• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well yeah, but there is such a diversity of units in today's world. How do you all make it work? Just have Armor, mechanized infantry and regular infantry? What about air combat?

raider75 said:
well yeah, but there is such a diversity of units in today's world. How do you all make it work? Just have Armor, mechanized infantry and regular infantry? What about air combat?

Well... that's why I choosed make MDS compatible to V:R, so that there is at least two suitable brigades (fighters and bombers). I know that Vicky hasn't the best combat simulation system... After all, its strength relies in the economical simulation. Actually, when I'm in the mood to wage war and raze countries to the ground by following scorched earth tactics, I load HoI. When I'm in the mood to play with economics, I load V:R. And for that purpose – playing with economics – there isn't better game than V:R in the whole Paradoxian familiy. Hopefully Vic 2 will improve that a bit, so that I hopefully can play the Crimean War or the ACW with a braoder combat simulation than the actual one. :D But I'm afraid this mod will also desapoint in combat simulation. :(

Sen. Vergueiro said:
And some teasers...

[PICS]

ScreenSave5.png
And maybe Wałęsa for Poland :D No commies please ;)

mumia said:
And maybe Wałęsa for Poland :D No commies please ;)
Actually... not: Gierek :( I focused on Cold War leaders. But you can spare me a lot of work posting a good image from Wałęsa and I'll transform it into a leader image.

Last edited:
Sen. Vergueiro said:
Actually... not: Gierek :( I focused on Cold War leaders. But you can spare me a lot of work posting a good image from Wałęsa and I'll transform it into a leader image.
Gierek was better than other reds (Bierut or Gomułka), but still... Maybe this photo:
116189-004-575EB990.jpg

or
1161284805-1.jpg

or
116322_8.jpg

I prefer 1st pic.

It is about historical circumstances, not about political preferences. Please leave Gierek as it is.

Some thoughts:

EU:
I was thinking about modelling EU mechanism. Large pack of events will be necessary to do so as well as country called EU (Brussels).

In a first stage EU can work as defense pact between EEC countries, later on one-province EU can be created. EEC countries become puppets of EU. Last stage we can date on 2007 is one country (when European Constitution was rejected) - with high probability to being rejected by EEC countries (as it really was).

USA tag issue:
It is, in fact, hard coded. If we can't remove it from a game we can use it to create one-province UN "country", as you have mentioned a couple of posts above. It will be not fully realistic, however more realistic then leaving this tag with USA.

Army issue:
In modern world brigades are in place rather then divisions; however I dont see possibility to show it in a game. I think we should leave divisional structure with extra brigades attached and have three main divisions: panzers, mechanized infantry, light infantry. First two with high up-keep cost, third one rather weak but very cheap - would be very useful in, for instance Vietnam war.

We can discuss about extra brigades. I'm just thinking: existing inf/drag have the same brigades, cav has diffeent ones. It means we can use cav tag for light infantry, to diverse it from "regular" forces. However I'm not military expert and maybe other unit should have separate kinds of brigades?

To-do list.

I will look at files possibly even today evening, however Sen. Vergueiro, you now better mate what is already done and what is still to be done. You think you could prepare such a list? We will be up-dating it every time we finish certain part.

Speak you soon, mate :)

MarcFloyd said:
It is about historical circumstances, not about political preferences. Please leave Gierek as it is.

Some thoughts:

EU:
I was thinking about modelling EU mechanism. Large pack of events will be necessary to do so as well as country called EU (Brussels).

In a first stage EU can work as defense pact between EEC countries, later on one-province EU can be created. EEC countries become puppets of EU. Last stage we can date on 2007 is one country (when European Constitution was rejected) - with high probability to being rejected by EEC countries (as it really was).

USA tag issue:
It is, in fact, hard coded. If we can't remove it from a game we can use it to create one-province UN "country", as you have mentioned a couple of posts above. It will be not fully realistic, however more realistic then leaving this tag with USA.

Army issue:
In modern world brigades are in place rather then divisions; however I dont see possibility to show it in a game. I think we should leave divisional structure with extra brigades attached and have three main divisions: panzers, mechanized infantry, light infantry. First two with high up-keep cost, third one rather weak but very cheap - would be very useful in, for instance Vietnam war.

