• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Welcome to the second developer diary for the upcoming strategy game March of the Eagles from Paradox Development Studio. Today we want to let you find out more about the victory system :)

The Victory System
As many of you know, most of our games are very open ended and you as a player set your own goals in what you want to accomplish. We have two exceptions among the games we have developed. The Hearts of Iron series that is very open, but still has the goal to win WWII and Sengoku, where we first introduced set victory conditions - which meant that you as a player had the overall 'goal' of uniting Japan.

In our upcoming wargame March of the Eagles, we are introducing set victory conditions inspired by the games above. But the ‘goals’ is not as simple as winning a war, because people are making and breaking alliances all the time, switching teams and so on. So what we have done is that we created a 'Domination' system. Your goal is to become the dominant land and naval power in Europe, and there are several ways of making this happen.

Eight Major Powers
You can play as any country in Europe, but there are only eight countries that can really 'win' on their own. It's very similar to the set up in Hearts of Iron, where you can only really win the war if you're part of the Axis, Allies or Comintern. In the Napoleonic era, you have eight countries that can win the game on their own, and they all have different ways of winning.
The following countries have victory conditions. France, Great Britain, Russia, Austria, Prussia, Sweden, Spain & The Ottoman Empire.

Land Dominance & Naval Dominance
To acquire Land Dominance, you need to hold 7 key land provinces out of a possible 11. To acquire Naval Dominance, you need to hold 7 key port provinces out of a possible 11.
Each of the majors starts a with a different number of victory provinces already in their possession at game start, giving some countries a leg up when it comes to victory. This also gives the majors a differing level of challenge when you come to play them. For example: France starts the game land dominant and Great Britain is naval dominant. These two countries are already half way to victory.
Only one country can be dominant in each category at the same time. This means that even if you meet the other requirements, you need to make sure the current holder gets defeated and loses its status as dominant country in order for you to become dominant.

Different directions
Each major power has different key provinces needed to achieve dominance, creating different natural enemies for each great power at the beginning of the game. This also allows countries to cooperate with each other, for a while, while still advancing yourself towards victory.

Prestige
If the game session ends without any power winning a conclusive victory (being both land dominant & naval dominant), the major power with the most prestige will be the winner. Prestige is gained for various actions throughout the game, victories on the battlefield being a key component.

Minor Countries
Playing as a minor country it is still possible to be one of the winners. However, instead of winning yourself you need to be the ally of the winning Great Power. As a minor power you need to work our which way the wind is blowing and be on that side. Then be ready to jump ship at the right time.
Satellite states cannot jump ship so if you jump ship too early you may see the error of your ways at the point a bayonet. This gives minor countries an interesting gameplay all of their own. Also all is not lost if you happen to hold a province that is in the sights of a major power. A major power is considered to control a province if it is held by a satellite nation, so surrender is always an option.

That´s all for now, stay with us next week where we spill the beans about diplomacy!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    2,4 MB · Views: 12.448
Last edited by a moderator:
It's nothing new to have major powers of different levels of strength, all truly historical games have that.

Italy is considered a major in HoI3, for example, in spite of being a midget compared to Ger/USSR/USA.

Consider also that 8 "winnable majors" offers more variety than only 5 or 3.
And no one is forcing anyone to play Spain or Sweden if they don't want to.

It's OK to set any number of major powers, no matter 3, 5, or 8. But if the major powers enjoy the privilege of winning on their own, you need to consider it more seriously. Personally, I think none of Spain, Ottomans and Sweden can win on their own in Napoleonic era, even Prussia is open to doubt.

While that is probaböy true, why not have them there as harder countries to play for those who want more of a challenge? And it's not purely random countries either as all of them were involved in these wars and I've seen several other Napoleonic wargames that include these countries as well.

because the napoleonic wars werent the main concern for the Ottomans

Well it might be when you're playing them.

My point was more in the terms of making 3 (none winable) majors

Who said they're not able to win? Johan only said it will be much harder to win as one of those three countries.

What if I want to play Naples or the Papal State and try to unite Italy. How would I win?

Because it's alt-history and not fantasy :)

I know Sweden Ottoman etc can win! (they could not IRL!! no way and are not really majors) but they are here!! you said you made them "able" to win on their own for challenge, then I asked why not make Portugal or Denmark-Norway or Naples it seems are in able to win solo as a goal ? these three are also free countries and some of them almost (not quite) as powerfull as Sweden was, (some of them stronger in naval actually) whats the reason not to make all free states able to win ??

Sure, I've seen Denmark included as a playable major in some Napoleonic wargames. I guess King and Johan though eight was a good number for the majors (they used the same number in Victoria II as well).

Is that have a link with my last post (disappeared)? Because there is absolutly no link to any beta in my knowledge... It was only a wild guess.

I'm guessing safferli got worried that you were in the beta (I checked the same when I saw the post earlier :D). I'll restore your post.

Clarification: Samwell is not in the beta and his post above was a guess as how it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.