• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What do you think if we rename Macedonia in Adrianapolis, Salonica into Macedonia and Pelagonia in Ochrid? I think that would be the best deal...IMO of course.

Finellach said:
What area? What in Gods namel are you talking about?!? :confused:

You know what, never mind. I went back and re-read your post to which this line was originally refering. You worded at little confusing, but I misinterpreted you. I thought you were prosing that the province north of Bosnia should be called Rumelia, which I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why you were doing. My bad.

I am using Rumelia as it was used. Rumelia was term for all Ottoman possesions in Europe except Bosnia.

Yes and no. Rumelia was also a province, and that only covered a particular area, much smaller than the region to which you continually refer. In any event, this argument is pointless since I misinterpreted you.

Btw. I am wondering what is your problem? Are you always this agressive or is is just me?

I'm not aggressive. I just take a stand in defence of accuracy. If I knew more about Italy or Germany or France, I'd probably be bugging those people too. As it turns out, for some stupid reason, I got hooked on the history of the Middle East and the Balkans. I'm an idiot that way, being interested in a region where the decendents still want to kill each other for the slights of hundreds of years past, and who all have wildly different interpretations of what happened, frequently only touching on reality before flying off into some fantasy of wounded nationalist pride. I, however, do not suffer from any nationalist fervor for that area, as my ancestors were not from there. I tend to be more objective about it, which pisses off everyone from that area (except the Turks, the Turks always seem remarkably relaxed when they disagree with you). That leads me to believe that I'm actually doing well in reconstructing the region's history for the game. I also like trying to make the game work, which is a lot harder than most people think.

And the game begins in 15th century? Why would you want an obsolete name?

You seem to have a remarkable capacity to read only what you want to read. I already explained my reasons for prefering Hum.

Last edited:
Finellach said:
What do you think if we rename Macedonia in Adrianapolis,

Adrianopolis is too long, and not quite accurate. It was Edirne, the capital of the Ottoman Empire by this time. It was mostly Turkish, the Greeks having been pretty much driven out of their millenia old lands by successive waves of Slavs and Turks.

chegitz guevara said:
Adrianopolis is too long, and not quite accurate. It was Edirne, the capital of the Ottoman Empire by this time. It was mostly Turkish, the Greeks having been pretty much driven out of their millenia old lands by successive waves of Slavs and Turks.

I don't like that name. I think it should be more neutral...Edirne sounds too Turkish...

A General Warning to keep discussions civil, let's respect others views and keep things polite please.
Please report to me anyone making personal attacks.

Finellach said:
I don't like that name. I think it should be more neutral...Edirne sounds too Turkish...

I must say, I agree with this. The best thing would be if we could find some neutral name for the province.

bluelotus said:
I think "Magyar" should be "Pest" as you said , with "Buda" as capital. Pecs should be ok.

I agree.

I have some quotes to central Europe:
Carpathia should be named either Felvidék or Slovakia or Uplands.
Sudetenland should be Böhmerwald or Šumava. (Sudeten/Sudety are located on northern part of Czech crown lands). I really do miss Lusatia on map.

Gaarq

Ironfoundersson said:
It was turkish owned most of the time. And its nice short, short names are good.

It was Turkish owned the whole timeframe of the game, and still is today. It was also the capital of the Ottoman Empire at game start. I don't know of a more neutral name off the top of my head. I suppose Thrace would be best, but then what to call the province with Constantinople in it, Bosporus?

chegitz guevara said:
I suppose Thrace would be best, but then what to call the province with Constantinople in it, Bosporus?

Byzantion?

Gaarq said:
I have some quotes to central Europe:
Carpathia should be named either Felvidék or Slovakia or Uplands.

I agree with the names....more less, but don't you think Hungary looks totally wrong as it is? I mean Carpathia is way too "thin".
What if we divide the upper Hungary in Pressburg/Poszony and Nitra?

To the Southwest we would have slightly modified Odenburg(it should be a bit bigger)....though I don't like that name...what about Panonia? Or Transdanbuia? It should cover almost whole border with Slavonia province and bordering to the east with Banat.

