• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I find myself less concerned with it early game, when the mechs and mechwarriors are both relatively easy to replace. The decisions get harder as the mechwarriors start gaining experience and representing a considerable investment in time and missions. If I'm managing my company's finances right, it becomes easier to replace the mech (but watching a valued mech like a Marauder or a Highlander 733B going down is still rough.)

Ohoh, with Mech Destruction/Lethality on (which I always do, personal preference), as soon as the odds don't seem to favour me, then it's time to punch out, regardless of what mech and/or pilot.

I confess, at the start it wasn't easy to swallow the pride and clicking on the ejection/retreat button, but better a wounded ego than the setbacks (not to mention occasionally on some games the likely bankruptcy) caused by losing a single mech...

Ohoh, with Mech Destruction/Lethality on (which I always do, personal preference), as soon as the odds don't seem to favour me, then it's time to punch out, regardless of what mech and/or pilot.

I confess, at the start it wasn't easy to swallow the pride and clicking on the ejection/retreat button, but better a wounded ego than the setbacks (not to mention occasionally on some games the likely bankruptcy) caused by losing a single mech...
There has to be some risk of losing or a game is not fun. Those first hundred days though, can hurt.

And now, suddenly, thinking of seeing if anyone's come up with "Nuzlocke for BattleTech" rules...
  1. Mech destruction, pilot lethality, and ironman must be turned on, all other difficulty modifiers are optional, but must be disclosed when reporting results
  2. All mechs must be kept stock. Weapons may be switched for + rated versions, but may not be switched for lostech version (AC/2+ for an AC/2, but no UAC/2s)
  3. Mechs may be completed either through salvage or purchasing, but only one copy of each chassis may be completed. Once a chassis is completed, all other parts of that chassis, regardless of variant must be immediately scrapped (not sold) and you may not willingly accept parts of that chassis again. If you get parts of a chassis which you already have through random salvage or other means beyond your control (flashpoint loot), you must immediately scrap those pieces.
  4. If a mech is ever destroyed, you may not reassemble that chassis.
  5. Each mechwarrior death reduces the total number of mechwarriors you are allowed in your barracks. If you have no barracks upgrades and 2 pilots killed, then your maximum number of mechwarrriors is only 6.
Campaign version - Take all priority missions as soon as they are available with no delays for repairs/healing and no missions in between. Challenge is won when the campaign is complete.

Career version - You must always drop with a lance equal to or lower in tonnage than the mission's skull rating. You may not revisit a system after leaving. Challenge is won by completing 1,200 days within the career.

1. Mech destruction, pilot lethality, and ironman must be turned on, all other difficulty modifiers are optional, but must be disclosed when reporting results
  2. All mechs must be kept stock. Weapons may be switched for + rated versions, but may not be switched for lostech version (AC/2+ for an AC/2, but no UAC/2s)
  3. Mechs may be completed either through salvage or purchasing, but only one copy of each chassis may be completed. Once a chassis is completed, all other parts of that chassis, regardless of variant must be immediately scrapped (not sold) and you may not willingly accept parts of that chassis again. If you get parts of a chassis which you already have through random salvage or other means beyond your control (flashpoint loot), you must immediately scrap those pieces.
  4. If a mech is ever destroyed, you may not reassemble that chassis.
  5. Each mechwarrior death reduces the total number of mechwarriors you are allowed in your barracks. If you have no barracks upgrades and 2 pilots killed, then your maximum number of mechwarrriors is only 6.
Campaign version - Take all priority missions as soon as they are available with no delays for repairs/healing and no missions in between. Challenge is won when the campaign is complete.

Career version - You must always drop with a lance equal to or lower in tonnage than the mission's skull rating. You may not revisit a system after leaving. Challenge is won by completing 1,200 days within the career.

.... I might actually make an attempt at this once my "game queue" clears out. Not REALLY joking...

• 1Like
Reactions:
There has to be some risk of losing or a game is not fun. Those first hundred days though, can hurt.

Yup, the harsher part is the start; once you start fielding your own favourite mechs with skilled pilots, there is an apparent ease into success... Until complacency sets and one takes a riskier contract and gets nearly run-over, that is. ;)
Then it's back to 3-star contracts and again into the grind, until accepting the wisdom of ejecting and/or retreating when Darius' intel wasn't. :p

Then it's back to 3-star contracts and again into the grind, until accepting the wisdom of ejecting and/or retreating when Darius' intel wasn't. :p

Exactly. I just ran a two skull mission in which the OP4 had a heavy, 5 mediums and 3 lights and my starting point forced me to make my way through all of them. My commander had some words with Darius about that one.

Darius needs to remember...'Information is Ammunition'. We don't need to go into combat with empty bins.

Adam Steiner would be sad.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
If you are playing with "Mech Destruction" enabled, you have to be careful with your Metal. However, a Mechwarrior takes a lot of missions to get really skilled. I tend to look out for my Mechawarriors as I would if I was role playing with friends. It is fun for me that way.

This is even more brutal if you are playing with mods that add in pilot fatigue. My current stable is 16 mechwarriors that can only take 1 mission and have to rest a few days in between. So I can basically take 4 missions in 1 day with 4 different warriors each time, then advance time 3-4 days and repeat the process. So it takes me even longer to skill up my mechwarriors to elite status. I also play with XP gains set as low as possible.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: