Maritime Southeast Asia Map and Culture Overhaul : Indonesia, Champa, and Malaysia.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jul 31, 2018
Hello guys!
I noticed SEA update and would like to propose SEA Archipelago overhaul.
I will start with overall culture and mandala maps and you can read the details under the first post.

Mandala Map.jpg

Mandala was correspondence to both "Zone of Influence" and "Trade Zone." In each Mandala, there was a dominant empire and one or more port. There were 9 Mandalas in SEA Archipelago.
In 1444, several Mandalas were well established namely Majapahit, Banjar and Brunei.
Several Mandalas were on the rise namely Aceh, Pattani, Makassar and Malacca.
Several has yet to start their own trading empire, namely Ternate and Tidore.

I have also proposed Culture overhaul as follows:

Culture Map.jpg

List of all proposed culture:
1) Malay
2) Cham
3) Minang
4) Aceh
5) Javanese
6) Sundanese
7) Bugis
8) Wolio
9) Papuan

As there are currently more than 600 ethnicity in Indonesia, I don't think my proposal is unreasonable.
I also hope this clears out the confusion of culture in Maritime Southeast Asia. As modern border yet to be established, Malaysia, Indonesia,and Philippines are really tied to each other and there are literally no difference between them.

Attachments

• Mandala Map.jpg
    Mandala Map.jpg
    2,2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
[NEW MAP FOR MALAYSIA, SUMATRA, JAVA, BORNEO AND CHAMPA]
Western.jpg

Malay.jpg

[MALACCA MANDALA]
Malay world was a Mandala within Malacca zone of influence.
The leader:
Sultanate of Malacca
Culture : Malay
[NEW CORE] Sultanate of Singapura in Singapore
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Selangor in Selangor
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Johor in Johor
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Riau-Lingga in Bintan and Lingga

Vassal:
Sultanate of Aru, replacing Deli. Deli didn't exist back in 1444.
Ruler Culture : Malay
Majority Culture : Batak
I added passage from Aru to Pagaruyung and another one inside pagaruyung as the mountain was passable at that area

Other Country in Malacca Mandala:
Kingdom of Chermin - The most loyal vassal of Majapahit
Ruler : Sang Aji Jayaningrat
Ruler Culture : Javanese
Majority Culture : Malay
[NEW CORE] Pahang core in Semantan
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Perak in Johor

Kingdom of Pahang - Vassal of Ligor (Ligor would be independent)
Majority Culture : Malay
Religion : Hinduism

[PATTANI MANDALA]
Sultanate of Pattani
was a mighty Malay state in 1444 who would fight Ayuthayya four times throughout history. Pattani is also a center of trade and a center of its own Mandala

The Member:
Sultanate of Kedah
Culure : Malay
Tributary state of Ayutthaya

Sultanate of Kelantan
No change

Kingdom of Ligor
Tributary state of Ayuthaya
Kingdom of Pahang as vassal
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Singora Event

[ACEH MANDALA]
This is probably the area with the major change. There are 8 tags . I scraped Aceh as they didn't even exist back then, they might be a formable state.
There are two tags fighting for the trade dominance:

Sultanate of Lamuri
Culture : Aceh
Province : Lamuri, Banda Aceh and Weh.

Sultanate of Pasai
Province : Pasai, Peurlak and Langkat.
Pasai : Center of Trade
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Langkat in Langkat

The Member of Aceh Mandala:
Sultanate of Pidie
Province : Pidie
Vassal of Lamuri. Center of Trade.

Daya Tribe
Province : Daya
Independent, The only animist state in Aceh region

Sultanate of Linge
Province : Gayo
Independent, Same dynasty with Lamuri. Historical Friend.

Sultanate of Nakur
Ruler Culture : Aceh
Province : Simalungun
Independent, historical rival with Pasai.

Kingdom of Tamiang
Ruler Culture : Java
Province : Deli

Sultanate of Barus
Province : Simalungun

[CASE OF CHAMPA]
Champa would be a formable nation. The existing situation is Vijaya as the leader and the other four as tributary states.
I added one province accordingly, the name of the province equals to the name of the states: Indrapura, Amarvati, Vijaya, Kauthara and Pandu Ranga.
Pandu Ranga has royal marriage tie with Majapahit.

