• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part VI
Part VI

"At the time though I swallowed my doubts and got on with my work, an attitude helped by the growing hope in the department. Indeed as the Winter turned to Spring I admit my faith in my superiors grew, the naval blockade was taking a terrible toll on the Germans. The Marine Nationale had outdone themselves; the North Sea was studded with the wrecks of German cruisers. Even the English had chipped in, proving their claims about conquering the U-boat menace had not been an idle boast."

They heavy sighed and shifted slightly, his boredom overflowing and expressing itself physically. Why did the self absorbed ramblings of an old civil servant matter so much? Sneaking a glance at his boss he saw the usual blank mask, the features showing neither rapt attention nor bored disinterest. Mentally shrugging to himself he returned his attention to the tape, hoping the old man would hurry up and finally say something interesting.

"It seemed too good to be true, I knew that, yet I hoped the blockade would work, that Germany could be starved out without recourse to bloody combat. The naive optimism of youth! I was brought back down to earth by the shock of Norway. By the farce of Norway."

If it seems to good to be true ...

The Marine Nationale had outdone themselves; the North Sea was studded with the wrecks of German cruisers. Even the English had chipped in, proving their claims about conquering the U-boat menace had not been an idle boast.

That must've been a tough couple lines for you to write. ;)

Ah, Norway. I wonder if the Allies will have "equipment issues" ...

Ahh, blockade. A believer in Liddell Hart and the British way of warfare then. ;)

stnylan - If it seems to good to be true there will always be some who think it is true. How else can any conman stay in business? ;)

Enewald - Don't confuse OTL with what's happening here my friend. Similar but different is all I'll say.

DonnieBaseball - It did hurt my very soul, but I fought through in the end. :shudder: :D

Myth - More a believer in the 'How can we win with as few casualties as possible' school. As I understand it French strategy was worked out on the basis of how to win without going on the offensive, thus blockade is the only option.

And now for an update.

Part VII
Part VII

"I should, I suppose, mention Denmark, but what is there to say? I had on my desk a large message tray into which the news of the night's events was deposited, the most recent events naturally on top. In that way I read of the capitulation before I even knew war had come to Denmark, much like the majority of the Danish public I suppose." The voice sighed in empathy.

"With all apologies to those same Danes their biggest impact on the ministry was to embarrass us into action over Norway. Just as Poland had been the diplomatic line in the sand, so Denmark was for the military; no more nations would be allowed to fall to the Germans, Norway would be defended." An empty, humourless laugh emerged from the speakers.

"An unfortunately apt metaphor! Our diplomacy failed to stop the march to war and going to Norway did not stop the Germans notching up another conquest."

The guy is getting more and more bitter as this tale goes on.

He has a lot of reasons to be so...

"An unfortunately apt metaphor! Our diplomacy failed to stop the march to war and going to Norway did not stop the Germans notching up another conquest."

And I was thinking the MN & RN would sink those troop-laden German DDs before they got anywhere near Trondheim & Narvik this time ... guess not.

as you say, this is most unlike your other work. but still very interesting, made more so by the tantalisingly short updates.

Well, I guess he knows how much a line in the sand is worth...not the stick it was made with.

Yes, yes I know the short rapid update thing didn't work out too well. My defence is a combination of holiday and crazy work pressure (the latter being an unfortunate side effect of the former).

However it's now back and the small changes continue to mount.

Part VIII
Part VIII

"I called Norway a face, everybody does, but I must confess I never felt it a fair sobriquet. I always felt it was, on it's own terms, something of a high point in France's war, though I acknowledge competition for that title is hardly intense."

The heavy stifled a snigger, it was hardly an appropriate reaction for a man in his profession. He hoped the trench coat hadn't noticed, but a quick look caught the shadow of disapproval crossing his superior's face. As he tried to concentrate the tape continued.

"I must also admit to a certain amount of self interest; I was involved in planning the army's contribution and served as liaison to the navy staff. And it was in that role that I was present at Marseilles Docks as the task force was despatched."

"Even now I can see it clearly, the streamers flying and the crowds cheering as the Force Expeditionaire and the cream of the Chasseurs Alpine departed in their transports for Norway. It was a sight to warm the heart, the flower of the army and the pride of the fleet steaming out of port with full pomp and ceremony. Not perhaps the wisest military move but just the shot in the arm the public needed for it sent a message; the fightback had begun." The voice paused before laughing hollowly.

"I suppose technically the message was right, but not in the way we thought at the time."

So...the Germans airpower devastated the mountain troops, the British failed to keep them supplied, and the Italians crossed Savoy and fatally weakened the French center by outflanking it?

TheExecuter