• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ireland's population throughout the period was approximately half that of England, and greater than Scotland's. The most powerful political entities in Ireland in 1444 (the earldoms of Kildare and Desmond) aren't even on the map. So yes, Ireland's map should be changed. Nobody's asking for the likes of the O'Malleys to be added.
That and England had such a small hold on Ireland but Meath is so big in this version

Reactions:
We're moving away from language = culture, in other terms of culture the Bretons were much closer to France than Ireland, and having them be forever nonaccepted (and thus culture-converted) by France every game is undesirable. Same reason we put Basque in the Iberian group.
Which is also why Welsh has been put in the British group.

Wait...

Reactions:
Ireland's population throughout the period was approximately half that of England, and greater than Scotland's. The most powerful political entities in Ireland in 1444 (the earldoms of Kildare and Desmond) aren't even on the map. So yes, Ireland's map should be changed. Nobody's asking for the likes of the O'Malleys to be added.

Sorry about the population, in hindsight I remembered that Irelands population was roughly half of England's up until the 19th century. But was Ireland politically and economically really strong enough to have made a difference, even if united? Even if Ireland was increased to 10 provinces for instance, wouldn't it still be 9 opms and 1 province held by England, and the eventual conquest by England or Scotland of Ireland.

Besides the small enclave controlled by England, wasn't some of the Leinster area defacto allied/vassals of England?

So, I see Finland (the province) is still Swedish. Since I'm not an expert on it, I'm going to have to ask if this is accurate?

Reactions:
Which is also why Welsh has been put in the British group.

Wait...

The word 'moving' implies something in progress. If we were already done with it I would say 'have moved away from'. We'll look at the Welsh situation and consider what's most appropriate when we get there.

Reactions:
So, I see Finland (the province) is still Swedish. Since I'm not an expert on it, I'm going to have to ask if this is accurate?

There are probably people who know this better then me but:
Finland is the Swedish word for the coutry Finland, named after the province Finland. Finnish people got another word for Finland (The country, maybe also the province), which is Suomi or something similar. So the notion that the province Finland would be the core part of Finland the country is wrong a comes from people adapting the swedish and not the finish word for Finland the country.
The reason for Finland province being Swedish culture is probably because a majority of the Swedish speaking part os people in Finland lives there. Today they are only a minority of the population, but I don't know if a majority were Swedis Speaking/Swedish Cultured in 1444, hopefully someone can clarify?
Summing it up it: I don't know if the culture is right/wrong, but having it swedish is not closely as stupid as one could belive.

Reactions:
I'd say that historically, Wales WAS culture-converted to English. More recently the Welsh have been trying to revive their culture, which wasn't entirely lost, but which suffered immensely in the EU period.

Even today it hasn't really recovered. In the recent election, UKIP got more of the popular vote than Plaid Cymru. That says something about national sentiment.

They maintained as much of their culture as the Basque and Bretons, with similar numbers of language speakers and plenty of self identification. They have their own sports teams, national assembly and church. They may have been anglicised, but a great deal of that actually happened after the EU4 timeframe due to English workers moving to Wales and diluting the language and culture (at the end of the Eu4 timeframe Welsh was still the dominantly spoken language).

As for Plaid Cymru, they don't really represent welsh cultural identity as much as welsh independence. They also actually gained votes this election, though no additional seats. UKIP, for the first (and hopefully only) time gained a huge number of votes this election, increasing by 3 million across the UK, an increase of over 300% (mainly at the expense of the Liberal democrats). That is the reason they have more votes than PC, an increase in UK nationalism, not a reduction in welsh.

Why would they? A few generic Ruthenian cities being populated by majority of Poles (at certain periods of time) don't make those provinces Polish. Especially when countryside was populated by the vast majority of Ruthenians.
Secondly, at 1444 there was no way that Poles were in majority of Lviv, for example.
Ukrainian culture is strong, no one denies that, but Poles had just as strong presence. No wonder Paradox has problems with cultures, it's nuts. How do you define a Pole or Ukrainian by renaissance standards? Is it place of his birth? His faith? The language he speaks? Or is all that irrelevant and he is what he describes himself as?

