• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hadral

Recruit
57 Badges
Mar 30, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Marketplace increase the local trade income by 10%, and I am trying to figure out what does it mean.

Playing with Hungary, the economy window shows a trade income of 26%. Some Hungarian merchants are trading in Venezia. If I build a marketplace in a province that trade through Venezia, does it will increase the trade income to 36% ?

That's about how it looks according to the Trade reference section in the EU3 wiki.

Unless you put a National Idea into it and work aggressively at moving the Mercantilism slider toward Free Trade, I've never had much luck with keeping traders in CoTs after the first couple of years. They work fine for 1-3 years, and then suddenly they're all driven out and gone in a matter of days or weeks. Hungary ends up falling behind in techs, and once the Merchant Republics start pouring research points and National Ideas into Trade, the cost of replacing traders far exceeds the income they bring in. If you automate merchant placement, it can easily bankrupt you. Generally, I end up first building Constables for the tax income, and then Churches to reduce the inevitable cost of recovering Stability, which you will need to do a ridiculous amount of if/when you Westernize. After that, Workshops will further boost tax income, and basic ports in your coastal cities improve local production income slightly.

If you can get into the HRE (there are a couple of ways), the shared research points and small bonuses to member states will help speed up your own research, and you'll at least fall behind at a slower rate. Ultimately, you've got to Westernize in order to compete, which will take numerous slider moves (over the course of a century or longer) for both Centralization and Innovation (making Stability really expensive). After that, Hungary can become a competitive trader.

The alternative is to conquer a Center of Trade (hint: Venice isn't an HRE member), and keep the Trade slider fully to the left (Mercantilism) to significantly increase your domestic compete chance, but that will also make it next to impossible to compete outside your own CoTs.

I finally build a marketplace shortly after posting on the forum and realizing that I should find by myself, with a save as backup option !

The marketplace build in Croatia just increase by 10% the trade value of the clothes produced there. No big deal. I guess the trade buildings are good when you own a CoT.

For now after 30 years I still have my 5 merchants working in Venice, and being a member of the Venetian Trade League helps. However playing Hungary is tough, so thanks for the advice !

Marketplaces also have another thing going for them so they are slightly better than you think. The provinces trade value is also what the production value is based on so you also get a slight increase in production value from the marketplace. Not a huge deal but it's at least something.

And also.. If you plan on going big, the two last buildings in the trade tree are amazing.. Both of those gives national effects so if you build a bunch of them, your whole country will be swimming in money. :) But that would of course be late in the game.