• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolSara

Lt. General
103 Badges
Dec 26, 2009
www.sarawendel.se
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • War of the Vikings
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
So, we meet again? Welcome to the March of the Eagles developer diary 17, where the two German powers, Austria and Prussia, go head to head. As we measure these masters of central Europe, who will get your eager leadership? Which of the eagles will you lose to?

Introducing combatant 1: Prussia

Prussia’s national ideas

Having come out of the Seven Year’s War as one of the strongest and most militarized states in Europe, Prussia controls the continental route to the Baltic Sea and its army has become a byword for professionalism and efficiency. It was one of the leaders in the early wars against the French Republic, but called it a day with the Treaty of Basel in 1795. In the years before March of the Eagles starts, Prussia used the French wars against Britain and Austria as an opportunity to grab even more German lands, including Hanover for a time. But Prussia won’t just play along with France for long – it may cede the west bank of the Rhine, but central Europe is another matter.

Prussian Discipline
The Prussian Discipline will increase the mobility and defense of the guard troops.
Guard defense: +25%

Prussian Virtues
The introduction of Prussian virtues will lead to a modern legal order, administration, officer corps loyalty to the crown, and patriotism. This is especially important for keeping Polish and Danish territories peaceful.
National revolt risk: -2.00

Abolish Serfdom
As Enlightenment ideas spread through Germany; it becomes clear that the old ways of ruling the people are inadequate. Liberate the peasants from serfdom!
Morale of Armies: +0.25, Morale of Navies: +0.25

Prussian Military Academy
The new Military Academy will educate soldiers and commanders for the Prussian General Staff.
Morale of Armies: +0.25
National Manpower Modifier: +25%
Land Maintenance Modifier = -0.25

Prussian Education System
The new education system will introduce an official language and train young men for the military and the bureaucracy.
National Tax Modifier: +5%
Monthly Diplomats: +1
Monthly Idea points: +5

Prussia is in a curious position. The status quo does not suit Prussia, for too long we have played second fiddle to Austria in German affairs and even our gain of Silesia has not tempered Austria's arrogance. We must be free of Austria, but to merely replace her domination with that of France is no better outcome. This is going to take cunning diplomacy and masterful military timing to prosper, but prosper Prussia shall. Prussia’s main challenge is that it is surrounded by three major powers (Austria, France and Russia) each of which can impose its will if Prussia can’t find an ally to back it. Prussian naval dominance will depend on controlling the Baltic, and it will need to juggle its alliances to keep hope of land dominance.

Introducing combatant: Austria
A new name for an old thing, the Austrian Empire is the Hapsburg Monarchy recast as more a national and less a dynastic phenomenon. But make no mistake – Austrian power is based on centuries of directing the course of events in Central Europe, standing against Turkish expansion to the south and being the center of German culture. Vienna is at least as classy a town as Paris.

The age of her dynasty means that all great victories will echo throughout Europe, but Austria is surrounded on all sides and stuck with a hidebound aristocracy. Can you restore the double eagle to its rightful place at the top of the European heap?

Austria’s national ideas

Glorious Arms
The legendary Austrian army carries the burden of centuries with it, so our adversaries will tremble with fear with every triumph.
Prestige from Land battles: +25%

Spy Network
Austria is a polyglot empire of German, Czechs, Italians, Hungarians and Balkans peoples. Be on the lookout for trouble. The Network of Spies will monitor dissent and report to the secret police.
National Revolt Risk: -2

Military Frontier
The Frontier soldiers are professional military, ready to move to all European battlefields.
National Manpower Modifier: +50%
Land Maintenance Modifier: -25%

Austrian Army Reorganization
To defeat our enemies we need to adopt the nation in arms principle and the French war organization and tactics.
Morale of Armies: +0.25
National Manpower Modifier: +25%
Land Maintenance Modifier: -25%

Austrian National Bank
The Austrian National Bank is founded with the aim of reestablishing monetary order in Austria.
National Tax Modifier: +5
Interest: -0.50

Even more than Prussia, Austria’s position is almost untenable. Austria is under pressure on all fronts. In the west we have lost control and influence in the Low Countries and Italy to France. In the north, Prussia is putting pressure on our pre-eminent position in Germany and to the east we have an advancing Russia and the loss of the Polish buffer state. Only the south is quiet, but there is no guarantee it will remain so. It may be safe to expand into Turkey, but what happens when our back is turned? Fortunately, Britain is once more at war with France. This is an opportunity to regain our position in the west and improve our strategic position. There is a danger, we have done this twice before and both times we paid for the defeats with humiliation and land. Do we risk it but can we dare not?