Reactions:
What's going to happen to the formable nations Hannover and Westphalia?
They used to require different cultures, but since the Westphalian culture has been made and it now contains all the Hannoverian land, has one of the formable nations been taken out, or do they get a choice of either one, or something else entirely?

I'm very sceptical about Breton and Basque culture added to French and Spanish group. While in respect to game mechanics this decision makes sence there are serious reasons against it:

First. Now in nearly every game there will be no Brittany/Basque country. An alternative outcome which is one of the key concepts of EU series won't be practically possible. The game will be much more railroaded in this regards.
Second. This will cost a lot of flavour for Western Europe. Exactly the possibility of playing a small country which was very different to its (close) neigbours and Great Powers was the most exiting thing about Brittany (and Basque country). Now Brittany is nothing else than one of French minors. The whole exclusivity and hence flavour and motivation of Brittany is scrapped by this change. :(. Btw Wales and Cornwall (and Scotland) would be in English culture group which would result in same bad consequences either.

Instead I would prefer a mechanic when both are in Celtic and unique Basque culture group by the beginning of the game. When relevant regions are long enough controlled by France/Spain an accepted culture outcome will be triggered. So will would have both, unique cultures with a lot of flavour but also no problems with accepted culture issue if the are controlled by major powers.

Reactions:
Belorussian? That is confusing. Isn't that a more modern culture, tbh? Seems strange and out of place.

Reactions:

Short answer: Yes! Without a doubt!

Longer answer: The issue is not without controversy, and for someone who is not familiar with the history, the nomenclature can seem confusing. In the province "Actual Finland" Swedes made up a sizeable part of the population and much of the coastline was 100% Swedish so it's not so simple that "Finland is the country of the Finns".

Earliest population figures I've found place "Greater Finland" (IE the entire region, not the province "Actual Finland", or more appropriately, "Easternland") at 20% Swedish-speaking population in 1610 and it's almost exclusively located in the coastal regions on the west coast.

You could argue that Province-Finland should be culturally Finnish for balance reasons, but the case for making it Finnish for historical reasons is very weak.

Reactions:
Short answer: Yes! Without a doubt!

Longer answer: The issue is not without controversy, and for someone who is not familiar with the history, the nomenclature can seem confusing. In the province "Actual Finland" Swedes made up a sizeable part of the population and much of the coastline was 100% Swedish so it's not so simple that "Finland is the country of the Finns".

Earliest population figures I've found place "Greater Finland" (IE the entire region, not the province "Actual Finland", or more appropriately, "Easternland") at 20% Swedish-speaking population in 1610 and it's almost exclusively located in the coastal regions on the west coast.

You could argue that Province-Finland should be culturally Finnish for balance reasons, but the case for making it Finnish for historical reasons is very weak.

Thanks for clearing that up.

It also makes player-controlled Brittany stronger.
Right now with Brittany being in Celtic group I can go two ways. Either build an insular Celtic Empire which would include from the beginning of accepted culture but scattered regions or I could build a continental, quasi a new Gaul, Empire which is directly connected to my homelands but at least in the beginning is not accepted.

I personally would prefer, due to many reasons, having these two options instead of railroad scenario resulting from the removal from the Celtic group.

Reactions:
Please rename Sapmi into Lapland or Sami or something. Sapmi just doesn't make sense among the other English names.
Sapmi is one of the two English names for the region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sápmi.
And "Sami" would make no sense as a name for a nation; it's the name of a culture/ethnicity, not a region.

Lapland could work in my opinion, but Sapmi also works just fine.

Reactions:
Go away, this hessian stuff is just bullshit, hesse was just unimportant during eu timeframe (compared to palatinate or cologne) and the region pictured as hessian was in no way hessian, rheinlander for the region was totally fine, but like my birth place, my place where i live and where i gone to school are all not hessian, this is just ridicolous.

And on top of that it was the rhenish circle, nothing hessian.

And even if u don't use circles the dialect groups of that region are called rhine franconian (which includes hessian and palatinate franconian) and central franconia (which includes riparian and moselle franconian)

+1

Rhenish instead of Hessian works much better.
If Imperial Circles are used at least use the proper ones.
There was no Hessian Circle ever.

Reactions: