• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No fix for my problem Jamie? Really sorry to bug you, but I want to get to work on my mod.

IndoEsia45: I just extracted the map and found out what the dimensions would equal if they were all together (29952 x 11250 px). After that, it was a lot of cut and pasting. :p
Beware though, it takes forever to make any changes (opening, saving, editing, etc.).

In the end I extract the map in original way and merge them all together manually using Adobe Photoshop. God, my computer ran out of memory when I tried to save it, the whole thing crashed. :wacko:

Time to upgrade...:p

Last edited:
What have I done?

Re-drawn 3 provinces plus added a new one (assigned ID 2602)

What's the problem?

When making step 3 (I have done all steps successful, until I tried to start the game, got a milestone error and thus, re-did everything and noticed this under point 3) it says,

"the number of connections does not match the number of required connections!"

"the number of connections is 14658 (WTF?!) and the number of required connections is 14860"

Well... What I've done to try solve this?

First, I added 14 deletes (since I added 14 connections) plus the 2 that are already there. Didn't work.

Secondly, I added 14 connections and deleted 14 connections. Didn't work.

Lastly, I just created the adjacent.tbl file with the 2 original deleted connections and still got the same text = didn't work.

Could anyone help me out?

Hi dudes :) I have edited the bulgarian province names with photoshop. Now how i can make the names appear in the game? I start the MapMaker but I don't know what to do. Some help will be appreciated ;)

Cheers, Kris :cool:

EDIT: After I have started the map maker I press 1 and the enter. After sometime an error appears:

Log of MapMaker v2.2.1.0
Logging started at: 09.1.2009 г. 10:46:34 UTC

#################################
An exception has occurred.
Exception: System.ArgumentException
09.1.2009 г. 10:49:24
Source: CoreLib

STACK TRACE
CoreLib.Graphics.ImageData`1[T] ToData(System.Drawing.Bitmap)
at CoreLib.Graphics.ImageData`1.ToData(Bitmap b)
at MapEditor.SimpleImageRadishMaker.LoadAPic(Boolean required, String path, ColorType type)
at MapEditor.SimpleImageRadishMaker.LoadFile()
at MapEditor.RadishMaker..ctor(LineData data)
at MapEditor.SimpleImageRadishMaker..ctor(LineData data)
at MapEditor.RadishMaker.MakeFile(LineData data)
at MapEditor.MakeFileTask.TaskOverride()
at CoreLib.Task.DoTask(Int32 index, TaskQueue tq)
at CoreLib.TaskQueue.DoWork(Object value)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)

Why that happens?

EDIT2: When the mapmaker is working it reaches one file: map_468_90 and the the error appears. Is it because I have edited only this file?

EDIT3: I havenot changed any border ot sth else. i have only deleted the old name and entered new :(

LAST EDIT: I have fixed all my problems. 10x for Jamie and his mapeditor ;)

Last edited:
i have a problem...mapextractor won't pull out all the maps. it only gives me to 351_135 and then it dies, and now it won't extract any at all...:(

could anyone post all the maps in a .zip or .rar please? thanks!

EDIT:

right, that problem's been solved. i've got a new problem, however, it keeps detecting stupid colors that are only 1 or 2 off from the 'actual' color, i.e. 63;127;129 instead of 64;128;128 (what it's supposed to be). any solutions?

Last edited:
Will it someday be possible that we can actually add provinces apart from the 40 unused ones? I know that the HoI2 source code has been made semi-public, and that the Arma 1.3 Patch changes many hardcoded things, so it doesn't entirely sound like wishful thinking to me.
I'm currently working on remodeling the whole world, and while I'm still at drawing coastlines and haven't begun working on the provinces yet, I already stumbled across things like Afghanistan having about the same size as France while having less than one tenth of the provinces. So I'd like to add more provinces to certain regions, but I certainly don't like taking provinces out of important battle theatres.
I heard you were working on this problem, Jamie, is this obsolete or was it only gossip?

do you plan any new version of Map Editor or this project is finished? If you plan to continue work on this project you could maybe design tool to edit climate, terrain and regions more easily as all this part of mapmaking is really too time-consuming to set it in province.csv for 2608 provinces (we'll have to edit them all for E3 Map :( ).