We can discuss about extra brigades. I'm just thinking: existing inf/drag have the same brigades, cav has diffeent ones. It means we can use cav tag for light infantry, to diverse it from "regular" forces. However I'm not military expert and maybe other unit should have separate kinds of brigades?

To-do list.

I will look at files possibly even today evening, however Sen. Vergueiro, you now better mate what is already done and what is still to be done. You think you could prepare such a list? We will be up-dating it every time we finish certain part.

Speak you soon, mate :)

EU:

I think it's too soon to take a real action about EU. For now I would keep events for the 50's (Baby-boom, German economical mircale etc.).

For the army, my sketches look like this:
inf. => foot/light infantry
drag. => mot. infantry
cav. => tanks
mil. => some special thoughts... :p
BB 1 => CA 1
BB 2 => CL 1
BB 3 => CL 2
BC 1 => Fr1
BC 2 => Fr 2
CL 1 => CV 1
CL 2 => CV 2
CA 1 => CV 3
CA 2 => CV 4
CV 1 => Dest 1
CV 2 => Dest 2
CV 3 => Dest 3
DD => BB
MO => CA 2
IC => SSN 3
MW => BC
FR => SSN 1
CR => SSN 2
C Trans => SS 2
SS => SS 1
S Trans => Trans

(I had to reorginize naval divisions this way, because naval units sprites are – also – hardcoded. BB 1 to BC 2 and CV 1 to CV 3 share the same sprite. CL 1 to CA 2 also another sprite.)

Brigades:
HQ => idem
Gua => special forces
Eng => idem
Reg. => AA
Art => idem
Arm => Anti-tanks
figthers => idem
bombers => idem
cui => Heavy tanks
hus => APC
tor => idem
dest => attack boats
cor => free
ML => idem
MS => idem

I already put aside the graphics for these. There're plenty of units images and sprites, which I took from the new HoI DD spritepack (should I ask the developers of these graphic/sprite pack to use it in ths mod?). It's just a matter of time, the revolt file is not the best work, but it needs to be done after all. But once I'm finish (hopefully today), I'll focus again on graphic work.

To-do list:

That's simple: country files are almost done (when parties were reworked we should have a second look on theses files). Flags (at least one for each country) are done.
What is not done: OOB, economy/industrial rework, party files, unit, ai (there is something done, but is simple too little to keep the game historical), provinces, pops, military leaders and the revolt.txt (not for long now).

Last edited:
I would suggest the following for divisions

Divisions
Cavalry: Armoured Division

Dragoons: Mechanized Infantry Division

Infantry: Infantry Division

Irregulars: Irregulars (Can be used as the guerilla's for various different conflicts such as Alegiers and Indochina Wars)

Brigades

HQ: Same
Guard: Elite Infantry such as VDV troops, Royal Marines, Marine Corps, etc etc
Engineer: Same
Regular: Mechanized Infantry Brigade
Artillery: Same
Bombers: Maybe combine fighters and Bombers into single Generic "Air Support Wing"?
Fighters: Attack Helicopters
Cuirassers: MBT Brigade
Hussars: Air Cavalry Brigade

I will look into the naval units and offer my suggestions laterd

After some days of work – and small misspelling at the revolt.txt, wich caused the game to crash before uploading –, I can say the revolt.txt is done.
That's a glimps over that job:
ModernAfrica.png

But I need to work on some Pacific Islands and on São Tomé & Príncipe. Some flags are also missing.

The idea to combine one air brigade into an "air support wing" ist quite tempting... :p ...and thus having one "Attack Helicopter" Brigade. I'll see what I can do with my graphics. BTW, "MBT Brigade" and "Air Cavalry Brigade" are meant to Armoured divisions?
And any suggestion to naval divisions should be aware of sprite limitations. Lots of ships actaully share the same sprite (like CV and BC) – saddly :(

About changeing the names for religion, just open the extra_text.csv and roll down to line 610. There're at least 20 new religions free. Well, actually I've already taken 3 of them, one for atheism, other for secularized and a third to multi-religion. Ow..! and a forth one, for Konfucionism (China), as the original tag in the text.csv seemed to be bugged.

