• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolSara

Lt. General
103 Badges
Dec 26, 2009
www.sarawendel.se
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • War of the Vikings
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Welcome to the 16th developer diary for March of the Eagles and now we turn our eyes to an island that should never be underestimated. It is small in territory, large in potential and the greatest threat to total French domination.

Great Britain is one of the great powers you can play and win with in March of the Eagles. With one of the great natural borders of history – the English Channel - protecting it, Britain is secure from invasion so long as that border can be safeguarded. Victory in the Seven Years' War guaranteed that Britain would be the pre-eminent naval power for some time, and not even the loss of thirteen American colonies changed that. Great Britain enters the Napoleonic era with near total mastery of the seas.

Remaining in this position requires just one thing - the balance of power on the continent must be maintained. Should any single European nation build a coalition or empire large enough to cow its neighbors, Britain would face a concentrated foe with much greater resources. The forces unleashed by the French Revolution threaten to upset this balance, and so Britain eventually emerged as France's principal foe. The Treaty of Amiens, negotiated to restore some semblance of balance between the two powers, is now a dead letter. Bad faith on both sides of the table led to Britain declaring war on France on the 18th of May 1803. March of the Eagles takes up the struggle two years later. Britain still rules the oceans while France is building an impenetrable fortress on land.

This is a fight to the finish, and Britain expects that every man will do his duty.

Great Britain's five unique ideas are:
• Press Gangs
• Bank of England
• Brown Bess Musket
• Parliamentary System
• The Wooden Wall

Press Gangs
Press Gangs were long a cornerstone of English naval recruitment policy. People won’t or can’t volunteer to serve on naval vessels, so crews scour the cities and take men by force without notice, crewing the many warships of Great Britain. This idea cuts British naval maintenance by one third.

Bank of England
The Bank of England is the central bank of Great Britain and acts as the English Government's banker. The power of the British pound and stability of her economy means that the Bank of England can reduce British interest payments to a degree unseen in other nations – and since this will be an expensive war, this is a very handy power.

Brown Bess Musket
The Brown Bess musket is every infantry soldier's best friend and the standard armament of your British redcoat. This reliable firearm gives British infantry a 25% bonus to their attacks.

Parliamentary System
The Parliamentary System is a democratic government in which the ministers of the Executive Branch derive their legitimacy from and are accountable to a Legislature or parliament and thus the Executive and Legislative branches are interconnected. The rise of strong Prime Ministers in the Seven Years War and Napoleonic Era has added greater legitimacy to government in an age of Revolution, so there is a -3 penalty attached to the likelihood of revolts.

The Wooden Wall
The Oracle of Delphi once told Athens to seek security behind a wooden wall, and now Britain does the same. The sturdy oak has become the main construction material for sailing warships, giving British hulls added durability. Royal Navy vessels, small and large, get bonuses to their attacks.

Great Britain’s Events
Like all the Great Powers, Great Britain has been given a number of minor flavor events drawn from history. They won’t, of course, happen at precisely the same time every time you play since we don’t want the game to play out too deterministically. And, since these are flavor events, their main purpose is to add some color to the period and maybe teach you about some of the minor things going on in the country during this time period.

Here are a few examples of events Britain may experience in the game:

Lord Spencer Perceval assassinated
The Prime Minister Lord Perceval was shot through the heart in the lobby of the House of Commons by a mentally unsound man called John Bellingham. He died almost instantly, uttering the words 'I am murdered'. Bellingham gave himself up to officers.
For this event to occur, Great Britain must be at war with France, after the start of 1812 and the Prime Minister Lord Spencer Perceval must have appeared. British land and naval forces will suffer a slight morale penalty.

Horse Patrol in London
The London Horse Patrol is founded with the object of checking the increase of highway and foot-pad robberies in the neighborhood of the metropolis. The unit could now provide protection on all great roads within 20 miles of Charing Cross. This is the first formal mounted police force in the world.
This event has very simple triggers and gives the province of London greater tax income.

The Luddite Movement
Replaced with less-skilled, low-wage labour, the English textile artisans was left without work. Destroying mechanized looms were their means of protesting against the changes and thus the Luddite movement started spreading, in Nottingham at first, causing rebels to arise...

This starting event will trigger a small event series that will create revolts and unrest in Great Britain.

And that wraps it up for the land of Wellington and Nelson, Aubrey and Sharpe. Next week we’ll have a look at something almost as interesting ;)

Cheers,

SolSara

View attachment mote_gbr_admiral_gains_trait.jpgView attachment mote_preparing_for_trafalgar.jpgView attachment MotE_3.png

Read more:
Web-page
Facebook
Twitter
DevDiary Archive

[video=youtube;CnA95iiYyYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnA95iiYyYo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems quite epic. I hope these are not the only events unique for great britain. Very nice additions, especially the luddites which i remember have been talked about on the forums.