Religion : Hindu with random province with Islamic religion
Culture : Cham

[CASE OF PAGARUYUNG]

Religion : Buddhism
Ruler Culture : Minang
Accepted Culture : Java and Malay
[NEW CORE] Sultanate of Deli core in Pekanbaru
[NEW CORE] Sultanate of Siak in Kokan and Siak

Moko-Moko
Religion : Buddhism
Ruler Culture : Minang

[NEW CORE] Sultanate of Singapura (Singapura)
[NEW CORE] Sultanate of Deli (Pekanbaru)
[NEW CORE] Sultanate of Siak (Kokan and Siak)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Johor (Johor, Singapura and Bintan)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Perak (Perak)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Selangor (Selangor)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Terengganu (Terengganu)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Penang (Penang)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Riau-Lingga (Bintan and Lingga)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Langkat (Langkat)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Lombok (Lombok and Sumbawa Province)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Tulang Bwang (Tulang Bawang)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Jambi (Jambi)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Palembang (Palembang and Bangka)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Sekala Brak (Lampung)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Singora (Songklha)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Negeri Sembilan (Malacca)
[EVENT CORE] Kingdom of Indrapura (Indrapura)

[POSSIBLE NEW EVENT IN MALAYSIA AND SUMATRA]

ACEH
1) Capture of Perak
Aceh would receive new core on Perak due to event

2) Ottoman Submission
Aceh would get event similar toCrimea, where player would be faced with two choice : Become the vassal of Ottoman and be independent

SUMATRA
1) Rantau of Negeri Sembilan
2) Rantau of Inderapura
When Kingdom of Minang Culture (Pagaruyung and Moko-Moko) owns provinces with no inland connection, an event should appear to create a Rantau. Rantau historically were similar to Minang settlement which eventually will become vassals of Pagaruyung.

3) The War of Padri Disaster
The war of Padri is a civil war within Pagaruyung. meant to happen when one province posseses Islamic faith. This will cause disaster with the demand of Islamization of Pagaruyung. The event would cause all Rantau land to be independent. This was a real event that caused Rantau Inderapura and Negeri Sembilan in Malaysia to be independent.

MALAY WORLD
1) The Capture of Pahang
Malacca would attack Ligor somewhere in 1445. Should Malacca win, Pahang would become the vassal of Malacca and converted into Islam.
Should be similar event to Surrender of Maine

2) Perak-Johor Split
Upon the lost of Malacca province, Malacca would split into Perak and Johor Sultanate.

3) Riau-Lingga Sultanate Disaster
An succession crisis in Malay world which would provoke new core on Riau province (Riau-Lingga Sultanate core)

4) The end of Majapahit dominance in Malay Peninsula
Should give Malacca or Malay minor bonus when Chermin annexed, no Hindu or Javanese culture on Malay Peninsula

5) The end of Ayuthaya dominance in Malay Peninsula
Should give bonus when Pahang annexed, no Buddhist or Thai culture on Malay Peninsula

6) Partition of Kelantan
An event for Pattani to vassalize Kelantan and partition it into Terengganu Sultanate and Kelantan Sultanate

7) Partition of Kedah
An event for Pattani to vassalize Kedah and partition it into Kedah and Penang Sultanate

8) Partition of Pattani
Should Pattani defeated by Ayuthayya, the choice to create Sultanate of Reman would appear for Ayuthayya. Both would be Ayuthayya vassal.

9) Penang Trade
Sell Penang for protectorate status with Great Britain

10) Four Color Queen of Pattani
Guaranteed four times constitutive female 4/4/4 rulers for Pattani

11) Thai Assimilation
Cheaper cost to convert Malay culture for Thai owner

12) Sultanate of Singora
When Thai culture state owns province with malay culture, option to release "Sultanate of SIngora" as a vassal would appear. The Singora province would get center of trade and trade bonus.

13) Sultanate of Selangor
Succession crisis event which would trigger Selangor core in Selangor province

1) Vietnam Expansion - In the wake of Vietnam's ambition to expand southward, all five states of Champa would be united into Sultanate of Champa.
2) Religion Conversion - Similarly, Champa would converted to Sunni Muslim
3) Champa Diaspora - For its minuscule size, Champa's diaspora were highly influential. Probably similar event to Byzantine refugee. However, one random province of the receiver would be Islamized.

[NEW FORMABLE]
Sultanate of Aceh
Sultanate of Champa

Borneo.jpg

[BRUNEI MANDALA]
Sultanate of Brunei

No change for Brunei province
Religion : Islam
Majority Culture : Dayak in Inland province, Malay in coastal province

I changed the Northwest province as follows:
Scrapped Sambas because it doesn't exist back then
Rename Pontianak to Siantan - [EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Pontianak
Rename Mempawah - [EVENT CORE] Kingdom of Sambas / Sultanate of Sambas (more on Majapahit Section)
Rename Melinau to Sanggau - [EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Sanggau
Add New Province of Sintang- [EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Sintang
All of above provinces are Hindu and each has one revolter tags when they got Islamized, except for Siantan with Hindu Kingdom event from Majapahit

Sultanate of Sarawak - New Tag on Sarawak and Kuching province

Sultanate of Sulu
More later on Philippines update

Kingdom of Banjar
Kingdom of Banjar is a newly independent kingdom from Majapahit tributary.
Capital : Amuntai
Religion : Hindu
Ruler Culture : Java
Majority Culture : Dayak in Inland province, Malay on coastal provinces
Banjar was an reknown producer of Diamond at this point and has a center of trade for goods from Champa to Manila and Sunda Kelapa.
I revised Banjar border as it was ruled fro, Paser to Sampit according to historical records. I also added province of Amuntai and impassable terrain of Amuntai. New uncolonized province of Tanjungpuun
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Paser (Paser)

Banjar has vassal:
Kingdom of Berau
Revised border with Kutai, additional province of Nunukan.
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Tidung (Tarakan and Malinau)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Bulungan (Nunukan)

Kingdom of Kutai Martapura
Kingdom of Kutai Kertanegara

There are two kingdom of Kutai

[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Tidung (Tarakan and Malinau)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Bulungan (Nunukan)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Paser (Paser)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Pontianak
[EVENT CORE] Kingdom of Sambas / Sultanate of Sambas (more on Majapahit Section)
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Sanggau
[EVENT CORE] Sultanate of Sintang

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
You definitely bring up some very important information, but I just have a couple of criticisms.

Ok so first of all, this isn’t really criticism, but I feel that the devs are reluctant to add too many vassals. Just a heads up! Also do correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Chermin another name for Langkasuka, which in itself is an older name for Kelantan, and according to Wikipedia, Sang Aji Jayaningrat is another name for Sultan Iskandar of Kelantan. Besides that, Ligor definitely was not independent, and basically handed over its subjects to Ayutthaya legally at least, and although Dewa Sura was related to the rulers of Ligor, I definitely wouldn’t call him a Thai.

Additionally, I definitely do not think Pagaruyung directly owned Siak, Indragiri and surrounding areas, as there are historically recorded rulers for these areas, although they could have paid tribute to Pagaruyung, and finally I get you’re trying to represent the semi-autonomous cities of Champa, but they definitely were not independent. They were all basically loosely confederated under the capital city, but didn’t really have full independence. Basically what I’m saying is that all the Cham states should be a vassal of Vijaya, with all the other states becoming a vassal of another of the states when the overlord is annexed.

Besides all these criticisms though, I really liked this suggestion thread. Amazing job!

• 1Like
Reactions:
You definitely bring up some very important information, but I just have a couple of criticisms.

Ok so first of all, this isn’t really criticism, but I feel that the devs are reluctant to add too many vassals. Just a heads up! Also do correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Chermin another name for Langkasuka, which in itself is an older name for Kelantan, and according to Wikipedia, Sang Aji Jayaningrat is another name for Sultan Iskandar of Kelantan. Besides that, Ligor definitely was not independent, and basically handed over its subjects to Ayutthaya legally at least, and although Dewa Sura was related to the rulers of Ligor, I definitely wouldn’t call him a Thai.

