• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Space Exploration Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off

How's the space on your hard drive? Paradox wants to challenge your galaxy brain with a great selection of space exploration games - and they're all on sale for some very down-to-earth prices! The sale runs from May 4th until May 10th at 17:00 CEST / 08:00 PDT.

May 4th - May 10th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

MacGowan

AAR Author
2 Badges
Sep 10, 2008
  • Stellaris
  • Darkest Hour
I've been looking through my archives and I stumbled over some old MP maps that I thought perhaps you guys would like. Now that we can declassify them after the wars they were apart of have been over for years ;).

I did a fair bit more MP's before, but I think as I came to the table with a DnD mindset, the people I would play with did not, they were less interested in the immersion aspect of it and more interested in crunching numbers and winning (which is pretty fair). mix that in with the anonymity of online gaming, and it can get tedious real quick. I've had a few beers and laughs with skanderbeg over discord chat while we organised the Royal Navy and got our butts kicked. But for every great moment like that there have been 10 times where some player with broken english asks "why no faster?" "why no faster!" with 7 other players, half of them never responding to anything. But I digress. Over the years I've amassed a few fun maps made in the DnD spirit to infuse some roleplaying element to a often clinical multiplayer experience.

Note, these were actually made before AAWWII and helped set the style for that AAR.
Made with Photoshop, Alienskin's Snap Art 3 and Exposure 4. Also a healthy dose of googled images.

These ones are from a 8 player game. skanderbeg was British Raj (I think) and I UK, he got MC to deal with the large task it is to control the British empire. here we got German controlled Nat Spain, vs skanderbeg's rep. spain.
SpainII.jpg

we lost, and then we believed the Axis would launch an invasion on Norway so we needed to give them a proper battle.
0CommandRE.jpg

1Airforce.jpg

2Navy.jpg

3ArmyRE.jpg

These are from 1 or 2 WWI games. Some were put public on a forum, others were secretly sent as PMs to different nations. I think we start of filling in for another player, playing as Italy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

An attempt by the entente to exploit an opening in the mediterranean as a lone Italian island had been left open.
GW0-Tommy1.jpg

GW0-2John1.jpg

GW0-2John2.jpg.jpg

GW0-2John3.jpg.jpg

GW0-2John4.jpg.jpg

GW0-Tommy2.jpg

GW0-Tommy3.jpg

GW1-germanyAustria.jpg

GW2-FranceUK.jpg

GW3-Ottoman.jpg

GW4-Italy.jpg

GW5-USA.jpg

GW6-USSR.jpg

MacGowan

AAR Author
2 Badges
Sep 10, 2008
  • Stellaris
  • Darkest Hour
Then I think I played as Japan. I ended up selling out my part in the war for all the German islands in the pacific, then struck a deal with the Soviet union while i sold information from one side to the other.

GW7-Japan.jpg

GW7-2japan.jpg

GW7-2japan2.jpg

GW7-2japan3.jpg

GW8november17-1.jpg

GW8november17-2.jpg

GW8november17-3.jpg

GW9february18-1.jpg

GW9february18-2.jpg

PM to British player
GW9Topsecret-1.jpg

GW9Topsecret-2.jpg

GW9Topsecret-3.jpg

PM to German player
GW10Moon.jpg

PM to German player
GW11Topsecret-1.jpg

PM to US player
GW12US.jpg

GW12US-2.jpg

GW12US-3.jpg

PM to USSR player
GW13Topsecret-1.jpg

GW12US-3.jpg

GW13Topsecret-2.jpg

GW14pact-1.jpg

GW14pact-2.jpg

Lots of typos and historical inaccuracies. Hopefully you got a kick out of the style and maybe you got inspired to do something similar in your own game or AAR.

England Expects.
MacGowan

Vlad_Dracul1989

Time Lord
11 Badges
Jun 11, 2015
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Wow. Always loved your graphic work :)

Also great to see so many Great War-related pieces. Hearts of Iron, after all, were always around WW2 and Victoria 2 is mostly 19th century related. Great War is very much still overlooked. Imagine if you could control entire battlefield of Somme or Verdun on very detailed map, every machine gun, every howitzer, Mark I. tank and piece of barbed wire in your hands. Tactical and mini-management heaven :)

MacGowan

AAR Author
2 Badges
Sep 10, 2008
  • Stellaris
  • Darkest Hour
Wow. Always loved your graphic work :)

Also great to see so many Great War-related pieces. Hearts of Iron, after all, were always around WW2 and Victoria 2 is mostly 19th century related. Great War is very much still overlooked. Imagine if you could control entire battlefield of Somme or Verdun on very detailed map, every machine gun, every howitzer, Mark I. tank and piece of barbed wire in your hands. Tactical and mini-management heaven :)
Thank you Vlad! :) I've always enjoyed the WW1 scenario. especially with the secret negotiations you can do in Multiplayer games.

oh, and I've made a Darkest Hour Multiplayer Group on Discord.

https://discord.gg/kxP4XQx
A place where people can casually drop in, shoot the shit, and meet other like-minded.
I know people can often be eager to start a game, but not join one, but hopefully we can keep the DH light alive and get to know each other. :)

Last edited: