• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
"The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

Hey everyone!
The time has come to flex your military muscles and learn about each and every muscle group in your army. The core of March of the Eagles is warfare, so you have to know your body inside and out!
Armies are your prime instruments of power. And to master your armies, you need to be aware of the different brigades of your armies and their strengths and weaknesses.

Armies are divided into brigades that are organized in center, right and left flanks as well as reserves. You can recruit new brigades in any core province under your control, but recruiting in city provinces is far quicker than drawing from the country ones. Recruiting new brigades costs manpower and gold, and maintenance and reinforcement use these same resources.

Each brigade belongs to one of the following categories. A brigade's category defines its abilities (what they can do) while the brigade's type defines its statistics, (how well they do it).

Brigades can be Guard, Line Infantry, Light Infantry, Militia, Cavalry, Artillery and Service. The maximum strength varies between different brigades. Battlefield casualties and general attrition will naturally reduce the number of men as you play, but this will be slowly reinforced. Each regiment has offensive and defensive characteristics. Some have attributes that favor the attack, some favor the defense, and others are suited for a more balanced approach. Each approach has its advantages and disadvantages depending on your circumstances, and it will be up to you to decide what kind of army you want.

Guard
Guard Brigade
Guards are definitely your elite troops. These are the men you will want to have in your reserves or center line for when you need a decisive push to force the battle to a favorable conclusion.

Line Infantry
Infantry Brigade
These are the reliable foot soldiers and the backbone of your army. You might say that infantry is the generic type of unit, and will comprise the bulk of your army. They are good to have, but they don´t have any specific unique strengths. They may not have horses or artillery weapons, but they compensate with their discipline and physical strength. The infantryman himself, with or without his personal weapon, is considered a weapon system on his own. Your land-based soldiers are specifically trained for the role of fighting on foot and engage the enemy face-to-face.

Garrison Brigade
Garrison Brigades have lower maintenance costs than the regular line infantry units and are generally bad at moving across the map. These soldiers are best kept guarding your forts and borders and used just as their name suggests – protecting what you already hold.

Militia
Militia Brigade
These are for when you need men and lots of them - but you don´t have the cash on hand to get front line men. Militia are basically cheap, mass troops for when you have lots of manpower to exploit, but not much gold to get them up to regular battle quality.

Militia Garrison Brigade
The Militia Garrison Brigade is cheaper in maintenance compared to the regular militia infantry units and bad at moving across the map. Best kept guarding your forts and borders, just like regular garrison troops.

Light Infantry
Light Infantry Brigade.
This is the flashier brigade, you might say. Light infantry primarily represent skirmishers, and they are ideal for those special tactics you will employ in battles.

Cavalry
Cavalry Brigade
Dragoon Brigade
Guard Cavalry Brigade
Heavy Cavalry Brigade
Light Cavalry Brigade

Fast and furious, they are your merry and mounted men. With their mobility, they can multiply the fighting value of even the smallest forces. These highly mobile forces can outflank and avoid attacks, surprise and overpower enemies, and retreat and escape in the blink of an eye. Not to mention that fighting from horseback gives greater height, speed, and inertial mass over an opponent on foot. All of these are variations of the same type.

Artillery
Artillery Brigade
Artillery is a group of infantry with the added power of very powerful projectile weapons. They are the most lethal form of land-based armament you can have at your command. A vast majority of the deaths during the Napoleonic Wars will come from artillery.

Garrison Artillery Brigade
Heavy stationary guns that have a slow movement rate, intended to defend forts and strongpoints.

Horse Artillery Brigade
These men sacrifice dealing damage for speed and is what you will want for your fast all cavalry armies.

Service Brigade/ Supply Train
The Supply Train unit type is the center of supply for your armies on the move and will carry whatever your other troops need as they cross through hostile lands. But keep in mind that the Supply train cannot fight and is best kept in the reserves during combat, to make sure your army don´t lose due to attrition.

Every country has unique collection of brigades, and the actual abilities of each and even their size will depend on the country.

Now you know your muscles and we hope you will put them to good use :cool:
So start planning your army, next week we talk about Leaders!

6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks interesting. Any information on what Initiative covers? Chance of unit operating on its own without orders from a general? Or sheer oportunism covered through increased chance of combat events?

First!

How will reserves work?

We'll talk in detail about that during the combat development diary.

Looks interesting. Any information on what Initiative covers? Chance of unit operating on its own without orders from a general? Or sheer oportunism covered through increased chance of combat events?

Neither of that actually. :)

I'm glad that I was right about the Brigade being the primary unit in MotE :)
However (and I know Leaders will be up next week) I am a bit puzzled by this screenshot. It seems that Friedrich von Kalckreuth is the Corps commander but also the leader of the reserves.
Johann von Thielmann is commanding the left flank and seems to be a divisional commander. But there's nobody commanding the center and right flank. Is that because there is only one division in this corps? And if so, why wouldn't a brigade commander step up to be the commander of the flank?

Also, some Brigades have standard names such as 1. Brigade and 17. Bte while others are named after their Brigade commander. Why is this so.

I'm glad that I was right about the Brigade being the primary unit in MotE :)
However (and I know Leaders will be up next week) I am a bit puzzled by this screenshot. It seems that Friedrich von Kalckreuth is the Corps commander but also the leader of the reserves.
Johann von Thielmann is commanding the left flank and seems to be a divisional commander. But there's nobody commanding the center and right flank. Is that because there is only one division in this corps? And if so, why wouldn't a brigade commander step up to be the commander of the flank?

Also, some Brigades have standard names such as 1. Brigade and 17. Bte while others are named after their Brigade commander. Why is this so.

Beta screenshot?

Btw, I really like how this game take form

Siege Artillery? Engineers/miners/sappers?

If you have either of these, you can breach/assault. If you don't, assaulting is suicide and campaigns can fail, as even Wellington found out.

Smells like AGEOD :) I like it.

I hope this kind of subtile distinction and organisation is used for EUIV, but I suppose it first needs to be tested here.

Smells like AGEOD :) I like it.

I hope this kind of subtile distinction and organisation is used for EUIV, but I suppose it first needs to be tested here.

I think that's what they plan to do

Looks like AGEOD left their mark. I mean that in the best way possible, of course. After all, detail in combat is much appreciated.