• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will have to do so from my home box where I'm actually allowed to use the computer. Grr.

Just a headsup, @MasterBLB , a lot of stuff changed in CombatGameConstants.json this update, so if MechDesigner is still having troubles with that file, you might need to release a new fixed version that takes into account all the changes, rather than using 1.7's fixed file. You've probably already realised, but I thought better to be safe than sorry!

Could you be so kind @RecklessCaution and attach current, newest version of CombatGameConstants.json? I have only prerelease beta Heavy Metal, so file from that revision might not be most recent.
That is, if Mech Designer reports unsuccessful parsing of the file.

Last edited:
No worries. Oh, while we're at it, you know that all the mechs and weapons from all the DLCs, both new and old, are now up on [Mod edit:no github]? It's part of HBS' official mod support. Dunno what process you were using to get the jsons before, but this might speed it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
@MasterBLB Hi! Nice piece of software you've written. I have a couple questions I didn't see answered anywhere. 1) I saw that we should use advanced mode to do our saves. What is it and how do we use it? I didn't see it in the menu. 2) I take it that our creations can be used in the game. Are they used only by us, or does the game use them also? Noobish questions I know, but I'm new to modding. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm also getting the error
Following componentDefId has not been found:

Weapon_Inferno_Inferno2_2-Marklin_Mini

Weapon_PPC_PPCSnub_2-Donal

Weapon_Autocannon_UAC20_0-STOCK

Weapon_PPC_PPCSnub_2-Magna

Weapon_Autocannon_UAC5_2-Mydron

Weapon_Autocannon_UAC5_0-STOCK

when I start the software. I have both DLCs the software calls for and I should be getting Heavy Metal tomorrow

Last edited:
@Bushmaster
I saw that we should use advanced mode to do our saves. What is it and how do we use it? I didn't see it in the menu.
Advanced mode for saving is required only if you wish export a design to mechdef<mechtype>.json format; you don't need it to save mechs designs in native format. How to enable the advanced mode it written in manual.

2) I take it that our creations can be used in the game. Are they used only by us, or does the game use them also? Noobish questions I know, but I'm new to modding. Thanks!
Naay, Battletech does not use these mechs, the tool is just for easier tinkering mechs. However...
If you'd replace an original mechdef file in game data folder by export to json, say for Hunchback 4P, then I suppose such mech loadout will be present in game. @Amechwarrior , am I right?

EDIT: I'm also getting the erro
You get the errors because data files with these weapons are not in game data folder. I'll have to release update 0.78 for Mech Designer which will contain all the missing data, but that'll be within 2 weeks.
However, you can manually the files to <your battletech folder>\\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data from this repository. You'll need weapon, but also ammobox data for them (LBX and Infernos)

Last edited:
Advanced mode for saving is required only if you wish export a design to mechdef<mechtype>.json format; you don't need it to save mechs designs in native format. How to enable the advanced mode it written in manual.

You sir are my personal hero of the day! I want to rebalance some stuff and optimize stock loadouts accordingly, but was just too lazy to do it by hand, especially calculating armor is a pain. Exporting to json is just what I was looking for!

You sir are my personal hero of the day! I want to rebalance some stuff and optimize stock loadouts accordingly, but was just too lazy to do it by hand, especially calculating armor is a pain. Exporting to json is just what I was looking for!
Well, import/export from/to .json wasn't exactly my idea while drawing core of the application, these functions were added thanks to community's and closed betatesters' feedback.
Btw @44th MAC|Bonsai don't miss in advanced mode you can load loadouts directly from .json files ^^

Mates, how do you find version 0.78?

I'm still a bit short on time, but after switching to advanced mode, I really enjoy your programm. I did some extensive weapon rebalancing and started to rework stock loadouts, it's really, really helpful!

Thanks for all the work you put in there!

Hey MasterBLB, Glad to see all is going good with your development. I have been away for awhile, and refused for quite awhile to buy the Light-metal DLC. Man what a mess it made of my mod. Have you played around with adding any kind of different ammunition to the base game as it should be possible due to the enums libraries. I will go do some searching too.