• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birken

Mastermind
Paradox Staff
4 Badges
Sep 28, 2009
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
“An army marches on its stomach.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

Welcome to the March of the Eagles developer diary and today we talk about one of the most vital factors in winning a war: Food. Soldiers are hungry bastards. Soldiers want food. Soldiers fight better if they get food. Soldiers like you more if you give them food. If you don´t give them food, they might run away since they are hungry and grumpy and want to go home. And don´t give them just cookies, OK? A diet of tiny sweets will not get you closer to Moscow.

Supplies
Every soldier marches on his stomach. Your soldiers need food and equipment, commonly known as supplies in March of the Eagles. Supplies are essential to keep a war going, especially if there are signs that it will drag on – like Napoleon’s wars did. If you run out of supplies, you reinforcement rate is lowered and troops will regain their morale more slowly. The lower your army’s morale, the more soldiers are likely to desert from battles and, of course fewer battles are won. An army low on supplies gets a negative modifier to their attack power in combat, so they will lose more often and will also be less effective when besieging hostile fortresses.

Units out of supply will use twice as much of the supply limit in the province as they scavenge the landscape for anything to fill their bellies, thus increasing attrition in the province, shrinking your armies and making them much less effective in battle.

You can see your supply balance in the Military View. There you can find your total production numbers and the total usage of supplies by opening the Military view and hovering the mouse pointer on the Supply Balance's numbers.
Here you can also see the production of supplies in each supply area, with the names of the provinces and the amount of supplies each produces. Your army's usage can also be seen here, with the name of the army followed by the total amount of supplies used.

Supply Generated
Supply Generated simply tells you how much supply is produced by a province. You can increase the amount of supply generated by building Depots, locations to store and centralize distribution of supply. Depots are also valuable targets. When capturing a province, you will also capture any supplies currently stored there, so an army might be forced to capture new cities if its supply lines have been broken.

Supply limit
Each province has a supply limit. Supply limit is the maximum amount of troops a province can supply without causing attrition. Think of it has a maximum occupancy number you might see at a bar or restaurant. Sure, you can cram more people in there, but if you go over a certain number, things get uncomfortable, nothing works smoothly and it could lead to a a dangerous situation.

In March of the Eagles, like in other Paradox developed games, attrition is the gradual wearing down of your army from lack of space and supply. This can cost you thousands of men if they are forced to stay put in too small a location. If attrition does come in play, the army will suffer from it until it is moved to another province (hopefully one with a higher supply limit) or until a more reasonable number of troops are standing in the province.

There are several factors that affect the total amount of troops a province can supply: Terrain, provincial wealth, location of depots and cities, the Civilization level, road networks, etc. You can build depots or improve the road system to increase a province’t supply limit. You can check which factors are in play for a province’s supply limit by hovering the mouse pointer over the limit. But we've also added a new map mode to help you quickly judge where the best supply locations are. The Supply map mode shows how many supplies are available in the provinces. (Press "P" on your keyboard to toggle supply map mode. Hot keys are fun!) Use the map to plan where to put your big armies, or maybe it will help you reconsider how you are dividing your forces.

View attachment MotE_1.png
Winter isn't just fun and games.

Nice DD thank!

Units out of supply will use twice as much of the supply limit in the province as they scavenge the landscape for anything to fill their bellies, thus increasing attrition in the province, shrinking your armies and making them much less effective in battle.

Does that mean a little army (like a bunch of cossacks) doesn't need supplies from a supply need since they scavenge all their needs?

Supply limit is the standard EU3 system, correct? Except that in EU3 you increased a province's supply limit by building fortifications and improving Land Tech, while in MotE you build depots and improve the roads.

However, the first part of the Dev Diary implies that you've also added actual supply points being generated in provinces and consumed by armies, separate to the supply limit. Is that right? The screenshot doesn't seem to show anything indicating how many supplies the army being shown currently has available. Is this like the Hearts of Iron system, where supply is generated in cities and moved province-by-province in the direction of units that need it; or is it more like the system in AGEOD's original Napoleon's Campaigns where units actually carry supply with them, and get it topped up (up to their maximum limit) if they're in a province that provides more supply than they can use?

Supply limit is the standard EU3 system, correct? Except that in EU3 you increased a province's supply limit by building fortifications and improving Land Tech, while in MotE you build depots and improve the roads.