I concur, I am working on WIF2 map and this would be really helpful! :)

grrrr i can't seem to even use this! when I try using the extracter it keeps saying "You must make Adjacent.tbl." but what the hell is that and how do you get it!?

I've been playing around with this a little in Arsenal of Democracy. Wanted to see how well AoD would perform with a much higher number of provinces, since the engine province cap was removed. To do this, I started using some of the map data from HoI3, which runs just under 15,000 provinces. This is actually an interesting idea to me, as apart from the base image, I think all the other data necessary to generate an HoI2 version of the HoI3 map would be fairly easy to do.

However, I get error messages any time I try to create the radish files, mostly index out of range errors. I did some testing with a generic HoI2 set of map files, and I think the problem is coming from having an ids.csv file with more than 4000 lines. To test this theory, I ran a base extract with the extractor, and made sure I could compile it back using those files. That worked fine. Then, I opened the ids.csv, simply added a new entry on line 4001, and tried to compile it back again with MapMaker... poof, got the index out of bounds message again.

Does that sound right to you, Jamie? Is there a hard limit in the number of provinces at 4000? If so, could this be changed?

EDIT: I think I found the culprit in the source files. Looks like IdToColor.cs uses a 4000 upper limit in a for-loop, also, looks like the RgbData list structure is only set up for 3000 entries as well. Any chance of having these bumped up to a higher limit, say like 25K? Would that alone do the trick you think?

Last edited:
I've been playing around with this a little in Arsenal of Democracy. Wanted to see how well AoD would perform with a much higher number of provinces, since the engine province cap was removed. To do this, I started using some of the map data from HoI3, which runs just under 15,000 provinces. This is actually an interesting idea to me, as apart from the base image, I think all the other data necessary to generate an HoI2 version of the HoI3 map would be fairly easy to do.

However, I get error messages any time I try to create the radish files, mostly index out of range errors. I did some testing with a generic HoI2 set of map files, and I think the problem is coming from having an ids.csv file with more than 4000 lines. To test this theory, I ran a base extract with the extractor, and made sure I could compile it back using those files. That worked fine. Then, I opened the ids.csv, simply added a new entry on line 4001, and tried to compile it back again with MapMaker... poof, got the index out of bounds message again.

Does that sound right to you, Jamie? Is there a hard limit in the number of provinces at 4000? If so, could this be changed?

EDIT: I think I found the culprit in the source files. Looks like IdToColor.cs uses a 4000 upper limit in a for-loop, also, looks like the RgbData list structure is only set up for 3000 entries as well. Any chance of having these bumped up to a higher limit, say like 25K? Would that alone do the trick you think?
The version of MapUtility that I have, currently, has no limits, and derives upper limits from the settings file. However it seems that this version was never released. If you are in reality planning for provinces above the currently-hardcoded limits, then I can release the current version I have. However it could well have problems with function.

I'd like to try it out. Honestly, I have some doubts whether AoD can really handle close to 15,000 provinces, but I figured this would be a good test of its limits. The added advantage being that the HOI3 files were fairly easy to convert to the format needed by MapUtility for the HOI2 engine. If it does happen to work though, we've suddenly got the vast HOI3 map available for an HOI2 style game...

I get this error when I try to run MapMaker using your dep.rar files. Maybe missing one of the core files for MapUtility object?

Log of MapMaker v2.2.6.0
Logging started at: 5/12/2010 11:47:52 PM UTC

An exception has occurred.
Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Derived from System.IO.IOException
Derived from System.SystemException
Derived from System.Exception
5/12/2010 11:47:52 PM
Message: Could not load file or assembly 'MapUtility, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Source: MapMaker

STACK TRACE
Void BeginWork(System.String[])
at MapEditor.Program.BeginWork(String[] args)
at MapEditor.Boot.Main(String[] args)