March of the Eagles – Developer Diary 4 – Military Access & Expeditionary Forces

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
“Everything in war is very simple. But the simplest thing is difficult.”
Karl Von Clausewitz​

Welcome to the new developer diary for March of the Eagles! Today we´re going to reveal in-depth information regarding military access, expeditionary forces and guarantees.

Military Access
Just as in many Paradox grand strategy games, you can grant and request military access. In other words, you can give another country permission to cross your provinces or ask someone to give you permission to cross their provinces. If granted, military access will enable you or the country who asks for it to march through another country's provinces as well as dock at its ports. You can't declare war on a country that has granted you military access so don´t worry about sneak attacks. By granting military access you are not letting your enemies come running up your doorstep.

Expeditionary Forces
Like Hearts of Iron III, March of the Eagles allows you to use Expeditionary Forces, though they are handled a little differently. An Expeditionary Force is a military detachment dispatched by one country to fight in another and are controlled by the receiving nation. When it comes to expeditionary forces, you basically have three different actions at your hands: Send, request and return forces.

Members of your coalition may ask you to send an Expeditionary Force, and this force will then controlled by the country who asked for it. The force can be either a land force or a naval force, and can be merged with their armies or navies to buttress their military strength. The country that controls the Expeditionary Force is responsible for any reinforcements or maintenance costs. The Expeditionary Force can, of course, be returned to the country that provided it.

When it comes to Expeditionary Forces from your satellites and vassals, you don´t need to ask or even be polite. They are yours to command and you can pick and choose from those nations to get Expeditionary forces, effectively drafting their men to serve in your armies.

attachment.php

Proclaim Guarantees
We wrote about coalitions in last week's developer's diary and outlined the consequences for entering a coalition, including a promise to join them in their wars. However you may also proclaim guarantees to weaker countries outside of your coalition. If you choose to proclaim a guarantee that means that you will defend a weaker country and come to its defense by joining the war if the country is attacked.
This differs from coalitions between states which are always bilateral: those are mutual agreement where both sides trust each other to come to each other’s defense when attacked.

A guarantee on the other hand is a unilateral defensive alliance. Only the country that proclaimed the guarantee has an obligation to come to the weaker country's support in war.

You can renege on this obligation, of course, and choose not to join the war – breaking your promise and your guarantee. Doing this will cost you some prestige, however. Nobody respects a nation that doesn't back its words with actions.

Next week, we'll be back and talk about the armies...

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    2,1 MB · Views: 9.341
Like the look of the forts

Well, this game looks to be shaping up quite nicely. I somehow doubt that I will be able to resist buying.

Any ETA on release for this title? I suppose what really matters is whether it'll be before, after, or at the same time as EU IV.

Looks good. Is there any reason for the slightly odd positioning of Amsterdam, or is that for Balance?

If not, probably the easiest thing to do (as in just rename a couple of provinces, even to the extent of keeping city locations) is to make the province of Den Haag, Amsterdam province, and rename old Amsterdam Guelderland with a capital at Arnhem (or just province Arnhem).

In the picture it says Artillery 3400. That's a lot of Artillery pieces!
Ok I know it refers to the number of men in the Artillery Batteries, but it would be so much nicer to have the Artillery pieces count instead. Is this just a leftover from EU3?
Any way to change it?

Well, this game looks to be shaping up quite nicely. I somehow doubt that I will be able to resist buying.

Any ETA on release for this title? I suppose what really matters is whether it'll be before, after, or at the same time as EU IV.

It should be ready rather soon, expect it to be out at least six months before eu4.

MotE Q1 2013
EU4 Q3-4 2013

Edit. Emued by Johan himself :)

Can EXP forces be retrieved instantly?

they are still in the province they were when you asked for them

Looks good. Is there any reason for the slightly odd positioning of Amsterdam, or is that for Balance?

If not, probably the easiest thing to do (as in just rename a couple of provinces, even to the extent of keeping city locations) is to make the province of Den Haag, Amsterdam province, and rename old Amsterdam Guelderland with a capital at Arnhem (or just province Arnhem).

think balance, gotta check with King.

In the picture it says Artillery 3400. That's a lot of Artillery pieces!
Ok I know it refers to the number of men in the Artillery Batteries, but it would be so much nicer to have the Artillery pieces count instead. Is this just a leftover from EU3?
Any way to change it?

no, its intended to be like that.. (else you won't see losses etc easily.)

Thought so :)
It's just that in almost all literature on the period, it's always number of Cavalry, number of Infantry and number of Artillery pieces. So i'm kinda used to that.
But it's not a big deal of course.

Didn't EU1 (and EU2 possibly) have artillery as pieces vs the number of men serving them? My opinion, nothing else, but that artillery: 34 does look better than artillery 3,400.... And who cares if we can see losses like 3,213... round them up, nobody cares when it comes to artillery (besides, a cannon half damaged is a casualty anyway).

Will the AI request expeditionary forces from a player?

A suggestion then: display the number as
Artillery: 3 400 (34 guns)

I appreciate that it won't affect the gameplay itself -and the "34 guns" part can be dropped in places in the interface where there's no room for it - but I do think it would help immersion a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.