• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey, The Yogi! I've been absent from the AAR fora for a long time now, and guess what was the first AAR that I caught up on?

That's right, this one! And the quality is as high as ever! :D

Glad to see you back!

Now all we need is some RTCW inspired action with nazis digging up black knights from Genghis khans tomb to ressurect Heinrich I.
I suppose that the Rune Sword (tm) will also come in handy.

I definately like the occult side of this...

It reminds me of a strange series I once happened to see on American cable called "The Witchblade". I wonder if the sword will compete for Skozeny's attentions wil Fa Lo Su...

Great update Yogi, but then magical enchanted swords do automatically double the coolness of an AAR. Now that the war has started are you in HoI 2?

Thanks guys, I'm happy you liked this one.

Regarding your questions, no, I'm not in HOI 2 quite yet. While it would make sense modding-wise to let the HOI1 AAR finish at the start of the war in Europe, it would not be right from a dramatic point of view.

This will end with one major wrapup and one major cliffhanger...

Above Saarbrücken
September 25th, 1939
12:00 AM

hannahsfighter7ae.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf-109E of Hauptmann Hannah Reitsch, Staffelkapitän of 4./JG 53

Poland had surrendered unconditionally four days ago, and small wonder: while her armies were being overrun and destroyed by the Wehrmacht, the hordes of Stalinist Russia had stabbed her in the back and snatched a vast area of polish territory, including the fields at Bialystock whose oil the German war industry so desperately needed. Hannah resented that no end, never mind that Stalin had generously agreed to supply Germany with all the oil she could ever need. This shameful alliance with the Bolsheviks only increased her confusion to new levels – how could her beloved Führer act this way?

She decided, as always to push such questions to the back of her mind and deal with present problems instead. She had been pleasantly surprised when her application to join a fighter squadron had been approved, even in the face of the horrified protests of dear Robert von Greim. She assumed, with a fond smile, that the Führer had had something to do with it. Be that as it may, now she was where she most wanted to be: in the cock-pit of a Messerschmitt Bf-109 ‘Emil’ ready to give the ancestral French enemy a piece of her mind. The enemies of Germany were remorseless and cruel: already they had bombed the cities of Breslau, Oppeln, and most recently the supposedly allied ex-Polish city of Teschen. But they hadn’t had Hannah Reitsch and her Jagdstaffel to deal with!

The months since her meeting with Sister Irene in Köln had been good for Hannah. Together they had spied on the SS – she from within, gossiping and chit-chatting at cocktail parties, playing the wide-eyed blonde who was SO impressed with the gallant young SS-officers she chatted up – and Irene from without, making full use of the Vatican spy network. Hannah wasn’t very clear about her position within the Church, but she apparently had some sort of document which granted her next to complete authority. In the end, they had learnt about some sort of occult activities going on within the Anhenerbe, it’s incorporation of Sonderkommando H and of the Pagan theories of the Early- and Prehistory department, although those were laughable in the extreme. There was however no question about some very sinister things going on within the Wewelsburg order castle. Irene had promised to do something about that and dropped out of sight in the last week before the war.

For some reason, she felt she slept better, and the almost uncontrollable urge that had made her bed Professor von Braun had gradually subsided, until at long last she’d been able to kiss him goodbye. The good Professor had been saddened, but more than a little relieved. He had always felt as a mouse courting a Lynx with her – or rather the other way around. No longer having to confess all the things she’d done with him to Father Röger was also a great relief, for him even more than for her she suspected.

She had also broken up with Robert von Greim when joining the ranks of Jagdgeschwader 53, mainly because he was a superior officer in the Luftwaffe. She thought she would have a tough enough time in the otherwise all-male Luftwaffe as it was. It had turned out she was wrong.

With her test pilot rank as Hauptmann, massive flying experience and peace-time fame, there was no question other than her getting command of a Jagdstaffel, namely the 4./JG 53 as one of six Staffelkapitänen of the Jagdgeschwader 53 ”Pik As”. Initially, she did not feel very welcome by the eleven young fighter jocks under her command, which did not surprise her overly. They were full of macho myths and testosterone, although this ended working to her advantage in an unexpected way.

At 27 she was a few years older than most of the pilots in the unit, but not so much so that her blonde curls, large blue eyes and irresistible dimples didn’t affect her young subordinates. While that in itself was hardly a good basis for command, she had the ability to put them in their place in the one way that really mattered to a pilot: she was able to fly circles around any of them (except perhaps that kid, Werner Mölders, he was a natural talent) and teach them a thing – or three – about how to get the most out of their cantankerous machines. For that, they soon learnt to respect and admire her, after which their unanimous and boyish crush on their commanding officer turned into a desperate race between them to impress her with their skill and diligence.