Additionally, I definitely do not think Pagaruyung directly owned Siak, Indragiri and surrounding areas, as there are historically recorded rulers for these areas, although they could have paid tribute to Pagaruyung, and finally I get you’re trying to represent the semi-autonomous cities of Champa, but they definitely were not independent. They were all basically loosely confederated under the capital city, but didn’t really have full independence. Basically what I’m saying is that all the Cham states should be a vassal of Vijaya, with all the other states becoming a vassal of another of the states when the overlord is annexed.

Besides all these criticisms though, I really liked this suggestion thread. Amazing job!

Thank you very much!
Yeah, I have my doubt as well that they would add so many OPM in the games, but I guess it's worth a shot, considering how amazing Aceh, Malacca, Pattani and Ayutthaya conflict back then.
1) I'm not sure about Langkasuka, I have read several books which claimed Langkasuka survived until 15th century however most literature mostly focused on its early period and become more hazy as the period goes. I decided to scrap Langkasuka altogether since I can't find reliable source.
2) Based on my understanding, Kelantan was part of Chermin. Sultanate of Chermin, at his height encompassed North Sumatera, Aceh, Perak, Kelantan and Kedah. At 1444, with the decline of Majapahit, part of Chermin became independent. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Kelantan part (on the map) was liberated and under Ayuthayya's influence (which later conquered by Malacca in 1499) while the Chermin part conquered in 1450s. I splitted the area to reflect this situation.
But yes, you are right. they are the same person under Jambi dynasty.
3) Yes Ligor was definitely not independent however I don't think putting Pahang under Ayuthayya is not right either. I guess it was in the same circumstance as Burgundy, where Ligor enjoyed high degree of autonomy such as international trade and maintaining their own dynasty. Probably Ayutthaya mission tree should be modified to add Ligor absorption event
4) I can't find the Sultanate around Siak and Riau area. Aru was a vassal of Malacca, Asahan, Langkat and Riau appeared on later date. Maybe I missed something..
5) Yes, it was loosely confederation but only become fully united in the face of Vietnam excursion, I'm fine whether Paradox want to present it as a united state or five small OPMs.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Java Island.jpg

I added several province on the map to illustrate how populous the Island was.
The other reason is, I would like to point out that although Majapahit is starting to decline, they are still quite far from the actual collapse and still quite formidable.
Sunda, on the other hand, started to crumble after Bubat Tragedy, where most of the royal family killed by Majapahit.

[MAJAPAHIT MANDALA]

Kingdom of Majapahit

Majapahit was a strong Hindu nation which possessed 15 provinces at the start, 10 on mainland Java, 5 provinces at Sumatra Island and another 2 in Borneo
I revised the name of the province using the province name of medieval times, instead of modern times.
Capital : Kahuripan.
Culture : Java

Kingdom of Blambangan
loyal vassal of Majapahit which would become the last Hindu kingdom on Java

Kingdom of Bali
another vassal of Majapahit. I added 2 additional province to Bali. At this point, Lombok was Hindunized and Sumbawa was still animist

Hindu Kingdom of Bima
Although they are closer to Majapahit, they are more influenced by Gowa Sultanate and Sulawesi politics. The exact relationship was not well established, but it was closer to tributary to Gowa
Religion : Moluccan

On the other side of Java, we have:
Kingdom of Sunda
Weakened rival of Majapahit. Still a strong Hindu nation with 9 provinces including its possession on Sumatra Island.
Sunda would be weaker but economically stronger due to lucrative port of Sunda Kelapa and rich provinces in the north. I added impassable terrain of Mount. Salak and poor province of Cipamingkas.
Culture : Sunda

Kingdom of Galuh
Newly independent nation after they broke off their personal union relationship with Sunda. Should be in alliance with Sunda against Majapahit.
Galuh would be shortly reunited again with Sunda in 1450s.
Culture : Sunda

Sultanate of Badau
An Independent Malay Muslim nation on Belitung Island, heavily involved in trade with Melacca

I scrapped Palembang and Jambi from the map because they would only come to existence later when Islam arrived to the region.
In the history, Rengat and Indragiri would be gifted to Melacca for royal marriage dowry. (possibly become an event).

