• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
gaiasabre11 - Something someone else has done isn't as good as something you've done? :confused: How unexpected. You'll be saying the sun rises in the East next! :p

I didn't really say that, but of course you know that if there are winners, losers must also exist. :p

For what I'll say next: let's stop using the stupid Greenwich time and switch to Versailles time. The Sun King will be happy. :p:D

Regarding the latest update: to be honest, I like Italian women. :p

Enewald - As always, wait and see. Though at this point Italy isn't in the war, but everyone fears it's only a matter of time.

gaiasabre11 - While I'm certainly aware of winning and I'm afraid I'll defer to your expert knowledge of defeat and vast experience of being a loser.

gaiasabre11 - While I'm certainly aware of winning and I'm afraid I'll defer to your expert knowledge of defeat and vast experience of being a loser.

I'm afraid you can only defer to my expert knowledge of victories and vast experience of being a winner. :p

But I must confess currently I'm reading a book about epic failures of the Royal Navy. It looks like the RN had a cruiser that managed to torpedo itself in the past... :p

But I must confess currently I'm reading a book about epic failures of the Royal Navy. It looks like the RN had a cruiser that managed to torpedo itself in the past... :p

That is actually pretty impressive. How do you even do that??

Also, where will the next problem arise for France?

That is actually pretty impressive. How do you even do that??

I should think by setting the safeties on your torpedoes to zero, thereby allowing the torp to get confused and acquire your own ship as the target or by using faulty pre-WW1 tech?

Theoretically if our protagonist is the one who is coordinating the exodus of the French troops to North Africa, he ought to be able to schedule his own departure at a resonable time!

How true about rewarding success with even more difficult tasks, but from a command perspective once you find someone competent you don't really want to delegate important tasks to someone else...

I'm afraid you can only defer to my expert knowledge of victories and vast experience of being a winner. :p

It is true that the French navy would never have a chance for this to occur... White ensigns are not effectively deployed by torpedo...

Raaritsgozilla - Actually something is about to go right for France, shocking I know but I'm not sure I can match the sustained level of constant bad news in your epic. ;)

Bafflegab - Very true on all points, however I think you under-estimate the French capacity for surrender. For instance all French artillery pieces are equipped with smoke shells that air burst into the shape of a white flag.

As to Montbel's final destination, time will tell. :D

Part XXI
Part XXI

"How right those soldiers were!" Montbel continued. "As the train rushed south I could only think of was Italian armies smashing though the lightly guarded Alps, so recently stripped of troops to guard Paris they were achingly vulnerable." Montbel paused.

"I know such fears seem ridiculous to modern ears, particularly in light of later events, but at the time we had no idea what Prime Minister Balbo would do. We feared he was just continue the policies of his unlamented predecessor."

As Montbel expounded on his old fears the listeners reminisced about their visit to Rome all those years ago. The trenchcoat focused on the sensual; the rich food, the outstanding wines and most of all the diary secretary with the deep blue eyes and oh so usefully loose lips. Such a shame they had been ordered to tie up the loose ends before leaving the Eternal City.

The heavy's thoughts were of the contrasts of the trip; the hot stone of the window against the cold metal of the Mauser rifle, the noise as the crowds cheered Il Duce against the brief, but total, silence as they collectively went into shock and the bright white marble of the steps against the deep red of Mussolini's rapidly draining blood.

Mussolini...is dead? This story is looking up! How bad do the other leaders get it?

One can only wonder who wanted the Deuce flushed down the toilet. Now all of a sudden this heavy doesn't seem quite as villainous if he's killing fascists. But why?

Killing Musso is a bad move. No one is going to repeat the mistakes he did. Now Italy may have a chance.:rofl:

Bafflegab - Very true on all points, however I think you under-estimate the French capacity for surrender. For instance all French artillery pieces are equipped with smoke shells that air burst into the shape of a white flag.

Adding to that is that Exocet missiles are white. So now I wonder why British ships can't stand those missiles coming for them. :p

Killing Musso is a bad move. No one is going to repeat the mistakes he did. Now Italy may have a chance.:rofl:

Agreed. :p:D

Adding to that is that Exocet missiles are white. So now I wonder why British ships can't stand those missiles coming for them. :p

The total lack of honour in attacking while surrendering, of course. Just not the sort of thing a decent chap would do, what?

Interesting that Mussolini was assassinated - the gloves are well and truly off in covert ops if heads of government are being offed.

gaiasabre11: The whiteness of the missile combined with the tendancy of the warhead not to explode leads me to suspect that the Exocet works on a principle of surrender at high speed. Against thinly armoured ships not expecting such a violent surrender, French engineers have been able to turn a weakness into a strength.

gaiasabre11: The whiteness of the missile combined with the tendancy of the warhead not to explode leads me to suspect that the Exocet works on a principle of surrender at high speed. Against thinly armoured ships not expecting such a violent surrender, French engineers have been able to turn a weakness into a strength.

Well, let me remind you that the RN used the Exocet on the type 22. Hopefully you're not suggesting that if the type 22 ever fired them they will be trying to surrender. :p

Nevertheless, firing a torpedo that hits your own ship is more like an act of surrender, since it's virtually an act of scuttling!

Oh well, if Mussolini is dead that is pretty good news. And Im trying to make mine happier... I just dont like my characters at the moment.