The Geschwader had cut its teeth in Poland, where Hanna had downed four Polish fighters, putting her at the top of the Geschwader kill board. That counted for a lot. There had been no casualties either, and that counted for even more. It was in the skies over Poland that she had earned her nickname “The Queen of Spades”, which led her to adopt the call sign “Queen”. To acknowledge it, she had had a Queen of Spades playing card painted on the engine cowling of her fighter.

Now the Queen and her eleven Jacks were climbing fast in a Schwarm formation to intercept a flight of French bombers on their way to bomb Saarbrücken. Well, they would just see about that!

Soon, she spotted the enemy bombers, a formation of six. They were flying due east high above and in front of the Luftwaffe Schwarm. Hannah couldn’t make that out yet, but they were ultra-modern Amoit 354’s with each two Gnome-Rhône 1060 hp radials which pushed them on at a very respectable 480 kph. But with their 1200 hp Daimler-Benz 601N inline engines on full throttle, the Messerschmitt Bf-109E-1’s of 4./JG 53 could reach speeds in excess of 570 kph in level flight, and were now climbing as elevators to catch their prey. It would be a close run. If the French bombers managed to pass overhead before Hanna’s Staffel could reach their altitude, they would by means of a shallow dive towards their target perhaps evade the German interceptors while these were turning to pursue and were still picking up air speed.

Straining their engines to dangerous levels, the deadly Messerschmitts hurtled ever on towards the dark blue sky while the French bombers loomed ever larger. Suddenly Hannah realized they were going to overshoot her while still at extreme range. The two 20mm MG FF cannons housed in the wings of each of the German fighters had a low muzzle velocity, and the chances to score a hit at such distance were slim. Nevertheless, Hannah decided to take the chance, in the hope of getting in some lucky hits.

‘Attention this is Queen. We’re not going to catch them on the way up. By rote, pick a target and on my mark, fire a four-second burst with the MGs and then a one-second one with the cannons!’

’Jawhol, Fräulein Staffelkapitän!’, came the choir of answers over the radio.

Leading her aim well in front of the lumbering enemy bombers, Hannah waited for what she judged to be the right instant before shouting “Fire!” and squeezing off a long burst with the machine guns. These were rifle-calibre weapons, firing 7,92 mm bullets at 790 m/s. They weren't likely to do much damage, but would help with the aiming of the cannons.

Just as Hannah saw the flashes of impacts as the incendiary ammunition struck some of the enemy bombers, she fired her cannons, as did all the planes of the Staffel. In that lone second, some 24 kilograms of high explosive shells were thrown in the path of the bomber formation.

Several of the French planes had sustained some hits from the MGs without suffering much damage, but now one of them took a full burst of cannon shells straight in the belly. A 20mm projectile must have hit one of the bombs suspended within the bomb bay of the French plane, because in the next instant it was engulfed in blinding white flash and obliterated. All other shells missed, and then the remaining five bombers had flown past. Cheering, the German pilots pulled back their flight sticks until they once more had the quickly shrinking dots that were the enemy planes in their sights. They were now flying heads down, so they rolled 180 degrees and began the long chase after their French adversaries. Silently, Hannah saluted their bravery. She had no doubt they would catch the enemy bombers sooner or later, but now it seemed unlikely that it would be before they had time to release their bombs. Still, she would make sure they didn’t get the opportunity to do it again, and that was almost as good. Like most people in both France and Germany, she assumed it would be a long war, but she was wrong.​

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments, everyone, and welcome Fiftypence to the small but dedicated group of fans of this AAR. It's not one to appeals to everyone's taste and I'm happy about every new addiction to the rooster.

And now, without just a little more ado, the next update. I'm currently away from home and modem-wired so any eyecandy will come later.

The Secret Stronghold of Fu Manchu
Somewhere in the mountains of Southern China
October 15th, 1939

secret_stronghold.jpg

Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Chek marched with proud, resonating steps over the sheer gray stone slabs that formed the floor of Fu Manchu's depressing "throne room". Everything here was gray, except darkened and tattered war-banners which hanged in rows on the walls. Once they had shone with bright colours and martial pride, but now they were dulled by defeat, dust and years of display. Burning torches provided a weak lurid illumination that did little to ease the shadowed gloom of the stronghold. As always, howling mountain winds echoed through the dusty and deserted halls of the stronghold, sounding like the shrill screams of the damned.