And some other eye candies:

The UN
Washington-NewYork.png

ScreenSave6.png

(@Mumia: I know Gierek doesn't make that good impression... I'll see what I can do for Wałęsa)

looking over the work you guys have done, were going to need to add a few more countries, and you have all the whites in the wrong rhodesia, they were in southern rhodesia not northern rhodesia, you want me to to just post my country suggestions here and then you can add them, cause for one we need to add rhodesia itself, and i can write up all the events for it so that wont be an issue, get back to me

Well the MBT Brigade would simulate an additional Armoured combat brigade that could be attached to various divisions while the Air Cavalry Brigade would simulate an Air Assault unit thus turning an infantry division into an Air Mobile unit

I strongly suggest waiting for OHGamer's new map for Vicky before going too far with this... the map supports a far more modern world... and I agree, why does the UN have a physical incarnation? If anything, it should only appear in nations "occupied" by the UN, and then only briefly. Such as Somalia...

Sen. Vergueiro said:
After some days of work – and small misspelling at the revolt.txt, wich caused the game to crash before uploading –, I can say the revolt.txt is done.
That's a glimps over that job:

About changeing the names for religion, just open the extra_text.csv and roll down to line 610. There're at least 20 new religions free. Well, actually I've already taken 3 of them, one for atheism, other for secularized and a third to multi-religion. Ow..! and a forth one, for Konfucionism (China), as the original tag in the text.csv seemed to be bugged.

And some other eye candies:

(@Mumia: I know Gierek doesn't make that good impression... I'll see what I can do for Wałęsa)

Hi!
I've played around with making new mds scenario myself, and about religion I have some ideas for you:

First, having secularized as a religion is kinda strange, since being secularized means that you are securalized of a specific religion. It would be better to just use Atheism. Other religions to add would perhaps be:

Asian Religions:
-Sikh
-Vajrayana Buddhism
-Shinto
-Jainism

Pagan
-Divide "Pagan" into shamanism, animism.
-Chondogyo (for Korea)
-Yazidism
-Juche (North Korea state religion)
-Vodoo, or some other African/Christian mix.

Chinese folk religions:
-Taoism
-Confucianism

Islam:
-Ibadi Muslim (majority in Oman)
-Sufism
-Druze

Christianity:
- Have both Eastern Orthodox (Russia, Greece and so on) and Oriental Ortodox (Ethiopa, Lebanon and so on)
-Coptic Christianity
-Eastern Catholic, perhaps?

Others:
-Bahai

These are just some ideas..

@ raider75

But MBT and Air Cavalry brigades will be available to cavalry (i.e. armoured) division – only. Is that a problem?

@ raider75 & Mr. Capitalist

The problem with UN is that the USA tag must be separated from the US, since this tag has an overhealming attraction field for immigrants. This is acceptable when you're playing the US in the 19th century, but it's far from reality in the 20th century's second half. But surprisingly is the USA tag hardcoded, what means I cannot simply set this tag aside; it must be an country in the scenario, or the scenario simply won't load.

And I'm eager to get some news concearning Clio, too. Belive me, every time I log in, I peek in that thread. But I don't want to postpone this just because there ought to have a more modern map to simulate modern times in the near future. If this was a really big issue, I would have started working on the Cold War mod for HoI. No tags problems, no concearns about immigration and a far better adapted combat simulation. ...but since I'm really a big fan from Vicky, I'll still work here. ;) :p

@Tempelridderen

Religions noticed. Secularized is just more for the UN – I know it, I can spare me a lot of problems keeping the UN outside this. Other religions will be included, but the pop work will follow later on.

Last edited:
Then I would suggest using Brussels and using the USA tag as the EU since there are massive waves of immigrants to the EU member nations. This is a rather serious problem to the EU member nations currently

raider75 said:
U can change what units can have brigades, its rathr simple

Ow... :eek: That's new to me. How can I do this?

raider75 said:
Then I would suggest using Brussels and using the USA tag as the EU since there are massive waves of immigrants to the EU member nations. This is a rather serious problem to the EU member nations currently

I also tried this, but the problem is, the USA tag must be a working country in 1952, and not in 2007.