• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hey everyone, we now present the first developer diary for March of the Eagles, a new game from Paradox Development Studio!

To be frank, this game will be a much more focused experience than you might be used to from games developed by Paradox Development Studio (PDS). It takes place in a short time period and the game is all about warfare with set victory conditions.

So even though it will look a lot like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings, March of the Eagles (MoTE) is a smaller but still very fulfilling experience. Small time frame, and a small price even, but the gameplay itself will be as expansive and challenging as you have come to expect from us. Just because the stage is small, that doesn't mean the performance can't fill the house... :)

March of the Eagles – A PDS love child
We like to think of all of our games as one big family, so, think of March of the Eagles as a love child with a lot of parents. It has the war focus from Hearts of Iron, the time frame and visuals from Europa Universalis, and victory conditions similar to those you've seen in Sengoku.
And, strangely enough, some of the ideas we had for March of the Eagles (like coalitions) have found their way into Europa Universalis IV. See how nicely all of our games play together?

The Map & the Countries at your disposal
When you design a wargame like this, you need a map where the warfare of the time-period can be performed. For a game in the Napoleonic era, there needs to be enough space to maneuver your armies, but small enough that you don't end up with units on a company level. What we have created is a map of about 2,800 provinces covering Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. What you will see is different in March of the Eagles (MoTE), is that not every province is an actual city providing manpower and tax, only a few are. The rest are basically locations for armies to maneuver on.

Just like in Hearts of Iron or Sengoku, the focus of March of the Eagles is on the major players. You can play as a minor state if you like – we know how much you guys love the freedom to play tiny German bishoprics – but if you do, the best you can usually hope for is to end up on the winning side of the great war raging around you. As one of the eight great powers, however, you have the chance to establish your dominance at sea and on land, making yourself the most powerful nation in Europe.

The game design & our goal with March of the Eagles
When designing a game you have a goal of what you want to achieve with a game. What we want to create with March of the Eagles, is to recreated the ambitions of the European counties of the era. And we want to create the fluidity of alliances and coalitions that constantly change, all to take down the dominant power or strengthen one-selves.

If we were asked to describe what this game was about, except for the obvious answer (Napoleon!), we'd say that March of the Eagles is about how war changes nations and the revolutionary power of conflict. You lead a nation and it will be transformed in a short but chaotic decade. This will be a new way of experiencing the wars of this era, with a deeper understanding of how Napoleon's brilliance and France's new mass armies forced the rest of Europe to catch up.

We'll be back every week with details on the game, but here is a small screenshot of the Russian-Austrian border...
attachment.php

Attachments

• MarchoftheEagles_Alpha_screenshot_02.png
    MarchoftheEagles_Alpha_screenshot_02.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 17.287
Excellent! There hasn't been a decent Napoleon game since Cossacks II, but I have full trust in Johan and gang...

Can't wait to try this one out! it looks very nice!

Thanks for the DD!

Umh...What are the top 8 nations?
I would assume
France
Britian
Russia
Prussia
Austria
Then ottomans, spain, and either denmark or sweden?
I feel like I am missing someone big :?
EDIT: OK so sweden is being put over Denmark which i think is not a good choice.Denmark was the only nation that had a sliver of a chance to challenge Britian at sea. This is blatant Sweden nationilism :O

Umh...What are the top 8 nations?
I would assume
France
Britian
Russia
Prussia
Austria
Then ottomans, spain, and either denmark or sweden?
I feel like I am missing someone big :?
EDIT: OK so sweden is being put over Denmark which i think is not a good choice.Denmark was the only nation that had a sliver of a chance to challenge Britian at sea. This is blatant Sweden nationilism :O

Well Sweden was the more dominant power "land wise" but you are right Denmark should have been focused just as much due to the naval power at the games start :) but well thats still possible to change!

I believe that the 8 big nations has been revealed somewhere

Here:
UK, France and Russia are the major ones, should be easiest to win as.
Prussia & Austria are next tier.
Ottomans, Spain and Sweden are the hardest to win as..

(At least iirc, Sweden only briefly held a bit of land in NA, right?)

There was an african colony and a caribbean island as well, and for a very short time (a few months) there was a factory in India as well, with a planned fort (in Porto Novo) but that came to a sudden end as the British attacked shortly after it's founding. Denmark definitely had more and more long lasting colonies though.

None of these things are actually on the map for this game though ;)

I'm really after this game. I like the idea of a PDS game more focused like Sengoku (though medieval Japan is not my favourite environment), and Napoleon is a perfect choice IMO.

I assume the six symbols up in the left will address you to specific screens for
a) Government (crown)
b) Diplomacy (flags)
c) Economy (coins)
d) Military (fusils)
e) Research (lightbulb)
f) Victory conditions / status (dove)

What do you think of other symbols in the screen.

WOW now I have something to look for on mondays!
And at first I thought that tab on the bottom right was a crusade on Persia.... hmmm... I thought that the map was focused on europe only but now that it also has middle east and Persia.... this sparks me an idea for an AAR :)

I notice the manpower-counter is quite front and center. Does that mean the gameplay will revolve around managing your population in order to have soldiers for a long war, or will it be a slowly restoring number like in EU?

Fantastic! I've actually been curious if Paradox would ever make a game purely based on the Napoleonic Wars, and I'm thrilled to see that it's actually in the works! :)

I'm really excited about all of the new content under development; we have EUIV, an expansion for both CKII and HoI3, as well as this... Thank you for your dedication to your games' quality and enjoyment. I am very grateful.

Just figured I should mention I get a weird permission error for the newspost for this thread, blocks me out. Had to find it through the forums.

I can't wait to see how this game turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.