Fu Manchu, as usual dressed in a yellow Mandarin's robe with the rampant Manchu dragon in blue on his chest, leaned forward on his throne and observed the approach of his lackey. After the defeats in spring and summer, when Shanghai and even Nanjing had fallen to the Japanese enemy, Chiang had crawled over the floor on his hands and knees, imploring Fu Manchu's mercy, however pointless he must have known that to be. In the event, Chiang had been in no real danger, because Fu Manchu was shrewd enough to see that the loss of these cities, and the swelling bridge-head in southern China contributed to debilitate the Japanese front in the decisive theatre of war, Manchuria, just as the fear-stricken Chiang had tried to explain. Thus, Fu had insulted, humiliated and threatened the hapless Generalissimo just to keep him in his place, but in truth he was always well pleased with the bold strategy he pursued. And now, apparently, he had the best possible news, or he wouldn't be walking so proud. That was excellent, because the situation in Europe was maturing nicely.

The absence of Fah Loo Sue hadn't had too nefarious consequences, since she had left her creation, the despicable Dr Morrell with standing orders, and the wretch, being a conscious slave to her will, happily accepted new ones from the Lord of The Si-Fan even without the need to invoke any hypnotic coercion. This had come in very handy, since Morrell had been able to report in detail about the plan conceived by Lt General von Manstein for the German campaign in the west. It was brilliant, and would undoubtedly have led to a decisive German victory over France, after which Britain would probably accept some sort of settlement. That, of course, was unacceptable. Fu Manchu wanted the nations of Europe, and Britain especially, fully engaged against each other for some years to come, and if possible he wanted to draw America into the fray too. Fortunately it had been easy enough to order Morrell to whisper in Hitler's ear that the plan had to be squashed, and at present the German Wehrmacht was planning for an Autumn and Winter campaign in France and the Low Countries along the lines of the old Schlieffen plan. This would most probably lead to a repetition of the stalemate of the Great War. All in all, Fu Manchu thought, he had no great need of his daughter any more, which was why he had decided to let her languish in a Moscow prison.

It was unfortunate, of course, that the agents Reitsch and Skorzeny had become inoperative, but Morrell was the one of Fah Loo Sue's agents that was still crucial to Fu Manchu's plan. Loosing the other two was a small price to pay to eliminate well in advance any threat that Fah Loo Sue might come to represent to his leadership over the Si-Fan. Hannah Reitsch had received specific hypnotic orders for each mission, and although still slave to his daughters will, there was no way for Fu Manchu to order her, since he didn't know the hypnotic code words to command her. As for the SS-man, Skorzeny, he had made abundantly clear to the pretended Si-Fan liaison (who had barely escaped with his life) that he would obey orders only from his mistress Fah Loo Sue, and any other Si-Fan acolyte could damn well go and... the Austrian's suggestions had been as obscene as physically impossible to carry out for any one not grotesquely malformed. A pity, Fu Manchu though, but in any case, once he had left the Führer's immediate entourage and gone away to the front with his unit, Skorzeny's utility had declined sharply so it was no great loss. Fu Manchu had decided to remove them both from the scene in order to avoid any complications. In the case of Skorzeny, since he was now leading a combat unit Fu had seen no reason to do anything at all for the moment, since there was an excellent opportunity that he might be killed in action. Otherwise... something would have to be done. And as for Hannah Reitsch, nothing could have been easier than to have Morrell make Hitler approve her request for transfer to a combat squadron. The odds against her living for very long there well tall. She was, after all, nothing but an ordinary woman, playing in a men's war.

All these things crossed through Fu Manchu's mind as Chiang Kai-Chek, in full dress uniform, goose stepped his way across the echoing void of the throne room until finally he stopped at the first of the stone steps that led up to the throne podium of Fu Manchu, bowed deeply, removed his uniform cap and tucked it under his arm.

'Master, I come to report great victories!'

'Then by all means please do so Chiang, and don't keep your Master waiting with your inane chatter!'

Chiang flinched visibly at the rebuke, which made Fu Manchu's lips curve slightly in a cruel smile. It was always a good idea not to let the servants get to full of themselves, lest they forget who was the Master.