Java Island Revolter.jpg

Above were Event core after Islamization Event:

Sultanate of Banten (Banten Province)
Sultanate of Sumedang Larang (Sumedang Province)
Sultanate of Talaga Manggung (Majalengka Province)
Sultanate of Cirebon (Cirebon Province)
Sultanate of Mataram (Mataram Province)
Sultanate of Pajang (Pajang Province)
Sultanate of Demak (Demak, Mataram, Pajang, Paguhan, Jagaraga, and Wengker Province)
Sultanate of Kalinyamat (Demak Province)
Sultanate of Giri (Kahurpitan Province)

Notable Note:
Sultanate of Demak, which claimed the Western part of Majapahit was successfully conquered and converted Majapahit. Demak should have core on all Majapahit land.

Sultanate of Lombok- which rebel against Bali
Sultanate of Cirebon - An expansionist state which started as a small vassal of Galuh but later would united with 7) Talaga Manggung and 8) Sumedang Larang and conquering and converting the rest of Galuh and Sunda.
Sultanate of Banten - An ally of Cirebon in conquering Sunda. Banten would later conquering 10) Sekala Brak and other Sunda possession in Sumatra.
Sultanate of Tulang Bawang also comes into mind, but I'm still not sure about the exact relationship with the other Sultanate

MAJAPAHIT
1) Refugee of Majapahit (Bali)
After the destruction of Majapahit, Majapahit refugee ran to three place. Bali is one of them. Various Hindu figure, artist and merchant fled Islamized Java.
This should bring incentive

2) Refugee of Majapahit (Blambangan)
After the destruction of Majapahit, Majapahit refugee ran to three place. Blambangan is one of them. Various Hindu figure, artist and merchant fled Islamized Java.
This should bring incentive

3) Refugee of Majapahit (Mempawah)
After the destruction of Majapahit, Majapahit refugee ran to three place. The refugee in Mempawah then created new empire called Kingdom of Sambas.

4) Malacca Marriage Dowry
In exhange of normalization relation with Malacca, we arranged a marriage and give province of Rengat, Indragiri, and Siantas as a gift

5) Islamic Rebel Disaster
Islamic rebels spawned across Java and Sunda land and all of them tried to establish their own Sultanate

Attachments

• Java Island.jpg
    Java Island.jpg
    264,9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Beautiful map of Java! I really like all the Muslim revolter nations; Java was definitely full of different sultanates after Majapahit and I think you really captured the essence of all that.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Pekanbaru is a newly relative city; Siak is already the correct name. Maybe make Pekanbaru capital of Siak province.

The area you named Pekanbaru is very far from it. This area is Labuhanbatu or Padanglawas, which I agree deserves its own province..

Pekanbaru is a newly relative city; Siak is already the correct name. Maybe make Pekanbaru capital of Siak province.

The area you named Pekanbaru is very far from it. This area is Labuhanbatu or Padanglawas, which I agree deserves its own province..

Ah, yes, I missed that. Thanks for your feedback!

East Java might need more provinces to perform the historical civil war of Mataram.
I know Mataram fought several rebellions but I have no idea about civil war, do you mean "Perjanjian Giyanti" which partitioned Mataram into smaller Sultanate?
That would be interesting, but what if no colonial power arrived there?
I'm still thinking that SEA could use new colonialism mechanic instead of the old send-your-colonizer stuff, as colonialism in SEA didn't work like that. (Well, maybe in Northern Philippines)

• 1Like
Reactions:
EASTERN INDONESIA UPDATE
Eastern.jpg

Phew, this area takes longer than I thought.
This area was particularly hard since there is only a scarce resource. Sulawesi Island was literally the hardest, as there are several civilization and cultures in one Island:
1- Wolio : Wolio was Southeast Celebesse people which influenced by Malay kingdom to the East.
2- Bugis : Enough said about Bugis. Their people literally have influence in all Malay and Western Indonesia Kingdoms
3- Minahasan/Visayan : Related to Visayan of Philipinnes
In 1444, Sulawesi also has as many as 40 kingdoms in one Island. I take the liberty to simplify the map.

