Martin Boreman + Rudolph Hess Is Best

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Halder. Attack is way more valuable than either of those things, unless you are specifically looking to game max speed for way easier overruns. Brauchitsch also has the advantage of offering double their speed boost to tank divisions, which in combination with MW doctrine is +40% instead of +20%. Given that these modifiers apply at the same level as terrain and infrastructure which usually means you'll have less than 100% speed, they are often going to be worth more than +40%.

Raeder. I think the raiding efficiency is largely only going to lower the amount of raiding you need to minimize enemy route efficiency. With TI doctrine and terrible AI ASW, you're most likely already going to have enough subs. But I don't know this for absolute certain.

I'd actually pick Greim, for more reliably mission efficiency which matters more in the air war. But if you are spamming planes such that you are going to win the air war and want to penalize enemy defense/speed more, Goring.

Shorner and Lutjens, for me. Shorner because attacks. I would personally avoid Fritsch because they give - attrition which is a problem you can avoid entirely through other means. Rundstedt with + recovery can be a good thing to have if you wanted to boost your army even further, but your army is already pretty juiced out by this point might want to try to boost something else. And of the other things, Lutjens boosting naval range is the most usable.

Just wanted to give a hearty thank you! for taking the time to post these recommendations. I am currently working much overtime and am very slowly playing a Germany at a difficulty level above my norm. I am getting just under .5 pp a day and needed some advice from a solid player. Salute!

• 1Like
Reactions:

...what would you recommend as next FT-picks?
  • war economy (seems one pick to early to me)
  • aviation innovations I
  • coal liquefaction (would like to get "synthtic rubber" before WWII starts)
  • ?

...what are the reommendations for "military staff"?

• Beck (ORG) / Halder (Attack) / Brauchitsch (Speed) ?
  • Raeder / Dönitz (depends on naval-strategy)
  • Göring (air-superiority) / Kesselring (XP) ?
  1. Rommel (to good not to take)
  2. Schörner / Rundstedt / Fritsch ?
  3. Schörner / Rundstedt / Fritsch ?

Why should it be to early for 6 mils?
The synthetic stuff is something for 39, best used if you can plan it that you have the 300% research bonus for the 41 rubber tech so you can also research it in 39 and your rubber drop is minimized.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give a hearty thank you! for taking the time to post these recommendations. I am currently working much overtime and am very slowly playing a Germany at a difficulty level above my norm. I am getting just under .5 pp a day and needed some advice from a solid player. Salute!

Agree 100% thanks for all the detailed info In this thread. Very interesting and extremely helpful.

It takes time to bang out a response to a posters question or statement (in some cases, repeatedly) but there are hundreds if not thousands of others who are also reading and learning from each response. So thank you gents.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Focus Tree:
  1. Rhineland
  2. Army Innovations
  3. Tank Treaty
  4. 4 Year Plan
  5. Autarky
  6. Hermann Goring-Werke
  7. KdF-Wagen
  8. Extra Research Slot (finished: 07/37)
  9. Reichsautobahn* (finished: 10/37)
  10. Anschluss (finished: 02/38)
  11. Fleet Upgrade (35 days)*
  12. Naval Efforts (35 days) as 10th pick I'm running out 100% Slots before Reichsautobahn is finished
  13. War economy
  14. Aviation Innovations I
* first took this as 9th pick and delayed Reichsautobahn by 35 days (as 100% INFRA in Rhineland and Moseland still gives enough 100% slots), only to notice afterwards, that I'm not far enough with my naval-techs to use the additional docks efficiently.

...next picks?

29.06.1938: the next Focus-Tree pick is pending...
  • ...at which point you demand Sudetenland?
  • ...does demanding Slowenia makes any sense?
    • ...and if so, at which point?
  • ...at which point you demand "Ostgebiete"?
  • at which point you go for MR-Pact
  • are there any other picks that should be taken first?

...thanks!

