• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bafflegab - What they meant, but not what they intended.

trekaddict - Assumptions are being made and conclusions leapt to. I'm saying nothing..

Bafflegab - Indeed. Though the problem is if tk's guess is correct it may ruin the surprise I'm tortuously working my way towards.

TheExecuter - Historical-ish. No Weygand and no 4th Armoured success.

DonnieBaseball - Perceptive sir, very perceptive.

gaiasabre11 - I must confess I fail to see how you couldn't mean harm because I do have no idea what you mean and you don't exactly have the most generous of reputations. :confused:

gaiasabre11 - I must confess I fail to see how you couldn't mean harm because I do have no idea what you mean and you don't exactly have the most generous of reputations. :confused:

Well El Pip, you're not the most generous man too in my point of view, but that's not the point here.

Perhaps I should put it this way: to maintain the quality, put more surprises, simple as that. It's up to you whether or not to take the suggestion. ;)

Well El Pip, you're not the most generous man too in my point of view, but that's not the point here.

Perhaps I should put it this way: to maintain the quality, put more surprises, simple as that. It's up to you whether or not to take the suggestion. ;)

Considering that the set up isn't complete, it would be difficult to unleash a surprise, unless it is some sort of random non-sequitur... IMHO that doesn't make for very good reading, outside of comedies. Clearly, that does not apply here.

Pip, I for one, am definitely intrigued, and appreciate the set up.

Considering that the set up isn't complete, it would be difficult to unleash a surprise, unless it is some sort of random non-sequitur... IMHO that doesn't make for very good reading, outside of comedies. Clearly, that does not apply here.

Pip, I for one, am definitely intrigued, and appreciate the set up.

Well, I feel that I can predict the outcome of the set up to a certain point, that's why I call for something that can surprise me. To be honest, I said what I felt. It's up to people whether to take it or not.

Bafflegab has the essence of it, I'm building up to a (hopefully) big reveal at the end. I therefore don't want to compromise that ending by putting in twists and turns for the sake of it.

Of course the risk of that approach is that someone guesses the end but there's no way around that (I knew someone who guessed the big surprise of Fight Club within 5 minutes, mind you they were mildly schizophrenic so had an unfair advantage in that regard). Equally though there's always the possibility people guess the ending, but guess wrong. ;)

Well, now De Gaulle rushes to the Elysée with a R35, kills Petain and we have the surprise...:p;)

I never fall into the trap of predicting an El Pip story. Last time I did, Norwegian commandos stormed an Ikea and blew my mind ;)

I never fall into the trap of predicting an El Pip story. Last time I did, Norwegian commandos stormed an Ikea and blew my mind ;)

How did they navigate the maze?? Were there any casualties last to the ball room?? How many got distracted by ridiculously cheap hotdogs?? How many were killed by splintering cheap furniture as they attempted to sit on what is by far the worst quality material in the universe???

Bafflegab has the essence of it, I'm building up to a (hopefully) big reveal at the end. I therefore don't want to compromise that ending by putting in twists and turns for the sake of it.

Of course the risk of that approach is that someone guesses the end but there's no way around that (I knew someone who guessed the big surprise of Fight Club within 5 minutes, mind you they were mildly schizophrenic so had an unfair advantage in that regard). Equally though there's always the possibility people guess the ending, but guess wrong. ;)

I still believe that you're good enough of a writAAR to write some unexpectably big reveal. I wouldn't like you to prove me wrong.

Kurt_Steiner said:
Well, now De Gaulle rushes to the Elysée with a R35, kills Petain and we have the surprise...

c'mon Kurt, that's not a "big" surprise, you know something better when you want people to have a "Bomb Voyage". :p

Myth - I dunno his public image was always very different from how he actually was and he was never a nice chap even before Vichy.

Kurt_Steiner - That would be a surprise, but it is not my surprise. :)

Raaritsgozilla - One day I will think of some more jokes and finish that. One day, when I'm funny again.

Bafflegab - They were doing it for King Haakon and the Fjords so could overcome any obstacle, climb any mountain, assembled any furniture!

gaiasabre11 - There will be a big reveal, just not lots of small ones on the way that's all.

On which note, updatery!

Part XIV
Part XIV

"Still, back to Petain's review. For us in the Ministry it was a decidedly unpleasant but mercifully brief affair. Petain would burst into an office, berate almost everyone for incompetence, blame everything on liberals and the decline in 'proper' French values then burst out again. I gather he was just as bad with the army commanders but was careful to remain suitably patriotic when inspecting the troops."

"In hindsight I suppose that was an ominous sign, but we were too busy trying to balance hurt feelings and personal dislike for the man with our fervent desire he would succeed." A pause then the voice slowly continued, rich with the incredulity of hindsight.

"We thought the fate of France rested on his shoulders, we would forgive him anything as we hoped the Great War hero would bring us victory." Another pause, long and uncomfortable.

"Sadly for our hopes while he was writing the Germans were fighting, by the time he'd finished his first draft the Germans had left the Ardennes and reached Reims and were still going. Fearful for Paris the government made the fateful decision to order Petain to the front, telling him to stiffen the armies resolve and to help Gamelin hold the line on the Marne."

Bafflegab - The dual commander problem will be solved in a most final manner. :D

OutsiderSubtype - I intend to prove that maxim incorrect.

DonnieBaseball - Are things truly that desperate? Probably yes.

Enewald - I'd have thought you'd be cheering the old fascist to victory.

And now the revelation!

Part XV
Part XV

"The next part I'm sure you know, in fact I believe our beloved President has put it in the school curriculum. While out on a moral boosting tour Petain met his 'heroic' death, killed by the German artillery along with Gamelin while they were inspecting troops on the Marne."

The heavy nodded. While he was still hazy on why being flattened by a 10.5cm shell was 'heroic' he had long since learned to accept there were many things he was never going to understand.

"But now we come to the big revelation, the reason in fact I made this tape. For while Petain was impressing junior officers by the Marne his preliminary report was sitting on my desk. It's thin bluff covers giving no clue as to it's explosive contents."The voice trailed off into silence, followed by a long pause. Eventually the voice returned, quieter but grimly determined.

"Quite simply the report stated the situation was hopeless, that any attempt at fighting on was doomed and baldy stated that France should seek peace with Germany at any price. Petain, the hero of France, figurehead for the movement and step-father to our own dear President was advocating unconditional surrender."

The heavy gasped, struggling to comprehend the revelation. In confusion he looked at his boss and was amazed to see the trenchcoat's trilby bobbing as his boss nodded along.

I admit, you fully misled me until now. Doubtless you are about to do so again, so I will not make any more predictions. Good show!

Will France follow the advice of a general who went out in the artillery rain without trenchcoat? It seems to me this surrender has been averted without Petain to argue for it, but with neither him or Gamelin it doesn't look like there are appealing alternatives. Unless it's de Gaulle to the rescue.

De Gaulle: Surrender!
Hitler: We accept.
De Gaulle: I don't mean I surrender, I mean you surrender!
Hitler: No you!
De Gaulle: Will not!
Hitler: Will to!
De Gaulle: Will not!
Hitler: Will not!
De Gaulle: Will to!
Hitler: We accept!

Tell me I'm right, that I got Pip's scheme all figured out.