However, the first part of the Dev Diary implies that you've also added actual supply points being generated in provinces and consumed by armies, separate to the supply limit. Is that right? The screenshot doesn't seem to show anything indicating how many supplies the army being shown currently has available. Is this like the Hearts of Iron system, where supply is generated in cities and moved province-by-province in the direction of units that need it; or is it more like the system in AGEOD's original Napoleon's Campaigns where units actually carry supply with them, and get it topped up (up to their maximum limit) if they're in a province that provides more supply than they can use?
My guess is the latter, since you actually have supply units. Otherwise, what would their purpose be?

Nice DD thank!

Does that mean a little army (like a bunch of cossacks) doesn't need supplies from a supply need since they scavenge all their needs?

They'll probably won't take attrition, but if they lack supplies, they'll be less effective in combat. But yes, as long as they conquer new provinces, the can grab whatever supplies are stored there.

Supply limit is similar to eu3.

Just below the attrition value, there's a bar showing how much supplies the unit is carrying. Supply trains won't use supplies, but can carry a lot of them, most troops can carry about a week worth of their own supply consumption.
There's a system that automatically transfers supplies between areas and through ports. The system is less detailed and not as centralized as in hoi3, as supplies are produced locally and then sent to where they're needed.

Will it be possible to build supply depot in allied or occupied countries? For example before invading Russia Napoleon built huge stockpiles in Prussia and the Grand Duchy of Warsaw and, during the course of the invasion, built more within Russia. A big part of the fiasco that followed was caused by rear area commanders failing to protect those stockpiles?

Looking forward to release date. Other players may prefer the East-West game coming up, but I will
probably spend my time playing MOTE(March of the Eagles) until EUIV comes out.

You forgot to put this DD on the frontpage (at least I think the others were there).

Geezus those screenies of Russians fighting Swedes in Finland make me drool. I have a mega-interest in the Russian-Swedish war of 1808-09. I've always wanted a game to reflect that historical situation and let me play the war. That war hasn't been done convincingly in any game before. Do it good, Paradox!

Dunno if i fullty understood that.

Each province has a "maximum number of people it can house", after which they begin dying.
In addition to that, there is supply, without which they fight like tired old men or run away.

Each province also seems to generate supply, so in effect.. this works much like a semi-hard maximum manpower for eah empire.
You may increase this limit in the usual way of conquest, or being more of a wuss.. by building supply depoes.

-------

Nothing much mentioned on the flow of supplies tho. Being surrounded or cut off from your empire would be bad.. but roads as such dont appaear to make the spread of supply better? (100 supplies over a mountain or 30 supplies at the end of a wide and well defended road being the same?)

Or then something a bit closer to HOI, except you cannot touch the supply slider in your economy much. And roads are mainly a faster way of getting your troops to battle.

I am really looking forward to this game, though I am not sure which nation I will try out first.

Does attrition also lower morale?

Okay, so it works like this:

Province A produces 5 supply. There is no army in province A. The army is in province C. The 5 supply in province A can move to province C via province B, right? So, if the army in province C is in supply, it can get those 5 supply.

So, can the 5 supply in province A reach province C instantly? Or does it move 1 province a day like HOI3?

Related question: Can I move supply through satellites and members of my coalition? Can Prussia and Austria be supply depots for French armies invading Russia? And if Prussia and Austria are acting as part of my supply network, can they screw me by leaving my Coalition?

I'm kind of wondering just how byzantine (ha ha) politics can get when it comes to marching armies across continental Europe.

I have to say I don't like the supply limit at all. Why won't you just do it like AGEOD does?
The supply limit has always been very artificial and now that we have actual supply, why would you keep this abstract system in place?

No it doesn't. In reality you should always be suffering attrition but we skip that bit.

Can I ask why? You could finally be making a realistic wargame here for a big audience.

I have to say I don't like the supply limit at all. Why won't you just do it like AGEOD does?
The supply limit has always been very artificial and now that we have actual supply, why would you keep this abstract system in place?
Well, the AGEOD system is pretty unrealistic because it allows you to pile unlimited numbers of troops into a narrow frontage, as long as you can keep the supply wagons flowing. Besides, some level of abstraction is essential unless you really want to track every bean and bullet in an army half a million strong.

Can I ask why? You could finally be making a realistic wargame here for a big audience.

It ia all about information. What would happen is a small stream of manpower is lost and then replaced leaving little or no change in the actual army but giving the player a constant stream of numbers. Now this will clutter up the interface, require programmming time and perhaps mosy importantly put drag on the CPU. So we consider it better to accept a simplier system for attrition and accept it is not 100% acurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.