Note : White text for Kingdom name, Black text for Province name

In 1444, Makassar actually yet to be formed. They are still divided as three smaller Kingdoms, Siang, Gowa, and Tallo. Gowa and Tallo would later formed Makassar and conquered Siang. Makassar would later become the rising star of Celebes, challenging Northern Kingdom of Luwu. (In reality this happened in 1500-1600s but oh well)

Kingdom of Makassar
Culture: Bugis (Wel if you met real Makassarese they would reject this idea but oh well)
Religion : Animism
Kingdom of Makassar was a kingdom with high development and naval supremacy, later they adopted Islam in 1600s.
Kingdom of Makassar should rival Kingdom of Luwu.

Kingdom of Luwu
Culture: Bugis
Kingdom of Luwu in 1444 was a major exporter of Steel and Iron, They are threaten by the rising Makassar to the South

Kingdom of Ajatappareng
Ajatappareng was a confederation of five smaller kingdom in 1600s of Sidenreng, Suppa, Rappang, Sawitto, and Alitta. I took the liberty to represent it only as one unified state.

Kingdom of Bone/ Tellumpoccoe
I had a hard time deciding whether to represent this kingdom as Bone or Tellumpoccoe. Tellumpoccoe was formed in 1600s by Kingdom of Bone, Wajo, and Soppeng. Similar to Ajatappareng, I took the liberty to represent it only as one unified state.

Tribe of Mandar
Smaller Bugis tribe who in history would get Islamized along with the other Bugis kingdoms

Tribe of Toraja
The only untouched mountainous tribe of Bugis- later converted to Christianity due to colonial influence.

Kingdom of Amanatun
Culture : Papua

Kingdom of Bima (In Java parts above)

All of Island East of Amanatun should fall under Makassar influence, as it was the route of Makassar expansion historically

Ternate was a small kingdom based in Ternate Island in 1444 but later would be the biggest Indonesian trading empire (Uli Lima, literally means alliance of five) in 1800s, the center of Islamic religion, as well as the last Sultanate to fall to Colonial power.
Ternate was an expansionist and religious state, acting as spreader of Islam into Eastern Indonesia.

Ternate Kingdom
Culture : Moluccan
Religion in Ternate : Islam
In history, Ternate is ruled by Animist King with large Muslim subjects, he would officially adopt Islam as state religion somewhere between 1450-1460s.

The kingdom which fall under Ternate's zone of influence are:
1) Sultanate of Bacan

2) Kingdom of Bowontehu
Culture : Minahasan/Visayan (related to Visayan of Philippines)
In history, Kingdom of Bowontehu would later reformed into Kingdom of Manado, the king would get baptized and adopt roman catholic as official religion in 1500s.

3) Kingdom of Gorontalo
Culture : Minahasan
Kingdom of Gorontalo would later adopt Islam as official religion in 1530s. They are also spreader of Islam.

4) Kingdom of Buton
Culture : Wolio
Religion: Animism
Would later convert to Islam due to Johor/Malacca influence

5) Kingdom of Konawe

6) Kindom of Banggai

**Uncolonized province of Ceram, Obi, Buru, and Taliabu also incuded under Ternate Mandala)

Similar to its rival but later trusted ally Ternate, Tidore started as a small state in Tidore Island but later would grow into second biggest trading empire in Indonesia (Uli Siwa or Alliance of Nine) and worked along Ternate as the last standing Sultanate to fight colonialism in Indonesia.

Tidore Kingdom
Ternate adopted Islam earlier than Ternate, in 1300s.

The kingdom which fall under Ternate's zone of influence are:
1) Kingdom of Lilinta / Misool
2) Kingdom of Waigama
3) Kingdom of Waigeo
4) Kingdom of Salawati

All of four kingdoms mentioned above are of Papuan culture. In reality they would only adopted feudalism and Islam somewhere between 1500-1600 due to Tidore's influence. In 1444, all of them were small Papuan tribes. All of Papuan provinces and Island East of Timor should fall under Tidore Mandala

Last edited:
Reactions:
Same as in the rest of Asia. Charter land, or conquer it.