The Central European major powers are both very challenging to play and will require more deft diplomacy than, for example, Russia or Britain. There is no easy way they can survive on their own with a purely military game. And they must watch each other, since both Prussia and Austria have legitimate claims to being the dominant German state; Prussia is the rising power, but Austria has the power of tradition. They only need a Metternich like yourself to make the most of it.

Let the game begin, who has your vote?

Cheers,
Solsara

View attachment MotE_4.jpg View attachment MotE_5.jpg View attachment mote_austrian_bavarian_battle.jpg View attachment mote_austrian_brigade_detail.jpg View attachment mote_large_prussian_russian_battle.jpg View attachment mote_prussian_army_evades.jpg View attachment mote_prussian_province_recruitment.jpg View attachment mote_prussian_vc.jpg

It would be great if Vicky2 would get a military system like this one...

Hoping for DLC or expansion...

Wow, two great countries. I'd take Austria, I really enjoy this country in other games (Victoria 2), and I'm thinking several pathes to have a good game... there are so many options to confront not directly with France (Italy), to have a good war trying to knockout a huge contendant and securing a front (Ottomans, Russia...). And of course, fighting Prussia for Central Europe.

guess russia was busy freeing a polish puppet after the great battle of plunge (130k total on both sides!)... but got whacked in the back by ottos :D

Since the HRE tag is already present, would it be possible for a resurgent Austria to repudiate the Treaty of Pressburg and restore the empire
(for example, enacting a decision after becoming the dominant land power and reestablishing hegemony over lost territory).

Last edited:
Johan, sorry for hijacking the thread but is there at least a remote possibility that you will someday use this military system with Vicky2 (as expansion)?

none.. just won't work.

Great stuff! I will be compelled to go with my beloved Prussians as always. We have let others controll events for much too long. That will end now!

:eek:hmy::eek:hmy: Wow, changes, have to back my words (a little anyway) :wacko:
(Wielun and Miedzyrzecz are on the map, why them and not their neighbours (Poznan, Kalisz, Lodz, Leszno, Czestochowa)? :confused: )

With caveat that same names are hard to read.

Selected Russian cities in Lithuania/Latvia
Mittau is German name - if you want Russian it should be Jalgava
After change I have finally identified what you call Schowli (Šiauliai), English wikipedia transcribes historical Russian name as Shavli
Tauroggen - remain as it was (not Russian name)
Plunge - looking at Russian wikipedia "русское дореволюционное название Плунгя́ны" =Plungiany (my own transliteration)

Duchy of Warschau (I wonder how this revolter will be named anyway)
- Miedzyrzecz is Meseritz in German if you care to be consistent and Wielun has its German name as well
- Leisen remains, I just hope it is not supposed to be Leszno (Lissa in German)

And looking at the province borders, 1815 border will be really strange (and ahistorical)

Austria:
it seems to me that it should be Jaslo instead of Jasto (the actual Polish letter is ł)

still no Venedig but Krakau and Premissel, Jaroslau (Jaroslaw) - three prov with German names, rest of names looks like Polish

I will also add one remark regarding names: Tuetz (Tuczno) (and probably Kreiss - ? as well). AFAIK they had no significance at all (I even found history of Tuczno, and e.g. in 1774 it had 138 houses of which only 3 had ceramic (pottery?) roof and next listed item was big fire in 1838).

Edit: I did not notice three changes closer eastern borders. And going back to provinces owned by Prussia in 1805 at least Suwalki, Lomza and Ciechanow have their German names as well ...

Last edited:
IIRC Prussia's generals are pretty bad in this time period (or at least in the early time period, before the reformers took over in the 1812s). Speaking of which, will Von Clausewitz be an available general for the Prussians/Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.