• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Following your logics, Ruthenian and Belarussian cultures should be closer to Polish culture group rather than to Russian in EU4 timeframe. How are you going to deal with this sort of nuances?

We'll decide that when we work on Lithuania. I said we're moving away from language = culture, but we're not going to radically change everything overnight.

Reactions:
Sorry about the Orange text on orange background, its just I'm too lazy to go back and change that.
Can't read it so your picture just takes up place uselessly.

Reactions:
Hey, you are still making southern Estonian provinces Latvian. Very evil, i tell you!

Reactions:
Go away, this hessian stuff is just bullshit, hesse was just unimportant during eu timeframe (compared to palatinate or cologne) and the region pictured as hessian was in no way hessian, rheinlander for the region was totally fine, but like my birth place, my place where i live and where i gone to school are all not hessian, this is just ridicolous.

And on top of that it was the rhenish circle, nothing hessian.

And even if u don't use circles the dialect groups of that region are called rhine franconian (which includes hessian and palatinate franconian) and central franconia (which includes riparian and moselle franconian)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
We're moving away from language = culture, in other terms of culture the Bretons were much closer to France than Ireland, and having them be forever nonaccepted (and thus culture-converted) by France every game is undesirable. Same reason we put Basque in the Iberian group.

Why not just get rid of the Celtic group all together then and shove the Welsh/Irish with the British cultures? [/probably beating a dead horse at this point]

Reactions:
Seeing all Transylvania of Hungarian culture hurts my feelings. I am not nationalist-idiotic but it still feels odd.

Reactions:
Surely Pdox would put a new province in for Devon- which was bigger, economically extremely important, and would buff south-west England and break down the very large Cornwall province- long before the Isle of Man, which never mattered much after the vikings left? If people plan to use it as a pivot for moving between England, Scotland and Ireland, I think moving armies by boats models it well enough (and we have enough implausible straits anyway). The times I think it would be cool to have it are if you wanted a new Viking Invasion or to use it as a staging post for your Spanish Armada, but those won't come up in many games.

Reactions:
Also notably, Czech would be much closer to German then Polish

That isn't true, until mid 17th century (the overall decline of Czech culture), the contacts between the two nations were very close and lively. Also, similar socioeconomic processes were ongoing in both societies.

Reactions:
We'll decide that when we work on Lithuania. I said we're moving away from language = culture, but we're not going to radically change everything overnight.
That's nice to hear some clarification on this. :)

My comments:
  • On the + side:
    • No more Cosmopolitaine. Francien is an ok substitute.
    • Calais in the Flemish group (apperently), instead of Cosmopolitaine.
    • Bavarian/Franconian switch is good.
    • Westphalian instead of Hannoverian is also a good move.
    • The Rheinlander split is much welcome. I have a few comments on the fine détails though.
    • The end of Old-Prussian is appreciated.

• On the - side
    • Vaud and Valais in the Swiss culture don't make sense in EUIV period. Vaud was dominated by the Swiss and not integrated in the Confederacy before Napoleon. Valais was allied to it, but only Upper-Valais while Lower-Valais was French-speaking and dominated by the german speaking part.
    • Savoie province still Lombard don't make sense. Savoy-country always had to decide between its French-cultured part (Savoie-province, Vaud and Valais) and its Italian one (Piedmont, Nice). Therefore, I recommend the creation of an Arpitan or Franco-Provençal culture encompassing Lyonnais, Dauphiné, Vaud, Valais and Savoie-province.
    • I don't understand why you made Hessian so big. If you wanted to use Imperial Circles, Rheinlander would have been better there as the provinces were mostly part of the Upper-Rhenish of Electoral-Rhenish circles.
    • Still no Tirol split between Tirol proper (Austrian) and Trent (Venetian or Lombardian).

• No opinion:
    • Bretons in the French group is ok I guess, given the Basque precedent. Bretons playing the game might not appreciate it, but eh...
    • Montferrat province in Milan is a bit strange. Would have been better either in Savoy or a vassal of Savoy at game start.
Other than this, great improvement. Thanks. :)

Magyar group was added under a different standard. I'm not a fan of it.
My suggestion: a Vlach-Magyar cultural group with Hungarian, Romanian and Transylvanian in it. Much cultural and political interactions between those countries and this solve the issue of Transylvania's cultural mess. :)

Reactions:
Bonus shot of some new revolter tags:
9In7vdL.png

Oh God beautiful.

Reactions:
But shouldn't culture mostly importantly be a tool that models nationalism. Even if two cultures were similar, there would still be a large nationalistic sentiment. So even if lets say the Ruthenian would be more Polish (I don't really like this anyways) than Russian, they still felt nationalistic resentment towards their PLC overlords. So making them in one group wouldn't make sense.

Another example would be the scottish. Even though they were culturally similar to the English they didn't feel as one culture and then the revolts happened.

Reactions:
They will release three or more major patch a year, so we can expect more and more provinces and cultures everywhere.
I sure hope so, I'm just a little worried, because HOIIV is on the horizon
Following your logics, Ruthenian and Belarussian cultures should be closer to Polish culture group rather than to Russian in EU4 timeframe. How are you going to deal with this sort of nuances?
Some provinces in Ruthenia should be Polish, dispersed like Greek colonies. That said nothing is black and white. Language might not be the decisive factor, but it still counts.

Reactions:
We're moving away from language = culture, in other terms of culture the Bretons were much closer to France than Ireland, and having them be forever nonaccepted (and thus culture-converted) by France every game is undesirable. Same reason we put Basque in the Iberian group.

By that logic, shouldn't welsh be part of the British culture group? They are in the same boat as Basque and Breton, just getting converted and then ignored for the rest of the game. They were an integral part of England (and then the UK) whilst still maintaining a cultural identity, there were even welsh members of parliament by the 16th century.

Reactions:
By that logic, shouldn't welsh be part of the British culture group? They are in the same boat as Basque and Breton, just getting converted and then ignored for the rest of the game. They were an integral part of England (and then the UK) whilst still maintaining a cultural identity, there were even welsh members of parliament by the 16th century.
TBH, having Welsh as British culture makes more sense than scottish. If you look at the UK today, the irish are already independent and the scottish want to be independent, but the welsh are just fine with how things are as of now.

Reactions:
Surely Pdox would put a new province in for Devon- which was bigger, economically extremely important, and would buff south-west England and break down the very large Cornwall province- long before the Isle of Man, which never mattered much after the vikings left? If people plan to use it as a pivot for moving between England, Scotland and Ireland, I think moving armies by boats models it well enough (and we have enough implausible straits anyway). The times I think it would be cool to have it are if you wanted a new Viking Invasion or to use it as a staging post for your Spanish Armada, but those won't come up in many games.
Finally, someone who get's England rather than asking for provinces no one will ever use. The Isle of Wight would be way better as an independent province as it actually switched hands a couple of times with the French during this time period, and is in a better place, compared to the Isle of Man!

EDIT: On further investigation, the Isle Of Wight was only occupied by the French, not actually owned by them

Last edited:
Reactions:
Lower Saxony is now Westphalian?
Well, the Circle was named "Niederrheinisch-Westfälisch"
, but I´m not sure if lower saxon would be a better name for the Culture. Maybe Nedderdüütsch? ^^