• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

El Pip

Lord of Slower-than-real-time
48 Badges
Dec 13, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
A French narrative? I'll wager few expected me to be writing such a thing on my track record. The idea came on a recent night shift where inspiration entirely failed to strike for Butterfly Effect, instead I knocked out the first draft of this.

Before beginning I would like to mention the inspiration taken from TheExecuter's excellent Last Mission, particularly the interrogation scenes and KiMaSa's Forging Destiny for showing the value of small but perfectly formed updates.

Now, onto characterisation and other such terrifying concepts!

Part I
Part I

The knife neatly slashed through the thin paper then tore a ragged line along the envelope, causing the contents to spill out over the dusty table. A pair of gloved hands picked through the detritus before coming up with a bulky reel-to-reel tape. The owner of the hands held the tape up to the trench-coated figure in the corner of the room questioningly.

Receiving a curt nod in reply the man strode over to the boxy recorder in the corner while opening up the tape box, pausing to thread the tape through the machinery he reached out for the play button before stopping short. With his arm still hovering over the mechanism he glanced back at the trench-coat, waiting for permission to hear the contents. Receiving a nod he pressed the button, stepped back and listened as the machine took up the slack tape and a male voice emerged from the speakers;

"Hello old friend. If you are hearing this I am dead."

A France AAR from El Pip! *watches as Universe explodes* :D

:rofl:

Can Pip possibly write an AAR from a French perspective?...or will his head explode from the strain of it?

Actually, now that I think of it...if you're taking inspiration from my interrogation scenes, this could be a VERY cynical piece of work...

Good luck, and I'm already imagining what things this 'dead man' has to tell us...!

TheExecuter

I like catching AARs at the start, especially El Pip ones! Yay!

trekaddict - I was shocked as well.

TheExecuter - I'm not trying for cynical, but on past performance it will happen anyway.

gaiasabre11 - Mwuhahahaa!

Stroph1 - If only there were still custom avatars I could get something appropriate. Alas not.

Myth - A wise move. ;)

C&D - Very true. :D

Raaritsgozilla - Getting in at the beginning does mean very little work to catch up.

Carlstadt Boy - I think daily updates from me for anything is impossible. That said here is the next update for this one.

Part II
Part II

"I asked my lawyer to give you this tape and the rest of the documents after I passed on so that my story would not die with me. If you think this is just the vanity of an old man then so be it, but do me one last favour and hear me out, I'm sure there are some who would be most interested in my tale."

The glove wearing heavy saw a flicker of movement in the corner of his eyes, if he didn't know better he'd have sworn it was the ghost of a smile crossing the lips of his superior. The tape continued on.

"So where to begin? My childhood, growing up among the vines of Libourne perhaps? Or my time at the Université de Bordeaux?" The speaker on the tape paused before chuckling.

"Ahh do not worry my friend, while my ego may compel me to leave this testament I'm not so far gone as to think I have led an entirely riveting life. It is my memories of the war that will interest history, my part in the Fall."

I hope that is not the Fall of Man, or this AAR may going to take a bit...:D

*stunned mullet*

The Fall? Of France? Britain? Germany? Europe? The world? The universe?! :eek:

gaiasabre11 - Mwuhahahaa!

Laugh all you want. Although I won't be writing a British AAR in response of this AAR, I do have tons of British nationals in my AAR already. Also kind of wondering whether my AAR is French enough when the main protagonist is German and the main antagonist is French. :eek:o

Hmmm... a confession about the fall. Sounds like we have a 5th columnist here...

Very different and very cool El Pip.

I second your thoughts.