I agree, there were no difference between IndoChina with Maritime SEA but I don't know why Maritime SEA had to "make a room for colonialism" while Indochina don't.

Additionally, the charter land system needs to be reworked, what I think right now would be:
1) Historically, Southeast Asian Kingdom allowed foreign power to settled in their land for two reasons:
A) The promise of money, fort and power
B) Crush rival kingdoms
So I guess colonial powers need to subsidize the original owner of the land (manpowers, gold, or military points) in exchange of one province, trade power and casus belly to their rival. They also had to send the colonist to their kingdom.

2) Policy of Charter Company
I think they need separate policy for Charter company, several historical example are:
Britain policy for SEA was to use their subject to administrate their colonial land - increasing their development but more money while the Dutch chose to neglect their subject which means no cost but more unrest

Maybe something along the line. Haven't figured it yet.

• 1Like
Reactions:
View attachment 611439

I added several province on the map to illustrate how populous the Island was.
The other reason is, I would like to point out that although Majapahit is starting to decline, they are still quite far from the actual collapse and still quite formidable.
Sunda, on the other hand, started to crumble after Bubat Tragedy, where most of the royal family killed by Majapahit.
Please recheck the Sunda map, I think Sumedang is misplaced (it should be located around Kawali and Cirebon in that map, not beside Sunda Kalapa). Also, you have two Majalengka, probably you mean Majalaya in one of those?

And Sunda was still well and prosper, not crumbling as you claim.
King Niskala Wastu Kancana at the start of the game in 1444 was the son of king Linggabuana and brother of princess Dyah Pitaloka who both died in the Battle of Bubat in 1357 (he was still too young at the time so he didn't go). After Bubat tragedy, Bunisora (Linggabuana's brother) became regent until Niskala Wastu Kancana came to age, who then ruled for over a hundred years (1371-1475). His reign was known as a long era of peace and prosperity.
Sunda was split between his two sons later, but once again united under his grandson King Sri Baduga Maharaja (or better known as Prabu/King Siliwangi, reigned 1482-1521). It was during the reign of Sri Baduga when Sunda lost Cirebon to Demak, diplomatically. The relationship was strained but never escalated to open conflict. After Sri Baduga died, the treaty between Sunda and Portuguese (chartered land, according to your term) invited invasion from Demak, as Demak was enemy of Portuguese. Sunda Kalapa fell to Demak in 1527 and Sunda continued to decline after that.

On the other hand, even though Majapahit was still okay in 1444, it would soon enter a long turmoil period.
Queen Suhita died in 1447 (reigned for about 20 years) and succeeded by her brother Kertawijaya. Only reigning for 4 years, Kertawijaya died in 1451 and succeded by his son Rajasawardhana. In 1453 (only 2 years), Rajasawardhana died and Majapahit entered 3 years of king-less period (succession conflict between Rajasawardhana's eldest son and his uncle / father-in-law). In 1456, Girisawardhana (the uncle / father-in-law) took the throne. In 1466 (10 years), Girisawardhana died and succeeded by Singhawikramawardhana (the youngest son of Kertawijaya), which caused his nephews / sons of Rajasawardhana to rebel. The attack to Trowulan in 1468 destroyed the centuries old king city, and the kingdom's capital was then moved to Daha. Well, there were several interpretations of the period, but in short Majapahit was never peaceful again until it was completely ruined. In the end, Demak claimed as the successor of Majapahit.

You see, the Majapahit disaster in the Dev Diary (stab in stability, half lifespan of ruler) was already on mark IMO.

Last edited:
A lot of interesting insight, it would certainly make the region much more interesting.

Indonesia is one of the regions of the world most hurt by the EU4's map projection. I feel like it's entirely justified to add a number of extra tags and provinces there, but I also know that many of those provinces would appear exceedingly small on the map. I wonder if perhaps it's time for the entire EU5 world map to be increased in size or even better, for the map projection to be changed (although that may not be possible).