• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Step 1: Do that stuff.
Step 2: Build buildings!
Now you're just making me check it manually. That wasn't part of the deal. :(

On first inspection it does appear that the trick of parking a regiment on all grain provinces is still viable, in fact slightly improved (reduces supply by 100% instead of 90%).

Edit: On the other hand, it's no longer a bad thing to build weapons manufactories in copper provinces, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Isn't it so so that supply MAY be affected by #listed while demand ALWAYS is affected by #listed?

As the OP dates back from 27/03/10..

Is this information still applicable to DW?
I suppose there have been substantial changes to the supply/demand of trade goods as the building system has completely changed.
Anyone up for creating a similar list for DW? Looking at Naggy as he did such a great job *I'm too lazy to do it myself* :)

btw It would be great to have such a list on the EU3 wiki with EU3-chronicles being released and all..

As the OP dates back from 27/03/10..

Is this information still applicable to DW?
I suppose there have been substantial changes to the supply/demand of trade goods as the building system has completely changed.
Anyone up for creating a similar list for DW? Looking at Naggy as he did such a great job *I'm too lazy to do it myself* :)

btw It would be great to have such a list on the EU3 wiki with EU3-chronicles being released and all..
Most of it seems to still apply. The grain trick, which is the bit that you can probably make the most impact on the game with under normal circumstances, still works and appears to actually have been slightly improved.

The thing about weapon manufactories in copper provinces no longer applies.

The colonial goods overall work in a similar way, but each good now depends on different subsets of provincial buildings, and obviously those buildings are built more gradually now.

The main take-home IMO is to park idle troops in grain provinces if you have a lot of them.

The main take-home IMO is to park idle troops in grain provinces if you have a lot of them.

But that would reduce supply so you get less, since you 'produce' less. If I look at blockaded provinces (-75% supply) the revenue from production is quartered. It's an effective way of crippling your opponent's economy. Wouldn't stationing trooops in your grain provinces do the same?

I believe the key is that supply/demand are only used to calculate a global price modifier, which is then applied to the units produced in each province. So you'll never affect the units produced in a single province you own.

I believe the key is that supply/demand are only used to calculate a global price modifier, which is then applied to the units produced in each province. So you'll never affect the units produced in a single province you own.

Well, blockading enemy provinces certainly has an impact on the units produced. Haven't seen anything like that happen to me, but then I haven't been blockaded or wasn't paying attention. I will try to get a pirate blocking a province.

Increasing Supply.. is bad? DOES NOT COMPUTE

Price is simply base cost * demand/supply, and demand and supply are not calculated based on how many units are actually being produced and traded. Thus, increasing supply merely lowers the price, without providing any corresponding benefit.

Ahh, but that's Economics 101. In Africa (well in Europe, but the point of manipulation is in Africa), they actually buy diamonds off the world market, to create an artificial scarcity. Diamonds really aren't that rare, and if more and more people keep buying them up the value will plummet. Grain companies in east Asia also got a bad wrap a few years back from forming cartels that would stop selling grain to the people so that the price could go up. I'm sure thousand of people starved to death. You make a lot more money selling 5 million tons of grain @ $1 a bag than 25 mllion tons @ $0.10 a bag.

The weirdness is that reducing the supply doesn't go together with a reduced number of units produced. Basically it's just a disconnect in the logic of the economic system of EU3. At the end of the day it's not a detailed economic simulation program so I'm pretty much fine with that.

The weirdness is that reducing the supply doesn't go together with a reduced number of units produced. Basically it's just a disconnect in the logic of the economic system of EU3.
Yeah, by my thinking, if you try to artificially reduce supply, there should be Consequences. Like instead of getting more money because the price is so high, you wouldn't get any money at all because there's nothing to sell. Maybe even getting some penalties for goods just plain not existing (Polar opposites of the bonuses you get for trading in a CoT that has access to goods, perhaps.)

Last edited:

Sure it does compute. If you're a producer, you'll want to have global supply as low as possible, while your share of that supply as high as possible.

As a consumer, of course, there can never be too much supply for your tastes :)

Sure it does compute. If you're a producer, you'll want to have global supply as low as possible, while your share of that supply as high as possible.
It doesn't compute because the only way to reduce supply would be to supply less, ie. sell less, which would tend to drive your income down.

You shouldn't look at it from the point of view of a company but from a global point of view. Imagine what would happen with the price of wheat if the production dropped 90%. The price would go sky high as the demand would have remained the same. Now you could argue that producing only 10% would give less profit overall, even if it gives you much more profit per unit sold, but since the production value doesn't really change in EU3, lowering supply gives you more money...

As a consumer, of course, there can never be too much supply for your tastes :)

Yes, you don't want to reduce your own supply. You only want to reduce the supply of the competitors. But in EU3, if you reduce your own supply, this doesn't actually reduce the amount of wares you sell, so it is a universally good thing to do. This is completely bonkers.

By the way, the trade good system has been in effect since NA, not just IN as the original post states.