefficients?
I don't know too. Well, had similar issue when I was developing Free Tonnage dialog, but from the other end - armor from what locations should be taken first. And still what I got is not 100% optimal.
Also, while designing mechs, both in Mechwarrior Online, and in Battletech I never came across the issue I have spare tonnage I don't know to use for something else than armor - this makes considerations even harder.

Making friends Master BLB? Now, that you have gotten this far with the Mech Designer. Do my other requests, that I made awhile back, make sense yet? Like a chassis file generation and editor? Or using this code to make a vehicle editor?

So far, I have not had a ton of time to test, as I have been very busy running my business. It seems that the bugs are gone, overall. I will continue to try and break it though! Keep up the good work!

Both features are out of scope.
However, if more peoples will ask, and moreover will do some solid donation then who knows...

Btw, I made some research about ladouts for vehicles some time ago, and seems easier than mechs.