• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MasterBLB

Captain
1 Badges
Apr 30, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
Greetings mates

I've just released v0.75 of Mech Designer. You can find the lates installer and changelog in my subforum - link in my subscription below.

Changes:
- Added asterisk * in the mech design window title and Main Menu > Windows which marks a loadout has been changed but not saved
- Improved installation proces; now the installers edits setup.ini, and fills jsonDataPath key which results the application is immediately ready to work, without need to navigate to Battletech.exe second time
- Added association of .mechDesign files with the application, so you can open them with shell commands like mouse double click, or shell context menu.
NOTE:
This works with mechdef.json files too, though you need to use context menu "Open with..." then choose Mech Designer.

KNOWN ISSUES:
Same as in 0.74

Is there a download link anywhere?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mech-designer-open-beta-release.1179777/

dl link.PNG

Your DL link is a bit off.
@MasterBLB fyi your signature link goes to the subforum itself atm, not to the post with the file.

Might be confusing some community members who'd be otherwise interested.

I meant that it didn't take us to the thread where the Download was.

Ok there must be something residual from an old MD installation residing in the registry, that is preventing my .75 from letting me know stuff is being saved. After I reinstalled for the 3rd time, and rebooted in between. Even though the designs are saving in .json format when I hit save. The asterisk does not go away and of course the warning pops up every time.

I thought that it might be due to the .json format. but it is not. I also get this issue when saving in MD format. Maybe it is a .dll issue I do not know, but I have followed the instructions explicitly.

What information exactly do you need from me, to determine the issue.

If you can point me to the place in the registry etc, I will gladly show you.

BTW the program is working perfectly other than that issue.

Fully patched vanilla no mods on GoG. I also had an old installation - 0.71 or 0.72 I believe. Installed over it, all options selected, got this error on startup -

Unsuccessful parsing JSON file:

C:/Program Files (x86)/GOG Galaxy/Games/BATTLETECH/BattleTech_Data/StreamingAssets/data/mech/mechdef_panther_PNT-9R.json

Mech Designer might not work properly, or at all. Errors:

offset 213 : missing value separator

If I go to load say, an Urbanmech R90, I get this error -

Unsuccessful parsing JSON file:

C:/Program Files (x86)/GOG Galaxy/Games/BATTLETECH/BattleTech_Data/StreamingAssets/data/constants/CombatGameConstants.json

Mech Designer might not work properly, or at all. Errors:

offset 49805 : object is missing after a comma

It then loads the mech after clicking ok. Don't have the same message for some future loads, ie GRF-1N, other urbies, etc. Panther PNT-9R doesn't show up on list for example either.

When I installed 0.75 over it, I had to click yes on overwriting a bunch of files, but otherwise installed fine. Suggestion - yes to all option.

After the above errors, I uninstalled, then re-installed, same issue. I then repeated the process after verifying my GoG Battletech installation (1.6.2.552R), de-selected the 2 expansions, and re-installed. Same error message on startup as the first quote above. Went to open the Urbie -R60, got the second quote again up above. Then it opened the Urbie just fine. Any ideas? Did not have this error before that I recall.

@brajalle

I highly recommend that you make a duplicate copy of your Battetech game, it will be a non working copy. Use that for your editing of battle mechs. plus if you use mods, you can install the needed items into that install. Be very aware of what you put on a mech, if it comes from an outside mod, then that mod will always have to be active, otherwise the mech bay and the mission load out will not work, if that mod is not present and you have that mech in you bay.

By having a "dummy game" installed you won't have to worry about messing anything up. You can then point your Mech Designer to the Dummy install and it will never break due to a game update.

@brajalle
You're experiencing messed up by HBS in patch 1.6 .json files for Panther and CombatGameConstants. Go to my download install thread (see my subscription) and download corrected versions, then replace wrong ones (remember to remove .txt suffix). Mech Designer is fine, it's the game data broken.
CombatGameConstants
Panther 9R

@Xeryx
Registry has nothing common with the issue, as till v0.75 the application didn't even used it, and now registry is used only for making associations of MD file format with Mech Designer.
A data I need from you is exact description, step by step since launching Mech Designer, what you do to experience the error. Also, if you're loading/saving a file, then include the file too.

Last edited:
"Registry has nothing common with the issue, as till v0.75 the application didn't even used it, and now registry is used only for making associations of MD file format with Mech Designer.
A data I need from you is exact description, step by step since launching Mech Designer, what you do to experience the error. Also, if you're loading/saving a file, then include the file too."

Ok gotcha.

1) The first thing I do is install the mod, into a new directory.
2) I have it install all modules into my dummy game directory (which it seems to remember where that is each time I install it)
3) I have it overwrite the mech files, even though I don't need to, as it has been done before.
4) I add in the advanced=1 into the settings file
5) Then I run the program, I only use .jsons when I edit mechs so I always change to that file type.
6) I can save the files to either format and I can see that the files are saving, by watching the time stamps.
7)The asterisk does not change when saved, and the warning always pops up when I close the mech, even after saving.

I would be more than happy to send you my screen shots explaining, just pm me your email.

I will try and post some images here
Here is the install
391-1562513145-2090134197.png

Here is where I save it, because I loaded a .json, it will save a .json no need to export
391-1562512956-761642506.png

391-1562512751-1592424866.png

As you can see by the highlighted area, the file has been saved but asterisk is not removed

Last edited: