• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SolSara

Lt. General
103 Badges
Dec 26, 2009
www.sarawendel.se
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • War of the Vikings
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hey everyone and welcome to the 18th developer diary for March of the Eagles!

Today we take a look at two rather different combatants – Sweden vs. Russia. These are two great Northern powers. Not a fair fight, you say? What do you mean? Sweden is the grandest nation of them all!

Wait, that's not very Jante now, is it? Forget I said that ;) (What's Jante? We'll explain that in a moment.)

Combatant 1: Sweden:

Once feared as the Lion of the North, when Sweden roared the Baltic trembled. Then the loss of the Great Northern War saw the Lion caged, doomed to pace inside its small prison, its roar now but a whimper. Sweden still holds a tiny part of piece of its once impressive German empire, but, at best, Sweden is a first-rate second-rate power. A colder Portugal, maybe.

The revolution in France has changed all that. Our jailers' eyes have turned to Paris and the bars of our cage are the brittlest they have ever been. Now is our chance, now is our time to come roaring back onto the world stage! If Sweden times its interventions wisely, it can use the French distraction to hassle a harried Prussia or Russia - and its once great armies could again be that extra weight one coalition needs to tip the scales in its favor.

Sweden’s national ideas

Swedish Practicality
The Swedish practicality enables our military leader to extract theory from battlefield encounters and then turn that into practice. Swedish troops gain experience 10% faster.

Swedish Conscription
At least we still have the draft. A strong bureaucracy and history of professionalism means Sweden gets bonuses to manpower and recruitment speed: one third more men than normal and a brigade build time that is one third shorter.

The Law of Jante
Jante is the Swedish idea that individual success is to be doubted, and that boasting of what you've achieved on your own is unseemly, and worse, un-Swedish. 'Don't convince yourself that you're better than us'.
National Revolt Risk: -2.00

Reorganisation of the Privy Council
The government and the control of foreign affairs has been placed in the hands of the monarch, centralizing this delicate sphere of operations.
Monthly Diplomats: +1.00

Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences promotes the sciences, primarily natural science and mathematics. Some of these ideas will prove useful in war.
Monthly Idea Points: +10.00

Combatant 2: Russia:
Since the reign of Peter the Great, Russia has been transformed from a large but backward state on the fringes of Europe into a Great Power ruling vast expanses of territory, expanding in all directions. The strategic position Russia has is unenviable - with major powers Prussia and Austria able to jointly press her on the west, but with large amounts of land to trade for time, Russia is virtually unconquerable. It can be beaten and bloodied, but size and hordes of young men to be sent to war mean it is never out for long.

There is a new expansionist power on the block that is as hungry as we are and with an equally vast army at its disposal - and it's better trained, too. Do we oppose this upstart and maintain the status quo or take advantage of the upsetting of the traditional balance of power to achieve our own goals in the Balkans and Baltic?

Russian National Ideas

Cossacks
The Cossacks are cavalry units, excellent for scouting and reconnaissance duties, as well as undertaking ambushes. Despite a proud history of independence, these strike troops of the army have proven loyal to the Tsar and can be mobilised very quickly.
Cavalry Cost: -33.00%

Russia Dual Capitals
St. Petersburg and Moscow share the importance of being the capitals of Russia, St. Petersburg as the residence of the Tsar and official capital, and Moscow being the secondary capital.
Monthly War Exhaustion: -0.05

Serfdom
The Russian serfs serve the landowners and can be forcibly recruited as soldiers for the Russian army.
National Manpower Modifier: +33.00%

Scorched Earth Policies
To hinder the enemy's troops from capturing anything that might be useful, a Russian army on the move may destroy anything that even looks important - farms, fields, orchards.
Can use scorch earth tactics

General Winter
General Winter has foiled so many military invasions and is Russia's secret weapon. Only Russian soldiers will not have supply issues tied to the seasons. Let the snows come - Russia's fighting men will still eat.

We are closing in on the release of March of the Eagles, so it might be good to know the facts too. The game is set for release the 18th of February and will cost 19,99 USD.

And here is the developer diary archive, so you can read up on what the game will offer you:

March of the Eagles Development Diary Archive

Here's some screenshots:
View attachment MotE_2.png View attachment MotE_11.png View attachment MotE_14.png

Cheers,
SolSara

[video=youtube;hUi0eoCzcwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUi0eoCzcwY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh... and if being limited in what to grab.. well.. why not scorch the enemy cities you couldnt take. Should keep them from taking their revenge for a while... and just GOTTA push that button in paris.. haha

Burn the cities and pile pyramids of skulls..
Tsar = Basileus + Khan. Indeed.

I like the Russian ideas! Looking forward to this.

Does the idea "Only Russian soldiers will not have supply issues tied to the seasons" applies only to russian soldiers fighting in Russia or anywhere else? If later than this could be overpowered IMHO

hmm.. a couple of pure cossack armies for grabbing the non-forts & establishing stops for enemy armies to reinforce...
Even sending a few deep down to scorch uppsala etc unprotected cities, while the slower lumbering infantry & cannon armies are besieging forts.

Yeah, thats how the tsar fights :p
Not mixed armes like everyone else.

Does the idea "Only Russian soldiers will not have supply issues tied to the seasons" applies only to russian soldiers fighting in Russia or anywhere else? If later than this could be overpowered IMHO

More overpowering than austria paying just 50% of army maintenance costs? Or Frances +50% to Guard attacks?

Jante-Law ftw! ^^

Swedish Conscription seems a bit too powerful for a single idea. It's objectively better than, say, Russia's "Serfdom." In fact, it's about equal to Serfdom AND Cossacks together. Did Sweden really have that large of an army?

Swedish Conscription seems a bit too powerful for a single idea. It's objectively better than, say, Russia's "Serfdom." In fact, it's about equal to Serfdom AND Cossacks together. Did Sweden really have that large of an army?

For the tiny economy and manpower, yes

Sweden seems a bit... over powered. While Paradox games aren't really known for being balanced, (I'm looking at you, Vicky2.) and I don't mind Sweden being the total bad ass it really is, it brings up the question of gameplay vs. realism.

On a side note, look at all those provinces! So many...!

Jante's Law was written by Aksel Sandemose, a dane with norwegian mother, in 1933 while staying in a cottage in Norway. Although I can't see the the reason why you would call Jante's Law one of Napoleonic Sweden's national ideas, I completely understand the mentality aspect, as the first thing I thought as I read it was "Who do does Swedes think they are claiming Jante's Law for themselves"

I'm Norwegian btw, and Sandemose rented the cottage from my great-grandfather, an artist/writer who helped with the book.

Sweden seems a bit... over powered. While Paradox games aren't really known for being balanced, (I'm looking at you, Vicky2.) and I don't mind Sweden being the total bad ass it really is, it brings up the question of gameplay vs. realism.

Russia seems to kick the crap out of Sweden, according to that screenshot.

Well, considering that they are multiplicative effects, the presumably low base numbers for Sweden will likely still make it the weakest by far of the 8 GPs in this game.

General Winter
General Winter has foiled so many military invasions and is Russia's secret weapon. Only Russian soldiers will not have supply issues tied to the seasons. Let the snows come - Russia's fighting men will still eat.

And what about winter supply problems for invaders? Will it be more severe than in the rest of Europe during winter?