A lot of this is going to depend on your particular preferences. If you want to go full historical for stuff like the MR-Pact or not, etc. Danzig or War is generally 19th focus for the closest you can get to september 1st '39 invasion of poland, and you've got 13 70 day focuses already, which means you can only cram 4 things that aren't reassert eastern claims and danzig or war (dow).
...at which point you demand Sudetenland?
Either next or after 1 other focus, because it takes 3 focuses. You could have more wiggle room if you pushed back the invasion of poland, or if you didn't pick air innovations or your dockyards, but those are probably already done and can't change it.
...does demanding Slowenia makes any sense?
No. That never really makes sense unless you completely replace it with the Czechslovakia path to avoid losing schacht (I might be forgetting about some other trigger to lose schacht), but doing the slovenia path late is always risky, the allies are more likely to guarantee and start the war early. Or if your whole playbook was based around rushing anchluss and going down this focus tree instead of your industrial one, which is a weaker move.
at which point you go for MR-Pact
You'd have to do it either next, or after your fate of czech path.
are there any other picks that should be taken first?
The coal and rubber focuses would have been nice, but you opted for air and sea.

Reactions:
  • ...at which point you demand Sudetenland?
  • ...does demanding Slowenia makes any sense?
    • ...and if so, at which point?
  • ...at which point you demand "Ostgebiete"?
  • at which point you go for MR-Pact
  • are there any other picks that should be taken first?

...thanks!
Sudentenland now if you want to go to war at historic dates.
Slowenia does only make sence if you skip Sudentenland and go that route completly.
Rigth after Czeck is done
just before danzig or war

DateNr. your chiocemy choice
01.01.1936​
1​
RhinelandRhineland
11.03.1936​
2​
Army InovationsArmy Inovations
20.05.1936​
3​
Tank TreatyTank Treaty
29.07.1936​
4​
4 Year Plan4 Year Plan
07.10.1936​
5​
AutarkyAutarky
16.12.1936​
6​
Hermann Göring WerkeHermann Göring Werke
24.02.1937​
7​
KDF WagenKDF Wagen
05.05.1937​
8​
Extra Research SlotExtra Research Slot
14.07.1937​
9​
ReichsautobahnReichsautobahn
22.09.1937​
10​
AnschlussAnschluss
01.12.1937​
11​
Naval 1 and Naval 2War Economy
09.02.1938​
12​
War EconomyArmy Inovations 2
20.04.1938​
13​
Aviation InnovationsSudetenland
29.06.1938​
14​
SudetenlandFirst Vienna Award
07.09.1938​
15​
First Vienna AwardFate of Czeck
16.11.1938​
16​
Fate of CzeckReasert Eastern Claims
25.01.1939​
17​
Reasert Eastern ClaimsCoal Liquidization
05.04.1939​
18​
Molotov-RibbentropMolotov-Ribbentrop
14.06.1939​
19​
Danzig or WarDanzig or War
23.08.1939​
20​
Synthetic Rubber
01.11.1939​
21​
Operation Weserübung/ Around Maginot

• 2Like
Reactions:
A lot of this is going to depend on your particular preferences. If you want to go full historical for stuff like the MR-Pact or not, etc. Danzig or War is generally 19th focus for the closest you can get to september 1st '39 invasion of poland, and you've got 13 70 day focuses already, which means you can only cram 4 things that aren't reassert eastern claims and danzig or war (dow).

Either next or after 1 other focus, because it takes 3 focuses. You could have more wiggle room if you pushed back the invasion of poland, or if you didn't pick air innovations or your dockyards, but those are probably already done and can't change it.

No. That never really makes sense unless you completely replace it with the Czechslovakia path to avoid losing schacht (I might be forgetting about some other trigger to lose schacht), but doing the slovenia path late is always risky, the allies are more likely to guarantee and start the war early. Or if your whole playbook was based around rushing anchluss and going down this focus tree instead of your industrial one, which is a weaker move.

You'd have to do it either next, or after your fate of czech path.

The coal and rubber focuses would have been nice, but you opted for air and sea.

thanks!

so MR-Pact would be my next pick, to keep Schacht a little bit longer
afterwards the 3 focusses for Czech...

...hope I will find a place for the two oil/rubber foci later...

