• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So...the Germans airpower devastated the mountain troops, the British failed to keep them supplied, and the Italians crossed Savoy and fatally weakened the French center by outflanking it?

TheExecuter

Mmmh... even a drunken Gendarme would be enough to keep the whole Italian army at bay in the Alps... :D

Part IX
Part IX

"So the expeditionary force left as heroes and we mere civil servants returned to the our offices. I was one of the lucky few from the Ministry sent to the Operation Room to liaise and I must confess it was an exciting time. We all knew France had just entered a race, our convoy against the Germans, the first to arrive in Norway would most likely win the entire campaign. So rather than race for Oslo we went for the nearer Stavanger to get our men ashore first." The voice paused and started chuckling.

"But of course the Germans knew about the race too, and after the bloody nose Darlan's ships had given them had good reason to avoid our fleet. So they too avoided the obvious and sent their main force to Stavanger as well! As if that wasn't enough the same thing then happened at Narvik, the British sent their reinforcements there and met German destroyers packed full of troops for a German diversionary landing!" The chuckling subsided.

"I know it should be wrong to laugh at such things, certainly at the time those naval battles were tense, work stopped as the entire operation room waited for the next radio report. It's a miracle my nerves survived, every hit or near miss was cheered and every silence absolute, dozens of people holding their breath, praying the empty static didn't mean the worst. But in hindsight... In hindsight it was ridiculous and well worthy of being called farce. That so many good men died does not remove the humour, merely make it the very blackest of comedies."

"But black comedy or not we won, the German Navy was duly slaughtered by the Allied fleets while on land we crushed those few Germans that had made it ashore. I remember walking out of the operation room elated, our first major victory had come and it was oh so sweet. But that feeling was not to last, while I had been so engrossed in Norway the war elsewhere had not stopped and my desk bore the grim evidence of that. On the very day we had saved Oslo the Germans had hurled themselves at Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg. While we were winning the Battle of Norway the Battle for France was beginning."

Uh oh... it seems that somebody is going to have the Hun knocking on his back door...

Welcome back, Pippy! I fear France has been distracted by peripherals.

Vann

Kurt_Steiner - Yep.

Myth - Probably, depends on what operation you are watching. I imagine it wasn't a fun place to be during the Battle of Poland.

Bafflegab - "Don't worry Darling I scared off that burglar prowling around outside" - "Marvellous work, sadly while you were out someone stole the TV and set fire to the house."

Enewald - Norway is a triumph, mock it not.

Vann the Red - There was a reason many of the French high command were so against the Norwegian campaign.

Part X
Part X

"Though the Germans were smashing through Northern Holland there was still work to be done in Norway and so, though I longed to return to the Ministry and play my small part in what was clearly the main event, I was forced to continue on as liaison officer." A regret loaded sigh emerged from the speakers.

"I must say the comedown for all of us was truly awful, days earlier we had been the toast of France, the first to defeat the Germans. Suddenly we were an irrelevance, our achievements meaningless in comparison to the events in the Low Countries. We went through the motions, we had professionalism enough for that, but our hearts were not in it, all of us wished to be back in the heart of the action."

The heavy nodded along, he could agree with anyone who wanted action, even if his definition of action would have differed considerably from that of the speaker on the tape.

"Eventually we got our wish, the strain on the civil service and the wrapping up of Norway meant the liaison staff were released and returned to the Ministry. It may seem ridiculous to outsiders, indeed it probably is ridiculous, but shuffling paper for troops fighting in Holland seemed far more important that doing the same for troops in Norway. And I suppose in a way it was." The voice hesitated before continuing.

"So at last we come to it, the first of my reasons for making this tape, the first revelation."

I have to agree shuffling Orange hued paper is far more agreeable than that blasted frozen red sheaf of papers. Good on him for getting out of that sordid Norway business...

Revelations you say??? HMMM... I am intrigued... Out with it damnit! Oh sorry, forgot to mention I completely lack any sort of patience. Technology has led me to a state of almost complete instant gratification... No longer capable of waiting...:D

"So at last we come to it, the first of my reasons for making this tape, the first revelation."

That the French can't win a battle?:D

Gah...cliffhanger!

Well, actually the whole story has been a cliffhanger...so, yep, time to sit back and wait, assemble the mob (TM) and commence the rabble rousing...

TheExecuter

Shuffling papers can actually be quite important, if they're the right papers. ;)

No need to bring the plain white ensign to the door, we can see it waving from afar!:D

haha, very funny. Have I ever told people that I'm a bit touchy at times?

That may be a little over the top, but to be serious, I'm specialized in hand to hand combat and joint locking techniques. Oh, yes, I also do attack weak points, for massive damage. :p

Back to the actual AAR: Revalations? I think I know what revalation you'll be bringing up. ;)

DonnieBaseball - It's an option, and Norway is most certainly secure. It's everywhere else that isn't!

Bafflegab - I am worried I may have built it up a bit too much, but I do have one good twist planned I am looking forward to later.

Kurt_Steiner - The French are more than capable of winning battles, but only when not led by a Frenchman. Hence why Norway was a success as the British had overall control. ;)

TheExecuter - I am trying for an episodic constant cliffhanger style, it appears to be working. Sadly "Short" isn't working as it keeps getting longer. Hey ho.

Myth - Never under-estimate the importance of paperwork. :D

To updatery and beyond!

Part XI
Part XI

"I have seen many reasons advanced as to why Gamelin drove our forces so far north, everything from his aggressive nature to a desire to keep the war of French soil. All of these may be true, there are others better qualified than me to answer, but one reasons I've never seen mentioned was political interference."

The trenchcoat raised a quizzical eyebrow but continued to listen as the voice carried on.

"Gamelin had opposed the Norwegian campaign and predicted it's failure, so when it succeeded he was left looking over cautious and out of touch. Conversely Prime Minister Reynaud looked a far sighted genius for so heavily supporting it, with the antipathy between the two men such a situation could never end well."

"Matters came to a head when Reynaud ordered Gamelin, under threat of sacking, to be more aggressive and decisive in the Low Countries. I know this to be the case because the relevant Ministry memos crossed my desk, copies of which I have put in the pack this tape came in."

The heavy rifled through the paper and came up with the relevant document, he flashed it at the trenchcoat who nodded approval.

"It is not the biggest revelation in the world I know, and if it had been all I had to tell I may not have made this tape, but it would certainly cause old man Reynaud a few problems would it not? Hard to play the heroic elderstatesman when it emerges you were to blame for such a major disaster and then blamed it on a dead man?" The voice paused.

"Now I come to think about it, Reynaud made quite a habit of such tricks."