I just need to post this:

[video=youtube;TtdPhR7CWCg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtdPhR7CWCg[/video]

PS: in addition by their geographical advantages, by their bonuses it seems that GB will smash easily every enemies... as ever. Damn those peacocks!
I wonder how will other countries' bonus balance GB's power.

Seems quite epic. I hope these are not the only events unique for great britain. Very nice additions, especially the luddites which i remember have been talked about on the forums.

There are more events for Great Britain, don't you worry! The Luddite Movement is the start of an event serie. :)

I hope these are moddable? So does everyone just get bonuses but no maluses?
Especially the Brown Bess bonus is ridiculous.

They are moddable.

So what about maluses?
Like for example, differences with officer corps and their reforms and such. The French had a pretty good system based on merit rather than the British one for example.

Are...are those WoW/COD/Diablo 3 floating hp numbers? Can those be disabled in the menu? I can just imagine a HOI3 battle line with that activated, it would be like a disco. Also, when can I preorder ;).

Last edited:
Are...are those WoW/COD/Diablo 3 floating hp numbers? Can those be disabled in the menu? I can just imagine a HOI3 battle line with that activated, it would be like a disco. Also, when can I preorder ;).

Have you never seen those numbers before? You know, the ones that show come up every day to show how many soldiers died that day. They have been in Vic2 and EU3, games I'm sure you've, at some point, been playing.

I am unsure about Britain having a bonus to their navy, isn't it going to have the largest navy by default and therefore be superior to its competition and the bonus just making it even more difficult to catch up?

I hope these are moddable? So does everyone just get bonuses but no maluses?
Especially the Brown Bess bonus is ridiculous.
I agree, this bonus set seems a mixed bag, from a historical point of view. Press Gangs (mainly from merchant vessels and fishing boats, by the way, rather than cities), Bank of England and Parliamentary System all seem good, but the Charleville was every bit as good as the Brown Bess as an actual weapon, and American warships were, ship-for-ship, pretty clearly superior. Rather than these two I think I would have:

"Go Straight At 'Em!": Nelson's advice to several of his captains, meaning "don't be afraid to close and fight!". Should mean opposing naval forces lose morale more readily and quickly when facing the Royal Navy ('cos they know they are facing a bunch of mad buggers!!)

"Regimental System": The British system of Regiments bound the men in them to what amounted to a surrogate family. The system made Brigade and Division level coordination less universal than in the excellent Grand Armee of 1805, but enabled the thin line of redcoats that stood silent until a column was within 50 yards - and then spewed out volley after volley, creating a maelstrom which caused even the Imperial Guard to recoil, in the end.

So what about maluses?
Like for example, differences with officer corps and their reforms and such. The French had a pretty good system based on merit rather than the British one for example.
I think a system that uses only bonuses isn't really a problem - a penalty is only the lack of a near-universal bonus, from one perspective, after all.

As for the system of rank purchase, it's interesting that a considerable debate was underway in Britain at the time and the advantages of a "merit" based system are not as clear as we tend to assume. My own experience working in business (which tends to use a "merit" system) suggests to me that this is an argument with some substance.

Systems of promotion by merit are unsurpassable in theory, but they suffer from one rather serious flaw: they assume that those responsible for promotions are capable of recognising true "merit". This can work well - and the French Army at this time had the singular advantage of having a man who indisputably could recognise merit at its head - if the people currently in high position are very able. In the absence of such singular circumstances, however, systems of merit tend to lead, as one correspondent said of them at the time, to promotion by "patronage and time served". In other words, those fortunate enough to be friends with those in power, or who manage through time to become friends or toadies of the same, are the ones who get promoted. Unless someone quite exceptional is in charge, this certainly is true in businesses today.

So, in summary, I would say that, if anything, the peculiar and advantageous position enjoyed by the French Grand Armee in this respect was, if anything, an 'advantage', rather than any 'disadvantage' that might be ascribed to other armies of the period.

I am unsure about Britain having a bonus to their navy, isn't it going to have the largest navy by default and therefore be superior to its competition and the bonus just making it even more difficult to catch up?

Yes.. but ships are also fairly useless. You cannot occupy paris with ships.
And typically in paradox games. you cannot even bombard a city into submission. (iirc vicky had a bombard bonus, taking even 90% of the fighting ability from the bombarded one)

Probably the easiest is France... right? Just take one at a time

And following the usual rule, no conquering thru buffer states. Gotta have your own land connection.
Or sea, as its kinda hard to have a land connection to islands and albion.

So as long as that is followed, the army kept strong and never over extended.. even russia should be a cakewalk. (especially as prussia and austria have ceased to exist, fully annexed, at that point).

"Yes. To fight correctly is to fight with the passion of an accountant"
-ikki (famous virtual world conqueror. An efficient but boring ruler of the world.)

I am really looking forward to playing as GB, I find that in Vicky the Empire is so large and sprawling that it is too difficult for an average player like me to manage, so a pared down GB with just focus on Europe will be a real treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.