'Of course, My Lord. During this autumn, as you well know, we have counterattacked in the south, and finally the enemy bridgehead has been wiped out entirely! The Japanese now hold only the island of Hainan in that sector. Furthermore, our proud capital of Nanjing has been recaptured once more, so that the Japanese are now bottled up only in Shanghai. But best of all - our armies in Manchuria have gone from victory to victory. We have cleared Manchuria from Japanese troops, and only yesterday my Government have officially re-incorporated the homeland of your Imperial ancestors into the Republic of China. Furthermore, we have broken through the Japanese Yalu-front and as we speak, my divisions are pushing into to Korea.'

'And the Japanese reaction?' Fu Manchu, asked as if these extraordinary news were nothing more than what should be expected.

Chiang smiled triumphantly. 'My Lord... they have asked us for a ceasefire and what terms we require for a negotiated peace! You have won, Master, you have beaten the Empire of Japan!'

'I'm not quite done with the Japanese yet, Chiang!' Fu purred. 'There will be no ceasefire - keep advancing into Korea, show no mercy! And see what you can do about kicking the Japanese out of Hainan and Shanghai.'

'But Master!' Chiang exclaimed, horrified. 'What more can we hope to achieve? We can never touch the Home Islands, the Imperial Navy owns the seas. What few ships we had were sunk years ago, as you well know! Shouldn't we try to profit from these successes to settle things with the Japanese to our advantage? We’ll get Manchuria for sure, have them evacuate the mainland, probably Hainan as well...'

'Silence, cur!' Fu Manchu roared, rising from his stone throne. 'I think you forget your place! You presume to lecture ME about the art of diplomacy? You worm, you whelp! I negotiated the fate of Empires before your bitch mother conceived you! On your knees!'

Deathly pale, both from anger and fear, Chiang threw himself on his face, groveling before his terrible Master. 'Forgive my impertinence Master! Of course you know best, I should have known better!'

'Well, at least you can show proper respect. Stand up, your crawling disgusts me, and in fact you're not wrong in your protestations. We ARE going to negotiate with the Japanese, but not the way they would like. We'll refuse to deal with anyone but Emperor Showa himself.'

'They'll never agree to that!' Chiang exclaimed while he picked up the pieces of his dignity and climbed to his feet. 'The Emperor of Japan will never agree to meet with me, a lowly President, on equal terms! Or if he does, his government won't let him.'

'Ah, but you see, it is not you who we will send to discuss with Hirohito. There's one Chinese that he cannot refuse to meet face to face: the Emperor of China is his equal, or as near enough as any human being can be.'

'There IS no Emperor of China!' Chiang protested, some defiance creeping back into his voice.

Fu Manchu remained mild, however. 'Not at present, no. But now that we have re-incorporated Manchukuo as a province of China, what's to prevent us from reinstating Pu Yi as Emperor and reestablish the Empire? They could not refuse Pu Yi, Hirohito has even met with him before, when he was just a glorified lackey.'

'But... but... would you trust Pu Yi to negotiate for us, Master? As you say, he was a lackey for the Japanese! How could we trust him?'

'Oh, I'd trust him with my own life, Chiang. After all, he's family isn't he?' Fu Manchu turned to a hooded servant who was standing next to the throne with his arms crossed and tugged into the sleeves of his black robes. 'Send in Prince Pu Yi, at once!'

The servant bowed and scurried of, soon returning with a middle-aged Asian of serene expression and stately walk. Like Fu Manchu he wore silk robes but his were Imperial Red, and the Manchu Dragon on his chest was embroided in thread of gold.

'Ah, your Highness, come here and meet your future Prime Minister!' Fu Manchu exclaimed in a jovial, yet somehow sinister tone, as if every word said was a cruel mockery.

As Pu Yi approached, Chiang felt a chill travel down his spine. The former (and now apparently future) Emperor of China had the air of an automaton, barely conscious of his surroundings. Yet his eyes drew Chiang’s to them with an irresistible magnetism. Under a thin veil of transparent tissue, the emerald green flames of Hell danced in the eyes of Henry Pu Yi. Chiang looked back to Fu Manchu, then to Pu Yi and back again. Try as he might, he couldn't tell those two pairs of Devil Eyes apart...​

Last edited:
I wonder what Fu has in store for the Emperor of Japan...and how the Nationalist Party of China will react to this restoration of the Empire.

Smashing update Yogi! :)

Ah, the fate of Pu Yi is revealed! I fear the Japanese are going to have problems negotiating favourable terms in the presence of those devil eyes...