In the middle would be Pest as central and main Hungarian province. To the south-east(more south actually) would be province of Banat which would go even a bit more to the south but also holding chunk of inner Hungary(as opposed in vanilla).

The only problem I see is the Eastern part called Maros in vanilla. I am not sure how this name is valid, but I must say I never heard about it. I know this part was called Grosswardein in german during the Habsburg's.

Finellach said:
The only problem I see is the Eastern part called Maros in vanilla. I am not sure how this name is valid, but I must say I never heard about it. I know this part was called Grosswardein in german during the Habsburg's.

From Wikipedia:

Oradea (Hungarian: Nagyvárad, German: Großwardein) is a city located in Romania, in the county of Bihor (BH), in Transylvania.

It would be really daft to have 'Edirne' as a city-named province if Constantinople next door is to be called 'Western Thrace' or some such, since Constantinople was about a million times more significant.

I think Edirne should be Thrace and the province with Constantinople in it should be Constantinople.

chegitz guevara said:
I thought you were prosing that the province north of Bosnia should be called Rumelia, which I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why you were doing. My bad.

Don't know how you come up with that, but ok... :p

Yes and no. Rumelia was also a province, and that only covered a particular area, much smaller than the region to which you continually refer. In any event, this argument is pointless since I misinterpreted you.

I think you are refering to province of 'Eastern Rumelia'.

I'm an idiot that way, being interested in a region where the decendents still want to kill each other for the slights of hundreds of years past, and who all have wildly different interpretations of what happened, frequently only touching on reality before flying off into some fantasy of wounded nationalist pride.

I think you are generalizing. Not all people are like that and certainly not me.
Thats practice of ignorrant trolls who don't know nothing about history.

I, however, do not suffer from any nationalist fervor for that area, as my ancestors were not from there.

My ancestors are from here and I live here, but I don't suffer from nationalistic fervor as well. I try to be objective as much as I can....in fact I was told before that I am too objective. :p
Perhaps I have to be with all those trolls floating around...

I tend to be more objective about it, which pisses off everyone from that area (except the Turks, the Turks always seem remarkably relaxed when they disagree with you). That leads me to believe that I'm actually doing well in reconstructing the region's history for the game. I also like trying to make the game work, which is a lot harder than most people think.

Why would Turks be pissed off? They never lived there anyway. ;)

You seem to have a remarkable capacity to read only what you want to read. I already explained my reasons for prefering Hum.

What? Shorter name?
Anyway...I already explained why I prefer Herzegovina more. Hum was more a medieval province that had slightly different borders and shape than Herzegovina.

Hive said:
From Wikipedia: Oradea (Hungarian: Nagyvárad, German: Großwardein) is a city located in Romania, in the county of Bihor (BH), in Transylvania.

Hmm....another one bites the dust... :p
I really don't have any ideas regarding this province anymore...

Finellach said:
Hmm....another one bites the dust... :p
I really don't have any ideas regarding this province anymore...

Here are some suggestions for the original Hungarian provinces:
Maros: Alföld (Great Hungarian Plain)
Magyar: Felsõ-Magyarország / Felvidék (both represent Upper Hungary, but I have read that Felvidek is a term from the 19th century)
Carpathia: Karpaty
Presburg: Poszony
Pest: Dunántúl (Transdanubia)
Odenburg: Sopron / Burgenland
Banat: Bánát
Transylvania: Erdély

Classique said:
Here are some suggestions for the original Hungarian provinces:
Maros: Alföld (Great Hungarian Plain)
Magyar: Felsõ-Magyarország / Felvidék (both represent Upper Hungary, but I have read that Felvidek is a term from the 19th century)
Carpathia: Karpaty
Presburg: Poszony
Pest: Dunántúl (Transdanubia)
Odenburg: Sopron / Burgenland
Banat: Bánát
Transylvania: Erdély

Sorry, but I prefer English names when possible...