Sudentenland now if you want to go to war at historic dates.
Slowenia does only make sence if you skip Sudentenland and go that route completly.
Rigth after Czeck is done
just before danzig or war

DateNr.your chiocemy choice
01.01.1936​
1​
RhinelandRhineland
11.03.1936​
2​
Army InovationsArmy Inovations
20.05.1936​
3​
Tank TreatyTank Treaty
29.07.1936​
4​
4 Year Plan4 Year Plan
07.10.1936​
5​
AutarkyAutarky
16.12.1936​
6​
Hermann Göring WerkeHermann Göring Werke
24.02.1937​
7​
KDF WagenKDF Wagen
05.05.1937​
8​
Extra Research SlotExtra Research Slot
14.07.1937​
9​
ReichsautobahnReichsautobahn
22.09.1937​
10​
AnschlussAnschluss
01.12.1937​
11​
Naval 1 and Naval 2War Economy
09.02.1938​
12​
War EconomyArmy Inovations 2
20.04.1938​
13​
Aviation InnovationsSudetenland
29.06.1938​
14​
SudetenlandFirst Vienna Award
07.09.1938​
15​
First Vienna AwardFate of Czeck
16.11.1938​
16​
Fate of CzeckReasert Eastern Claims
25.01.1939​
17​
Reasert Eastern ClaimsCoal Liquidization
05.04.1939​
18​
Molotov-RibbentropMolotov-Ribbentrop
14.06.1939​
19​
Danzig or WarDanzig or War
23.08.1939​
20​
Synthetic Rubber
01.11.1939​
21​
Operation Weserübung/ Around Maginot

thanks!

subsequently I would also do War Economy directly after Anschluss.

EDIT: also not sure why I decided to take "Aviation Innovations" that early - subsequently I wouldn't do that again.

EDIT 2: think I will reload and take Coal Liquidization or Sudetenland? What is the reason that you take Sudetenland at that point? (always thought it would be better to keep tension low as long as possible)

As I didn't go for am extreme tank-rush, I have no use for Army Innovations that early, as I'm still researching Pz. IV.

Are there any disadvantages from taking Molotov-Ribbentrop and Eastern Claims before Sudetenland to keep Schacht longer?

Last edited:
thanks!

so MR-Pact would be my next pick, to keep Schacht a little bit longer
afterwards the 3 focusses for Czech...

...hope I will find a place for the two oil/rubber foci later...
I dont think you will need Schacht any longer as at mid 1938, you should really start pumping out mils

Reactions:
I dont think you will need Schacht any longer as at mid 1938, you should really start pumping out mils

you 're right - just forgot that Schacht doesn't give a bonus to mils, next pp-pick will be Funk therefore.

right now (29.06.1938) I have:

72 civs (4 more under construction)
41 mils
15 docks
02 build refineries

thanks!

subsequently I would also do War Economy directly after Anschluss.

EDIT: also not sure why I decided to take "Aviation Innovations" that early - subsequently I wouldn't do that again.

As I didn't go for am extreme tank-rush, I have no use for Army Innovations that early, as I'm still researching Pz. IV.

Are there any disadvantages from taking Molotov-Ribbentrop and Eastern Claims before Sudetenland to keep Schacht longer?
Mid 38 you should really start thinking about building mils. The army innovations 2 is because the 2 additional bonus for the doctrine, not only the panzer.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Mid 38 you should really start thinking about building mils. The army innovations 2 is because the 2 additional bonus for the doctrine, not only the panzer.

makes sense, but I'm also a bit late on MW, therefore Army Innovations would be "in time" as 13th pick for me.

Will load a save and change my 12th pick (as "Aviation Innovation" was a mistake to take)...

...but not sure if should take Coal Liquid instead?

Also not sure, if I want to start "Fall Gelb" or "Weserübung" in January (weather?) or delay it better to March/April

makes sense, but I'm also a bit late on MW, therefore Army Innovations would be "in time" as 13th pick for me?

Will load a save and change my 12th pick (as Aviation Innovation was a mistake)...

...but not sure if should take Coal Liquid instead.

Also not sure, if I want to start "Fall Gelb" in January (weather?) or better in March/April
Weather is not really present to worry about in HOI IV vanilla, in some mods it may have a really hard impact, i do it for historical purposes.

think I will try it this way:

13. Army Innovations II
14. Sudetenland
15. First Vienna Award
16. Fate of Czech
17. Eastern Claims
18. Coal Liquid.
19. M-R
20. Danzig
21. Syn.Rubber
22. Maginot
23. Aviation Innovation (?)
24. Weserübung

...or do I lose to much time this way?

btw. what is the reason for the "war against france"-FT?