• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whoa, I didn't see that coming! Excellent. :)

So, now Reynaud and Weygand (I assume he's next in line) go about saying it was Petain's dying wish that France will never surrender, and instead of Vichy we get France fighting on and the gov't moving to Algeria?

trekaddict - Huzzah the surprise worked!

C&D - I can guarantee that wont happen.

DonnieBaseball - Well that's the next few updates ruined. :(

Only joking. Seriously though I was going to do that chain of events but then I realised it was fairly guessable, as indeed you did. So I've changed to a (hopefully) better idea.

TheExecuter - Wise move, that plan was never even slightly likely.

Bafflegab - Funny you should mention that, the next update will begin to answer a few of your questions.

Part XVI
Part XVI

From the silence the voice emerged again, louder and more agitated.

"I know this sounds unbelievable, I know I would doubt it if I didn't know the truth. So I give you proof, in the envelope a copy of Petain's report, the copy I stole from the Ministry and which, in all the chaos, they never noticed was missing."

The heavy began sorting through the papers looking for the indicated document. Though a decidedly unimaginative soul, such gentlemen are never picked for their empathy or insight, as he sifted he suddenly realised that the man on the tape must had done exactly the same thing while making the recording. Struck by this he suddenly felt a tenuous but very real connection to the voice which, in a different man, would have been accompanied by an intense pang of guilt.

As it was the heavy shook his head to clear such thoughts and returned to his search but, not meeting with success, shrugged his shoulders at his superior. The voice carried on, growing more desperate as it continued.

"Please old friend, whatever you decide to do with this, you must stop it from getting into the wrong hands. "

The trenchcoat stirred himself and focused on the source of the voice.

"Yes it would be a shame if it has gotten into the wrong hands." He said, then gestured at the heavy to collect the paperwork and retrieve the tape, he then put the whole package safely in his suitcase.

This job done the two men walked out of the room, the heavy pausing only to kick the lifeless body of the rooms former owner out of the way so he could lock the door behind them.

Last edited:
Okay. As always I have some ideas, but meh. I can't wait what happens next.

'cause they want to snatch whoever did the deed perhaps?

Enewald - Mystery!

Bafflegab - Whoops, didn't make it clear enough, I meant to say the heavy picked up the tape and left with it;

"He then gestured at the heavy to collect up the package and retrieve the tape."

Bad word choice perhaps, I'll edit to clarify.

trekaddict - Perhaps, though it does rather depend on who the corpse is. ;)

No blood needed, if he is as heavy as we have been led to believe, a simple snapped neck will solve all problems ;)

Seriously though, looking forward to how it evolves out of the room away from the recording.

Possibly a silly question, has the current date been revealed?

Apologies Pip--bad job on my part with the idle speculation/spoilerage.

However, the last update reads like a bit of Fleming/Bond stuff--so cool. : )

My goodness, seems like things are getting worse and worse, both in the past and the present! :eek:

TheExecuter - Possibly sir, possibly.

Raaritsgozilla - No dates and you are correct, any competent bit of hired muscle should be more than capable of deposing of someone without making a bloody mess. :)

DonnieBaseball - Don't worry, the fact you guessed it meant it probably wouldn't have been a decent series of update - no real surprises.

However veering of course has caused a few delays, hopefully though the new plot plan will be worth it.

Myth - Better or worse depends on your viewpoint I suppose. ;)

Part XVII
Part XVII

The trenchcoat dropped the file to the table, loathed as he was to admit it his search appeared to have hit the buffers. Through habit he looked up at the wall of face, the photos a mixture of official file records and illicit shots snapped through ancient telephoto lenses. Among the many connections between the men photographed was the big red cross over their faces and the neat script beneath detailing their cause of death. For each man there was a small story outlining the tragic accident, terrible fire and even in a few cases the 'natural cause' that was actually natural. The sole exception, the single un-crossed face, was that of Monsieur Montbel, the voice on the tape and the only known survivor of "The Swords".

However with his home looted, his lawyer dead and no sign of the man himself it appeared he too had finally succumbed, either the DCRG or La Cagoule had got to him and taken the proof of Petain's treason with them. The only thing keeping the trenchcoat going, the sole crumb of hope, was the lack of a corpse. Hérain's protectors never bothered to hide their bodies, so why start now? He therefore reasoned it was possible, just possible, Montbel had survived somehow and taken his documents with him. With no other lead to chase there seemed little harm in chasing down the possibility.

That decision did however leave the problem of where to find Montbel if neither friend nor family had seen him in weeks. Hoping to better understand his quarry the trenchcoat reached out for the portable recorder on his desk and threaded the tape onto it. He pressed play and leant back, letting the now familiar voice wash over him as he listened intently, hoping for a clue that would lead him to Montbel's sanctuary.

Wow, thats not something I expected.

What/who are 'The Swords' I wonder?

Hoping to better understand his quarry the trenchcoat reached out for the portable recorder on his desk and threaded the tape onto it. He pressed play and leant back, letting the now familiar voice wash over him as he listened intently, hoping for a clue that would lead him to Montbel's sanctuary.

Now, I have been trying to place this in time, and based on the technology presented, (portable tape recorder) might have this somewhere between 1957 and 1966... Unless of course trenchcoat has technology that was developed in secret by the german's first... Plausibly somewhere shortly after 1943 if we assume that they really wanted to work on making the device small enough to be portable... So there you have it. Trenchcoat could be hunting for Montbel anytime after 1943... Oh yeah! that has nailed it down in time...

Up next the ongoing history of trenchcoats to definitively label our sleuth...

Excellent update Pip! It now seems like a race to find Montbel between trenchcoat and this nefarious Petain in the A$$ organization looking to snuff out Montbel's existence...